closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the Nautilus 5711 be discontinued???

Will the Nautilus 5711 be discontinued???

We do love a good rumour thread here at tz, don't we? So will Patek be replacing or discontinuing the 5711 in 2021? Do you care? Wade in on 2021's first epic debate!

https://monochrome-watches.com/rumou...am-discussion/

I couldn't care less, and I own one.

The 5711 must be up there as one of the most over rated watches there is.

Journeyman
    Same way the white dial discontinuation rumours came about so wouldn’t be surprised if discontinued for an upgraded version. Can’t see them completely moving away from a time / date only steel nautilus in the range any time soon!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Bit like Rolex for me Pp is as about as boring as can be. Dull dull dull yawn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oconnorp View Post
    Same way the white dial discontinuation rumours came about so wouldn’t be surprised if discontinued for an upgraded version. Can’t see them completely moving away from a time / date only steel nautilus in the range any time soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    Bit like Rolex for me Pp is as about as boring as can be. Dull dull dull yawn!
    Well maybe a bit like Rolex, but with Rolex we'd be on page 2 now debating the merits of the lugs being a mm thinner....

Patek are far more interesting a brand than Rolex. If they do update, I hope they update the dial colour to be closer to what it is on the perpetual calendar.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    The 5711 must be up there as one of the most over rated watches there is.
    Completely agree with this - I just don’t get the watch worlds fascination with them. I’m in awe of most Pateks, but If I ever step up to buy one it’ll be in precious metal with a complication.

Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    Completely agree with this - I just don’t get the watch worlds fascination with them. I’m in awe of most Pateks, but If I ever step up to buy one it’ll be in precious metal with a complication.

It's not that bad in real life - just think the dial colour is off.

Apparently the leading rumour at the moment is something a bit more upsized - needs a new movement to make that work in my mind, otherwisr the date will look really odd.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    It's not that bad in real life - just think the dial colour is off.

Apparently the leading rumour at the moment is something a bit more upsized - needs a new movement to make that work in my mind, otherwisr the date will look really odd.
    To be fair, it’s an absolutely stunning watch IRL. I can understand that the case geometry might be a bit marmite, though.

Craftsman
    I couldn't care less, I am too stingy to give that sort of money for a watch

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    To be fair, it’s an absolutely stunning watch IRL. I can understand that the case geometry might be a bit marmite, though.
    That could be said with most Genta style/inspired integrated sports watches.....

After all these years I've still never seen one of these in the flesh. I did own an Aquanaut for a while though. The Nautilus is certainly a watch that brings out the haters on here though.

Problem is who are PP going to aim any new model at. They did a 40th anniversary model a few years back with a huge price tag and they were all promised to their VIP customers before they were made. I did see one listed by a grey but they wanted about £140k for it.

It would be nice if they produced a watch that was readily available to those who could afford to buy one.

Didn't take long to turn into Rolex bashing.

I think I'll be equally likely to get a 5711 out of an AD regardless of if they discontinue it or not, so I won't worry about it either way!

5711 Over-rated???
    I’d never call a free 30k payday over-rated

#investment

Craftsman
    I was down for a white dial 5711 before they were discontinued, I know I won't get hold of a blue dial and tbh i've given up altogether now on getting a SS PP

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Didn't take long to turn into Rolex bashing.

I think I'll be equally likely to get a 5711 out of an AD regardless of if they discontinue it or not, so I won't worry about it either way!
    Same, not going to get one either way but do like brands doing changes and upgrades if nothing more than to look at a picture and go ‘ooo that’s smart’

Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    I was down for a white dial 5711 before they were discontinued, I know I won't get hold of a blue dial and tbh i've given up altogether now on getting a SS PP
    The white dial's a beautiful thing.

As an aside, does anyone know anyone who has paid the current silly second hand price for a 5711? It seems to me that if you're a WIS you simply wouldn't pay it and if you're the man in the street, you wouldn't even know what it is.

I sold my 5711 for £14,250 and struggled to get that...not that I'm bitter or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    As an aside, does anyone know anyone who has paid the current silly second hand price for a 5711? It seems to me that if you're a WIS you simply wouldn't pay it and if you're the man in the street, you wouldn't even know what it is.

I sold my 5711 for £14,250 and struggled to get that...not that I'm bitter or anything.
    I sold mine for a little more, but three months later it was worth another £15k, and today... well!

Well clearly people are - I know a few who've sold theirs to dealers in the £40k+ range. Us plebs not really the target on these second hand prices.

Master
    I heard from Federico the dealer-to-dealer price of new 5711 is over $100,000 and there's listing on Chrono 24 at £113,000 - https://www.chrono24.co.uk/patekphil...id17964854.htm

Get in!

I see most of the cheaper watches available have now sold or are on hold!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Well clearly people are - I know a few who've sold theirs to dealers in the £40k+ range. Us plebs not really the target on these second hand prices.
    If only they’d held out for a little while longer...
    It's just a matter of time...

Hopefully if it is discontinued they put a better movement in the replacement. Ideally something that hacks, certainly something with more than 45 hours power reserve. I wonder if they can tap up Tudor to white label one of their movements with an 80 hour power reserve. They could outsource the dial and case finishing to Grand Seiko. Get Rolex to make them a proper clasp and Minase to sort out a truly luxurious bracelet. Boom, we have a winner!

;)

& lose all the charm of the current model...

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Hopefully if it is discontinued they put a better movement in the replacement. Ideally something that hacks, certainly something with more than 45 hours power reserve. I wonder if they can tap up Tudor to white label one of their movements with an 80 hour power reserve. They could outsource the dial and case finishing to Grand Seiko. Get Rolex to make them a proper clasp and Minase to sort out a truly luxurious bracelet. Boom, we have a winner!

;)
    They already have a winner, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    They already had a winner, thank you!
    ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    & lose all the charm of the current model...

It's the things that don't work properly that create the charm. I mean who wants to pay £40,000+ watch where you can set the time accurately or get a decent fit on the bracelet. Certainly not me.

Craftsman
    Imagine how the AD’s would move the other PP’s without the Halo model. It would be updated.
    P.S I like PP but have no desire to own a 5711 (prefer a Calatrava or in the unlikely event of a Euromillions win which I don’t do- a Grand Complication. I’m at odds with this ‘scarcity marketing’ which has infected other brands such as Rolex.
    Last edited by Mysqueek; 22nd January 2021 at 00:13.

It's the things that don't work properly that create the charm. I mean who wants to pay £40,000+ watch where you can set the time accurately or get a decent fit on the bracelet. Certainly not me.
    I have absolutely no problem setting the exact tine, or getting the perfect fit on mine...

It would be awesome if PP spent a month at Minase learning how to do thin bracelets without pin links and without visible screws showing on the sides of the links, and maybe learn how to finish them properly. I'll go out on a limb and state the bracelet for the Minase Divido is the best money can buy and the likes of Patek would do well to learn from what the most talented watchmakers elsewhere are doing and bring that creativity into their stable, else all you are left with is a substandard watch vs what else is out there. That being said Patek aren't the ones charging £100k for it, that is the grey market and what PP are charging is much more reasonable by comparison. If I could buy one today at RRP I'd leap all over it however on the basis that the 5711 is the Bitcoin of watches.

WARNING: Slightly trolling post ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

;)
    The newer movement fitted to the 5711 in 2019 now has a hacking feature
    https://www.horobox.com/en/news-deta...ippe-nautilus-
    showthread.php

Master
    In this world of madness I’m Sure it will have a knock on effect to AP prices as well !

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I reckon there will be a 5711 2.0 so its not really a drama.

Master

I *hate* these watches, but I have to admit, when seeing it in (outstanding) photos like this, I definitely fancy trying one again; specifically the one just like this but with the day/date and moon complication (sorry, I just dont follow the numerical nomenclature of these references) with white dial. It's a guilty pleasure. In the flesh I think they disappoint.

Their yellow gold range (the ones that cost more than the average Audi and go up from there) are sublime though, and I'd have any in a heart beat.

Fanatic photo and quite a nice summer watch but I can't see the dial without seeing a garage door.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I reckon there will be a 5711 2.0 so its not really a drama.
    The rumoured 6711...

Craftsman
    This watch gig is just mental. A quick look at watch finder and they have all been hoovered up! I know investment doesn't sit well on this forum, but looking around, the watch has been for some rather good. Madness. Utter madness

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would bet they have not been hoovered up. WF take items off sale just before or after being discontinued. They did it for the HULK and relisted slowly a few days/weeks later, same watches but for more money.

Last week they had about 6 blue dials listed, from 55-65k, they would not have sold. They were not selling at those prices and stock was growing. This is a great time for WF to take off the market, and then drip feed so they can try and achieve sales.

The madness bit is people think these things are flying out the door at stupid values, they aren't and once the 6711 is out, people will be wanting that. Just look at HULK values, they have dropped back a lot and all after people thought they were 20k+ watches.
    Last edited by Kash; 22nd January 2021 at 16:26.

I sold mine a while ago and it was probably my biggest watch-related mistake. That said, I didn't wear it. It felt light and flimsy on my wrist and I was able to buy some other nice watches instead.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    I would bet they have not been hoovered up. WF take items off sale just before or after being discontinued. They did it for the HULK and relisted slowly a few days/weeks later, same watches but for more money.
    Definitely. That's how they roll.

Craftsman
    Confirmed at Hodinkee

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I have absolutely no problem setting the exact tine, or getting the perfect fit on mine...
    The 1.5-link sorted the fit for me, perfect ever since. Lack of hacking does annoy me though.

Did you ever get your 2nd 5711 (I know you love pairs)?

What would you do now if you had one still? Sit tight or cash in and fill your boots with a larger assortment of classics?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    What would you do now if you had one still? Sit tight or cash in and fill your boots with a larger assortment of classics?
    Throw it in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    The 1.5-link sorted the fit for me, perfect ever since. Lack of hacking does annoy me though.

Did you ever get your 2nd 5711 (I know you love pairs)?
    Still on the list due to production/delays - but I guess I’ll need to move that over to the new model...

The option of the 1.5 link worked very well for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Throw it in the ocean

Useful, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Throw it in the ocean

That's okay for you, the sea is only a few feet deep, so any regrets you can always pile in and get it back. I wouldn't recommend your course of action in the Mersey

Journeyman
    I don't know if it's true or not but it has certainly had an impact on used prices. Lots have disappeared from sale as stated, I guess only watch dealers and owners wanting to cash in will really care what happens next WRT prices. I'm not in the market for a massively inflated priced stainless watch at the moment...

It’s true, officially confirmed today by many Patek AD’s who have been advised by Patek. This has triggered numerous purchases, and I presume some dealers just taking watches off sale in order to offer at a higher price.

Makes the watch offered on SC just before Christmas look very cheap now... and I’m very pleased I didn’t need to sell mine to achieve my house purchase last year.