closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: letters after your name/ post- nominal letters.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Wise move. Otherwise if somebody has a cardiac arrest on the airline flight that you are on you may be called on to resuscitate.

When I first got my PhD, my mates on the council estate I grew up on were more proud than I was and demanded a pub crawl to celebrate. In each pub we'd go in, they'd say "Alan is a Doctor now!"

All great stuff until in one I went in to the toilet for a toilet and someone started explaining to me in great detail about what they thought was the clap and would I take a look...

It all depends on the meaning of the letters, and the context / audience.

I am privileged to have worked closely with four people who can put FRS behind their name. They have something money can’t buy!

Never socially or otherwise but at work in correspondence or signing off a report, absolutely, its the done thing in the industry and its seen as odd if you are a Chartered Surveyor and don't use the MRICS designation.

3 years after leaving college, we went back for a reunion dinner, which was fun.
    By going (and paying the fee for the dinner) my BA (Hons) turned miraculously into an MA (Hons).
    The stupid thing was that my subject was Engineering Science anyway, so why it was an "A", not an "Eng" or even an "Sc" I have no idea.
    Totally pointless guff in 95% of cases.

you have just reminded me to cancel all my subscriptions for my qualifications & use of , as i retired in april last year i have a feeling i will never need to use them again! thank god :-)

Master
    Bell end behaviour.

Master
    I worked hard for my PhD and am certainly not embarrassed using the title. But I only use it in a work context but as I work in a paramedical area I'm careful how I use it to avoid confusion. I don' think my GP calls me Dr but I do him.
    Yes business cards come with my full title and professional qualifications but that's what they're for isn't it?

OK.

Let's focus on the important areas.

Is it acceptable to use post nominals when introducing yourself on a date?

Asking for a friend.

I only use my pre and post nominals in my internal work signature block.

I do treasure my EurIng pre-nominal though, even though it is of no use to me whatsoever.

Master
    I have an MA, an MBA and am a Member of the British Institute of Management *

My letters are MAMBAMBIM which coincidentally is a line from Tutti Frutti.

* Not really, it's a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    OK.

Let's focus on the important areas.

Is it acceptable to use post nominals when introducing yourself on a date?

Asking for a friend.

I’d say your bell end radar is accurate and working effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was at school, I also worked at the local leisure centre and was a lifeguard, doing the lifeguard qualification I was entitled to some letters at the age of 15 or so, something to do with being a member of professional lifeguards or similar. I decided then that letters didn’t really matter that much!

This thread could have been titled: What professional qualifications do you want to tell us about.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    This thread could have been titled: What professional qualifications do you want to tell us about.
    Absolutely none. I'm a complete amateur.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    It all depends on the meaning of the letters, and the context / audience.

I am privileged to have worked closely with four people who can put FRS behind their name. They have something money can’t buy!
    That is very cool and very impressive to be a FRS. Certainly up there with the big hitters and worth so much more than any other honour that can be given in my eyes.

I have a few letters, some academic and some
    Professional. I don’t use them even on business cards. It felt like it was becoming a bit of a dick measuring contest and seeing who could collect most letters, paid for or not!

Better that people in my industry recognise what I am responsible for and what I do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    I very rarely come across someone at work who puts "letters" at the end of their name/ signature. lately however, I have this one guy who has felt the need to put 6 groups of letters after his name. Just something about it that makes me instantly think the person is a bell end. Is this fair of me?

So I ask why do you include letters at the end of you name? is this the done thing these days or was this an old school pre social media day thing to kind of paint a picture of yourself in the new age of the world wide web.
    I only have a few and the only place they're used is on my CV and on LinkedIn. Not unusual. I suppose for formal communications it might be appropriate, but for everyday emails it's a bit too much, I'd agree.

Putting letters on printed stationery is ok. Every time you sign though.... not so much

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    You get an ology, you’re a scientist…

Master
    My employer expects it so I have to use BEng (Hons), ACGI, CEng, MIMechE after my name followed by job title.

I paid my IMechE fees today (and will be reimbursed by my employer). £252.40 for the IMechE and £40 for the CEng.

Great.

So we're agreed it's bad form to do it.

That's a relief as I've just been awarded a Fellowship At The Freemarket Underwriting Committee (Kinetic European Relationships).

Master
    I have about 18-20 I think. More if I include none work related. I find it easier to never use them. Better people work out for themselves I’m an idiot than be a qualified idiot.

Magnum, P.I. was perfectly acceptable, but he did have a tremendous moustache.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I have an MA, an MBA and am a Member of the British Institute of Management *

My letters are MAMBAMBIM which coincidentally is a line from Tutti Frutti.

* Not really, it's a joke!
    When it came time I paid to upgrade my BA to an MA so that I could theoretically put MAMA after my name. (I don't use it anywhere except on my CV, but it amused me.)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    When it came time I paid to upgrade my BA to an MA so that I could theoretically put MAMA after my name. (I don't use it anywhere except on my CV, but it amused me.)
    What did you get the E for?

I could put HND Hort. after my name and Director under it but Gardener describes what I do better.

Master
    Blog Entries
    BSc
    SSc

Great.

So we're agreed it's bad form to do it.

That's a relief as I've just been awarded a Fellowship At The Freemarket Underwriting Committee (Kinetic European Relationships).

Excellent work there!

Have the suffix PhD on my cards because we are forced to do that.
    Don't use the Dr. title anywhere really,
    Do use the Prof. one sometimes when people annoy me, for example went to a meeting once where someone insisted on being called Pastor Fred the whole time so I asked to be be called Professor Fred by them but didn't expect it form anyone else in the meeting.

Other than that most people have no idea I am an Prof/Dr.PhD unless someone else tells them or I mentor them.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    My pet hate is those who add titles to their Twitter handles; especially those who get honours from the Queen. I knew a teacher once who signed his lesson observation forms of other staff with his name followed by OBE.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    To be fair, the head of my wife's school was awarded an OBE (MBE?) and one of the conditions is that you must use the letters - it's expected.

I think that's right, anyway! And I can't be bothered to google it!

I try to undersell myself when making introductions.

(I did get an email once signed off
    Dr Xxxx Xxxx, BSc, ARCS, PhD, DIC, CSci, CPhys, CBiol, CASLAT, MIOP, MIPEM, MIOB, MHEA, FRSB, FHEA

which did set me against them!)

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    My pet hate is those who add titles to their Twitter handles; especially those who get honours from the Queen. I knew a teacher once who signed his lesson observation forms of other staff with his name followed by OBE.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    My line manager was recognised as an Old Brexit Enthusiast this year too. I'll have to keep an eye to see if he uses it on a daily basis.

In my sector (automotive dealergroups) seeing post nominals makes me cringe, on emails and often on linkedin. Especially as the "Ba Hons" is most likely in a discipline that allowed assignments to be written in crayon.

I believe it is much cooler to use contractions wherever possible and actually elevates ones status considerably. So I just go with my first name, preferring to gain respect for my experience and views.

Similar in many ways to Jesus.

The exclamation mark in my username is purely self-aggrandisement.

To heighten the enjoyment of the graduation ceremony? Or he is probably just holding it for a friend.

Naff.

However, being nosey, I wouldn’t mind seeing qualifications, subjects, recent relevant experience in posts on the Covid thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post

(I did get an email once signed off
    Dr Xxxx Xxxx, BSc, ARCS, PhD, DIC, CSci, CPhys, CBiol, CASLAT, MIOP, MIPEM, MIOB, MHEA, FRSB, FHEA
    Universities are filled with idiots that do this,

I have a colleague who insists on doing the above plus, to take it to ultimate tool level status! Adds cantab to denote one studied at Cambridge, dontcha know!

Think i'll start putting CSE Grade 1 Mathematics after my name, after all it did seem really important when I was awarded it in 1977

I am ashamed at how long it took me to work that out this morning.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I used to work with somebody who insisted on using the title Professor even though his was only a visiting professorship and largely unrelated to his work role - naturally he was a grade A tosser. His name was Smith so perhaps he thought he needed a way to stand out.

We had another, a vendor account manager, who had a long list of mostly professional qualifications and I think somebody asked him during a meeting why he had missed out his GCSE in Media Studies.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Think i'll start putting CSE Grade 1 Mathematics after my name, after all it did seem really important when I was awarded it in 1977
    I used to include 10M in my post nominals as that was quite a long way when you're little and not very confident in the water.

Anyone put C P ( Cycling Proficiency) after their name?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Good point that’s going on the end of mine. In terms of sequence does this go in front or behind of Tufty Club?

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Good point that’s going on the end of mine. In terms of sequence does this go in front or behind of Tufty Club?
    Behind TC and DtMFC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    No but it's a thought as I still have the badge.

I was also a paid up warlord agent at one point to.

used B.Eng on my CV before semiretirement.
    was an associate of the IEE until i couldn't be bothered with it any longer- it was quite cheap back then and i always wrote the fees off against tax but never found it of any use on entering the real world.

even less interesting my sister-in-law's sister-in-law had quite a good honour from the queen; she was amused. (true!)

toodles.

p.s. - i also had my orienteering and cooking badges in the scouts (the sea scouts no less)
    Last edited by bigbaddes; 5th January 2021 at 11:08.

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    I was also a paid up warlord agent at one point to.
    Should a 2000AD membership go before or after a Warlord membership?

Also, I once managed to propel the Six Million Dollar Man across a makeshift canyon using a Stunt Cycle. Surely this counts for something? Focus, please. This is important.

Should a 2000AD membership go before or after a Warlord membership?
    After your GrandMaster(TZ-UK) when you get it!

Also, I once managed to propel the Six Million Dollar Man across a makeshift canyon using a Stunt Cycle. Surely this counts for something? Focus, please. This is important.
    Only important if you’d managed to get Evel Knevel over it!

Seems quite common in the medical, legal and accounting professions.

I don't have any letters to add after my name, so it's a moot point for me - Although I could sign off JP as I have a certificate somewhere that says I'm a recognised Jerusalem Pilgrim!

If I got a Christmas card from someone who listed their qualifications I'd agree with the OP, but at work, I realise it's normal practice in some areas and I can't say I've ever really even been aware of it, except, occasionally, to wonder what the letters stand for!

That said, unless the person has about 5 minutes practical experience, I'd rather judge them (for good or bad) on what they do, rather than where they drank and fornicated in their youth

M
    Last edited by snowman; 5th January 2021 at 11:56.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    - Although I could sign off JP as I have a certificate somewhere that says I'm a recognised Jerusalem Pilgrim!
    That reminds me - I think I have certificate somewhere confirming that I climbed The Monument (which at the time was much more exciting than the video conferencing expo in Old Billingsgate Market that I was supposed to be attending).

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Seems quite common in the medical, legal and accounting professions.

M
    On low key medical documents and letters to GPs: usually just my job title
    On high brow medical stuff, EG communication with the Coroner, or interestingly to insurance companies, all the letters have to go down.

On flights, just Mr, not Dr - although more about this below :)
    - and I still volunteer on flights if there's as request for help over the speakers, because I'm a doctor and I could help

On facebook/twitter/instgram/ - Are your serious? I don't use this social media stuff, privacy is a sought after commodity.

I got BMedSci(Hons) at Uni
    I then got BM BS as all doctors do (or variant of)
    I got MRCS(Eng) in my twenties, and then adopted the weird UK only tradition of dropping the Dr to use Mr as a surgeon.
    Still use Mr now as a Consultant Surgeon
    Eventually got FRCSEd (Tr& Orth) replacing the MRCS.
    Don;t have PhD or MD, because I'm not academic enough, bright enough and I like powertools at work.

I then stopped paying the Edinburgh surgical college their (unjustified and overinflated) subs, at which point they announced that I could no longer use the suffix FRCSEd as I was not a 'member in good standing.' It's an entry criteria to consultantship, but the subs were about £600/yr for the privilege.
    My FRCSEd now stands for: Fellow of the Righteous College of Simpletons (Edward division) Cost: £0

When I finished with exams, aged 34, I worked out I'd been sitting them since I was 7 years old, roughly every three to four years. 27 years of exams.
    So I stopped and bought myself a Milgauss to celebrate. I'm wearing it now.

Suffixes are for the insecure, or legal documents. IMHO

So it's BMedSci(Hons) BM BS FRCSEd(Tr&Orth)
    or "knuckle dragger" to everyone else in the hospital
    Last edited by The Doc; 5th January 2021 at 12:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    That reminds me - I think I have certificate somewhere confirming that I climbed The Monument...
    I've got a certificate for ascending/descending the Scott Monument in Edinburgh!

::

About fifteen years ago, I worked with a chap who had about thirty letters after his name; nearly all were obtained from what were once called 'correspondence courses' & none were of degree level.

He was very proud of his qualifications and mentioned them at every opportunity. One day, he announced that he was leaving the company for another job & the question of a leaving present came up amongst his colleagues. I suggested we buy him a bishopric from one of the many churches in the USA which offered ordination/installation for about $150 to add to his list of achievements. It didn't gain enough traction & we bought him a flying lesson instead. He's now got his PPL...
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    I do get a sense from some of my acquaintances that there is an opposing view which some feel is gaining traction for the non medical, safety regulated roles, for instance :

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ialism/308286/

This paper is old but the current assertion sits around credentialism being socially divisive; that it suppresses equality of opportunity and reduces social mobility. Think back those of you who are old enough - us grammar school smudgers that progressed - do the kids today see it the same as we did ?

B