closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How much is an AP? Depends.

How much is an AP? Depends.

Just seen this on the AP website, quite wild. I'd imagine the price is set at RRP for AP House but elsewhere all bets are off.

Interesting strategy.

Using the phrase "resale price" seems a bit odd as well?
    Has that changed on the website or do you know if that has always been the case?
    Nice watch though.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Wording is interesting in RPP not RRP & resale price....

Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    Using the phrase "resale price" seems a bit odd as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Wording is interesting in RPP not RRP & resale price....
    Could it be because as far as they are concerned, they sell the watch to their ADs at a price and what they do subsequently is not their problem? A way to tell other ADs (PP?) that there are other ways to do business with a brand?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

One thing we can all agree on - TOO MUCH

This wording also gives the AD scope to (re)sell below the RPP.

What effect will this have on the grey market? Will there be some squeaky bums in the Watchfinder boardroom or will the knock-on effect be that used prices go even higher?

Brave move, the perverse side of me wants to see the chaos if Rolex choose to go down this route.

Craftsman
    This is a good move. The practice of insisting that the retailers stick to RRP is unlawful in the UK and it is disgusting that many watch manufactures have got away with openly flouting the law. Hats of to AP for expressly operating legally.

ETA: unless, of course, the messaging on AP website is just for show because they have reason to fear an investigation and, in practice, the price fixing will continue. Be very interesting to see if ADs do start to set their own price a la Tokyo.
    Last edited by Satori; 13th December 2021 at 17:05.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think this ties in with AP taking distribution back into its own hands more next year.
    Doesn't mean that RRP will cease as the boutiques will still be operating at retail, even tho it isnt expressly noted on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    This is a good move. The practice of insisting that the retailers stick to RRP is unlawful in the UK and it is disgusting that many watch manufactures have got away with openly flouting the law. Hats of to AP for expressly operating legally.

ETA: unless, of course, the messaging on AP website is just for show because they have reason to fear an investigation and, in practice, the price fixing will continue. Be very interesting to see if ADs do start to set their own price a la Tokyo.
    When watch companies state the RRP is it not just that? For many of them you can buy online so they are simply telling the customer what the price is in their country helps them to know what they should be paying instead of the over inflated prices of some brands.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    What effect will this have on the grey market? Will there be some squeaky bums in the Watchfinder boardroom or will the knock-on effect be that used prices go even higher?

Brave move, the perverse side of me wants to see the chaos if Rolex choose to go down this route.
    If Production levels are kept down, the prices will remain high - simple as that.

The high end watch trade has turned the tide in their own favour and it's here to stay.

Also for every punter who hates high prices, there is a contented another owner smiling with glee.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post

Surely it's not price fixing if they're setting the price of their own products?

Craftsman
    What AP dealers do we now have in the Uk? Harrods and the Boutiques but AP have removed dealer status from a few this year and its likely to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post

Mick’s favourite daily wearer is currently in Watchfinder’s “secret” sale - 12% off

Quote Originally Posted by markyboy.1967 View Post
    What AP dealers do we now have in the Uk? Harrods and the Boutiques but AP have removed dealer status from a few this year and its likely to continue.

There are only 6 UK locations to buy a new (non Grey) AP Mark;

1. AP House, London
    2. Harrods, London
    3. Sloane Square, London
    4. Bucherer, London
    5. Watches of Switzerland, London
    6. Rox Diamonds and Thrills, Glasgow

The first three are AP owned boutiques and the others are the only UK AD's for the brand. I'd be very surprised (given what I know) that there will still be 3 AD's (non AP run/owned) after 2022 but let's see.

I read the legalese in the first post as meaning that AP will indicate the required retail price rather than impose it.

I expect that any discounting/gouging will be actively discouraged.
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    RRP or MSRP has never really been a thing in many eastern markets. Mid-East, South Asia & Far-East are a perfect example.
    In these regions a buyer would pay a substantial premium for sought after pieces, on the flip side the discounts on slow movers can be massive relative to Europe/USA retail recommended/suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I read the legalese in the first post as meaning that AP will indicate the required retail price rather than impose it.

I expect that any discounting/gouging will be actively discouraged.
    I thought that was always the difference between RRP and (potentially) RPM, wasn't it?

Confused
    Hertfordshire

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Surely it's not price fixing if they're setting the price of their own products?
    Sort of what I thought, what exactly is illegal about them telling UK customers the price of their product?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post

1. AP House, London
    2. Harrods, London
    3. Sloane Square, London
    4. Bucherer, London

The first three are AP owned boutiques and the others are the only UK AD's for the brand. I'd be very surprised (given what I know) that there will still be 3 AD's (non AP run/owned) after 2022 but let's see.
    Rox in Glasgow are no lionger AP dealers as of the end of Dec. I was in and spoke to them last week. This leaves none in Scotland and the otgers all in London but for how long.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post

1. AP House, London
    2. Harrods, London
    3. Sloane Square, London
    4. Bucherer, London

Selfriges carry AP too last time i was there. But yea still same category.

Master
    Have Owen and Robinson in Leeds lost AD status? I've not passed / looked in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If Production levels are kept down, the prices will remain high
    Any evidence to support that production levels are being kept down, Mick?

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    Have Owen and Robinson in Leeds lost AD status? I've not passed / looked in a few months.

Unfortunately they lost the AP brand quite a few years ago

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    He's trolling.

Everyone knows AP production has been put towards the anniversary Royal oak lines for 2022

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Okay thanks. I must've not noticed once I started looking at the Lange models instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I have no idea whether he's right or wrong but put together a huge reduction in dealers and an upturn in demand, one might surmise that if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then there's a good chance......

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Selfriges carry AP too last time i was there. But yea still same category.

Yes, that's true. Last time I was in there (summer this year) they had a smattering of AP's on show......literally 2/3 I recall. Don't know if its an AP concession though? I'll ask next time I'm in AP House..

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Sort of what I thought, what exactly is illegal about them telling UK customers the price of their product?
    Nothing wrong with suggesting a retail price, it becomes illegal when the manufacturer dictates to the dealer that the price they state must be the price charged and threatens the dealer in order to make them comply. Twice I’ve purchased from a particular brand where the dealer put together a nice A4 sheet to send to the maker which included a copy of my driving licence, credit card, warranty card and till receipt. The dealer was completely open that the sheet had been demanded by the maker to make sure that the dealer was not discounting their products, the alternative was loss of AD status, which they eventually lost anyway. That is illegal and you can probably guess the brand.
    It happens but the alternative would create more uproar. Imagine getting a call from an AD and they say “That watch you’ve been on the list for for three years is in, come and collect it, the price is current market value at thee times RRP.”

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Nothing wrong with suggesting a retail price, it becomes illegal when the manufacturer dictates to the dealer that the price they state must be the price charged and threatens the dealer in order to make them comply. Twice I’ve purchased from a particular brand where the dealer put together a nice A4 sheet to send to the maker which included a copy of my driving licence, credit card, warranty card and till receipt. The dealer was completely open that the sheet had been demanded by the maker to make sure that the dealer was not discounting their products, the alternative was loss of AD status, which they eventually lost anyway. That is illegal and you can probably guess the brand.
    It happens but the alternative would create more uproar. Imagine getting a call from an AD and they say “That watch you’ve been on the list for for three years is in, come and collect it, the price is current market value at thee times RRP.”
    It's amazing what you can get away with when you're a charity.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I have no idea whether he's right or wrong but put together a huge reduction in dealers and an upturn in demand, one might surmise that if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then there's a good chance......
    That doesn't equate to production levels being kept down though, does it?

If demand rises, this doesn't mean that supply can rise in tandem with that demand. You'd first have to determine if it was just a spike. Where on the bell curve is the recent demand? If determined the demand is there for the long term, where are the watch makers coming from to accommodate the increase in output?