timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: C60 Concept

Craftsman

Post C60 Concept

My new C60 Concept arrived today.

Number 100 (of 210 watches).

Sorry for the v low quality phone pics.

Finishing is extremely good. Lume is very Tron.

That lume is crazy! Nice one mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    It’s not really my thing, but now I want one just for the tron reference!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    That lume is crazy! Nice one mate.

Thanks, yes it is the craziest lume I have in my collection.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    It’s not really my thing, but now I want one just for the tron reference!
    LOL. I like the Tron look in the dark too.

It's also a really nice movement to look at, and a very comfortable watch as it's titanium.

Easily, and by far the best watch CW have made yet. And thankfully has no CW name on the dial, which would have been a deal-breaker.

That looks good, although I’ve just seen the price on their website, which rather stopped me in my tracks .

I’m glad you like it, anyway.

Simon

Very cool! Congratulations, love the lume and always like a blue and orange combo

Congratulations, I was a little surprised the watches sold out so fast, but given how much I liked the watch, it's not a surprise that people put money down for it.

Crazy lume and interesting change of direction for CW!

I usually really dislike skeleton watches and think they are difficult to read., irrespective of who makes them.
    However that is probably the best skeleton I have seen, and the lume is brilliant. Tron is the perfect description.
    I think CW gave done a fantastic job. Really, really liking it.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Bold move by CW, and I'm glad you're happy with it, OP. Is it just me, though, or is the movement a tad agricultural-looking for something designed to be on display?

I’m not surprised that it sold out quickly, CW seem to have a good reputation everywhere but here.

I think it looks the business but skeleton dials are no good for my ageing eyesight, I’d only be able to wear it in the dark!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    That looks good, although I’ve just seen the price on their website, which rather stopped me in my tracks .

I’m glad you like it, anyway.

Simon
    Similar price to a bog standard Tudor Black Bay tool watch, and yet nobody bats an eyelid at that.

How is it for legibility though? It looks like daytime reading of the hands might be difficult? Or is it better in the flesh?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Similar price to a bog standard Tudor Black Bay tool watch, and yet nobody bats an eyelid at that.
    Actually that’s not true, is it. The rrp on a Black Bay 58 is £1,000 less than the Concept - and personally I have never seen Christopher Ward in the same bracket as Tudor.

Simon

C60 Concept

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Actually that’s not true, is it. The rrp on a Black Bay 58 is £1,000 less than the Concept - and personally I have never seen Christopher Ward in the same bracket as Tudor.

Simon
    My bad, I was comparing with the new fifty eight 925, where the cost is getting there.

Master
    I’d argue that we should treat individual watches on their merit, not brand name. Due to the high level of hand finishing (never mind the limited numbers produced), the C60 Concept is in a significantly higher category than many Tudors.

Until I handled one in the metal, I was a CW sceptic, but CW’s case finishing is superb. Also, their brand value (it’s subjective, I know) is rising because of the high quality and innovation.

CW is definitely on the rise but they haven’t found their unique signature design. I like their divers but they could do with some tweaking. Several interesting developments technically though of late.

I can't say I like it much personally, but people still think CW watches are £250 in the monthly sale and those days are long gone.

The brand has undoubtedly moved upmarket in terms of quality as well as price, but nobody makes ETA movement watches at that sort of price anymore.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    I’d argue that we should treat individual watches on their merit, not brand name. Due to the high level of hand finishing (never mind the limited numbers produced), the C60 Concept is in a significantly higher category than many Tudors.

Until I handled one in the metal, I was a CW sceptic, but CW’s case finishing is superb. Also, their brand value (it’s subjective, I know) is rising because of the high quality and innovation.
    I agree with this, CW have a bit of a branding hurdle which may be due to earlier models looking a little uninspired and the fact that they go for the more affordable end of the market. The online-only presence and frequent sales with massive discounts also devalue their watches.

Having said that, I think the recent output that I have handled has been of surprisingly high quality, I also like the fact that they’re relatively unassuming. No lofty claims and super high prices, unlike some other UK brand: just good watches, reasonably priced. Even some in-house movement work (which I know is probably licensed and made in Switzerland)!

The OP’s watch is a brilliant example of the above. Personally, not to my taste but it’s a good flex from CW.

Journeyman
    Nice looking watch, that lume is just fantastic! in my opinion the hands should be blued to improve legibility but that's just nitpicking.

I should be paying more attention to their site, I miss a lot of these nice releases.

It’s nice to see something different but not for me at all. I have no idea of the price however and have never been inspired enough by any CW I’ve seen on here to even look at their website. It actually reminds me (as do most skeleton dials) - but particularly the hands and bezel on this one - of a jelly swatch I owned as a youth! - that sounds sniffy, it’s not meant to be - just more of a design language thing than a criticism.

It’s a looker that’s for sure. I’ve been a CWL fan since I decided I wanted a divers watch and ended up buying a C60 Trident in 2010. I was impressed with what I received for what I paid, even more so because the main man himself answered my naive questions over email. Over the years I’ve enjoyed watching CWL make tweaks and wholesale changes, experimenting with new case finishing, new movements and different versions of already successful watches. At one invite-only afternoon, I got to hold a prototype of their true monopusher, not a two hand variant, conceived and designed by Johannes Janke and listened to his story of how the piece was developed. He described how the finishing of the movement was purposely understated and hadn’t been subjected to bells and whistles finishing of perlage and anglage. I liked it and lusted after one then and still do now. Then we saw the advent of the CWL in-house movement and more moves in case types and finishing. Sure, the prices were taking leaps and bounds too but we watched a company trying, developing, changing and testing and slipping in amongst the big boys. I laugh when I read the references on here to the DFS sales model, the ever-changing logo and the attempts to compare CWL to the likes of Rolex, Tudor and Bremont and I enjoy the banter. I even chuckle when people say ‘but they are only in house because they merged with SH’, as though other watch brands had their in house capabilities magically appear out of thin air. When I was once asked if my C60 was a Rolex, I said ‘no, it’s better than a Rolex’ knowing that statement would lead to a debate. Of course, it isn’t better than a Rolex but the debate is part of the fun of being a watch geek. The piece in the OP contains all of the design and manufacture story of CWL thus far and I like it for that. Even the ‘agricultural’ finishing to the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    .......... Is it just me, though, or is the movement a tad agricultural-looking for something designed to be on display?
    I have also noticed that. It might have been better to have used a slightly tinted-glass dial... like in some of their other models (but not as dark). As it happens I like the watch. I think it is win win for CW.

Bold move by CW, and I'm glad you're happy with it, OP. Is it just me, though, or is the movement a tad agricultural-looking for something designed to be on display?
    The finishing on the model shots looks a lot better but maybe it's just the pics here because it's advertised with hand finishing and therefore should be decent.

Master
    Compared to a Tudor movement the finishing on this looks great.

Master
    Great piece and I've only heard good things from those that have bought one.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    I usually really dislike skeleton watches and think they are difficult to read., irrespective of who makes them.
    However that is probably the best skeleton I have seen, and the lume is brilliant. Tron is the perfect description.
    I think CW gave done a fantastic job. Really, really liking it.
    Thanks, its not even close to my best skeleton, but I think it's pretty incredible for the money.

Craftsman
    It's not at all agricultural IMO, but is certainly a bold movement i.e. big chunky parts.

The finishing is impeccable. I've louped it vs a Defy 21, and it beats that on the key finished parts. But not quite on the secondary parts. It's easily on par overall for finishing. Although the Zenith is much more complex of course.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by the_gazelle View Post
    How is it for legibility though? It looks like daytime reading of the hands might be difficult? Or is it better in the flesh?
    It's far easier to read than many skeletons, but doesn't come close to normal dial divers of course. I have no problem reading it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I agree with this, CW have a bit of a branding hurdle which may be due to earlier models looking a little uninspired and the fact that they go for the more affordable end of the market. The online-only presence and frequent sales with massive discounts also devalue their watches.

Having said that, I think the recent output that I have handled has been of surprisingly high quality, I also like the fact that they’re relatively unassuming. No lofty claims and super high prices, unlike some other UK brand: just good watches, reasonably priced. Even some in-house movement work (which I know is probably licensed and made in Switzerland)!

The OP’s watch is a brilliant example of the above. Personally, not to my taste but it’s a good flex from CW.
    Most CWs do use Selita movements, but this one does use their fully in house movement.

Agree about their always on sales. Luckily this particular one won't be subject to those, having quickly sold out.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    The finishing on the model shots looks a lot better but maybe it's just the pics here because it's advertised with hand finishing and therefore should be decent.
    My pics are poor. Just taken with a phone.

I will try and find time to photograph it properly. The finishing is really excellent.

Interesting to see that in the same collection as the two DD40s you shared recently. Big contrast.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Interesting to see that in the same collection as the two DD40s you shared recently. Big contrast.
    It's a very different thing, but then I have a very wide ranging collection.

Here is my favourite Skeleton for example.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasH View Post

Wow that's stunning

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I think at the price point its not that bad, from my understanding this is a CW in house movement (all be it made in the Swiss factory that they own) So not that bad at all. They have not just shipped in a movement to fit the watch. CW have done quite a few bespoke watches its just a shame they get lost in their media guff which I personally this is just awful, its pretty obvious their owners have a background in marketing large companies rather than horology. I really do wish CW would just stick to producing good watches which I think time and time again they have done. I have owned CW watches from the beginning but I am frankly put off owning another one because of how they market them. Its a shame because I think CW could indeed be the future of British watchmaking but they really need to just well "Be themselves" Instead of what they think the market wants I think they would get a lot more customers and a lot more respect that way.

Craftsman
    Another hand-held lume shot today (using phone).

Now that I could stare at all day. Is it yours?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    Wow that's stunning
    Thanks, it's my favourite in my collection.

Craftsman
    Now that I could stare at all day. Is it yours?
    Yes, it's mine. I do often just stare at it, sometimes using a loupe.

Yes, it's mine. I do often just stare at it, sometimes using a loupe.

My god, that’s stunning. I think I’m actually a little envious, which doesn’t happen often.

This is exactly what was on my mind when asking. I was going to ask if this was a trial run for the AP RO Openworked but didn't want to be rude, oops!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    This is exactly what was on my mind when asking. I was going to ask if this was a trial run for the AP RO Openworked but didn't want to be rude, oops!
    LOL, no prob at all. Not rude in any way.

The AP Skelly was, and remains, my grail.

The C60 Concept is a bit of fun. Incredible lume.

LOL, no prob at all. Not rude in any way.

The AP Skelly was, and remains, my grail.

The C60 Concept is a bit of fun. Incredible lume.
    That AP is stunning, it’s my exit watch, the one I’d consider (happily) consolidating everything for.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    That AP is stunning, it’s my exit watch, the one I’d consider (happily) consolidating everything for.
    London Watch Collector has made some insightful videos (IMO) on the process of obtaining one of these from an AD. An interesting insight and some excellent footage of the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7E5DCq89uA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgbrQLc-Gt4

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    I've tried on (but didn't own or buy) many watches costing 3x more than it, but nothing came even remotely close to the steel AP Skelly. If I ever had to sell every watch, it would be the last to go.