closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fascinating read: Notes on technology in the 2020s

Fascinating read: Notes on technology in the 2020s

Fascinating post by Eli Dourado, giving his view about his expectations for scientific progress during the next 10 years.

Vaccines, anti-aging, energy generation, electrification, supersonic flights, space exploration, chip technology, crypto currencies and manufacturing. You name it, he's got it covered.

Example:

We are coming off a huge win: two new mRNA COVID vaccines, conceived and brought to market in less than a year. The ability to encode and deploy arbitrary mRNA in our bodies sure seems like a game changer—it allows us to essentially program our cells to make whatever proteins we want. In the case of the COVID vaccines, the vaccine payload instructs our cells to make the coronavirus spike protein, which our immune system then learns to attack. Bert Hubert has a fascinating write-up of the “code” in the vaccine.

Bringing a brand new vaccine to market in less than a year—using a never-before-applied-in-humans-at-scale technology no less—is a world record, but it could have been even faster. As David Wallace-Wells emphasizes, Moderna’s vaccine was designed by January 13. We had it the whole time. Some delay was necessary to determine effective dosing. Some further regulatory delay may have been warranted to ensure the vaccine was safe and to ascertain its efficacy. But as Wallace-Wells indicates, the regulatory outcome was never really in doubt. “None of the scientists I spoke to for this story were at all surprised by either outcome,” he writes. “All said they expected the vaccines were safe and effective all along.”

What should we make of the fact that all of the scientists knew all along that Moderna’s vaccine would work? The question in my mind is: what other mRNA treatments do we have the whole time? What if I told you Moderna has an HIV vaccine candidate? HIV lacks SARS-CoV-2’s telltale spike protein and thus may prove a more challenging foe—but don’t you wonder, if we treated the problem with real urgency, whether new mRNA technology could wipe out the AIDS epidemic this decade? I do.

And mRNA technology can be deployed against more than just viruses. Both Moderna and BioNTech have personalized vaccine candidates targeting cancer. Although called a “cancer vaccine,” the treatment is only administered once the subject has cancer—it isn’t preventative. The companies use an algorithm to analyze the genetic sequences of the tumor and the patient’s healthy cells and predict which molecules could be used to generate a strong immune response against the cancer. “I was actually witnessing the cancer cells shrinking before my eyes,” said Brad Kremer, a melanoma patient who received the BioNTech treatment. So let’s milk mRNA technology for all it’s worth this decade. It can save us from more than just a pandemic.

Full blog text here: Notes on technology in the 2020s

Interesting times...
    It's just a matter of time...

Most excellent; bedtime reading for the next few nights

Don't count your chickens, mankind hasn't survived Covid19 yet. There might be nobody left to close the door as we leave the way things are going. Yours, A. Pessimist.
    F.T.F.A.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Don't count your chickens, mankind hasn't survived Covid19 yet. There might be nobody left to close the door as we leave the way things are going. Yours, A. Pessimist.

You are Chris Whitty and I claim my Ł5.

Not everybody is equally optimistic:

https://s2.washingtonpost.com/camp-r...2fda0efb9ec2f9

Sounds like the ramblings of a nutter i used to work with. Kept going on about how Quantum Computers were going to totally change the world, im still waiting lol.

Master
    Thanks for sharing, both good articles, but the first one especially.

Master
    " In the case of the COVID vaccines, the vaccine payload instructs our cells to make the coronavirus spike protein, which our immune system then learns to attack"

Just wondering if the instruction will be time limited somehow otherwise our bodies could be in eternal war with itself?

Thanks for sharing this Raffe. I'll be reading it for sure.

Not wishing to hijack the thread in any way, rather to add to the discussion of the shape of things to come, worth reading Homo Deus A brief History of Tomorrow by Noah Yuval Harari, he also wrote the widely acclaimed, Sapiens A brief History of Humankind.
    Last edited by Passenger; 4th January 2021 at 12:09.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Not wishing to hijack the thread in any way, rather to add to the discussion of the shape of things to come, worth reading Homo Deus A brief History of Tomorrow by Noah Yuval Harari, he also wrote the widely acclaimed, Sapiens A brief History of Humankind.
    Sapiens is one of the few books I gave up reading as it was just too depressing! It confirmed my suspicion Bill Hicks was right about "a virus with shoes!"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Fascinating post by Eli Dourado, giving his view about his expectations for scientific progress during the next 10 years.

Vaccines, anti-aging, energy generation, electrification, supersonic flights, space exploration, chip technology, crypto currencies and manufacturing. You name it, he's got it covered.

Example:

We are coming off a huge win: two new mRNA COVID vaccines, conceived and brought to market in less than a year. The ability to encode and deploy arbitrary mRNA in our bodies sure seems like a game changer—it allows us to essentially program our cells to make whatever proteins we want. In the case of the COVID vaccines, the vaccine payload instructs our cells to make the coronavirus spike protein, which our immune system then learns to attack. Bert Hubert has a fascinating write-up of the “code” in the vaccine.

Bringing a brand new vaccine to market in less than a year—using a never-before-applied-in-humans-at-scale technology no less—is a world record, but it could have been even faster. As David Wallace-Wells emphasizes, Moderna’s vaccine was designed by January 13. We had it the whole time. Some delay was necessary to determine effective dosing. Some further regulatory delay may have been warranted to ensure the vaccine was safe and to ascertain its efficacy. But as Wallace-Wells indicates, the regulatory outcome was never really in doubt. “None of the scientists I spoke to for this story were at all surprised by either outcome,” he writes. “All said they expected the vaccines were safe and effective all along.”

What should we make of the fact that all of the scientists knew all along that Moderna’s vaccine would work? The question in my mind is: what other mRNA treatments do we have the whole time? What if I told you Moderna has an HIV vaccine candidate? HIV lacks SARS-CoV-2’s telltale spike protein and thus may prove a more challenging foe—but don’t you wonder, if we treated the problem with real urgency, whether new mRNA technology could wipe out the AIDS epidemic this decade? I do.

And mRNA technology can be deployed against more than just viruses. Both Moderna and BioNTech have personalized vaccine candidates targeting cancer. Although called a “cancer vaccine,” the treatment is only administered once the subject has cancer—it isn’t preventative. The companies use an algorithm to analyze the genetic sequences of the tumor and the patient’s healthy cells and predict which molecules could be used to generate a strong immune response against the cancer. “I was actually witnessing the cancer cells shrinking before my eyes,” said Brad Kremer, a melanoma patient who received the BioNTech treatment. So let’s milk mRNA technology for all it’s worth this decade. It can save us from more than just a pandemic.

Full blog text here: Notes on technology in the 2020s
    Interesting piece, thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    " In the case of the COVID vaccines, the vaccine payload instructs our cells to make the coronavirus spike protein, which our immune system then learns to attack"

Just wondering if the instruction will be time limited somehow otherwise our bodies could be in eternal war with itself?
    Don't know whether you've been following Dr John Campbell on YT but here's an excellent overview of long-term immunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awc0bN07Aac

Blog Entries
    Enjoyed reading that

We are due a few interesting breakthroughs as long as we don’t get in our own way!