closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dogs Dinner

Journeyman

Dogs Dinner

Evening all.
    I’’’ am really after advice re the mess I made changing straps on my PAM 796. A combination of deteriorating eye sight and terrible hand-eye coordination has left me with some unsightly scratches which, although don’t bother me hugely, so leave me wishing I’d been more careful. I have purchased some Cape Cod and would value opinions as to whether I should “give it a go”....watch 1 year old and no plans to send back for polishing!!!!

Trying to add picture unsuccessfully!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrDunc; 3rd January 2021 at 22:42.

Blog Entries
    I don’t think cape cod is any good at removing scratches - it’s the last phase of polish. Others have said it’s like trying to polish with a wet carrot. I can’t really advise on how to remove scratches so close to the case back and lugs. If the scratches don’t bother you too much I’d leave them alone else send to a professional to polish out if you really want?

Martyn.

Journeyman

Dogs Dinner

It is irritating to see but it’s a watch!!!
    Certainly not sending away for formal repolish - hoped the CC would “lessen the impact” but these are a little more than superficial.
    As an aside, what am I doing wrong re photo upload errors?? Even if I select “small” on Tapatalk it refuses to play ball.

Assuming the scratches are on the underside of the lugs then just wear it and forget them for now

I scratched the case of my Tourby watch a few years ago not long after I bought it, really irritated me so I contacted Tourby to see what could be done. They replied "Why not just wait until it needs a service and then send it back and we will sort out any issues with the case too"

Wish other watch companies used such common sense!

Moral is, forget about it until it needs a service then send it off.

Journeyman
    Decided to leave. If my strap changing skills are anything to go by, then this is the very best option.
    Thankyou.

In theory deep scratches can’t be removed. To “remove” a scratch what is actually happening is the removal of the watch material around the scratch. All be it very minor amounts this is what is happening when scratches get “removed”.
    Think of it like a knife mark in the top of a fresh tub of butter. To remove the knife mark completely you remove more butter from around the knife mark.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDunc View Post
    It is irritating to see but it’s a watch!!!
    Certainly not sending away for formal repolish - hoped the CC would “lessen the impact” but these are a little more than superficial.
    As an aside, what am I doing wrong re photo upload errors?? Even if I select “small” on Tapatalk it refuses to play ball.

The mistake you made is using Cr Tapatalk in the first place. Even if you upload a picture it'll be compressed and look terrible. You get what you don't pay for. For a few £s per month use SmugMug to host your pictures, and much, much more. Also get iCab mobile browser for your iPhone and view TZ as on a Mac/PC. You can thank me later.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The mistake you made is using Cr Tapatalk in the first place. Even if you upload a picture it'll be compressed and look terrible. You get what you don't pay for. For a few £s per month use SmugMug to host your pictures, and much, much more. Also get iCab mobile browser for your iPhone and view TZ as on a Mac/PC. You can thank me later.
    I'd suggest someone just trying to upload a few images to a forum should check out a free service first. Imgur is huge and has worked perfectly for me for years for this purpose.

Journeyman
    As well as having deteriorating vision (age) and crap strap changing skills, I’m also a complete technophobe. I will look into the alternatives....don’t mind paying if it does what I want it to.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I'd suggest someone just trying to upload a few images to a forum should check out a free service first. Imgur is huge and has worked perfectly for me for years for this purpose.
    I recently used Imgur for the first time, I found it fiddly to start but subsequently perfectly usable.

If you have already bought the Cape Cod, before you try it on your watch is there anywhere else you could carry out a test on.

Apply multiple layers of tape to the glass, bundle the watch, strap and all, into a bag filled with nuts and bolts and give it a jolly good shake. Et voila! An ‘aged’ piece and the scratch you clumsily made is concealed amongst scratches and scuffs you purposefully applied. Leave it outside for a few weeks and you’ll have a watch you can show whilst you regale friends with tales of survival and derring-do.

You should be able to post hi-res photos with Tapatalk. Just to check, are you using the photo option, arrowed in this image?

FWIW I also use Imgur which is very good. I also have the paid for version of Tapatalk which eliminates all the ads.

Whatever you do, don’t use the TZ-UK version of the Tapatalk app, as it has bugs which prevent you loading decent pictures.