closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Opinions on this Rolex 5513?

Opinions on this Rolex 5513?

As some of you know, I'm thinking about investing in a nice 5512/5513 to wear and appreciate (i.e., NOT depreciate!) in value. I saw this example at Bob's Watches here in CA. I would certainly appreciate any comments as to its condition, originality, and/or worth.

Thanks so much!

https://www.bobswatches.com/vintage-...medium=display

Last edited by pacifichrono; 2nd January 2021 at 22:08.

It does look very very polished. Very little graining on the lugs.
    I am by no means an expert but I would have thought there are better examples out there.

Don't accept matched hands at face value. They might be fine and the seller is well respected, but they do use the term 'matching hands' and not original tritium hands. I would ask them to confirm if they are the original hands and ask for a photo of the watch under UV light, that will highlight any difference between the hands and the plots if they have been relumed at some point during the life of the watch.

When I clicked on the link there was a $1,000.00 off offer, so clearly there must be scope for negotiation on any final price. The price does seem high, but then again when did you last see a meters first full set?

I've found that the prices for these vintage 5512/5513s range up to $60,000, and higher!
    Last edited by pacifichrono; 2nd January 2021 at 22:50.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I've found that the prices for these vintage 5512/5513s ranges up to $60,000, and higher!
    You can have mine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like someone went wild with the polishing gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Looks like someone went wild with the polishing gear.
    Would it improve or detract if the lug tops were carefully brushed with a Scotch pad. I've had some luck doing that on cheap watches.

I'm not an expert either but it looks like the springbar is close to protruding through the case on that top lug. And, it may be the photo's but the plots don't look the most attractive colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I'm not an expert either but it looks like the springbar is close to protruding through the case on that top lug...
    Perhaps the wrong size springbar?

Perhaps the wrong size springbar?
    I think it's more likely reflective of the amount of metal lost from the lug.

Master
    They’re clearly polished but it looks like there’s still a fair bit of metal in them

...the plots don't look the most attractive colour.
    Mine either, but it does look "vintage" and not "bright white!" I'd prefer markers and hands more this color, or darker:

BUT, this one lists for $55k.

Master
    I would say we all want to wear our watches & have them appreciate in value, the reality is, they don't. Some do, but you need access to that 'crystal ball.'
    Good luck with the 'scotchpad' if spending that amount of money, it could actually devalue the piece IMHO, unless you were a master of case refinishing.
    Good luck in your search.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The chances of finding a 5513 in pristine condition gets harder as the years roll by. Watches led a tougher life back in those days and polishing out the dinks and scratches was perfectly normal as was swapping hands and dials. Either spend an absolute fortune on a perfect watch, rare as it is, or accept the bashings of its early life and buy a bit of a wreck.

I have to say however, this particular specimen has had the guts polished out of it.

I don’t agree that the watch has “had the guts polished out of it” at all, but I think there is a slight problem with the shape of the bottom right lug, which presumably has had a knock on tne top edge in the past. But for that it could easily have had a light refinish and would have been good to go.

I'm not an expert either but it looks like the springbar is close to protruding through the case on that top lug. And, it may be the photo's but the plots don't look the most attractive colour.
    Not always an indicator of over polished lugs. I had a 1675 with the same issue, the spring bars were old and spongy and I asked the service centre to put a brand new pair of Rolex bars in and the problem was sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Not always an indicator of over polished lugs. I had a 1675 with the same issue, the spring bars were old and spongy and I asked the service centre to put a brand new pair of Rolex bars in and the problem was sorted.

You may well be right. But if I was Bob, I'd not want to leave any room for doubt in my pictures.

You may well be right. But if I was Bob, I'd not want to leave any room for doubt in my pictures.
    I wonder how many of their buyers are as discerning as TZ-UK members.

Master
    I would be extremely surprised if the hands are original, they match nicely but probably replacements with little or no tarnish evident. Apart from general case polishing the top crown guard is iffy and some lifting to a few hour batons where they should meet the case.

I wonder how many of their buyers are as discerning as TZ-UK members.
    Probably not very many. Vintage anything is a minefield and vintage Rolex - because of the money involved - even more so.

I think the first question is "Do I like it?" Next assess exactly what it is...what's right and what's not...and then compare that to the price being asked. Most vintage watches will have some issues. It's a case of how serious they are and whether they're reflected in the price.

I think you can probably do better for the money and the fact that you'd prefer more aged looking plots suggests it's not really floating your boat aesthetically either.

Craftsman
    As some of you know, I'm thinking about investing in a nice 5512/5513 to wear and appreciate (i.e., NOT depreciate!) in value. I saw this example at Bob's Watches here in CA. I would certainly appreciate any comments as to its condition, originality, and/or worth.

Thanks so much!

https://www.bobswatches.com/vintage-...medium=display

I don’t have a view on this one to share but I am taking a hell of a fancy to some of these vintage 5513s, really great looking watches. They don’t seem to have gone to the silly heights of some Submariners yet, thankfully.

Anything about the dial, hands, or bezel look "wrong?"

Master

Difficult to tell from the pics, but the insert should be a long 5 and that looks like a later replacement. In the description the dial is described as having 'light oil stains' that would put me off esp. at that price as the dial is probably 50% of the value. Rivet bracelet is described with issues and is later described as a 93150 which is confusing.

It's not just about looking right, it's about being able to check and confirm that things are right. First port of call is starting with the serial number, which will give you a year and checking against the various known publications to confirm that the dial is correct to that serial number. It may look nice, but might be a dial from a different period, this needs checking.

Again with the bezel insert. Looks okay to me, but should it be a long 5, a kissing 4 or a Mark 3 - needs checking out.

The hands match, so would brand new hands that have had the Luminova removed and refilled in a matching colour. I have already posted on this, but you are still asking.

You need to break the Watch down into a sum of its parts and check each one as much as you can.

Has it got a correct bracelet on it, what is the date from the clasp code etc. Is it an original, a service replacement or any old bracelet dumped on the watch. You need to know.

You have two choices, deal with a highly respected dealer who you trust to have done these checks for you and honestly detail what is on offer or do it yourself. Asking people on a watch forum is not sensible if you intend to blow $20k on what they say.