closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Running in period and regulation

Running in period and regulation

Picked up a watch new recently with an ETA2824 in it.

It's not keeping great time at the moment at about +25 a day and at £1000+ that doesn't seem correct.

Are running in periods still a thing or is it worth getting looked at straight away?

Is regulation of a 2824 something one can do with a suitable set of tools (minis a timegrapher) or more a job for a watchmaker?

TIA

Grand Master
    If the watch is new it should be returned under warranty for attention, do not try adjusting it yourself. It needs thoroughly checking, if its running badly with poor amplitude there’s no sense in trying to regulate it.

Are you sure the watch is running in a high state of wind? I suggest you fully wind it ( approx 30 twists of the crown), note the time, allow it to run dial- up for at least 8 hrs, then check again, Be sure to check against something reliable, a quartz analogue watch is a foolproof method.

Tried that last night and it gained 4 seconds over 8 hours 20 mins which seems a good bit better.

Thought it was fully wound but maybe not

I'll keep an eye on it

Thanks for your help

I saw this advice on the Creation website which seems to suggest that watches do need time to settle down.

Since midnight on the 2nd/3rd is currently 9 secs a day fast which I can live with. Not great and worse than a watch I have at a 10th of the price but much better than it was.

Not sure where the difference had come from but a good wind seems to have helped.

Thanks

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Since midnight on the 2nd/3rd is currently 9 secs a day fast which I can live with. Not great and worse than a watch I have at a 10th of the price but much better than it was.

Not sure where the difference had come from but a good wind seems to have helped.

Thanks
    The difference is simple to explain: the watch is now running in a high state of wind, the amplitude is where it should be, and the timekeeping is in line with expectations..........it’s not rocket science!

If the amplitude falls down to 200 degrees, which is likely if its not in a good state of wind, all bets are off regarding the rate. The positional variation will be completely different too.

My advice is to fully wind the watch, wear it for 16hrs in a typical day, then leave it dial- up overnight. It’s worth checking the timekeeping on the wrist and dial- up, there shouldn’t be much difference in rate but dial- up is often slightly faster. You could check the rate in different positions and decide which is best for the 8hrs overnight get the best overall performance.

After a few weeks, if the results are consistent but still slightly fast, it could be worth regulating it.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 7th January 2021 at 13:23.

Well armed with a case back opener, a screwdriver and just enough ignorance to be dangerous I've got it down to 1 sec a day on my 1st go.

Will keep a good eye on it though