closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Western Isles Travel Advice

Craftsman

Western Isles Travel Advice

Planning a family holiday to the western Isles next July, have never been there, would appreciate any advice on where to visit where to stay etc.
    Thinking of taking the ferry from Skye to Harris.

Craftsman
    The Scallop Shack. Fresh fish in the harbour shop. Visit as many beaches as possible, standing stones and long walks. Fantastic place.
    Best to book ferry before accommodation. People sometimes book a place to stay and then can't get a place for the car on the ferry.
    Last edited by EBB21; 2nd January 2021 at 18:39. Reason: extra info

Master
    Is there anything on iPlayer Scotland channel? Often programmes on there regional to Scotland. Might get some ideas. There is one on a band called Peat and Diesel who come from that area. Not heard of them until I saw that. Series 11 episode 6 of Coast is in the western Isles. Just checked
    Last edited by mrushton; 2nd January 2021 at 18:56.

Been watching Romesh?
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Stayed on Skye the year before last with my in-laws, in a large AirBnB just off the Portree - Dunvegan road before you hit the village. Loads to do all over the island, although I'm probably a fair bit older than your kids, so your mileage will vary (as they say). If you can leave them for an evening, the Three Chimneys really is superb. We took the boat out to St Kilda, which was awe inspiring to say the least. But it's a four / five hour trip out through the Hebrides to get there, and the same back. Remarkable place, tho, and there are boats out from Harris too, I understand.

IMG_5717St Kilda 2018 by Noodlefish, on Flickr

IMG_5629St Kilda 2018 by Noodlefish, on Flickr

We were too early for the Raasay Distillery, but it might be talking visitors by then. I've wanted to visit Harris for years - the distillery there is meant to be fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
    Planning a family holiday to the western Isles next July, have never been there, would appreciate any advice on where to visit where to stay etc.
    Thinking of taking the ferry from Skye to Harris.
    If going to Harris it’s only a 20 minute drive to Lewis and the Caberfeidh Hotel is always worth a visit and the Hebridean Guest House on Kenneth Street is superb.

As suggested above, book your travel first and early. Our plans last summer we’re scuppered when we founds the ferries we’re already full.
    Stunning part of the world though - and even more so if you get lucky with the weather.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I go up to North Uist very regularly, as has been said book accommodation and ferries very early don't be surprised if you struggle round the summer. Drive carefully the locals can be a bit wild, use the passing places to let them pass and give them a wave..

It's a completely different pace of life, enjoy it and visit the beaches at balranald bird reserve.and the beaches at hosta. Beautiful..

Enjoy..

Sent from my HD1910 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone
    I will def look at the ferry availability before anything else
    What are the midges like in July ?

Western Isles Travel Advice

Quote Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
    Thanks everyone
    I will def look at the ferry availability before anything else
    What are the midges like in July ?
    Don’t worry, just slap on loads of Avon Skin So Soft Original Dry Oil Spray, it’s cheap and it works.

Avoid damper, sheltered areas. The wild sandy beaches of the western isles should be okay. They only bothered me in shower and toilet blocks.

Take a face net and some mozzie coils just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app