closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: REVIEW: Rolex Submariner 124060

Blog Entries

REVIEW: Rolex Submariner 124060

Rolex Submariner 124060

Before ownership of this latest iteration of this iconic Rolex I have owned a few Rolex in my time. I have let go of some that I have wished I had kept. I will not go through all the models such as the beautifully unmolested 16660 complete set or the Explorer 1. Rather let me take you through the models that led me to eventually purchase this 124060.

This is not quite in chronological order of purchase but follows the age of these watches. I have had the privilege of owning the precursor to the modern "Sub" which is the 5513, Cal 1520. Quite a complete set with the calendar indicating it is from 1978 and had had a service from Bill Rice only the year before.

It went quite well with black tie:

But for me I wanted something more substantial and dare I say - modern. And so without much pushing I got the current model (at the time) with the rather different bracelet with Glidelock bracelet, Cerachrom bezel and upgraded 3130 movement. I would probably still have this piece now if it had not be nicked off my wrist by a professional scumbag while holidaying in Barcelona with family and friends. The insurance made a like-for-like replacement but it just did not feel the same so I never bonded with the replacement. I am thinking this model with the wider shoulders may become a collectors classic since it was only produced for a relatively short run - time will tell. Here are a few pictures - while I owned it:

one big advantage of a modern rolex from vintage is that the lume is still present - Rolex may not be the brightest but for me last through the night (without special 'charging')

For quite a while I have been without a Submariner in my collection - looking at the above shots, they where taken in March 2013 and the watch was stolen in early 2014.

In 2020 the stars aligned and I got a call from my AD that a Submariner is available for collection when ready and with some frantic counter balance selling, it was mine. So I now present to you some pictures of my latest and last acquisition for 2020 which has, for now, knocked off the YM40 RG from my wrist.

To be honest there is not a huge difference externally between the 114060 and 214060 and without having the two together it is very difficult to tell. But on close inspection there are differences, subtle and almost imperceptible, except from say from the owners view. The most obvious is the loss of the box, Super Case, "Hugo Boss" style shoulders, which are back to the more refined "Saint Laurant" of previous iterations. This is achieved by increasing the bracelet increase width to 21mm and decrease the outer size of the case by 1mm where it meets the bracelet. Also the centre "link" that is next to the case, does not protrude up as much as on the previous model. The case diameter has been increased by perhaps 1mm to nominal 41mm.

Internally the new model has the newest Cal 3230 with new escapement and 70h power reserve and other items (ceramic bearings for rotor which are controversial). All I can say is mine is running at +0.5s/day wearing 24/7 over the last few days.

The anti-glare has been improved - still internal.

For an excitable review of the size comparison please check here:

(sorry for the finger print on the bezel at 30)

adjustment detail

It fits comfortably on my 6 3/4 inch wrist and for my taste it suits its bracelet, though I may try on a NATO at some point.

I hope you enjoyed this excursion into my Submariner range. As a final thought, this watch being a non-date is easy to set and go and having a robust movement in the Oyster case that Rolex is famous for to protect against the elements, I hope this stays with me for a long time. A bit of icing on the cake - it comes with an added 5 year warranty from the AD, on top of the manufacture's 5 year standard.

Thanks for reading. E&O accepted.

Martyn

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 1st January 2021 at 20:57.

Thanks for great review and pictures. I think Rolex nailed this one, classic look with modern upgrades to movement and bracelet (compared to 5 digits) makes it a home run. I particularly welcome the upgraded AR.

I’m a bit tempted to either cash in on my Kermit or keep for investment only and have this as a daily watch, if I can get one at rrp.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great review. Thanks 😊

Master
    Nice review and pictures Martyn

Many thanks for the review Martyn.. beautiful images and great insights. While I wouldn't hesitate to trade my 114060 for a full set 5513 in good condition... I do find that I'm under a lot less stress when wearing a modern watch as compared to a vintage one (although I much prefer vintage Subs...) Anyway - congratulations! wear it in good health:)

Lovely watch Martyn. And even better photos! Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a great write up and pictures, thanks. Makes me really look forward to getting mine for my 40th this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brilliant write up Martyn. Thank you.

Master
    A ten year guarantee is rather reassuring.

Excellent review and an interesting comparison with the 5513. Clearly with the modern you are buying into the latest technology, the warranty, the movement, the bracelet, the lume etc. I still think there is room in any collection for a decent 5513 as Tony's SOTC shows, but perhaps more for special occasions rather than a long term daily wearer.

Great post. The only watch on my pad for 2021.

Blog Entries
    Great review of a great watch.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Thanks for the great review Martyn.

Craftsman
    Another great write up, thankyou for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Master
    I can see this watch becoming a future classic. It has all the good points of modern technology and older aesthetics combined, everyone is going to love it.

Master
    Great pictures and nice to hear about your journey in reaching the latest model.

The 124060 really is the perfect modern Rolex IMO.

Nice work, Martyn.
    It wears almost perfect but to be honest not THAT different to the previous version but certainly a bit better IMO.
    Obviously movement is a big upgrade and it will be a great seller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great stuff Martyn

The 114060 was my beater for a long time. The “boxiness” did not annoy me much but I have to admit sometimes I felt it looked a tad too square. This subtle change seems to make a big difference.

My only incoming for 2021 is the No Time To Die Bond Seamaster on mesh bracelet (in the post to me) however I have little doubt that will eventually be replaced for the 124060 if I get bored of it as per my usual Bond film watch ritual

Fantastic review, Martyn - and beautiful pictures. I have been on a very similar journey (minus the mugging, thank God). I just sold my 1680 to buy a 124060 and I really do feel happier with it than any Sub I have ever owned - out of about 15, starting with a '64 5513. It just ticks so many boxes: the aesthetic balance is back, it's robust, it has the best moment ever, and the bracelet width is a big improvement. I really think they have nailed it with this one.

I'm sure I'll be tempted to add another vintage Sub at some point, but I have bought a WMT Subdiver to sit alongside it for now. It might not be a Rolex, but it cost about £500, it is incredibly well made, it feels very similar to my vintage Subs on the wrist, I can use it as a beater and I can wear it in the shower!

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I can see this watch becoming a future classic. It has all the good points of modern technology and older aesthetics combined, everyone is going to love it.
    I think they already do, and the new Sub date seems equally popular out there as well. To be honest I don't think I've heard a bad review of either.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone for the kind replies on this and I apologies if I don't answer individually on each comment. However I see a bit of a theme here that I'd like to answer:

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Excellent review and an interesting comparison with the 5513. Clearly with the modern you are buying into the latest technology, the warranty, the movement, the bracelet, the lume etc. I still think there is room in any collection for a decent 5513 as Tony's SOTC shows, but perhaps more for special occasions rather than a long term daily wearer.
    Indeed seeing Tony's collections makes me realise there may be room for something vintage and a 5513 would be a favorite to add back.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Nice work, Martyn.
    It wears almost perfect but to be honest not THAT different to the previous version but certainly a bit better IMO.
    Obviously movement is a big upgrade and it will be a great seller.
    Only a millimetre here or there, so not that much change, but overall it's rebalanced the proportions. Though some may prefer the 114060 case shape (And the 124060 also has the latest movement).

Quote Originally Posted by pseunomis View Post
    ...but I have bought a WMT Subdiver to sit alongside it for now. It might not be a Rolex, but it cost about £500, it is incredibly well made, it feels very similar to my vintage Subs on the wrist, I can use it as a beater and I can wear it in the shower!

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
    Similarly, I've been looking at an OceanX to possibly fit that position where I want to wear a watch without any thought of protection (either mine or the watch). I am in two minds though as I don't want to be dictated by circumstance what I can or cannot wear on my wrist. I will have a think.

Martyn

Thank you for the review Martyn. Great pics and back story.
    I am on the list for one of these with my AD
    Here is hoping for the call in 2021
    The start of your post made me smile, I am fairly new to buying a few quality watches and the first two Rolex that I bought were a brand new 214270 Explorer and a beautiful condition full set 16660 from 2005.

The Sub didn’t need much improvement but that is it now. Very nice.

Apprentice
    Great write up. I wish they kept the same dial colour for the hulk with the new size and movement.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by templebar View Post
    Great write up. I wish they kept the same dial colour for the hulk with the new size and movement.
    That would have been a 'home run'! For now we just need to make do with the discontinued model - but maybe it'll get updated in 2021..

(lock-down pic from March 2020)

Happy they changed it as I'm on the list for the new one and turned down the old one twice before the madness. Looking back I should have bought one but they're not my cup of tea.

Master
    Blog Entries

REVIEW: Rolex Submariner 124060

Finally received my 124060 this week

Wow as a previous 114060 owner those subtle changes don’t half make a difference! The “block” shape now gone and this looks soooo much better!
    Last edited by kultschar; 24th June 2021 at 13:33.

The lugs are still not slim enough thought to compete with a 14060

Quote Originally Posted by omegamotorcyclist View Post
    The lugs are still not slim enough thought to compete with a 14060
    Any slimmer and it would look daft. I think they got it just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Any slimmer and it would look daft. I think they got it just right.
    Agree, they got this spot on. Easily my most worn.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Finally received my 124060 this week

Wow as a previous 114060 owner those subtle changes don’t half make a difference! The “block” shape now gone and this looks soooo much better!
    Terrific photo. The AR coating is one of the less talked about improvements

Anti reflective coating on the crystal makes huge a differnence too.

Unless the 124060, but the 126610 does and while it’s subtle the dial is alot more visible in situations where the crystal would just white out against strong reflections (i’ll take a comparison pic on the weekend if needed)

Craftsman
    An interesting write up of a very nice looking version of the Submariner.

One thing that crops up in this thread from time to time and that intrigues me, are comments from owners/former owners who suggest the vintage subs may be more fragile or not up to daily wear. This surprises me. In my view, as long as they're serviced and seals checked etc, there's no reason why they can't be used on a daily basis. I'm sure the movements would be up to it wouldn't they? I bought my first Submariner in 2002 new, and still have it. It goes on all my adventures (including summer swimming holidays), and it is as bomb proof as they day I got it IMO.

I do wear vintage watches, but were never really water proof when new. However, for most activities (other than water) I don't treat them any different to a modern watch(although they are significantly cheaper than a vintage Submariner for sure and if they broke, I wouldn't be that upset)

Genuine question to those who have experience.

Master
    Thanks Martyn; Lacking respect possibly, but is the Submariner more than a ‘butch’ version of the original Oyster Perpetual? It majors on the same two original ideas….an automatic watch which is, very, waterproof as part of its essence. That’s it.
    And perhaps , that simplicity, is the real heart of its success.
    Sorry if this sounds pretentious, but I do see the Submariner as a well extended OP. Put it another way,in normal, ordinary, life, what can the Sub do that the OP cannot cheerfully offer for the bulk of customers?
    Which is a characteristic of much of the Rolex range. Clever. And brilliant marketing.
    Last edited by paskinner; 25th June 2021 at 23:32.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Thanks Martyn; Lacking respect possibly, but is the Submariner more than a ‘butch’ version of the original Oyster Perpetual? It majors on the same two original ideas….an automatic watch which is, very, waterproof as part of its essence. That’s it.
    And perhaps , that simplicity, is the real heart of its success.
    Sorry if this sounds pretentious, but I do see the Submariner as a well extended OP. Put it another way,in normal, ordinary, life, what can the Sub do that the OP cannot cheerfully offer for the bulk of customers?
    Which is a characteristic of much of the Rolex range. Clever. And brilliant marketing.
    Only difference I see is the dive bezel adds something to the aesthetic. Apart from that nothing really differentiates the OP (or other Oyster cased Rolex) from the Submariner. I do like the symmetry of the non-date. Oh the - depth rating and triple lock crown is a difference but hardly needs for the average wearer compared to double lock 100m.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    An interesting write up of a very nice looking version of the Submariner.

One thing that crops up in this thread from time to time and that intrigues me, are comments from owners/former owners who suggest the vintage subs may be more fragile or not up to daily wear. This surprises me. In my view, as long as they're serviced and seals checked etc, there's no reason why they can't be used on a daily basis. I'm sure the movements would be up to it wouldn't they? I bought my first Submariner in 2002 new, and still have it. It goes on all my adventures (including summer swimming holidays), and it is as bomb proof as they day I got it IMO.

I do wear vintage watches, but were never really water proof when new. However, for most activities (other than water) I don't treat them any different to a modern watch(although they are significantly cheaper than a vintage Submariner for sure and if they broke, I wouldn't be that upset)

Genuine question to those who have experience.
    For me - it is the expense and difficulty of replacement of vintage puts me off - not fragility. I did have a 5513 for a while but couldn’t bear think about losing it to Davy Joan’s locker.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Excellent review, thanks Martyn. Really enjoyed it.

I also like the new no-date Sub. Such a great watch.

But that 5513 though... pure perfection.

Cheers!!!