closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Repairing a Barometer

Master

Repairing a Barometer

I'm wondering if the collective wisdom can help me. My wife has an old barometer that belonged to her father. It probably has very little real value, but means a lot to her. It isn't working and I'm wondering if anyone knew of someone who could repair it.

I have never used them but you might try R A James who say they "offer a complete restoration service to movements, cases and dials for watches, clocks, barometers and music boxes."

It might be useful to know what type of barometer you're asking about...maybe a picture would do the trick?

Funnily enough my wife just managed to drop our one and crack the circular glass so I nerd to try to find a replacement. Apparently there are ones you can get.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Master
    A few photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good...an aneroid barometer so no mercury is involved. You might try giving this guy a call (contact details at the bottom of the page): Aneroid Barometer Parts and Miscellaneous. He may be able to offer advice but their main page says "After 40 years working making and reapir barometers our workshops are now closed due to pending retirement."

Assuming you are indeed in Kent, Paul in Tankerton.
    can likely help.
    Here is a link to his site: paulwrightonclockrepair.co.uk

Paul overhauled a couple of clocks for me and I remain happy with the results. I also took him an aneroid barometer that my Late Father had won in a cycle race in the 1920s. It had stopped working. Paul took the bezel off and it instantly returned to action! Apparently, a family member was in the habit of tapping the glass and Paul said it was not uncommon for that to jam the movement! A free repair but I did treat him to an ice cream!

Happy New Year!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post
    Assuming you are indeed in Kent, Paul in Tankerton.
    can likely help....
    Happy New Year!
    Thanks for the recommendation and PickleB too. I'm wondering if I have met Paul. I was at a Sunday lunch about a year ago and one one of the guests was a clock repairer and I seem to remember his name was Paul. I'll try both web sites.

Happy New Year.

Please keep us updated on progress. No pressure.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    I contacted Paul Wrighton who was very helpful and offered to look at the barometer, bust suggested I look for someone more local, especially with the lockdown. He pointed me to the BHI and I found John Mathieson was close to me. He is willing to have a closer look and see what can be done.

The barometer was originally bought in South Africa. John suspected it was German and it turns out it is a Huger ship's barometer. I'll provide another update once he has had a look.

Super

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Please keep us updated on progress. No pressure.
    Well done!