closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay has started to add 20% VAT to all purchases to UK from EU and I guess vice versa

Amazon, too. This is what you see on Amazon UK now when the delivery address is in EU:

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Amazon, too. This is what you see on Amazon UK now when the delivery address is in EU:

The "vat may vary" part suggests to me that Amazon may adjust the price according to the vat levy in whichever EU country it is destined for as they are not all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    UK sellers will be bumping prices up also because they lose some/most of the EU buyers.
    That is their choice, there will always be competition and there will always be greed. The fact is when other put prices up there will always be someone who will undercut that price and take the sale, as for ebay I find that most items for sale on that platform can be purchased cheaper via other retailers anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    Yes, those 17 plus million have a lot to answer to, 20% on ebay purchases from the EU?, I bet they never gave that a thought when they where weighing up the pros and cons of leaving the EU, I suspect they will be kicking themselves once they realise what an impact this will have on them.
    Well I voted leave and I'm quite happy with the tax and vat arrangements thanks.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 1st January 2021 at 21:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    well i voted leave and i am happy! i will just have to buy british products and support the british economy and or british business
    Bully for you. Enjoy your over-priced Bremonts.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    There would be no VAT to deduct.

Can’t see business sellers deducting VAT either, rest of World never did.
    I just went through a process of getting an OceanX from seriouswatches.com for a sharkmaster - before the end of year VAT was included in the price - now ordering from the UK - EU VAT is not charged when shipping to a UK address when item is added to shipping process. It's a software update for company that ships multinational - UK is now treated like any other country outside the EU. Not rocket science.

OCEANX SHARKMASTER 1000 SMS1011B. --- €399.00 - (€329.75 excluding EU VAT)

I got this reply also:

We are shipping to the United Kingdom. From January 1st the UK has completely left the European Union, which means that for tax reasons it's similar to Norway and Switzerland. If you are from the UK, the VAT will be deducted during checkout, however you may be charged at your local customs. We highly recommend checking with your local customs about any taxes/duties/fees.

Long story short: you will not pay VAT, but you may be charged at UK customs. Shipping with UPS is free, of course.

I hope that this helps; if there's any way we can assist, just let me know!

Best regards,

Mark

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    And what would those benefits be for you in your line of work? Genuinely interested.
    Watch repairing is no more than a profitable hobby to me in the grand scheme of things, there are no ‘benefits’ in that respect.

I voted ‘ leave’, I don’t mind admitting that. The EU was OK back in the 1970s as a trading agreement but it should never have morphed into the Greater State Of Europe. To be honest I don’t care too much either way, I try not to fret about things I can’t influence. We voted to leave, it was a close call with no clear mandate for change, but we’ve left, time to look forward not backward.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Watch repairing is no more than a profitable hobby to me in the grand scheme of things, there are no ‘benefits’ in that respect.

I voted ‘ leave’, I don’t mind admitting that. The EU was OK back in the 1970s as a trading agreement but it should never have morphed into the Greater State Of Europe. To be honest I don’t care too much either way, I try not to fret about things I can’t influence. We voted to leave, it was a close call with no clear mandate for change, but we’ve left, time to look forward not backward.
    Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Leave the politics out everybody, please.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    It seems that ship has sadly sailed, there are now at least 4 threads that have effectively become brexit threads. At least the two threads that were started with honest intentions are in the ear pit.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 1st January 2021 at 21:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    It seems that ship has sadly sailed, there are now at least 4 threads that have effectively become brexit threads. At least the two threads that were started with honest intentions are in the ear pit.
    It's disrespectful to Eddie and the majority of the membership IMHO - politics are fine when contained in the right forum. Here and G&D are not the place.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Well I voted leave and I'm quite happy with the tax and vat arrangements thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

It's disrespectful to Eddie and the majority of the membership IMHO - politics are fine when contained in the right forum. Here and G&D are not the place.
    Indeed,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I just went through a process of getting an OceanX from seriouswatches.com for a sharkmaster - before the end of year VAT was included in the price - now ordering from the UK - EU VAT is not charged when shipping to a UK address when item is added to shipping process. It's a software update for company that ships multinational - UK is now treated like any other country outside the EU. Not rocket science.

I got this reply also:
    You’re lucky, not my experience ordering elsewhere.

Indeed, I was agreeing with you. Gets on my toot aswell, some individuals on here will inject their political agenda at every opportunity. Politics is okay everywhere on the forum as long as it is their politics.

Blog Entries
    Yes, those 17 plus million have a lot to answer to, 20% on ebay purchases from the EU?, I bet they never gave that a thought when they where weighing up the pros and cons of leaving the EU, I suspect they will be kicking themselves once they realise what an impact this will have on them.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Now, now, no politics in the G&D...

Otherwise someone might mention buses...

So, how does eBay know I'm not a business? I'm at least as confused as I was at the start...

If I sell a watch to someone will they pay eBay 20% on top?

M
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Indeed,
    Indeed.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 2nd January 2021 at 00:35.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I can't imagine a scenario where a retailer or seller can swallow a reduction equal to the VAT addition.
    Most watches (aside from Rolex) were available in Heathrow with a VAT equivalent discount when flying to the EU

Journeyman
    well i voted leave and i am happy! i will just have to buy british products and support the british economy and or british business

I am with you all the way, we have left for the love of god knock it on the head!!!

Scottie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Most watches (aside from Rolex) were available in Heathrow with a VAT equivalent discount when flying to the EU
    I think that’s abolished too from Jan 1 - can’t put my finger on the relevant gov site right now but did read this about airside changes in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie2345 View Post
    I am with you all the way, we have left for the love of god knock it on the head!!!

Scottie
    Totally agree with you guys, lets move forward to a safer new year rather than worry about some ebay seller charging extra for a luxury item

Master
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree with you guys, lets move forward to a safer new year rather than worry about some ebay seller charging extra for a luxury item
    Very sensible post

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie2345 View Post

Scottie
    Without going into the politics of it, I feel you are being a little naive if you think the politics of Brexit is over - this one will continue to run and run....

Master
    I think that’s abolished too from Jan 1 - can’t put my finger on the relevant gov site right now but did read this about airside changes in the UK.
    I think it will because duty free is reintroduced between us and the EU

Master

I got this reply also:

We are shipping to the United Kingdom. From January 1st the UK has completely left the European Union, which means that for tax reasons it's similar to Norway and Switzerland. If you are from the UK, the VAT will be deducted during checkout, however you may be charged at your local customs. We highly recommend checking with your local customs about any taxes/duties/fees.

Long story short: you will not pay VAT, but you may be charged at UK customs. Shipping with UPS is free, of course.

That leaves me slightly confused as well! I can't see how we will not have to pay VAT to a Govt at some point, but since under the deal we have tariff free trade, we shouldn't have any customs duties to pay! (Unless they are referring to paying VAT at customs). When I bought a car from Belgium in 1999 (before single market), I didn't pay Belgian VAT, but had to make a declaration to the UK Govt about the value of the car after I arrived back in the UK and got a VAT bill. Can't remember if there were an import duties.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    That leaves me slightly confused as well! I can't see how we will not have to pay VAT to a Govt at some point, but since under the deal we have tariff free trade, we shouldn't have any customs duties to pay! (Unless they are referring to paying VAT at customs). When I bought a car from Belgium in 1999 (before single market), I didn't pay Belgian VAT, but had to make a declaration to the UK Govt about the value of the car after I arrived back in the UK and got a VAT bill. Can't remember if there were an import duties.
    Should be that we are not paying VAT in an EU country, but will pay VAT in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    It all depends on the overseas seller, it’s just the same now as if you were buying from say the USA, VAT is payable on imports. If you buy something from the EU and they are not set up to deduct their local version of VAT then yes, you will pay VAT twice, that was the beauty / benefit of the customs Union while being a member of the EU.
    I'm puzzled why they would now charge the VAT at source?

It should be like ordering from anywhere else in the world, where the value of the item is declared and the postal service will charge VAT, Customs when entering the UK.

Surely, the bottom line is that EU sellers should not be adding VAT to their sales to the UK? I would have asked them to deduct it?

Master
    I foresee a lot of dodgy brokers setting in Belfast to buy watches from the EU on single-market terms, then posting 'birthday presents' to Britain, taking 5% off the top.

While the process/VAT legislation is pretty clear for B2C sellers in the EU and Online Market Places for registered business sellers, it's a lot more confusing for C2C private sales. Again, I expect a lot of 'gifts' and under value customs declarations (just as DHGate and AliExpress sellers do now, of course)
    Last edited by J J Carter; 2nd January 2021 at 10:31.

It is normal that a private individual cannot deduct any VAT on export sales. A VAT registered company can but only do this if the recipient / importer themselves is VAT
    registered so they have a receiving VAT number to register on the invoice. This is how it has worked in Sweden for a long time. This also applies to purchases within the
    EU where I as an entrepreneur do not have to pay the seller's VAT but have to add Swedish VAT when selling.

Craftsman
    Well said, everyone has choices

Master
    Then there is the interesting point about the legal nature of ebay.....are we buying from ebay, or are they merely facilitating a sale between an individual and another individual or company? I always presumed the latter, but if they are making arrangements like adding or subtracting VAT to sales to/from the EU, then they seem to acting like the former!

As I keep reading that we have now "taken back control" it might be amusing to remind our politicians that VAT is actually a European Tax which the UK was required to adopt when we joined back in 1973................

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    I'm puzzled why they would now charge the VAT at source?

It should be like ordering from anywhere else in the world, where the value of the item is declared and the postal service will charge VAT, Customs when entering the UK.

Surely, the bottom line is that EU sellers should not be adding VAT to their sales to the UK? I would have asked them to deduct it?
    I think its more ebay trying to make it easier for buyers to purchase to avoid having to mess about with sorting it out when the item arrives.

Interesting comment from above about brokers potentially starting up in N Ireland (and I would guess the republic as well) Could be the shape of things to come....

Are City Watches not posted from Ireland?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post

Singapore, in my experience, though of course it may vary, depending.

Looking at a private sale steinhart from germany now and there is no mention of additional charges.

Where does it show or have they changed it today?

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Looking at a private sale steinhart from germany now and there is no mention of additional charges.

I've been looking at an SLA023 thats in Italy. At the moment it's very cheap and there is no mention of extra charges in the postage section.
    It appears that when a seller doesn't use the GSP ebay leaves the charges to the buyer to sort out, but with GSP sales ebay take care of it and add the charges at checkout.

You will get taxed 20% vat plus handling when it comes into the UK.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Singapore, in my experience, though of course it may vary, depending.
    Yes I know their base is there but I thought they use a 3rd party in Ireland so the buyer doesnt have any extra charges?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Hear hear !

The EU announced this change some time ago. It’s mainly to crack down on business sellers who avoid declaring and remitting VAT. More responsibility is being placed on the trading platforms like eBay.

Brexit has made some difference as the UK had to introduce an equivalent regime. The UK decided to stick with the original date of 1st Jan. The EU have delayed the wider change to mid-2021 because of Covid. The UK one doesn’t benefit from some thresholds in the EU one as we are not in the Single Market now, but is essentially the same in principle.

Private sales are supposed to be exempt as I understand it. However it seems very difficult for a platform sale to be shown to be private at least for sales to the UK.

Yes I know their base is there but I thought they use a 3rd party in Ireland so the buyer doesnt have any extra charges?
    If that is true, it won’t make any difference in the future as this scenario is explicitly covered in the new EU regulations, precisely to enforce the collection of VAT.

It is designed to protect local sellers from being undercut ‘unfairly’ by overseas sellers running clever supply chains.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    You will get taxed 20% vat plus handling when it comes into the UK.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The thread title suggests ebay were processing the charge.

I think for VATable items under €150 they are required to, according to the new rules.

Looks like it, but I think the differing advice is due to you saying it was a private purchase, but not mentioned that it was via ebay.

I think its more ebay trying to make it easier for buyers to purchase to avoid having to mess about with sorting it out when the item arrives.

Interesting comment from above about brokers potentially starting up in N Ireland (and I would guess the republic as well) Could be the shape of things to come....

Indeed isn't it the Ebay Global Shipping program - where you pay your dues up front and therefore nothing when in the UK.

Yes City Watches (aren't these Creation Watches, where HMRC got wind of them and started charging VAT etc???) post from Ireland and sometimes they seem to be posted from Manchester.

I haven't looked on their site for a while, perhaps I will now :)

Master
    When I bought something from them it direct from Singapore - I remember 'cos I felt misled by the website that claimed it was in UK stock! I nearly bought something else from them, and that was in Singapore, and there is a note on their site saying that purchases are subject to local taxes & duties.

Master
    It appears that when a seller doesn't use the GSP ebay leaves the charges to the buyer to sort out, but with GSP sales ebay take care of it and add the charges at checkout.
    I used the ebay GSP system to buy a watch from the USA, and it was great except that the USPS took forever to send it across the US to the ebay GSP centre in Kentucky! (btw it got from there to my door in 48 hours via Hermes!). Obviously a GSP facility hasn't been needed for UK-Europe transactions until now - will they introduce it now (or have they already)???

I used the ebay GSP system to buy a watch from the USA, and it was great except that the USPS took forever to send it across the US to the ebay GSP centre in Kentucky! (btw it got from there to my door in 48 hours via Hermes!). Obviously a GSP facility hasn't been needed for UK-Europe transactions until now - will they introduce it now (or have they already)???
    The GSP facility has been available on Ebay for sending to Europe for a few years now. But until now it was nothing to do with vat payments, it was there as a safe way for sellers to send to the continent, and for ebay to make a few more bob of course.

Master
    Great Mitch! You can buy as many Bremonts as you wish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

If you look at the price underneath it clearly states without tax, which what you pay, then as said,you pay VAT when it gets to the UK. simples.

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    Hear hear !
    48% of the country would probably spell it “here here”

Craftsman
    Now that's an idea I can get behind ;)

Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post
    As I keep reading that we have now "taken back control" it might be amusing to remind our politicians that VAT is actually a European Tax which the UK was required to adopt when we joined back in 1973................