closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Shower Pumps!!

Master

Shower Pumps!!

Can anyone recommend a quiet pump?

I've mains cold water but gravity hot water to a bathroom so a shower is hit and miss to say the least!!

Checked out a friends pump but its so noisy I wouldn't be able to live with it.

Any first hand suggestions please?

Craftsman
    I gave up with pumps etc and had a mains pressure hot water cylinder installed. We now have mains pressure hot water throughout the house. Best thing I ever did and solved the problem once and for all.

Master

Master
    Second Stuart Turner-

Bought one about ten years ago, does everything it supposed to do- I had one slight problem, CS were brilliant, went out of their way to help.
    Last edited by Rob153; 1st January 2021 at 13:01.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonah View Post
    I gave up with pumps etc and had a mains pressure hot water cylinder installed. We now have mains pressure hot water throughout the house. Best thing I ever did and solved the problem once and for all.
    We did exactly this it transformed the house even a couple of showers running at the same time are decent now rather than running around to get wet.

Grand Master
    My former house, a typical 4 bed modern detached built in 1999, had two showers, both gravity fed with a 200 litre hot water rank fed by a header tank in the loft. I found this OK, the showers produced 5.5 litres/ minute at 42 degrees and that was sufficient for me. I checked the figures when I refurbished one bathroom, I decided to stick with like for like so I needed to know what I was dealing with (bathroom firm I dealt with were no help, they just wanted to sell me something expensive).

I think you have to be clear about what problem you’re trying to solve. I decided against installing a pump to avoid complexity, I could've had more flow rate that way but that increases hot water usage and hot water doesn’t come free, particularly with an inefficient old- style boiler and tank. I could’ve increased the flow rate by around 15% by moving the header tank higher, I planned to do that but never got around to it.

I would thoroughly check what you’ve got before spending on a pump.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonah View Post
    This. Just moved from a house with three shower pumps to one with main pressure hot water cylinder and the difference is staggering. No noise and no issues, wished we done it in the old house years ago.

Master
    We have a pressurised system now, but before that we had pumps and as has been said earlier - Stuart Turner all the way.
    If they’re installed properly and only connected to the showers then they’re not that noisy.
    It’s when they’re connected to everything that you notice the noise - for example the basin taps, kitchen taps etc.
    You should be able to get one pump that will serve 2 showers well and makes for easier install - depends on the pipe work.

Blog Entries
    If you can do so, get an Aqualisa digital shower fitted. Best showers we ever had.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    This. Just moved from a house with three shower pumps to one with main pressure hot water cylinder and the difference is staggering. No noise and no issues, wished we done it in the old house years ago.
    This. We have recently moved into a house with boiler that delivers mains pressure HW. Having previously lived In a property with traditional gravity fed HW and shower pumps, I would never go back. Our previous house bathroom had Hudson and Reed taps and fittings, the Slower control valve failed after 4 years, and the bath taps were always coming loose. I now have Grohe and so far I haven’t had any issues. I’m particularly impressed with the Grohe thermostatic control.

No shower pump will be completely silent but Stuart Turner are the best pumps bar none.

Stuart Turner pumps are good, I have one myself but if you would find the noise of a pump unbearable, I would recommend considering converting to an unvented cylinder, as recommended by a few in this thread

We have done this for a number of customers now, it’s a great solution and depending on space available, can usually satisfactorily supply mains pressure hot water to multiple showers and baths at the same time as they come in various sizes to suit different needs, we have also fitted Stuart Turner Mainsboost to larger properties with excellent results.

I would suggest some internet research, it may be a better long term solution for you? In my experience, even the best shower pumps aren’t that quiet, will need maintenance, can be leaky, will generally get noisier with age and will need replacing.

That said, it will be a much more expensive job than a pump installation, I guess it depends how intolerant to the pump noise you would be.

Master
    Had our old combi converted to a system boiler with a 300L unvented tank. Hot water supplied at mains pressure. Showers are delivered at damn good pressure and hot especially as there is only a meter or so between tank and shower.

Wouldn't go back to combi personally.

Plus you have the added benefit that if your gas supply stops you can use the immersion heaters in the tank so at least get hot water.

Takes more space (and more expensive due to tank) but worth it imo.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Master
    I'd never heard of unvented HW tanks. Great shout and so glad I asked :0)

Blog Entries
    Still think an Aqualisa digital shower is the best option for a gravity fed system. Probably less hassle to get fitted as well than new tanks malarkey.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    My friend is in the construction industry he’s been recommending a device that gets rid of the water cylinder and replacing it with a box this size of a microwave. It’s heats on demand.

Releases the space of the water tank, better for Maintenance as doesn’t have the same hard water vulnerabilities and water on demand instead of hoping the tank hasn’t been emptied when you want a shower.

We have 2 Aqualisa pumped thermostatic showers, one is 15 years old the other 2 years old and they are excellent. You can hear them but they are very quiet.

I did look at a pressurised system as some have suggested, but our mains pressure is not high enough to make it worthwhile. We also have an inline pump on the hot water to raise the pressure in the taps, also worth it if you have low hot water pressure in the house.

One tip is to put the pump on a thin layer of dense foam as this dampens the vibration and hence the main noise source.