closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collectors, Collecting, Collection - Do You?

Collectors, Collecting, Collection - Do You?

Thought it might be interesting to see what we are interested in and collect other than watches, it could be a collection of vinyl records, one classic car, lots of guitars - whatever..

I have a modern classic car which I adore and no matter the value I feel I just couldn’t sell it, currently doing a lot of work to it but would love it back on the road in 2021.
    Also a fair few rare airguns which I rarely shoot but really enjoy tinkering and letting off the odd pellet, couple of guitars that if I could play well I know I would have a serious unhealthy collection going on..

I guess if you own several watches then you are more than likely to own several other interesting things, so what have you got and what are you likely to add or move on in 2021?

I am a serial collector.
    Vintage flying jackets
    Watches
    Lee Enfield rifles - if 2 soon to be three are a collection
    A Willys Jeep that needs all the gubbins with it.
    Viz annuals
    Giles annuals
    Rugby Shirts - (that I have played in)
    I am surprised the Mrs puts up with me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m prone to a bit of collecting but I’m trying to extract myself from it as I don’t think it’s that healthy to horde stuff that I don’t use.

Vintage Pinarellos.

https://www.redvelo.co.uk/vintage-pi...ontellos/blue/

Campagnolo 50th Anniversary components and associated ephemera.

https://www.redvelo.co.uk/cycling/ca...sary-groupset/

I’m in a sell off phase currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I am a serial collector.
    Vintage flying jackets
    Watches
    Lee Enfield rifles - if 2 soon to be three are a collection
    A Willys Jeep that needs all the gubbins with it.
    Viz annuals
    Giles annuals
    Rugby Shirts - (that I have played in)
    I am surprised the Mrs puts up with me.
    Viz, some of the best comedy you’ll ever read, actually side splitting some of it!!

Always fancied shooting a Lee Enfield and it must be so cool to drive that Jeep on a nice summers day

Craftsman
    I collect signed art prints, Picasso, Dali, Miro, Moore, Passmore, Piper, Frost, the list goes on. Had to move twice to make room for them...

SWMBO also loves ceramics, Kate Malone, Phil Rogers, Lisa Hammond, Ken Matsuzaki and more.

Complementary which is fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Viz, some of the best comedy you’ll ever read, actually side splitting some of it!!

Always fancied shooting a Lee Enfield and it must be so cool to drive that Jeep on a nice summers day
    When it works it is

Master
    German salt glazed 0.5 & 1 ltr branded beer mugs, pin badges,
    sew on cloth patches, jackets, Fuji mirrorless bodies & lenses, art deco advertising prints, framed & hung, shoes. Original watercolours picked up from charity shops, and finally books.
    There are many things I'd like to collect but money & time get in the way. I just love collecting stuff.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Apart from watches, I used to collect EVO Magazine, but recently sold editions 1 to 275.

I guess you'd say that with over 1000 of them, I collect CD's
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I collect 6” Star Wars action figures, mainly Hasbro Black Series with a few Bandai SH Figuarts sprinkled in for good measure. I have at least 8 figures on pre-order at the moment.

Classic cars and upcoming classics - 6.
    Vintage fly rods - all used on a rotation basis.
    Ari Hart Fly reels.
    Watches.
    And according to Her indoors digital cameras and lenses.
    and forgot the drawer full of sunglasses...

Craftsman
    I collect books records CDs the problem is that sometimes I buy stuff just for the sake of it ,it's too easy online particularly if it's inexpensive ,Also it takes over the house if your not careful

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Mainly Pre-war cheesecake pin up cigarette cards although I have most of them now.

Electric guitars.......and associated ephemera.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Chess sets.

Cameras and lenses. I recently brought an OM1 for very very little because I can’t bear seeing bargains go by. These are cameras I used to dream of owning. Even though I will probably never use them I can’t bring myself to sell my Leica Ms, they are beautiful machines - much like a fine watch and just as addictive.

A collection of Apple Macs spanning almost thirty years.

Mrs Tuttle collects Verwood pottery, in part because she claims her ancestors made it.

Both Mrs Tuttle and I have amassed and are housing most of the remnants of the Library of Alexandria.

Tuttle minor collects Trilobites and would collect ants if we’d allow them in the house.

Tuttle Major collects and distributes noise, clutter and kibble. We therefore have alternating geological strata of kibble inter-dispersed with layers of books. At some point we’re going to have to get a grip.

Oh and each year we seem to get a new cat wander in and take up residence.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Mmmm.

I tend to go through phases with things.

At the moment, I'm in the dying phase of an infatuation with 1:18 diecasts, mostly because I have a huge number stored in boxes and realise I'm wasting my time and money - I will probably start selling some soon - Some have appreciated significantly in value, many were just a money sink!

I have got a small (3 examples, another was sold recently) collection of Nikonos dive cameras and dabble a little with vintage Conshelf dive regulators (I've just had the covers on 4 second stages rechromed, they look great, but probably aren't worth what I spent on them!) - I bought them from interest, but I don't see either expanding.

I have a lot of magazines, books and CDs, but I don't really 'collect', just 'retain' those - I plan to read all the unread books and magazines when I retire!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Watches current @ 12
    couple of cars/ hotrod/70s classic
    air/ co2 replica guns, colt 1911, winchester rifle, MP40m & glock
    product design collectables,stingray, super car ( both) , UFO
    coins, sovs 2005 & 2012 special years
    star treck communicator ( bluetooth)
    2 genuine M51 parkers ( korean war)& officers over coat

& things lost along the way in the last 64 years

I have always been a collector of something. Stamps, phonecards, music, Australian muscle cars etc.

These days I try to live as a minimalist with just one weakness, music. I am an avid collector of music and autographed records. I love music and have been collecting for decades, I am starting to slow now though as my doesn't have too many holes.

I was an avid collector of vinyl in the eighties and nineties, my interest waned with CD's and streaming suits me far better.
    I would hunt down anything connected with a favourite band, eg a 12" where someone played in the session horn section, different country releases, white labels, etc.

I think there are 2 basic types, the completist,like me, who would ideally like to own all 3 iterations of the Pelagos, and then go back and work on the smiley models, and the person who wants to keep something alive that otherwise might be forgotten or become "extinct"

I have been an avid collector of many things over the years, but the main ones these days, aside from watches, are:

Fossils, minerals and gemstones (including meteorites)
    Art
    Antiques, artefacts and curios
    Movie memorabilia
    Historic signatures
    Space memorabilia - mostly astronaut signatures
    Mdina and Murano glass
    Model cars (mostly high-quality models of 1950's - 80's)
    Retro handheld VFD electronic games

I used to collect full size pinball and arcade machines, but they really do take up a lot of space and maintenance effort, so only have a couple now.

A lot of the fun for me is tracking the stuff down.
    Last edited by TheFlyingBanana; 2nd January 2021 at 02:06.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Journeyman
    Atm I am not collecting anything but if I had to choose something for that I would choose lighters. For the past 3 days I watched about a hundred videos of the reviews of different lighters on yt. I would buy a Dupont someday if these lighters didn't cost so much :)

In the last few years I've started collecting those Funko Pop figures but only signed ones. Star Wars is my thing so I have some crackers, but also have a rare Tony Hawk one (bit of a hero of mine since I was a teenager). Met some of the SW actors and it's always nicer having them signed in person.

I managed to acquire Dave Prowse and Jeremy Bulloch ones in the last year and had more Boba Fett ones for Jeremy to sign until he sadly passed away recently.

Blog Entries
    Among other things (collectors often collect more than one thing!!) I collect swords. They are often utilitarian, but sometimes can be quite well decorated and finished. Some of the etching on the blades is quite spectacular and very artistic. I have swords ranging from infantry models to US Cavalry sabres from the 1800s. The 1860 Heavy Cavalry Sabre at 36" long would need a strong arm and wrist for example! It's nickname was "Old Wristbreaker'. One of the features I find with swords is that after a while you can tell a repro from the real thing when you pick them up. Another one I have is a Thames River Police sword, from the time when such things were needed. It's very short compared to most swords at only 26" because it would be needed in confined spaces on boats.

I also like sword canes, and have a couple of Toledo bladed sword canes. Jim Bowie, of Bowie knife fame, was stabbed with a sword cane, when a duel he was present at as a second descended into a brawl, but he survived.

They are all retired now which is no bad thing, and just survive as reference pieces to very different times.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Massively into Casual shoes. Got about 40 pairs. All different brands but mainly Clarks Originals and Padmore and Barnes. Nice to have something different to wear pretty much every time you get dressed up.

Grand Master
    Whisky and Bikes

The Whisky is always disappearing and the bikes seem to accidentally multiply on a 1 out 2 in basis
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Whisky and Bikes

The Whisky is always disappearing and the bikes seem to accidentally multiply on a 1 out 2 in basis
    Bike ownership is always N+1...

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Nice to have something different to wear pretty much every time you get dressed up.
    I could get away with my single pair of Havianas then!

M

Only Lego but been reducing. Still got over 100 sets on display though

I’ve just got the cars down to five so probably not a collection, but the 1:32 slot cars are over 200

At one time, old toy soldiers, Britains, Mignot, Barclays that sort of thing. Interest waned, still have some packed away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm a compulsive omni-collector, which sounds so much better than hoarder. Joking aside, and not including horology, I collect the following: old books, antique silver and post-war designer silver, vintage mens accessories, and I'm sure there's a few things I've missed. There are other things I'd like to collect, but alas, I have neither the funds nor the room for them, so it's an academic point.

Master
    Consoles and games mainly. A modest collection but certainly too big for me to display in my house (and my wife won't allow it) so I am building a garden office hopefully to enjoy them.

Watches - well over 100

Fountain pens - well over 100

Cameras - about 35

Aviation and space related books - around 1150! (some signed by the authors, test pilots etc.)

and recently, torches - 25

It'll be a nightmare when we eventually move house, especially packing up all the books carefully!

Like TheFlyingBanana I also have some astronaut autographs, mainly from Apollo astronauts I have met.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sneakers, mainly Lanvin toe-capped variants in both low and high top. Got about 22 pairs.
    LV/MCM/Lanvin/Filson bags - mainly backpacks and sling or messenger bags. 18 at last count.

Both accidental collections that have grown over the years rather than focussed buying.

Own quote a few vinyls, used to collect Jordon sneakers back in the days - but nothing comes close to watches

Master
    Antique maps!

I had over 300 16th & 17th century original maps of Scotland, UK & Scandinavia. Kept them under the bed until I sat and valued them where I nearly had a heart attack. Couldn't get insurance so sold out the whole collection to the National Library.

Got a few now but not getting into it in such a big way again.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Silver, bronze and modern age comics. Mostly marvel but also a lot of image, dark horse and top cow.

When I started at 11, we all chose differently. Whilst they went for the more recently marketable Spiderman, Avengers, X-Men etc. I was in love with clobbering time and focussed on the Fantastic Four. With duplicates (and further multiples... don't judge me), annuals, cross overs, appearances etc. These alone make up about 1000 copies... and probably less than a quarter of the total... my wife has no idea of the extent until my parents move and want them cleared... all acid free card and pouches of course in dry storage... some I sent to CGC for proper grading and many I have signed, especially those from modern era.

I still enjoy the artwork everyday with a few frames around the house I am allowed to rotate.

One that I recently rediscovered that tickles me, I have tried to attach as a photo. Meant nothing when I bought it of course and I doubt the latest incarnation of Spiderman movies will ever resurrect this particular arch villain who may either be better suited to a church fete next to the tombola, or the blue oyster bar...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Seem to jump from one collecting area to the next, but over the years:

Rare records (especially The Who, David Bowie, Pink Floyd and 60s/70s stuff)
    Rock memorabilia (original stuff, concert posters, gold discs etc not recently produced rubbish)
    British Psychedelic posters - Hapshash and the Coloured Coat, Martin Sharp etc.
    Rock Stars gear - had a John Entwistle owned bass and a Keith Moon used cymbal plus other stuff.
    Hammer movie posters - original quad posters etc
    Ealing comedy movie posters - originals
    Railway posters - originals from the 40s to 60s
    Railway station totem signs - original
    Moorcroft pottery
    Wine, had a full run of Penfolds Grange from 1990 to 2006 at one point.

At present, just:

Watches

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy! View Post
    One that I recently rediscovered that tickles me, I have tried to attach as a photo. Meant nothing when I bought it of course and I doubt the latest incarnation of Spiderman movies will ever resurrect this particular arch villain who may either be better suited to a church fete next to the tombola, or the blue oyster bar...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Tropical diseases, odd socks and dust
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Empty whisky bottles.

Hic.

Some great posts here and really interesting to see some of the items you all have..

Children = 4

No time, room or money to collect anything else! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Seem to jump from one collecting area to the next, but over the years:

Moorcroft pottery

My Mrs collects Moorcroft.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Vinyl.
    Sold it all in 2008 and ended up starting again, back over 2000 lp’s
    I can’t pass a boot fair or a charity shop without a good rummage, and am adept at spotting bargain in second hand vinyl shops/ eBay etc.
    I recoup some by selling but it’s always growing! I have matrix numbers etc ingrained into my psyche

- - - Updated - - -

Vinyl.
    Sold it all in 2008 and ended up starting again, back over 2000 lp’s
    I can’t pass a boot fair or a charity shop without a good rummage, and am adept at spotting bargain in second hand vinyl shops/ eBay etc.
    I recoup some by selling but it’s always growing! I have matrix numbers etc ingrained into my psyche
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    Not quite collecting in the strictest sense, but I’ve amassed a fair collection of traditional- styled Fred Perry polo shirts over the past 20 years, plus a number of Ben Sherman check shirts. I’ve never been one for brands and labels but Fred Perry polos always appealed, couldn't afford them as a youngster so I’ve made up for it since. When they get scruffy and faded I relegate them to everyday wear, then to DIY duties and finally (when they’re dropping to pieces) to decorating wear. It’s a sad day when a Fred goes in the bin. I have a few that very rarely get worn and in hindsight I wish I’d bought two of some designs, one to keep and one to wear. In recent years the designs and sizes have changed slightly, the traditional M12 Made in England range continue, but the others aren’t the same, the M1200 range were the best for me but they were discontinued a while ago. Managed to pick a couple up as NOS in 2018...... it’s a bit like buying old watches if you know what to look for!

I have a fascination with old maps and that’s an area of collecting I could get into, but Mrs W tries to discourage me from hoarding stuff thesedays.

I like to smooth my inner child by collecting anything Harry Potter related. My home office is a bit of a shrine.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    and recently, torches - 25

It'll be a nightmare when we eventually move house...
    You'll be OK, hunting around for things in the loft though

M

Craftsman
    I ve always been a collector. When I was a kid it was key rings, football stickers, garbage pail kids. In my 20’s it was ‘80s toys mainly Star Wars.

Now apart from watches I collect old fords but limited to 2 because of storage. Tamiya r/c reissues, jackets mainly type III denim style and ‘40’s/50’s jackets plaid or chain stitched, Crombie overcoats, Italian knitted shirts, denim, trickers boots, 3 button mod suits and accessories, Tattoos and tattooing books, zippos And latest thing is world championship boxing belts.

The mrs is very understanding...

Grand Master
    I collect pay and display car park tickets
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I collect pay and display car park tickets
    Do you have a favourite?

Cigars, whiskey, motorbikes, clocks and safes amongst other things. It’s a form of madness for sure.