closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Condensation issues in loft since insulating

Condensation issues in loft since insulating

Possibly the most exciting thread you’ will read this year...
    Certainly a title to grab and hold the reader’s attention!

Looking for any ideas from the learned lot here. I’ve had the loft boarded out, insulted, carpeted for a bit more office space.

I’ve noticed in the lower sections of the eaves, where I have only insulated and not had plastered, that there has been some water ingress. It’s pooling on the floorboards in a few locations.
    It was always dry before (I think) and the roof tiles are all sound - so am guessing condensation is forming between underside of the tiles and the new insulation panels, then running down until they find a join and leak through.
    They are a sort of kingspan type sandwich board of hard foam and a foil topper.

Anyone experienced this? Is there a fix?
    I’ve had half of it boarded and plastered/painted now, and carpeted - but expect the same happening under the plaster boarded areas too.

Happy New Year’s eve to you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m no expert but have been looking at warm deck roofs and cold roofs. I suspect if you have insulated between the rafters you have created a cold roof. Cold roofs need ventilation and vapour control layers to avoid moisture build up. There is lots on google on this. I’m sure one of the kNowledgable builders on here will be able to advise.

If it was not leaking before then I suggest that ventilation is the issue, check out the "London Flat Roofing" company, he hascaxYT channel with discusses ventilation issues once insulation is installed. Robin Clevett is also excellent in his insulation videos.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I think your problem is you insulted the roof and the puddles you have found are it’s tears.

Joking aside, ventilation is almost certainly going to be your problem. The water you have found is from warm, moist air rising through the house, hitting the foil faced insulation and condensing, running to the lowest point and pooling on the floor. Whenever I detail loft conversions, I look to create a vapour permeable build-up but also include background ventilation. Could you retro-fit background ventilation or trickle vents in the window frames?

I endorse the diagnosis of inadequate ventilation. I had the very same problem, cured completely by installing new PVC soffit boards with vents above the insulation level. 100% success.

Master
    Get a google for "Insulated Loft Space" and this shows all you need in the images

Insulated space should be entirely separated from the weather bearing roof structure with a free moving vented airspace between. In my diagram the red arrows show this.

Not sure if this link will take you to right page
    https://www.google.com/search?q=insu...dF9sJXXqKedFdM

Craftsman
    Yep another vote from me for inadequate ventilation. I have looked at doing the same to my loft, but would be concerned about loosing the current ventilation system.

Will the op have any right to redress from the people who completed the work?