closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Doorbell

Master

Video Doorbell

I was going to buy a Ring then this came up as an alternative with no subscription:
    Victure Wireless Video Doorbell Camera with 1080P HD, Smart Motion Detection, Wide Angle, 2-Way Audio,Local Storage,IP65
    Anyone got one?
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 30th December 2020 at 17:43.

I’ve been very pleased with my Eufy wireless doorbell. It takes power from my old mains doorbell wires and rings the old chimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I was going to buy a Ring then this came up as an alternative with no subscription:
    Victure Wireless Video Doorbell Camera with 1080P HD, Smart Motion Detection, Wide Angle, 2-Way Audio,Local Storage,IP65
    Anyone got one?

Would not touch it with a barge pole - Victure are notorious for being easy to hack [and also are known to set your passwords direct to unknown servers in china] - it's not even clear they make their own gear or just rebadge stuff.

Anyone got one?
    Netatmo do one that requires no subscription and isn’t cheap junk like the one you mention.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Netatmo do one that requires no subscription and isn’t cheap junk like the one you mention.
    It's £270 fcs. I might as well buy a Ring and pay subscription. Also I need a battery one.

Craftsman
    I would also recommend Eufy.

I recently fitted the 2k wired version bought during the Amazon Black Friday sale.

Easy to fit and set up and works extremely well. 4gb storage and no monthly fees.

The 2k battery one is currently on offer for around £145 on Amazon.

I bought a Ring doorbell (v2) for my parents along with a Wi-fi extender and the experience has been poor. I can’t say I’m that impressed with the Ring camera system (no doorbell) I have at home either. Just installed Eufy camera system (again, no doorbell) at my girlfriend’s and it’s been ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I’ve been very pleased with my Eufy wireless doorbell. It takes power from my old mains doorbell wires and rings the old chimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by weedram View Post
    I would also recommend Eufy.

I recently fitted the 2k wired version bought during the Amazon Black Friday sale.

Easy to fit and set up and works extremely well. 4gb storage and no monthly fees.

The 2k battery one is currently on offer for around £145 on Amazon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    I bought a Ring doorbell (v2) for my parents along with a Wi-fi extender and the experience has been poor. I can’t say I’m that impressed with the Ring camera system (no doorbell) I have at home either. Just installed Eufy camera system (again, no doorbell) at my girlfriend’s and it’s been ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks like the Eufy then. Can you add extra subscribers with this one? I would like my Daughter to be able to access it from her home if possible.

Looks like the Eufy then. Can you add extra subscribers with this one? I would like my Daughter to be able to access it from her home if possible.
    You can have guest accounts who can access the feed. They install the Eufy app and create an account. You then send them an invite and they get access to your system. I’ve not set it up in my 6 camera system but it is definitely possible.
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 31st December 2020 at 00:16.

Master
    Thanks everyone. This is what makes this a good forum.

I bought a Ring video doorbell a year ago (December 2019), and it has been fantastic.
    To achieve the benefit you require depends on a number of factors eg angle of doorbell, position and distance from the footpath, proximity to WiFi etc.
    To use as a doorbell, my experience has been amazing. It has never failed when rung. The images of visitors are always crisp, even at night.
    The images from a distance are not great, for example recording a car driving past the house, or people walking across the road, but it shouldn't really be used for that.
    I have this with a Chime, so it rings inside the house, not just on my iPhone.

My router is positioned near the upstairs bedroom window which overlooks the doorway, with the doorbell, and my WiFi signal has been great.
    The battery lasts about 3 weeks, and takes 30 seconds to change; it's worth investing in a spare battery for £20.

I also purchased the Ring Stick up cam to use as CCTV, and the image quality on these are great, day and night. The UI is really easy, videos can be downloaded and shared in seconds, everything I wanted.
    Once again, the battery lasts around 2-3 weeks, depending on your sensitivity level, and takes around 45 seconds to replace.

Having used the Ring video doorbell and 5 Ring Stick Up Cams for the past 12 months, I would highly recommend them.
    The subscription costs £20 per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Another recommendation for Eufy. I also 2 outdoor cameras and an indoor one (for the dog). Excellent all round. One of the biggest benefits is the App (for iPhone) is also very good.

Blog Entries
    With the Eufy doorbell you need the Homebase as well.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Could you explain that please?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    The one I mentioned in my earlier post has the Homebase included in the package, so everything you need.

There is one older version of the Eufy doorbell which requires a separate Homebase 2. The wired one I have doesn't use one, but has a remote chime. The version not including the Homebase is clearly marked in the product description.

Links to the wireless one I mentioned in my earlier post which includes the Homebase:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ref_=pd_gw_unk
    Last edited by weedram; 31st December 2020 at 10:33.

We sell the ener j video door bell in our shop if you need any help or info
    Wouldn’t say it’s the best on the market
    Don’t forget ring you have to pay a monthly subscription
    Ener j we’re doing me a cracking deal on them before Xmas.
    Cost to me was about £40

Blog Entries
    Could you explain that please?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    This. Some do some don’t apparently.

oldoakknives, no you don't!

There is one older version of the Eufy doorbell which requires the Homebase 2. The wired one I have and most of the wireless ones don't. The version for use with a Homebase is clearly marked in the product description.

Links to the wireless one I mentioned in my earlier post which does not require a Homebase:

Blog Entries
    oldoakknives, no you don't!

There is one older version of the Eufy doorbell which requires the Homebase 2. The wired one I have and most of the wireless ones don't. The version for use with a Homebase is clearly marked in the product description.

Links to the wireless one I mentioned in my earlier post which does not require a Homebase:

Doesn’t that link show the doorbell with the Homebase included? It is in the pictures.

Craftsman
    Doesn’t that link show the doorbell with the Homebase included? It is in the pictures.
    It does, yes

I updated my post after realising this - sorry.

Master
    Got the Ring battery bell and it’s excellent

Blog Entries
    It does, yes

I updated my post after realising this - sorry.
    Thank you for saying so.

Blog Entries
    Can you run the ring doorbell without a subscription?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Can you run the ring doorbell without a subscription?
    Think so. But you don’t get access to the cloud stored stuff

Master
    Just saying:

Hacked home cams used to livestream police raids in swatting attacks
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55499164

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Think so. But you don’t get access to the cloud stored stuff
    Ah… not needed as you can simply screen record anything that you need to keep…. Not that you tend to!

Not to put a damper on thing's but as a postie I can honestly say with all these ring doorbells and such like. I can honestly say I don't actually see the point of them.
    It's as rare as hen's teeth that anyone actually answers one if they aren't in and if they are they here my knock and answer the door before they are even alerted via the phone.
    I for one wouldn't entertain the thought of buying one just on this experience alone.
    Don't get me wrong they are a great idea in principle but from my experience they are either to slow with signal or people just ignore their phones if they even get the alert on them.
    What I have found is that the few people who did answer it was mostly from cheaper models. Mainly cheaper Chinese models.
    Also half the time some are missing from the door as they've taken them off to charge the bloody thing lol.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I've just found a Ring 3 deal from Currys so I've ordered that.
    Thanks again guys.

Another one for eufy, got the wireless doorbell and wireless spotlight, lad set it up and downloaded the app on mine and his moms phone, so three of us have access, battery life is superb and with the hub 16gb of storage and no monthly fees, pictures great as well

Sent from my SM-G988B using TZ-UK mobile app

Anyone got one?
    This link is a year old but probably worth a read (scroll down to 'An influx of ‘unknown’ brands on Amazon' or simply search for 'Victure').

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    This link is a year old but probably worth a read (scroll down to 'An influx of ‘unknown’ brands on Amazon' or simply search for 'Victure').
    Good job I've ordered a Ring then

Master
    Just incase anyone he is looking for the Eufy doorbell, Amazon have them on special offer.

I bought one the other day, impressed with it, easy to set up etc....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Security-Wi.../dp/B081VD7VVZ

To chime in, Eufy is way better than Ring at our house. Had the Eufy installed for 18 days now and it’s not missed a beat (or ring). The ring 2 was rubbish despite adding chime pro.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    To chime in, Eufy is way better than Ring at our house. Had the Eufy installed for 18 days now and it’s not missed a beat (or ring). The ring 2 was rubbish despite adding chime pro.
    No pun intended?

No pun intended?
    Pun, Shirley you cannot be serious?

Craftsman
    My wife has gone all-in on Eufy recently in an aggressive attack on the lack of home security. We now have sensors, hubs, bases, flood light cameras galore which we’ve managed to fit without issue. The thing we’re struggling with currently is the wired 2k doorbell as we don’t have a socket close to the door and would ideally like it hard wired like the current doorbell. It looks like Ring have approached this by providing a transformer to deal with this but can’t see anything similar from Eufy. Has anyone with the wired doorbell managed a work around for this?

Red face

I've recently purchased the Ring Pro (wired) and am very happy. £169 from John Lewis.

You also need to buy a Ring 'chime' box (that plugs into any socket) if you want an internal 'bell'. £19 so not too bad.

Ring is better than Eufy for 'live' 2-way conversation through the App.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    My wife has gone all-in on Eufy recently in an aggressive attack on the lack of home security. We now have sensors, hubs, bases, flood light cameras galore which we’ve managed to fit without issue. The thing we’re struggling with currently is the wired 2k doorbell as we don’t have a socket close to the door and would ideally like it hard wired like the current doorbell. It looks like Ring have approached this by providing a transformer to deal with this but can’t see anything similar from Eufy. Has anyone with the wired doorbell managed a work around for this?
    What was in the box the door bell came in? The 2K Wired Eufy door bell I bought recently included the chime and a transformer in the box.

I installed mine using the existing wiring for my old door bell, bypassing the old doorbell chime (joining the wires from the door bell button to the wires from the existing door bell transformer). As my existing transformer was not powerful enough for the Eufy door bell (needs 19V), I removed the old transformer and spliced in the Eufy transformer to the existing wires to old chime (having already spliced the wires in the chime to bypass the chime as mentioned). The Eufy Door bell needs 19V, my old doorbell transformer had a max of 12V, so I had to replace it with the Eufy one. You may be lucky and your existing doorbell transformer may already support 19V, in which case, the only wiring you will need to deal with is bypassing the old chime. If you are changing transformers, just be careful, as your existing one is probably hard wired into your mains supply, so make sure all power is off to it before messing with it (mine was on the same circuit as the alarm). I replaced my old transformer with a 3 pin socket and then plugged the Eufy transformer into the socket. Whole thing took about an hour and the only additional thing I needed to buy was the 3 pin socket.

Craftsman
    What was in the box the door bell came in? The 2K Wired Eufy door bell I bought recently included the chime and a transformer in the box.

I installed mine using the existing wiring for my old door bell, bypassing the old doorbell chime (joining the wires from the door bell button to the wires from the existing door bell transformer). As my existing transformer was not powerful enough for the Eufy door bell (needs 19V), I removed the old transformer and spliced in the Eufy transformer to the existing wires to old chime (having already spliced the wires in the chime to bypass the chime as mentioned). The Eufy Door bell needs 19V, my old doorbell transformer had a max of 12V, so I had to replace it with the Eufy one. You may be lucky and your existing doorbell transformer may already support 19V, in which case, the only wiring you will need to deal with is bypassing the old chime. If you are changing transformers, just be careful, as your existing one is probably hard wired into your mains supply, so make sure all power is off to it before messing with it (mine was on the same circuit as the alarm). I replaced my old transformer with a 3 pin socket and then plugged the Eufy transformer into the socket. Whole thing took about an hour and the only additional thing I needed to buy was the 3 pin socket.
    Thanks for this, that’s really helpful. We got the doorbell with plug in transformer as well so it seems like that’s a sound way of dealing with it.

I have the wireless Eufy doorbell. I wired it to the existing 30 year old doorbell wires and it works perfectly.

Nest (Google) and Eufy are meant to be the best. I'm ordering the Nest next month. Had a Ring Doorbell 2 and Ring Spotlight Cam but gave them to my Mum, too slow, even with the Chime Pro.

I got a Google Nest Hello recently and I'm really pleased with it. It offers features that other systems don't from what I can see.

However, it is hard wired only and needs a power supply with a higher voltage than most existing doorbells. It also won't alert Alexa devices and you cannot talk to people at the door using Alexa devices. If you're using Google smart home stuff both of these work really well though. Just worth keeping in mind.

My Gen 1 Ring doorbell has just died after spluttering its way through the last couple of years with unreliable lacklustre performance throughout.

On the back of this thread, I have just installed a Eufy battery powered doorbell with a HomeBase 2 and although it is very early days, so far it absolutely blows the old Ring Doorbell out of the water in every respect. It records locally so does not need a subscription to see the video clips (unlike Ring) and the wifi signal strength is so much better too.

My old Ring Doorbell used to have such a huge delay on it that the person at the door was invariably leaving by the time we were notified they were there and that was using their 'wifi extender'/chime thing too so as to improve its performance.

Comparing any old-generation battery powered connected device, to a current generation hard-wired device, is going to see a significant performance improvement. That has nothing to do with the capabilities of the product or company though. You'd probably see similar benefits if you replaced the Gen 1 Ring with a new hard-wired Ring.

Talking

Video doorbell.

My opinion is that I don't need one and I don't want one.

1. Expensive and another thing to go wrong
    2. ?? Postie rings and I get to tell him to put the parcel round the back in the storage bin.... He already does this and it is easy to set-up recurring instructions for all couriers. Weatherproof storage bin cost me £18.
    3. ?? Visitor rings and I talk to them from the kitchen....... What? I'm going to answer the door.
    3.5 Visitor rings and I'm not in......... Well I'm not in and they go away.
    4. Motion sensor shows someone snooping on my porch....... What? They are either going to steal something or not, a doorbell plus camera is no help. If you need CCTV, then buy CCTV.
    5. Where I live it will not get stolen, but I bet they do
    6. Hackability by the Chinese
    8. £134 for a door bell ? You lot are mad. :) :) :) You could get a whole house Simplysafe CCTV systtem for this.

Classic case of technology racing ahead of the Need for technology. When did we need someone to invent this? BAlls !
    Last edited by The Doc; 24th March 2021 at 13:23.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Comparing any old-generation battery powered connected device, to a current generation hard-wired device, is going to see a significant performance improvement. That has nothing to do with the capabilities of the product or company though. You'd probably see similar benefits if you replaced the Gen 1 Ring with a new hard-wired Ring.
    I have multiple security cameras round my property one is by the front door so anyone nearby is easily seen.
    We have all seen the adverts & criminals will easily work out if you are in or out so answering the door bell from holiday is asking for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Obviously tech has moved on in the 2 years we have owned the doorbell and I am sure people can fully understand that, but the old and the new we have/did have are both battery powered, so I am not comparing battery with hard-wired.

My old Ring was crap from the day it was delivered and now will not charge as a result of the last firmware update, which I cannot roll back. The Ring tech support just went through the usual motions of resetting it and then told me to buy a new one, so sent me a discount code for another Ring. Despite regular firmware updates which added more functionality, the product was always unreliable and the support provided, despite being pleasant and 'helpful' always concluded that the fault was with my poor wifi, poor broadband speeds, or similar, despite the fact that everything else works absolutely fine and the Ring doorbell was only 1m away from the Ring Chime with no walls between.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    Video doorbell.

My opinion is that I don't need one and I don't want one.

1. Expensive and another thing to go wrong
    2. ?? Postie rings and I get to tell him to put the parcel round the back in the storage bin.... He already does this and it is easy to set-up recurring instructions for all couriers. Weatherproof storage bin cost me £18.
    3. ?? Visitor rings and I talk to them from the kitchen....... What? I'm going to answer the door.
    3.5 Visitor rings and I'm not in......... Well I'm not in and they go away.
    4. Motion sensor shows someone snooping on my porch....... What? They are either going to steal something or not, a doorbell plus camera is no help. If you need CCTV, then buy CCTV.
    5. Where I live it will not get stolen, but I bet they do
    6. Hackability by the Chinese
    8. £134 for a door bell ? You lot are mad. :) :) :) You could get a whole house Simplysafe CCTV systtem for this.

Classic case of technology racing ahead of the Need for technology. When did we need someone to invent this? BAlls !
    Its just the latest tech, I’d assume you’d have said the same when someone invented those electric ding dong things years ago....I mean what’s wrong with a door knocker

Master
    I’ve just got round to installing an Ener-J Pro bell and chime. Bought it a while back as I also had some smart bulbs around the house from the same company.
    So far, I’m quite pleased. Pretty inexpensive, but is working well and Alexa is alerting me when it’s pressed almost instantly along with the phone alert.

I did have to move one of my wireless extenders closer to the font door as the signal back to my router was only showing 30% from the bell, but it’s now 75%.

Video and audio is certainly acceptable to me. It’s a wide angle which covers my whole driveway... and the PIR set to medium sensitivity is alerting me successfully when there’s activity in my drive.

As my wired CCTV recently gave up the ghost I installed a Eufy doorbell, camera and spotlight. Have to say I’m very pleased. Easy to install, no wires and worked first time with no issues. Clear 1080 quality CCTV installed in less than an hour.

Craftsman
    Thread revival, I'm considering picking up the Eufy video doorbell and floodlight cameras. Of those who recommended Eufy products earlier in this thread, are you still happy with them?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk