closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arise Sir Lewis?

Master

Arise Sir Lewis?

My wife, being an avid reader of the Mail online made me aware of this breaking story

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-concerns.html

Joins a long list of tax exiles to be honoured. I’m sure he won’t let the award go to his head though

Arise Sir Lewis?

Andy, pass the tissues.

Arise Sir Lewis?

He’ seems to have become quite a privileged man for some reason?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Andy, pass the tissues.
    I take it you don't mean to wipe away the tears...

Is it Knight of the British Empire? If so I am sure he will refuse it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    He’ seems to have become quite a privileged man for some reason?
    I guess being a multi-millionaire multiple F1 champion will do that? 🤔

I heard a rumour that Bill Gates was a bit rich and that the pope might be a catholic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frogspawn View Post
    Is it Knight of the British Empire? If so I am sure he will refuse it.
    He’s on record as saying he wouldn’t turn down a knighthood. Apparently.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    He’s on record as saying he wouldn’t turn down a knighthood. Apparently.
    I seen him in an interview say something like it would be an honour, cant remember the exact words.

Lewis Hamilton speaks out on Knighthood and declares 'I am a massive royal fan.'

The former McLaren driver has reacted to the news he could become Sir Lewis Hamilton in the New Year.

He said: "I would never ever turn down the Royal family. I grew up in the UK and am a massive fan of them."It is very surreal, when you grew up watching the news like everyone else, hearing your name in the House of Lords or the House of Commons or in Parliament".

"It is very very surreal to hear that with all the things going on in the world that they have a moment and acknowledge the work that I have done."

"As far as I am aware, there is a lot of talk and I have not really thought a lot about it, but it would be an incredible honour."

"There is no greater honour that your country recognising you and honouring you with such an award."

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...One-Bahrain-GP

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Lewis Hamilton speaks out on Knighthood and declares 'I am a massive royal fan.'

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...One-Bahrain-GP

R
    Grovelling bastard.

Well deserved recognition of his sporting achievement(s), though surprised he would want to accept it based on his dislike of British history and empire.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Well deserved recognition of his sporting achievement(s), though surprised he would want to accept it based on his dislike of British history and empire.
    That would be somewhat hypocritical of him.

Master
    Just another poor decision by our current Prime Minister so no surprise at all. The vast majority of honours should go to normal people doing extraordinary service for their communities/the country, not rich sportsman, business people and Tory donors/supporters.

Master
    Sportsmen and women have always got knighthoods and the like, so no reason why Lewis shouldn’t also get one too given his unparalleled achievements.

Labour part donors / supporters also seem to get them too

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Joins a long list of tax exiles to be honoured. I’m sure he won’t let the award go to his head though
    Not saying he doesn't pull a few legal tricks to mitigate his tax bill, but he pays something like Ł5m a year in UK tax & is in the top 5000 UK tax payers, as well as paying tax in other countries.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

He gets paid well for what he does well.
    The government gets paid well for what the do abysmally.
    The NHS staff get (and not even that any more) a clap on a Thursday night.
    Who deserves recognition the most?

Grand Master
    Used to dislike him due to his attitude and the way he acted, but he was young, he seems to have matured the last couple of years and now that he is an undisputed record holder in a well regarded sport, it does seem like the achievements he has made deserve this level of reward more than most!

To be honest though, as long as David Beckham never gets one i'll be happy!

Confirmed, and rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Not saying he doesn't pull a few legal tricks to mitigate his tax bill, but he pays something like Ł5m a year in UK tax & is in the top 5000 UK tax payers, as well as paying tax in other countries.

You shouldn’t let facts get in the way of peoples bigotry. A great ambassador and role model for F1 and the UK in general, plus I suppose some might have considered it rude if he had refused it. Boy done good.

That said, I would rather they had waited until his F1 career had finished before offering him his gong, but that could be another 10 years from now.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I think he fully deserves it. His name certainly doesn't look out of place in the List of sporting knights and dames

While we're here, congratulations also to Sir Clive Lloyd.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    You shouldn’t let facts get in the way of peoples bigotry. A great ambassador and role model for F1 and the UK in general, plus I suppose some might have considered it rude if he had refused it. Boy done good.

That said, I would rather they had waited until his F1 career had finished before offering him his gong, but that could be another 10 years from now.
    I reckon if Lewis wins the world championship again next year, he will retire. He will have then won everything there is to win.
    His car is odds on favourite to be the best car again next year, but 2022 brings massive changes and it could very well herald in a new champion.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I think he fully deserves it. His name certainly doesn't look out of place in the List of sporting knights and dames
    But he won't be on that list, will he? Because of his tax dodging, Bozo is putting him on the "Diplomatic and Overseas List".

Great Uncle Bulgaria will be overjoyed.

Craftsman
    A lot of very salty TZers it would seem.

Well deserved.

^^^ I hope that gets you a ban.

Edit - glad to see that beyond-the-limits vulgar post has been removed.

I'm also going to add that for all those who knock LH for his tax avoidance (note avoidance, not evasion) then you need to point your guns at those who form the legislation, not those that take legal advantage of their situation. You also need to point your guns at yourselves if you manipulate your own finances to the same means.

I've maximised my pension contributions and also buy shares in the company I work for with the government only receiving tax on what's left of my salary after those deductions - am I being immoral? After all, I could be paying even more tax...

Get a grip.
    Last edited by CardShark; 31st December 2020 at 12:06.

Good, and well-deserved. So much hate on here, I really don't get it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    +1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Just saying......
    I am sure you have achieved more in your life...

If anyone in the sporting world actually deserves one then IMO non more deserving than LH for his phenomenal achievements, Phil Taylor should have one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post

Edit - glad to see that beyond-the-limits vulgar post has been removed.

I'm also going to add that for all those who knock LH for his tax avoidance (note avoidance, not evasion) then you need to point your guns at those who form the legislation, not those that take legal advantage of their situation. You also need to point your guns at yourselves if you manipulate your own finances to the same means.

I've maximised my pension contributions and also buy shares in the company I work for with the government only receiving tax on what's left of my salary after those deductions - am I being immoral? After all, I could be paying even more tax...

Get a grip.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Just another poor decision by our current Prime Minister so no surprise at all. The vast majority of honours should go to normal people doing extraordinary service for their communities/the country, not rich sportsman, business people and Tory donors/supporters.
    Thing is, he was an ordinary person and has done extraordinary things which reflect on his country.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Thing is, he was an ordinary person and has done extraordinary things which reflect on his country.
    To be clear, my issue is with the system, rather than any specific individual. I don't begrudge Lewis Hamilton his personal success or the consequential wealth, adolation and accolades. I just think that in this year, more than most, the focus should have moved away from giving unnecessary gongs to highly paid sportsmen and 'business' people for 'doing their day job' and moved to recognise the ordinary people going above and beyond in doing unbelievable work for modest reward, whether that be community volunteers, health care workers, teachers, scientists, emergency workers etc.

Personally I don't see that knighting Lewis Hamilton, or similar individuals, advances the UK in the eyes of the world or means much to our average citizen, whereas recognising our more common day to day heroes would, in my opinion, say so much more. We owe them a genuine debt of gratitude and it would be nice to celebrate that.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 31st December 2020 at 16:49.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Agreed wholeheartedly.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Master
    So much hate on so many things tbh. In 1914 opposing forces laid down their arms and played football together on Xmas Day, the "usual suspects" on TZ can't even give it a rest for one day judging by the Xmas Day posts.

Splashing honours about like candy bars simply devalues the honour.
    There are more deserving folks living within a few doors of most of us who never will get a look in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    There are more deserving folks living within a few doors of most of us who never will get a look in.
    People get honours/recognition when at the top of their game, whether Tennis, Cycling, Army, Civil Service, Acting etc. etc.

Sure I accept that a lot of normal people do extraordinary things, but you can't give honours to all nurses, all doctors, all teachers, now that really would devalue the system.

As for Hamilton, I think he certainly deserves the Knighthood.

Agree 100%

Wonder if he’ll get a statue as well

LH is an all time great F1 driver, one of the greatest sportspeople we have ever had and a wonderful spokesperson for racial equality. He absolutely deserves a Knighthood IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post

If you believe that someone local is deserving of an honour, then you can nominate them.

Here the link. https://www.gov.uk/honours

A much better use of your time then moaning about another people getting a gong you don’t agree with and trotting out the same boring tropes.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

My problem with the system is that a huge number appear to be given to people for doing the job they are paid to do, and that just seems wrong to me. I’d really like them to be for exceptional or voluntary activities.

E.g, the CEO of “XYZ media” for services to television or the Principal and CEO of “ABC College” for services to education (and that’s just picking more or less at random from the list - I ignored all then political ones!)

Master
    If LH is due one what about Johnathan Rea? 6 times world superbike champ, most race wins, runner up in SPOTY, but only uses 2 wheels, he has an MBE already, maybe that's as far as bikers get?

Arise Sir Lewis?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    If LH is due one what about Johnathan Rea? 6 times world superbike champ, most race wins, runner up in SPOTY, but only uses 2 wheels, he has an MBE already, maybe that's as far as bikers get?
    Plus super bikes/ Moto gp is much more of a level playing field, where skill matters more. Put a decent driver in the fastest (second a lap quicker) F1 car and guess who will win? Not necessarily the best driver. Lewis is a good driver, the best ever? Not sure that’s true, you need to go back a good few years in F1 before you find the greatest driver we’ve ever seen or ever will. Balls of steel for sure
    Last edited by Anygreg; 31st December 2020 at 17:59.

There's no doubt he's talented; the problem is he's a biker...

Realistically - because everyone who tunes in/reads about SPOTY............... has never heard of him.

WSB/BSB doesn't figure.

John McGuinness got an MBE, but the TT is prob more high profile in UK.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    My problem with the system is that a huge number appear to be given to people for doing the job they are paid to do, and that just seems wrong to me. I’d really like them to be for exceptional or voluntary activities.

E.g, the CEO of “XYZ media” for services to television or the Principal and CEO of “ABC College” for services to education (and that’s just picking more or less at random from the list - I ignored all then political ones!)
    Indeed - Not to mention senior military officers and civil servants...

I, as I think others have said in the past, that it might have been more appropriate to wait until Hamilton retired before giving him a Knighthood.

He's undoubtedly one of the best F1 drivers of all time, but he's still doing it. Jackie Stewart fell into the same category and unquestionably did more for the sport, as well as outside it, but was only knighted in later life.

Deserved? I think so. Appropriately timed? I don't think so.

M

M
    Last edited by snowman; 1st January 2021 at 17:24.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The civil and military knighthoods under discussion are a tradition and a perk of the job, these people are not identified for a knighthood, it is an automatic privilege and not discretionary. Hence, Sir Kier Starmer, Sir Simon Stevens etc.
    Last edited by mondie; 1st January 2021 at 17:40.

Why not nominate him?

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...t-jonathon-rea

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Agreed. Foggy got an MBE as well.

Friedrich Nietzsche