closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Megaquartz

Omega Megaquartz

This is a "talk me out of it" or if not, a "don't get your pants pulled down" post...

The demise of my bicycle (pictured elsewhere) is making me consider selling something I don't use often (a watch) to fund something I use every day (a bicycle). The current contender is my Megaquartz...

This isn't a sales post (please don't PM - I gave up selling remotely years ago) but as this model isn't exactly commonplace, I don't know what to ask.

Condition is good, probably very good really considering its age, and the all-important dial appears to be suffering no deterioration:

It all functions as expected and I suspect I'll find it hard to replace. But it isn't doing much in the watch box, and having been out of the market for nearly 2 decades, I've been jolted by the price of decent bicycles.

I know there are some owners and knowledgeable types here, any advice much appreciated

TT

I bought my serviced Marine Chronometer here, but I'm afraid that I don't know what premium the stardust dial might add.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5125517

I'd absolutely love one, I see that you are not into distance selling but I do have a packet of six 'M&S Collection' mince pies with a good best before date that I could offer in trade.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Thank you for the info, and the tempting proposition

These are such a stunning and unique watch, if you regret it you'll struggle to replace it.....don't do it!!!

Disclaimer: if I was in the position to buy I would be advising you to move it on 
    Last edited by Tetlee; 30th December 2020 at 08:53.

Craftsman
    This one looks like it’s in lovely order

I sold one about 18 months ago and 2k was the number

There is one on eBay for 3k but I doubt it will go for that

The key information is when it was last serviced, as it will be 1k for a service and only can be done at STS I believe

Cheers

Thank you, that is very useful. It has some (presumably) servicing notes on the inside of the case back (in Japanese) from before I purchased it, but no other documentation.

I just took this :

I think I may be mad. But at the moment I can't get over the fact that I still have far too many watches and exactly no bicycles.

So it has just gone on the local auction site priced at a little below your figure. (no link, domestic sale only). If it doesn't sell, I will take it as A Sign and reconsider!

TT

Master
    Servicing these has become nigh on impossible outside of Bienne. I believe STS recently stopped doing them sadly. I would move something like that sooner rather than later for this reason. They can develop problems, like hummers the date wheels in particular are fragile and a failure of any other sort could lead to a large bill. Even though the sparkle dial is sight to behold, I’d sell and not look back.
    Last edited by Padders; 30th December 2020 at 10:30.

I can throw in a box of Sainsbury's Taste The Difference brandy infused?

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Lovely watch and something I would also sell sooner rather than later. As well as the comment above about servicing etc they are also ticking time bombs in respects of the module going kaput. It’s not something that happens through use but is a ‘random’ event based on time since manufacture. One day you can have a lovely watch,the next day an expensive paperweight.
    I would go for the mince pie offer....especially now the deal has been sweetened!

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Servicing these has become nigh on impossible outside of Bienne. I believe STS recently stopped doing them sadly. I would move something like that sooner rather than later for this reason. They can develop problems, like hummers the date wheels in particular are fragile and a failure of any other sort could lead to a large bill. Even though the sparkle dial is sight to behold, I’d sell and not look back.
    If even STS have stopped working on these now and with no sure service history then I would in that case agree to get it shifted. You wouldn't want to face issues that become a nightmare to get repaired.

That's a real shame, and another of my most desired watches off the list of possible future buys.

Glad I got my 32KHz Megaquartz fully serviced with STS last year(as stated above, very expensive and don't think I had much change from £1k), otherwise I'd be moving that on with this news.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Don't listen to him. I have a have a half-eaten, home-made Christmas pudding and can throw in some Stollen.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    If even STS have stopped working on these now and with no sure service history then I would in that case agree to get it shifted. You wouldn't want to face issues that become a nightmare to get repaired.

That's a real shame, and another of my most desired watches off the list of possible future buys.

Glad I got my 32KHz Megaquartz fully serviced with STS last year(as stated above, very expensive and don't think I had much change from £1k), otherwise I'd be moving that on with this news.
    It must be very recently if STS have stopped servicing them. I got mine back after the first lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Don't listen to him. I have a have a half-eaten, home-made Christmas pudding and can throw in some Stollen.
    Nothing short of a Fortnum's Christmas hamper can sway me

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    It must be very recently if STS have stopped servicing them. I got mine back after the first lockdown.
    Certainly some wise comments re servicing. I think this is definitely an issue (especially in the UK if STS will no longer oblige, but I am not sure if Omega Japan or Bienne have stopped) to be considered for all older quartz.

In my experience, quartz watches most often die due to water ingress, battery leakage, dust and dirt getting inside, or the classic screwdriver-in-the-coil when changing batteries. Apart from those pitfalls, due to the low torque they do tend to go on without the needy attention of mechanicals.

Re "modules" (referring to the IC) I've had many electronic devices fail, but it's usually the supporting electrolytic capacitors, power supply, fans, or cracks in the modern miniature circuit board traces. ICs are susceptible to excess charge, including static electricity, and severe EMP, but otherwise the actual solid state part is quite hard to kill.

All of the above are either not valid for a quartz movement or avoidable with a little care. These Megaquartzes are not hummers either, hence I'm not sure if the comment about hummers' date discs is applicable?

Mostly though, I really wish Omega would re-release this, perhaps with one of the recent ETA thermoline movements.

Even if the original movement gives out, it's such a superb case/dial/bracelet design that a replacement option would be welcome.

I think Mr Curta's MC is my old watch. STS serviced the analogue/mechanical part of it but from what I understand the quartz module is the bit that goes kaput and there's nothing you can do about it other than replace if it you can and keep your fingers crossed. STS had a couple of spare modules back in 2015 or 2016 but I would imagine they're now gone.

I spoke to Simon Freese about it all after I'd sold mine (I had a lovely Stardust too) but he didn't think there was anything that could be done to fix a broken module. I think it may be possible to modify the watch to fit a modern quartz movement but it defeats the purpose of it somewhat. I'd love an MC again, I really regret selling mine.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Lovely watch and something I would also sell sooner rather than later. As well as the comment above about servicing etc they are also ticking time bombs in respects of the module going kaput. It’s not something that happens through use but is a ‘random’ event based on time since manufacture. One day you can have a lovely watch,the next day an expensive paperweight.
    I would go for the mince pie offer....especially now the deal has been sweetened!
    All the above is so true, one day a £3k watch in your collection the next day a headache, this happened to me two weeks ago but fortunately the watch in question is valued a lot less than £3k but still a nice vintage watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Certainly some wise comments re servicing. I think this is definitely an issue (especially in the UK if STS will no longer oblige, but I am not sure if Omega Japan or Bienne have stopped) to be considered for all older quartz.

In my experience, quartz watches most often die due to water ingress, battery leakage, dust and dirt getting inside, or the classic screwdriver-in-the-coil when changing batteries. Apart from those pitfalls, due to the low torque they do tend to go on without the needy attention of mechanicals.

Re "modules" (referring to the IC) I've had many electronic devices fail, but it's usually the supporting electrolytic capacitors, power supply, fans, or cracks in the modern miniature circuit board traces. ICs are susceptible to excess charge, including static electricity, and severe EMP, but otherwise the actual solid state part is quite hard to kill.

All of the above are either not valid for a quartz movement or avoidable with a little care. These Megaquartzes are not hummers either, hence I'm not sure if the comment about hummers' date discs is applicable?

Mostly though, I really wish Omega would re-release this, perhaps with one of the recent ETA thermoline movements.

Even if the original movement gives out, it's such a superb case/dial/bracelet design that a replacement option would be welcome.
    I seem to recall the module gives up due to glue inside failing or something like that.

You're right about a re-release, that would be superb, especially if they could keep them the same size as the originals and not think they could improve the design. I suspect if the movements weren't ticking (sorry) timebombs these watches would be massively valuable but as they aren't they're in the £2k +/- a bit region.

Master
    I have had my fingers burnt with the Megaquartz and it is now sitting somewhere doing nothing. A new module would cost an arm but a service is required which cost a leg. At the end it is more than what the watch is worth.

Omega also made "standard" 32Khz quartz watches (as opposed to 2.4Mhz) which they also branded Megaquartz, confusingly. These were made in much larger numbers, and donor movements are far easier to find. But equally, the watches themselves are worth less so it may not be worth it.

I think the 2.4Mhz ones are horologically interesting, not to mention design wise. But they are in their 5th decade, so like most of us, health cannot be forever guaranteed!

Master
    Very true. But to be fair a (good) stardust dial will always be a pretty thing.

I’ve always promised myself a Marine Chronometer but it’s sad to hear about the servicing if that is true.

I love most Omegas from that era, but this one always baffles me.

Still, there are plenty on Chrono24 in the 3k+ range and plenty here expressing approval of the design, so I'm sure you should get a good price if you do sell it.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 1st January 2021 at 11:07.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I don't have any recent experience of any difficulties with servicing (mine was last serviced by STS some 10 years ago) and while disappointing, if true that there are now problems, it was also inevitable unless the individual components (electrical and mechanical) can be reproduced...and I don't know enough about either to know whether that is/would be possible.

That said, I bought mine more as an historically significant and interesting piece than one to regularly wear, and I know that it was running perfectly when I last put a battery in it and so I have no concerns about whether it will continue to be what it is.

Master
    I serviced mine in STS year and a half ago, because Omega doesn’t service them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    That said, I bought mine more as an historically significant and interesting piece than one to regularly wear, and I know that it was running perfectly when I last put a battery in it and so I have no concerns about whether it will continue to be what it is.
    The point is that the module can go at any time....the older the module the more likely it is to happen.

The point is that the module can go at any time....the older the module the more likely it is to happen.
    Exactly what part of the module are you referring to?

Exactly what part of the module are you referring to?
    The quartz module.

The quartz module.
    We all age with time and will, eventually, stop working

This is pretty much my view of the MC although I do find it immensely comfortable to wear and it's always an interesting talking point.

If it's good enough for the British Museum...

This is pretty much my view of the MC although I do find it immensely comfortable to wear and it's always an interesting talking point.

If it's good enough for the British Museum...
    They are relatively rare, historically significant, good looking and surprisingly comfortable; what's not to like?

Mine also came in an apparently rare box

Oh, that's very nice!

Master
    Blog Entries
    They are relatively rare, historically significant, good looking and surprisingly comfortable; what's not to like?

That box is fantastic. I’ve never seen one & will be much rarer than the watch itself

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I think Mr Curta's MC is my old watch. STS serviced the analogue/mechanical part of it but from what I understand the quartz module is the bit that goes kaput and there's nothing you can do about it other than replace if it you can and keep your fingers crossed. STS had a couple of spare modules back in 2015 or 2016 but I would imagine they're now gone.

I spoke to Simon Freese about it all after I'd sold mine (I had a lovely Stardust too) but he didn't think there was anything that could be done to fix a broken module. I think it may be possible to modify the watch to fit a modern quartz movement but it defeats the purpose of it somewhat. I'd love an MC again, I really regret selling mine.
    I regret selling it on Simon!

Wonderful watches. Way cooler than anything Rolex have ever made IMHO.

It has found an appreciative home.

Sigh, it is my old Marine Chronometer. I do miss it!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Sigh, it is my old Marine Chronometer. I do miss it!

The Constellation is great, but the MC takes it to a different level.

It ranks alongside the Sub, GMT-Master, Glycine Airman, Seadweller, Blancpain FF in my eyes as 'threshold timepieces' .

I would have loved one, but sounds like they are now a little bit of an unknown cost.

Morning Gents

I have directly checked with STS today and Marine chronometers etc are still fine for service.

Sadly the ' Albatross ' is no longer supported,

Hopefully this answers your concerns..

Best Neil

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    Morning Gents

I have directly checked with STS today and Marine chronometers etc are still fine for service.

Best Neil
    Yep, I've just spoken to Leona Coe about my OMC today and STS are still servicing them & currently hold all the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Yep, I've just spoken to Leona Coe about my OMC today and STS are still servicing them & currently hold all the parts.
    That's good news, I suspect Padder's might have been getting mixed up with the Beta21/Electroquartz which I remember somebody over on Omega Forums recently cmmented that STS/Swisstec no longer service. I guess parts for those are even thinner on the ground.

Craftsman
    That's good news, I suspect Padder's might have been getting mixed up with the Beta21/Electroquartz which I remember somebody over on Omega Forums recently cmmented that STS/Swisstec no longer service. I guess parts for those are even thinner on the ground.
    Out of interest, I did see that strikes and spares outfit do a replacement module for the Beta21

http://www.strikesandspares.de/werkzuordnung.htm

Master
    Absolutely. I was carrying across that into these, which are clearly not such a precarious proposition and likely nicer on the wrist too, the beta 21 derived stuff always felt like a brick to wear. Apologies for any unnecssary concern caused.

I much prefer the look of the startdust MQ to the MC personally.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    Morning Gents

Best Neil
    So does it mean the Albatross is not a viable option for the future?

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    So does it mean the Albatross is not a viable option for the future?
    I think service parts (and so official servicing) for the Albatross have been virtually non-existent for some time...