closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A telling situation regarding Rolex and Omega

Craftsman

A telling situation regarding Rolex and Omega

Spoiler alert - yes this does contain another post about availability of a certain watch brand....

Revisited an AD whom I didn’t have a good interaction previously. My aim for the day was to visit an Omega AD but as Rolex was close by I thought I’d drop in.

Overheard a conversation with a Middle Eastern couple enquiring about a 126710 BLNR and a SA politely asking if they had any purchase history, (they had none) after which he politely took their details down, adding that there are no waitlists, just preferred clients.

I decided to leave at this point. However another SA greeted me and I decided to stay. I asked availability of an OP but not one of those very bright colours lol. Left feeling that I may land one but no timescale. I didn’t follow the outcome of the couple. The SA hastily left to the staff area where I didn’t see him for the rest of the visit.

My subsequent visit to Omega, couldn’t have been more different. The SA literally leapt out his seat to greet me. Was very helpful with my interest in a De Ville which of course was on display in the window. Thanks to the SA I left with some good knowledge of the range.

I’m usually easy prey in an AD. However after one or two recent impulsive purchases, I’m going to take some time to think it over. It was a very encouraging step towards my first Omega

Master
    Not really telling, just business as usual. It would be the same scenario played out in any AD

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeah shocking stuff.

I suspect Rolex will see this thread, get flustered and prob open the books.

Master
    Supply vs. Demand.

When supply is higher than demand they need to impress you so that you demand the product. Rolex is a different case as we all know.

I’ve had a warmer welcome in a Jacob & Co store than a regular Rolex one. It’s just how they operate.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Whilst I understand supply and demand, I don't think that should mean that they feel they can be flippant with clients/potential clients.

I recently bought a Tudor from the Tudor Boutique and it was a lovely experience, they were genuinely interested in what I was looking for, allowed me to take all the time I needed to decide on what I wanted and they made a real effort to get to know me.

Fast forward a week or so and an opportunity arose for me to purchase a Datejust 41 from a Rolex AD and whilst I understand they would have had no problem selling it to a dozen others, the attitude of the person I dealt with was not very good. Not friendly, giving one word answers, not making an effort to build up rapport and it just left me feeling like I'd bought a packet of crisps from the supermarket rather than a high end Swiss watch. This was my first Rolex purchase and it left me completely underwhelmed. Whilst I don't want to tar all Rolex AD's with the same brush, they do seem to be acting oddly with paying clients.

Do I want other Rolex models? Yes.
    Will I continue to build up my spend with this particular AD? probably not given the experience.
    Will I buy watches I don't want to ensure I get what I do want? No (Yes, I know this won't matter a jot to Rolex or the AD).

Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
    Whilst I understand supply and demand, I don't think that should mean that they feel they can be flippant with clients/potential clients.

I recently bought a Tudor from the Tudor Boutique and it was a lovely experience, they were genuinely interested in what I was looking for, allowed me to take all the time I needed to decide on what I wanted and they made a real effort to get to know me.

Fast forward a week or so and an opportunity arose for me to purchase a Datejust 41 from a Rolex AD and whilst I understand they would have had no problem selling it to a dozen others, the attitude of the person I dealt with was not very good. Not friendly, giving one word answers, not making an effort to build up rapport and it just left me feeling like I'd bought a packet of crisps from the supermarket rather than a high end Swiss watch. This was my first Rolex purchase and it left me completely underwhelmed. Whilst I don't want to tar all Rolex AD's with the same brush, they do seem to be acting oddly with paying clients.

Will I continue to build up my spend with this particular AD? probably not given the experience.
    Will I buy watches I don't want to ensure I get what I do want? No (Yes, I know this won't matter a jot to Rolex or the AD).
    Begs the question though - why not leave and take your business to a different Rolex AD rather then spend thousands with them?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Begs the question though - why not leave and take your business to a different Rolex AD rather then spend thousands with them?
    Good question and the answer is that it was a watch that I wanted and wasn't sure I'd get another chance to acquire one new within a reasonable time frame.

Of course, I could have walked out and so comments are not meant to suggest that I didn't have a choice but more that because of the way they acted, they will most likely not get any more of my future spend on watches.

It pays to be nice, that's the short version of my long winded post!

Master
    Not all Rolex Ad’s are cut from the same cloth; my usual AD when my wife wanted to buy me an oyster flex and and new pink OP for herself just said well there is a waiting list for these and I said I appreciate that but you have 3 stores nationally can you ask within your group or order in from Rolex. Just we will see when we can get you one maybe next year if you are lucky. This is the AD who wanted my life bio; which I politely declined. I only use them to buy something if it’s in stock and that’s it for now.

I than went on the Rolex website and rang give or take 20 Ad’s all gave me the usual really desirable piece, expression of interest and it was a sports professional model. Fast forward to one store who went above and beyond; this AD was polite friendly and said let me check within our stores. Rang me back and said no they had not got one but had rang Rolex and found one left within the Uk and had ordered it in for me and would let me know when it arrived. Had not purchased anything from them prior.

Rang me to ask for wrist measurements so they could order the blades in and discussed the new op pop models as my wife was after a pink one. Informed they had one and if I wanted it it was mine. I asked if they wanted me to send a deposit. The reply was no we had spoken and that was good enough. Got a phone call and a few days later the wife and I went and purchased them.

No aggro just polite and professional took an interest in my children and family. Just polite and friendly AD.

As already said, business as usual.

Maybe think about it from their view as an exercise. Imagine turning down let’s say 20 customers a day for months/years now. Then imagine you are the next customer walking in enquiring for a sports model. Can’t imagine much enthusiasm for another one of those same talks, would take a proper actor to appear genuinely interested.

Sure it’s their job however they are trained to sell, they can’t like turning so many people down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    Not all Rolex Ad’s are cut from the same cloth; my usual AD when my wife wanted to buy me an oyster flex and and new pink OP for herself just said well there is a waiting list for these and I said I appreciate that but you have 3 stores nationally can you ask within your group or order in from Rolex. Just we will see when we can get you one maybe next year if you are lucky. This is the AD who wanted my life bio; which I politely declined. I only use them to buy something if it’s in stock and that’s it for now.

I than went on the Rolex website and rang give or take 20 Ad’s all gave me the usual really desirable piece, expression of interest and it was a sports professional model. Fast forward to one store who went above and beyond; this AD was polite friendly and said let me check within our stores. Rang me back and said no they had not got one but had rang Rolex and found one left within the Uk and had ordered it in for me and would let me know when it arrived. Had not purchased anything from them prior.

Rang me to ask for wrist measurements so they could order the blades in and discussed the new op pop models as my wife was after a pink one. Informed they had one and if I wanted it it was mine. I asked if they wanted me to send a deposit. The reply was no we had spoken and that was good enough. Got a phone call and a few days later the wife and I went and purchased them.

No aggro just polite and professional took an interest in my children and family. Just polite and friendly AD.
    This is my experience with my local AD also. Nice people, who are not transactional and seem to genuinely enjoy engaging with and helping their customers.

In my experience, this is the difference between national chains and independent retailers.

Master
    'Not a waiting list, but preferred clients' - what a way to run a business!! I was going to say open for abuse and discrimination, but of course, that's exactly what they intend!

Now I would be a long way down their list of preferred clients anyway (even if I could afford a Rolex which I can't), but if I'd heard that, I'd never go near that shop again.

Journeyman
    I had a really good experience. Recently bought an OP from the new Rolex boutique in Liverpool Streey. Emailed an enquiry, they replied that it’s wasn’t in stock but that they had one coming in the following week. In the shop the staff were all really helpful.

Maybe I got lucky but seems like the opposite of the OP

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    This is my experience with my local AD also. Nice people, who are not transactional and seem to genuinely enjoy engaging with and helping their customers.

In my experience, this is the difference between national chains and independent retailers.

Yes, I agree. Independent stores are usually the best to deal with. In fact, I’ve never bought from a chain. An independent store in a smaller city or town, preferably away from London, is probably the best bet. And, when it’s possible again, better to visit the shop rather than phone. Mind you, it’s still annoyingly hard to get anything interesting....

I've always dealt with an independent Rolex AD in my (small) local town. I've had great experiences over 12 years or so and they have been very good at finding me a good selection of Rolex and Omega watches. I've never bought a new Rolex from chain despite living close to places like the Trafford Centre and have no intention of starting now. At the higher end of things, I've also had a brilliant time in Boodles (Chester and Manchester) where I hope to buy a Patek at some point next year.

I popped into Maplin & Webb Chester and managed to get on the waiting list for a GMT Master. Whether I actually ever get a call without a buying history is another kettle of fish however...

I was offered a Datejust 41mm Rhodium with a 18k Bezel I could have took on the day but it wouldn't be a keeper for me (unlike the GMT) and I suspect I would lose a fair bit come resale time if a GMT did become available.

Blog Entries

You had a bad experience with a sales assistant, not unheard of in the retail sector unfortunately. My last visits to a Rolex AD were exactly the opposite. Took the other half's Datejust in for a service, and had a very nice chat with the sales assistant about watches and Rolex in general. She remembered I had collected a 16610 I had serviced a couple weeks before and I said I was waiting for a Pepsi. She said they were still very few and far between but would see what she could do. Talked about the new models and the (then) just released new Submariner and said I would definitely be interested in one if it was available. Although she thought there was a high demand she said she would write down my interest which she did. Was a very pleasant visit.
    Fast forward 2 weeks and I had a call out of the blue from the same sales assistant saying they had a black Sub date and did I still want one. Yes I did and went the next day to pick it up. Again all the sales assistants I saw were cheerful and helpful. I think it just depends on the people involved same as any other sector.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    'Not a waiting list, but preferred clients' - what a way to run a business!! I was going to say open for abuse and discrimination, but of course, that's exactly what they intend!

Now I would be a long way down their list of preferred clients anyway (even if I could afford a Rolex which I can't), but if I'd heard that, I'd never go near that shop again.
    Thats why I walked- until I gave the other SA the benefit of the doubt. Wasn’t going to wait in line to be told that!

Master
    Good question and the answer is that it was a watch that I wanted and wasn't sure I'd get another chance to acquire one new within a reasonable time frame.

Of course, I could have walked out and so comments are not meant to suggest that I didn't have a choice but more that because of the way they acted, they will most likely not get any more of my future spend on watches.

It pays to be nice, that's the short version of my long winded post!
    It is a DJ 41. No one would look at them a year ago.
    And arguably most are getting sold to people as stepping stones to get to the next Rolex. So, I am sure you could get one from another AD much sooner than you think.

Craftsman

I am conflicted about phoning around. I keep hearing about local customers. My parents had a successful family run business. The Bio sounds on a par with my interaction with my nearest AD. Every question seems like an interview. “Is it for a special occasion?” At the end, I’m informed they will make some enquiries
    You’ve enabled me to ring around other AD’s!

De-ja-vu from earlier in the thread, but this again begs the question - why buy 'in stock' items from them if they don't treat you right?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    De-ja-vu from earlier in the thread, but this again begs the question - why buy 'in stock' items from them if they don't treat you right?
    To be honest it’s sheer convenience my wife loves Art Deco and art nouveau Jewellery which they have. I will also whilst my wife is enjoying buying her trinkets look around and buy anything if it’s of interest to me. They have changed a lot since the son took over the business. Prior to this I used to get anything I expressed an interest in. I still do now within reason but now it feels like a chore and after the ridiculous bull over the personal information request. I just don’t have time to pander; maybe as I get older I have less patience for nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by greggy50 View Post
    I popped into Maplin & Webb Chester and managed to get on the waiting list for a GMT Master. Whether I actually ever get a call without a buying history is another kettle of fish however...

I was offered a Datejust 41mm Rhodium with a 18k Bezel I could have took on the day but it wouldn't be a keeper for me (unlike the GMT) and I suspect I would lose a fair bit come resale time if a GMT did become available.
    Wos group don’t have “lists” now, it’s a “note of interest”.
    As you acknowledge, the chances of you getting one without spending is extremely slim.