closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch Suggetions Please?

Apprentice

Watch Suggetions Please?

Hello Guys,

Im looking for a new watch, well possibly 2, Im wondering if any of you can help.

Im thinking while the sales are on Id take advantage.

What Im after is a good quality every day watch, something that will last. I travel a lot with work so needs to be rugged but not too bulky. Ive been looking at the likes of Seiko and some of the micro brands.

I also want a smart/ dress watch. I like the looks of the Tudor Black Bay but don't know if I can justify the cost.

Any suggestions would be great. If you know of anything decent in the sales or Im open to buying used also.

Thanks in advance

Daz

My immediate thoughts fall to two of the watches that I currently own.

For a mechanical every day watch for under £1k look at the Damasko DS30. They are 39mm and also very thin so not at all bulky. The submarine steel case is very scratch resistant and robust.

If you are prepared to go quartz, look at the SBGX0** range of Grand Seiko's. 37mm with slim case so not bulky. They do come up for around a grand or so used. The 9F quartz movement is astonishingly accurate and has a theoretical service interval of 50 years. Good write up here: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...ith-caliber-9f
    Last edited by beechcustom; 29th December 2020 at 14:37. Reason: correcting autocorrect

Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 38 or Sinn 556i

Whats your approx budget ?

Master
    So many options for a reliable, long-lasting everyday watch but this one sprang to mind, perhaps because I'm wearing mine today:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...52-Field-watch

I think almost all of Eddie's watches on Timefactors qualify for a great everyday watch
    Last edited by tommyzzj; 29th December 2020 at 16:07.

Journeyman
    Agreed, can’t go far wrong with either of these tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 38 or Sinn 556i

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    I think almost all of Eddie's watches on Timefactors qualify for great everyday watch - ordering resuming on 12 Jan I believe:)
    Where did you see the 12th of January at, I can't find anything about the next store opening.

Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    Where did you see the 12th of January at, I can't find anything about the next store opening.
    Forgive me the page took me to a notice for 12 Jan 2020... my apologies..

Master
    Smart / dress watch immediately takes me to Longines . There’s a lovely one on SC ( I’m not connected to sale ) if budget is lower I’d be thinking about the 80hr power reserves on Tissot and Certina - Certina has the advantage of being relatively unknown outside of watch forums both Longines Tissot and Certina are under Swatch ownership with ETA movements so servicing is relatively simple

Tag Heuer Aquaracer, take your pick of size and dial colour. Go auto & probably sales available or discount from ADs. Ticks all your needs

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dazca1 View Post
    Hello Guys,

What Im after is a good quality every day watch, something that will last. I travel a lot with work so needs to be rugged but not too bulky. Ive been looking at the likes of Seiko and some of the micro brands.

I also want a smart/ dress watch. I like the looks of the Tudor Black Bay but don't know if I can justify the cost.

Daz
    There’s a lot to unpack there. In the interests of clarity (not criticising):

1. When you say rugged: what does the watch need to do? Or is it that you would prefer a rugged-looking watch?

2. The dress watch is presumably a separate acquisition?

3. Budget? Total or for each piece?

For all rounders, I would suggest: Seiko 5KX (40mm bezel free), Seiko Baby Alpinist, Damasko DS30, Sinn 556i, Tudor bb36, omega aqua terra, Rolex explorer.

Then there are variations on that depending on whether you want to go a bit dressier or bit more toolish...

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer, take your pick of size and dial colour. Go auto & probably sales available or discount from ADs. Ticks all your needs

This was going to be my suggestion.

Yes, it won't hold its value very well but if you're not planning on selling it anytime soon then that's not a consideration.

I have an Aquaracer and it really is a lovely watch.

You'll get a solid watch but be prepared for it to be recognised as an "expensive" watch to people as Tag Heuer is quite well known due to their marketing.

Journeyman
    If you like the Black Bay why not go for the 41 or 36. That would tick all boxes of everyday, rugged and can be dressy! May be some in the sales / second hand at a good discount.

Master
    These three cover the price ranged from £2300 to £700 . None should be purchased at full rrp
    I do think that so many people wear dive watches these days that they’ve effectively become dressy themselves and can be found from mental prices down to £500 or so for a fun Glycine or second hand Longine hydro conquest

gif upload

Journeyman
    Hello Guys,

Im looking for a new watch, well possibly 2, Im wondering if any of you can help.

Im thinking while the sales are on Id take advantage.

Any suggestions would be great. If you know of anything decent in the sales or Im open to buying used also.

Thanks in advance

Daz

Journeyman
    I agree with tommyzzj, I have four different Timefactors watches, chuffed with all of them.

Blog Entries
    Certina, many have ETA auto movements and reasonably priced...(80hr power reserve not to be sneezed at either)

https://davidcarpenterwatches.com/wa..._brand=certina

Up budget, but below Tudor levels something out of the normal box perhaps, Tag Formula One Gulf for something different and unusual. If you have the matching GT40 all the better....

https://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk...BoCqd8QAvD_BwE. (I haven't had dealings with this supplier, just a random search)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Apprentice
    Wow, thank you all for the suggestions.

Some of those have been on my radar and some not.

My budget is probably £500 min for everyday watch and at a later date maybe £1500-2000 for a smart watch.

As for rugged, Its not a cosmetic thing, I want something that can take a knock or two and last, I don't want it looking like crap after a month. I had a cheaper PDV watch a while ago(looked great) but it picked up a few marks and looked crap very quickly.

I would maybe like something that has a little prestige but I wont get mugged for.

As for the dress watch, Its not my first priority I will need to save a bit more I think. Ive just missed a bell and ross beauty on sale from £2550 to £1650. I ummed and ahhed too long and it gone.

I have head my Eye on an Oris Diver 65 but not sure about durability for every day.

Thanks again guys, keep em coming

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you ar starting your watch journey my advice is to scour the stuff online from places like Chrono24 to get an idea of what you could buy, then research if it’s good choice.

If it were me I would get a used speedmaster moonwatch which could be used for pub, work or wedding. They are money in the bank long term.

Alongside I’d look at something like a longines legend diver, the oris 65, or if you fancy something that’s more smart and a significant uplift in quality, a Zenith ultra thin.

Craftsman
    a certina dive watch would fit the bill, i’d go auto
    and diver that way it’s a proper watch and versatile
    plus it has a heart inside not a tick tick quartz watch
    have a look at the certina ds action diver on the bracelet
    powermatic that will probably be my next watch

G-Shock GW-5000-1JF or an Omega X-33 and a Junghans Max Bill. Job jobbed

Hmmm... I suspect that given you’ve mentioned the Tudor black bay and Bell & Ross among your smart/dress watch options, you may be using different definitions to what I was thinking of(perhaps you mean a more expensive watch to wear on a nice occasion, rather than a dress watch?)

So if I’ve understood correctly, you’re looking for an everyday beater at around £500 and a tool watch from a widely recognised Swiss brand to be a bit more gentle with at £1500-£2000?

Quite a few options there, if you’re willing to consider it, at that price you’re in the realms of a German military chronograph like Sinn 103 or Damasko dc56 / dc66.

Apprentice
    Thanks again folks,
    Yes my definition may not be the same as yours. I am thinking about something that can be worn for nights out, dinner, nice hotel, weddings etc.. Im not sure on your definition but to me if I get dressed up for something Id like a nice watch to wear. A Tudor black bay may not be smart/ dress to you but It is appealing to me, as are some of the suggestions the folks are making.

I not wanting to get into back and forth of what constitutes a dress/smart watch, I know everyone has their own opinion. I am happy with suggestions on good quality watches that tick the boxes I need ticking.

Thank you again for your suggestions. I will be researching a lot in the next few days. I have not heard much about some of the mentioned watches so a lot to consider.

Master
    The nice hotel and weddings imo is vintage dress watch territory or the modern interpretations of classics from Longines. I know the OP doesn’t want to get into what constitutes but if he ever does want to take a peak then good runners from the 60’s Seamaster range , Deville’s , Connies and lovely Longine are all available under 1k . Slightly lower priced you can pick up Certina Bristol’s that rock that look

Apprentice
    Thanks,

Im quite a big guy, I had a Deville a while ago but it looked lost on my wrist. Need about a 41ish mm.

Sorry for my ignorance but what are Connies? Im not up on all the watch jargon.

Master
    Thanks,

Im quite a big guy, I had a Deville a while ago but it looked lost on my wrist. Need about a 41ish mm.

Sorry for my ignorance but what are Connies? Im not up on all the watch jargon.
    No worries
    Connies are Omega Constellation’s which were top of the line for Omega back in the 60’s. They held a record I believe for sheer number to reach COSC sign off. The Seamaster range split between professional dive watches and classic understated round stainless steel and pretty robust 3 handers The black dialed ones (often redial’s) are classic madmen series style

It’s a bit of a thing watch sizes I’m myself 6ft 3” 17st lump but wore my 35mm Connie on my wedding day . Having said that I wouldn’t wear it straight after putting on my Orange Monster as it’d feel tiny. Funny though by day 2 it feels perfectly fine

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    It’s a bit of a thing watch sizes I’m myself 6ft 3” 17st lump but wore my 35mm Connie on my wedding day . Having said that I wouldn’t wear it straight after putting on my Orange Monster as it’d feel tiny. Funny though by day 2 it feels perfectly fine
    It's amazing how my 37mm Grand Seiko feels really small at first but after a day or so it's the perfect size. It works the other way too, most noticeably with my 40mm MarkXVIII.

If you’re not put off by quartz the Grand Seiko SBGV225 fits your bill and punches way over its price level in terms of finish.

Check it out on google or Instagram as GS’ own pics are useless.

I would also check out Nomos. You either like them or not but great watches and ton of value, amongst the cheapest in house movements.
    Last edited by jonasy; 30th December 2020 at 23:18.

Apprentice
    Thanks again guys. The search continues. Was planning an outing to go and view some today but that pr**k Boris has just put us into tier 4, so Im going nowhere. Ill keep looking.

Some very nice suggestions to mull over. Thanks again