closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Share your final 2020 SOTC

Share your final 2020 SOTC

We have a Favourite Acquisition of 2020 thread and a Watch Intentions 2021 thread, but how about a SOTC thread to close out 2020?

SOTC pictures, videos and/or descriptions welcome!

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    We have a Favourite Acquisition of 2020 thread and a Watch Intentions 2021 thread, but how about a SOTC thread to close out 2020?

Haha! Nice Nomos.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    A quick snap of the box as it stands. 12 in the box and 1 on the wrist is enough for me. Really!

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Missing a couple due to laziness - but a fruitful year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the middle of a big transition, but here's where I'm at right now

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    In the middle of a big transition, but here's where I'm at right now

I keep toying with AP. How do you find it compared to the others. Great collection btw

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    A quick snap of the box as it stands. 12 in the box and 1 on the wrist is enough for me. Really!

Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I keep toying with AP. How do you find it compared to the others. Great collection btw
    Thank you. I think if you're toying with it then you'll eventually buy one, as you won't be disappointed.

I'd say that the quality of the Royal Oak in terms of finishing is head and shoulders above any watch I've owned. I've owned a VC Overseas and a Patek Aquanaut and believe the Royal Oak to be less versatile but it feels much more special- what the AP lacks in versatility it makes up for in 'wow' factor.

Mine is the 15303 so is 39mm. While I have 44mm watches in the collection, I wouldn't go any bigger than that for the AP. You also need to make sure the fit is spot on as there's no micro adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Thank you. I think if you're toying with it then you'll eventually buy one, as you won't be disappointed.

I'd say that the quality of the Royal Oak in terms of finishing is head and shoulders above any watch I've owned. I've owned a VC Overseas and a Patek Aquanaut and believe the Royal Oak to be less versatile but it feels much more special- what the AP lacks in versatility it makes up for in 'wow' factor.

Mine is the 15303 so is 39mm. While I have 44mm watches in the collection, I wouldn't go any bigger than that for the AP. You also need to make sure the fit is spot on as there's no micro adjust.
    Thanks for that. Good for thought

Quite a small collection in comparison. I tend to get a nose bleed when I get six and panic to downsize. But this is my final lot to end 2020.

Master
    Very fortunate to pick up a couple of unexpected watches this year. My first attempt at using a light box which then blew out so it’s gone back.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Very fortunate to pick up a couple of unexpected watches this year. My first attempt at using a light box which then blew out so it’s gone back.
    Nothing low end for knocking about in or didn't want to spoil the picture?

Stunning collection there.

I was going to say do you only buy watches that there is a huge waiting list for

Journeyman
    Here's mine.
    Common sense should tell me to stop now but when did common sense enter into this hobby?
    I may replace the Oris with a PRS-25 in 2021 and I have always wanted a Gold vintage 1960's Omega constellation. I would need to sell something for this to happen but I like all of my watches!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ve an Omega Seamaster which I think may have been away for a service at the time (service cost nearly as much as the original price) and a couple of other older watches that I keep at work.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Nothing low end for knocking about in or didn't want to spoil the picture?
    Does look like that, been very fortunate to get some, others more luck or persistence. For example the Royal Oak. Asked about it on the AP section on Rolex forums, a member pm’d me his contact at the AP House in London. I called his mobile, had a nice chat. He advised me to come in and introduce myself, next thing, it’s on my wrist. I’ve seen other people say it’s a 6 to 12 month wait. The Daytona was again down to perseverance more than the relationship at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Stunning collection there.

I was going to say do you only buy watches that there is a huge waiting list for

Master

Master

Need a little more variety.

Excuse the sloppy pictures. I need to sort out the Seiko row in 2021 and then try to decide on either a MM300 for a third time or a BB41 for a third time.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 30th December 2020 at 03:55.

Craftsman
    Unless I get a call that ‘the beagle has landed’ during the next 48 hours this will be my lot at the end of the year....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

Nice 👍

I am having an urge for an Accutron more and more of late.

My collection of affordables with improvised 3-watch roll and strap bag.

Master

Here is where I’ve ended up this year... Something for every occasion although hope to swap the BLNR for a BLRO at some point in the near future.

Last edited by michael.jaye; 30th December 2020 at 00:20.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Quite a small collection in comparison. I tend to get a nose bleed when I get six and panic to downsize. But this is my final lot to end 2020.

Some crackers in that pelican case, may I ask how you find it for watch storage? I’m torn between buying a nice fancy wooden watch box or a pelican that would really protect them. Not as pretty but does the job I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Some crackers in that pelican case, may I ask how you find it for watch storage? I’m torn between buying a nice fancy wooden watch box or a pelican that would really protect them. Not as pretty but does the job I would think.
    The pelican case I have had for almost two years now, It’s as solid as it gets. I honestly don’t think I would use anything else. Really happy with my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    I use a Peli Case from The Case Farm for whenever I need to move watches and it's rock solid. Could probably chuck watches down the stairs in this and be fine, not that I'm testing it!

They make a 3, 4, 6, 10 and 18 slot watch cases.

https://www.thecasefarm.co.uk/watch-cases/
    Last edited by M1011; 31st December 2020 at 18:05.

Outdated photo, but I use a Peli Case from The Case Farm for whenever I need to move watches and it's rock solid. Could probably chuck watches down the stairs in this and be fine, not that I'm testing it!

They make a 3, 4, 6, 10 and 18 slot watch cases.

https://www.thecasefarm.co.uk/watch-cases/
    I always look at the 3x and 6x of these on thecasefarm website but think they'll be too big to get into a normal safe and 95% of the time I only keep one in the house at a time. Tempting for holidays but look like they would take up the bulk of my hand luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I always look at the 3x and 6x of these on thecasefarm website but think they'll be too big to get into a normal safe and 95% of the time I only keep one in the house at a time. Tempting for holidays but look like they would take up the bulk of my hand luggage.
    Might be smaller than you think, but depends on the safe of course.

I use another 1150 Peli (the 3 watch size) for my camera when travelling. It's the perfect size for my camera setup, easily the best camera case I've ever had, takes up less the half the space in a decent size backpack for carry on and worry free protection.

Also you can buy a full foam set ('pick and pluck' I think they call it) for about £6 delivered from Peli UK direct, then just swap between The Case Farm insert and the Peli insert depending on what you need the case for. I did that for a bit, but bought another Peli 1150 in the end as they're just worth having around IMO. I'm a bit of a fan

Dimensions below if it helps:

Peli 1150 (the 3 watch case)
    EXTERNAL LENGTH (MM) 232
    EXTERNAL WIDTH (MM) 192
    EXTERNAL DEPTH (MM) 111

Peli 1200 (the 6 watch case)
    EXTERNAL LENGTH (MM) 270
    EXTERNAL WIDTH (MM) 246
    EXTERNAL DEPTH (MM) 124

Last edited by M1011; 30th December 2020 at 02:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Unless I get a call that ‘the beagle has landed’ during the next 48 hours this will be my lot at the end of the year....

I guess that's a nice enough little collection you have there! That Garrick is fantastic, the pick of the bunch for me.

The cast of the music video in the OP! ()

I'm still relatively new to this hobby, so it's been an interesting year of exploration and plenty have come and gone within the 12 months. I've trimmed down now to a core trio (the front 3) and a couple of beaters (the back 2). I like to keep the core small, so there's only one I'm hoping to add in 2021.

Rolex Explorer 214270 - The only survivor from pre-2020. I bought it from my local AD in 2019 as my first >£1k watch to celebrate a personal milestone. Spent a good couple of months researching and narrowing down to this one, still love it. #ManLogic dictated the quite considerable £sum (to me) was worthwhile as this would be my 'one watch' and I could ditch all my less expensive watches (did happen) and stop buying others (did not happen). Before Covid this was my daily wear in London. Keeper status

Tudor Black Bay Harrods - When I started considering a Tudor Black Bay I wasn't even aware the Harrods version existed. When I found out about it, I knew that was the one for me. Harrods is simply my favourite store in the world, I associate it with fond childhood Christmas memories, going to see the decorations and invariable leaving with some tasty chocolate (and nowt else)! I still do an annual trip at Christmas time (some may have seen my photos from the 2020 outing in the Everest thread). I stuck my name down for this one and eleven months later my one turned up, exactly one week before my wedding. It seemed therefore pre-ordained that this would be the watch to wear as the wedding was abroad in the sun and something sporty was fitting - so picked it up and a few days later got married wearing it. Keeper status

Nomos Ace X Club 38 #Nomiesforlife - I had been considering Nomos for a good while when this popped up on Sales Corner. I think it's superb, loving the intimate manual wind experience which is a first for me. Also like that this version is limited to #50 pieces, so if I do ever bump into someone else with the exact same watch they'll likely be an enthusiast. Purchased the strap and clasp separately from Nomos to get the perfect fit (they offer 5 different sizes). My most worn watch by a country mile since purchase. Keeper status

Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY1110.BA0928 - Another Sales Corner pick up. Capable beater that had already seen some hearty use before it reached me, so I can abuse it worry free.

Casio G-Shock (GA-2000SU-1AER) - Arrived a couple of days ago, bargain in the sales, believe it's my 5th G-Shock of 2020. Cheap and cheerful, one-in one-out, will probably swap it again in a few months, that's the beauty of G-Shocks!
    Last edited by M1011; 30th December 2020 at 15:39.

If we ever get past covid to the point where fiancée and I can actually get married there's every chance a Garrick would be my wedding watch. Just love the look. How do you find it?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    If we ever get past covid to the point where fiancée and I can actually get married there's every chance a Garrick would be my wedding watch. Just love the look. How do you find it?
    I enjoy it very much thanks. It has an unusual style; one that attracts more comments than any other watch I have worn. Movement finishing is lovely, so rear view is a treat. It is quite a thick watch. Approx Speed-master thick. Thus, not particularly versatile. Great with a tee shirt. At its best it’s with a casual jacket. If you are ok with a speedy on a strap, you’ll be fine.

Regulation on mine is not great. +3 seconds per day dial-up with a nice clean trace but -7 in some vertical positions with a big drop in amplitude and an increase in beat error. It averages out to a +1 seconds so it is in-practice reliable but certainly not ‘impressive’. Customer experience is outstanding and I know that if Dave or Simon read this post they would be all over it wanting to get the watch back in. That’s great but it does highlight one concern about going independent: There’s only one place you can have a watch serviced.

I would take a look at the new Garrick S4. Because it doesn’t have an in-house movement the price starts at £5k. Watch has an eta/Unitas 6498 but you would hardly recognise it. It is stripped and finished to a true high-end level. Case is the same as the pricier models and dial is pretty much any way you want. Lovely looking thing. My watch is special in a way, having the Strehler co-designed movement but in truth hard to justify the extra money.
    Last edited by Satori; 30th December 2020 at 08:54.

Finished 2020 with 7 Tudors, 7 Steinharts and 7 others plus a G shock . Largely how I started the year with 1in1out being the order of the day. Only one not shown is my Tudor gmt which is on eBay just now. May keep that too though. Been having second thoughts about selling it.

Why Tudor and Steinhart? Just my favourite two brands. Plans for 2021 - I am still waiting for a Cermit call - so it remains to be seen if that’s in 2021 or beyond. Other than that there’s a limited edition Steinhart I’m being given but nothing else on the wish list yet.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Finished 2020 with 7 Tudors, 7 Steinharts and 7 others plus a G shock . Largely how I started the year with 1in1out being the order of the day. Only one not shown is my Tudor gmt which is on eBay just now. May keep that too though. Been having second thoughts about selling it.

Why Tudor and Steinhart? Just my favourite two brands. Plans for 2021 - I am still waiting for a Cermit call - so it remains to be seen if that’s in 2021 or beyond. Other than that there’s a limited edition Steinhart I’m being given but nothing else on the wish list yet.
    Lovely collection! That marinemaster tho 😍 I want it

Master
    My SOTC for 2020, feels right to me in terms of collection size and diversity, from higher value to beater, sentimental, sports and dress. Might add one more next year, but will probably be one in and one out.

Busy this year. Started off in Jan adding the BR03, then went a bit Seiko mad, two more SKX, a 7548, a Tuna, and a 6306. Also added the Unimatic and was gifted the Amfibia for Xmas. Needed a new box for the cheapies!

Aiming at two more for the posh box, one possibly out, then I think I might be done, barring the GMT that will never come!

Dave

Here’s mine for the end of this year.

I’ve had a busy year of modding and restoring Seikos, most of which were sold to fund the Pewter Heuer. I’ve hunted this one for years so really glad to get one.

I’m still modding/building watches, hence the two in the bottom right. I’ve got another case incoming to build a more dressy style watch.

For 2021 I’d really like to add a Grand Seiko to the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    My SOTC for 2020, feels right to me in terms of collection size and diversity, from higher value to beater, sentimental, sports and dress. Might add one more next year, but will probably be one in and one out.

Nice collection Alec. Good call keeping the Patek!

Super collection. Really like the PO and the Damasko!

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Super collection. Really like the PO and the Damasko!
    Thanks Gav

Excuse the crap pic but here's my SOTC at year end. I'm going to do my best not to add to it next year. It's likely the Damasko and Timex will get moved on at some point as they are not getting worn...

What happened to the Blue Paul Newman? I tried for ages to get one of those but no one was willing to sell, same went for the MOP dial.

Lots of incomings and outgoings this year! Mostly Seiko both vintage and new. Ended up with 3 great watches, and happy at the moment.
    Hopefully back into work soon so can add some new ones?
    Cheers

Blimey. That'll do me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Nice collection Alec. Good call keeping the Patek!
    Cheers, quite different to other watches I have

Master

For me, that is a really impressive collection. I like the range of shapes, styles and colours. Some lovely watches in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    What happened to the Blue Paul Newman? I tried for ages to get one of those but no one was willing to sell, same went for the MOP dial.
    The blue white Paul Newman was only given to 8 fan group admins so they never get sold. I had a blue one with dlc case but I didn’t wear it much so it got sold.