closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snow

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Quality rant

Just for you, here is a photo from sunset yesterday to show it can be pretty still after being played on:

The distance looks 'OK' mainly because it's 'away' and I tend to say out of fields so it won;t effect me. Close up though it's looks like the ground has some sort of wasting skin disease and that snowman a few posts up needs a nappy as it seems to have eaten something that disagrees with it.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    that snowman a few posts up needs a nappy as it seems to have eaten something that disagrees with it.
    I think it was a dodgy curry, but I don't recall posting!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

36 hours of white s..t

P.s it’s not a toothbrush

Blog Entries
    Well... I don't know how reliable MetDesk is (http://www.metdesk.com ), but this is their forecast for The Netherlands next week. Snow-depth...

Other forecasters show low tempertures. And according to the Dutch mentality and tradition: things 'heat up' when there's a chance of ice skating on lakes and canals. It's a cult, a religion for some.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Well... I don't know how reliable MetDesk is (http://www.metdesk.com ), but this is their forecast for The Netherlands next week. Snow-depth...

Other forecasters show low tempertures. And according to the Dutch mentality and tradition: things 'heat up' when there's a chance of ice skating on lakes and canals. It's a cult, a religion for some.

I have been watching this, looks like it might be getting a fair bit colder in the middle of next week.

Blog Entries
    Big snow flakes at this moment!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries

The Germans are convinced that the snow-height will be higher than the previously mentioned 20 -25 cm! And yes, they're predicting -10C temps as well. *Must degrease my ice skating irons*

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

The Germans are convinced that the snow-height will be higher than the previously mentioned 20 -25 cm! And yes, they're predicting -10C temps as well. *Must degrease my ice skating irons*
    degreasing your hips and knee joints might be useful, too
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    degreasing your hips and knee joints might be useful, too
    Best scenario is freezing cold and then snow. The other way around makes terrible ice in that case, I'm not going. Receipe for disaster.

North German news (NDR) mentioned a parallel with the 1978/1979 winter. That was brutal. Only a few weeks ago, I sent my youngest the link to a YT video with a Dutch news reel covering the harshness of that winter, telling him: "...that will not happen again". Big chance that I will be proven wrong.

I remember the 78/79 winter in Germany. My feet froze up above the ankle. Diesel froze in the tanks (before the days of antifreeze in diesel) and eggs froze in their shells. The temperatures dropped to minus 17C, and were hardly any warmer in the day time. It was the only time I have known the Army to say you can wear whatever you want, the priority was to keep warm. We were still ill prepared for it. The kit in those days was utter garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Hello

And hello back to you. Think your grand snowman trumps mine, but both sadly deceased now ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    This is what I looked like living in Minnesota in winter. 5:30 a.m. clearing the driveway before shower and commute to work!

We moved to Southern California 29 years ago:

What took you so long to move!!!????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I remember the 78/79 winter in Germany. My feet froze up above the ankle. Diesel froze in the tanks (before the days of antifreeze in diesel) and eggs froze in their shells. The temperatures dropped to minus 17C, and were hardly any warmer in the day time. It was the only time I have known the Army to say you can wear whatever you want, the priority was to keep warm. We were still ill prepared for it. The kit in those days was utter garbage.
    My parents lived in the North East, 4 kms West from the German border, in a small village. The front of our house was facing NE. The snow reached halfway up to the front door! But mid-January the snow had gone, only to return a few weeks later!

My grandfather died in February 1979. After the funeral, my father, his sister and his brothers needed to clear my grandpa's house for the next tenant. So my dad drove from the German border in the east to Rotterdam. The weather was fine. Then he helped clearing and when he drove home (with my uncle, his youngest brother) they were hit by freezing rain. Slowly but surely they reached my uncle's house. Halfway back to the German border. My father decided to stay at his brother's place. When he walked / slided up to the front door, a van or truck lost control and smashed my father's car that was 'safely...' parked, totalling the Ford Taunus (in the UK the Ford Consul).

I joined the Dutch army in July 1979. Dutch army's kit was rubbish as well. E.g. cotton sleeping bags. No way you could dry them out. The next 79/80 winter wasn't that bad, but we were in Seedorf Hohne in Germany for a month. It was simply COLD. I was one of the sergeants, promoted to staff sergeant. One of my APV drivers 'incidentally' hit a cabin in the forest when reversing his carrier, crashing the wooden shed completely. All we could do was tearing it apart and burning the remains...

Anyway, more and more signals here that it can be brutal like in '79. But there are signals that the low pressure area will be a little more to the left or right. In that case: no snow here / a lot of snow in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    My Dad was based in Osnabrück in 78/79 and we lived up in the army flats about 2 miles for Derby Middle school which I had to walk to each day in the Winter. The snow was so think and we also remember the freezing rain that make the ground a complete ice rink. Never seen or experienced anything like it again.

I also went through a frozen pond at the edge as it stupidly crossed it as the winter progressed. By the time I got home my Mum basically snapped my school trousers off me!

Snowsuits were quickly purchased for my sister and I!

Oh, here is my Daughter named Mr Capsworth to join the other Snowmen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    All meteo stations agree: it will be havoc next week. There's a discussion about the snow height expectancy: 20 - 50 cm where I live... Temps will drop under -15 at night. Only for a week.

Master
    Blog Entries
    South East is looking interesting. Blizzard conditions. Unfortunately not looking like getting much in the Midlands. Feel sorry for the ski resorts in Scotland. That have the best snow they have had in over a decade .

Blog Entries
    My south facing back garden from my youngest bedroom balcony. Temp around 8am: -17C, now a modest -7C.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It was -7.5°C earl 5 this morning, so no more snow but no thaw yet. Now -2°.🥶

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Horrible white shite, my area of West Yorks hasn’t seen any yet and that suits me.

If I never experienced snow again I won’t be sorry, best place for it is on Christmas cards.

I recall having to abandon my car in snow twice and struggling to get to work and back in winter, I split the back of my head open as a youngster after falling on ice and in a separate incident I fell and knocked myself out cold, had concussion for 2 days and that’s not nice.

The only good thing in snow is riding a snowmobile. Especially if it is in some good tracks.
    By contrast, winter is my fav season and it is great that I live in a place where in winter there are tons of snow :) I had lots of injuries on slippery paths but still. Snow at Christmas is a must-have :) and not only on Christmas cards :) tastes differ.
    Last edited by Owren; 13th May 2021 at 09:04.