closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can anyone help me figure out an issue with my Vespa?

Master

Can anyone help me figure out an issue with my Vespa?

So I have had this 69 plate Vespa GTS 300 hpe for about a year and a quarter, just over 2000 miles. Bought from new, had its run in service and first annual service, no issues.

Only slight thing I had noticed is that sometimes when I pull in the brake and press ignition, nothing happens, it will either start up after a long delay or need me to turn it all completely off and on again and then usually starts. That may or may not be related to the issue that seems a bit more serious that just happened...

I was only going about 30mph (luckily) just now and the thing just died, engine went completely dead, even the screen and all lights turned off. I pulled it over, turned the key off and on again and it started. I then pressed the kill switch to see if I may have pressed that but no, because that doesn't turn off the screen and everything.

Any ideas? It is still under warranty but nearest dealer is Exeter and I live in Plymouth, not sure I'd feel safe riding it on 70mph roads if that might happen again!

Dodgy ignition switch.
    Poor/loose wiring harness multi-plug connection.
    Fractured/intermittent main fuse or associated wiring.

Could be anything, really.
    With these types of faults there`1s no point in just guessing, you need to arm yourself with a wiring diagram and systematically and methodically go through all the possibles.
    .....or just take it back to the dealer, don`t waste your time on it if it`s under warranty..

Blog Entries
    Most likely an electric problem. First, check the battery leads for oxidation etc. Then check the ignition switch wiring. Check the fuses (does a Vespa have fuses?)

I have a 125 Sprint (4 years old, 30,000 kilometres) and occasionally have a similar problem. When I put the key in the ignition everything lights up but the starter won't turn and the anti-theft light comes on. I think this is the antenna next to the key hole not recognising the chip in the key. Taking the key out and putting it back in again usually solves the problem or even pushing the key in against the spring (which opens the glovebox).

On a couple of occasions the motor has cut out and everything gone black, each time on tickover. I found jiggling the run/off switch back and forwards fixes this, maybe there was a bit of crap on the contacts?

My first thought is ignition switch or wiring to it as all power went but has come back again.

It should be a warranty repair though.

It’s in warranty, so get it fixed properly. If you don’t want to ride it, hire a van and stick it in the back.

Blog Entries
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Before I got deep into it, I'd pull all the block connectors apart visually inspect them, clean, vaseline and replace. then I'd find out where the earths are, unbolt visually inspect, grease with copaslip and then replace. I wouldn't bother doing any electrical diagnosis until I've done that. Always assume it's the earth first, not least because it's near impossible to do all but the most local diagnosis with faulty earths. ...And it's usually the earth.

Check battery leads are secure/tight
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"