closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ming H41 Diver - mini review

Ming H41 Diver - mini review

I've had my Ming H41 diver for a month or so now, so thought it was time for a quick review! This was a bit of a controversial release - trying to reinvent your own way of doing a classic design was always going to cause some uproar! Onto the watch!

First up, the case itself is superb - lovely polishing and finishing on the titanium and the lines flow beautifully. 40mm is a sweet spot in this sort of design as well. Quite simply the best case I own. Yes 1000m and thus a thicker case may be unnecessary, but being thinner wouldn't allow Ming to showcase the case work.

The bezel - people complained about it being smooth/unpractical. Completely unfounded - the oversized and slightly grippy nature of the DLC makes this very easy and satisfying to turn. Not tried with rubber gloves, but no issues with wet hands.

The dial and lume - all Ming dials play with light and this is no exception. This 'new generation' design (along with the 2701) I believe harmonises and shows the Ming design the best. It will stand the test of time. No complaints with the lume either - the dial really light like a torch and lasts all night. The bezel lume is also surprisingly good - weaker than the dial, but much better than most out there.

A play on inversion -

A crappy lume shot -

The bracelet - as a diver, yes the bracelet is inadequate. I haven't put this on a NATO; I initially put it on one of Jean Rosseau's rubber straps being put off by the lack of fitted end links, but decided to give the bracelet a go. With proper wear I am a convert - the bracelet balances the watch very well and I am indifferent over the end links. It does lessen the visual size of the watch. On the bracelet we need to think of this as a luxury sports watch - now we have something compelling as a daily wearer.

This year we had two watches released that sat in between the 17 series and 19 series. Are they worth the step up in price from the 1706? I've always said you get what you pay for - paying more gets you a far better Ming watch. These two definitely sit below the 1901 - but that is due to components than cheapening of quality (box sapphire, much better movement etc).

So which one is my favourite? All four are rather different. I think the 1901 still edges it, its audacity and design is still unmatches and on the bracelet we have the perfect combo. The 2701 probably embodies what Ming as a brand stand for best but most will see the 17 as their way into the brand. But the diver is the watch I will be wearing every day.

The other new release this year -

I'm excited about what Ming release next year - lots of stuff by the looks of their end of year note - https://ming.watch/blogs/journal/looking-to-2021 . it seems the IG hype has gotten a bit mad, and it's difficult for a young brand to anticipate and plan how much to produce. Hopefully the demand in 2020 means the brand has enough resources to make enough next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love this watch, thanks for the review. I was quote excited when I saw your thread because for a split second I thought you may have been listing it on SC

Master
    I quite like the diver.............does that make me a minger

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    I quite like the diver.............does that make me a minger
    Get it bought so you can be minging with the rest of them

Not a brand I'm a particular fan of but enjoyed reading that short but well put together review. Good work OP and fair play to going for something a bit different.

Good write up and nice pics. Always nice to hear a bit more about a brand that you are not over familiar with

Great review and comments. Thank you.

I love reviews like this, it’s nice to read about something new. Whilst the watches and design are not for me I can see why you are enamoured with them and I would like to see one in the metal.
    Thanks for taking the time to jot down your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I love this watch, thanks for the review. I was quote excited when I saw your thread because for a split second I thought you may have been listing it on SC
    Haha, nope! There are a few on chrono24, but at 5-6k the value proposition is a bit different to the 3k or so I paid all in. I think the watch itself is probably worth it, but I'd want something other than a 2824 (what I have no idea).

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Good write up and nice pics. Always nice to hear a bit more about a brand that you are not over familiar with
    Well I said we needed some more content, so thought I'd get my finger out!

Thanks to the rest for the comments - my own watch journey meant I was fortunate in acquiring the mainstream pieces that I really wanted (in summary a rolex, a couple of panerai, an IWC and a GO). After that I realised I was done with the big brands - I don't need any more mass produced watches. Ming watches are not for everyone design wise - and that really is the point. I want something a bit more niche but really well made.

My collection is already pretty full and I doubt I sell any of my core 'mainstream' collection (I'm not a huge flipper by nature), but if I do buy anything from now on, smaller, independent watches only. It really is worth most folks on here going through the discovery of smaller brands and trying a few - something for everyone at all price points. (I know some will bring up retention values etc - but we need to get over that).

Master
    Great review and further comments,has prompted me to take a closer look at Ming.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    My collection is already pretty full and I doubt I sell any of my core 'mainstream' collection (I'm not a huge flipper by nature), but if I do buy anything from now on, smaller, independent watches only. It really is worth most folks on here going through the discovery of smaller brands and trying a few - something for everyone at all price points. (I know some will bring up retention values etc - but we need to get over that).
    I get that totally. I did a bit of consolidation and cashed in a few watches to get the Daytona, but that will probably be it on the bigger and more expensive brands. I have recently tried a couple of Undone limited editions, obviously at a much lower price point than Ming, but they are great watches for the money. I was also looking for a meteorite dial watch and again looking not to spend a fortune and found a cracking Zelos watch on Chrono24 which is currently on its way from Hong Kong, so looking forward to that arriving in the new year.

Nothing else on the horizon at present, but as we have said before, a little more contentment wouldn't go a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I get that totally. I did a bit of consolidation and cashed in a few watches to get the Daytona, but that will probably be it on the bigger and more expensive brands. I have recently tried a couple of Undone limited editions, obviously at a much lower price point than Ming, but they are great watches for the money. I was also looking for a meteorite dial watch and again looking not to spend a fortune and found a cracking Zelos watch on Chrono24 which is currently on its way from Hong Kong, so looking forward to that arriving in the new year.

Nothing else on the horizon at present, but as we have said before, a little more contentment wouldn't go a miss.
    Yea, once you're at a good place with your 'mainstream' collection, you can have some fun! Undone are a very good example of being able to explore smaller/independent brands at all price points. Zelos quality is great, never owned one but only heard good things. Look forward to seeing that!

But yes, we all need to be a bit more content and not seeing red with lust for the 'next thing'.

Haha, nope! There are a few on chrono24, but at 5-6k the value proposition is a bit different to the 3k or so I paid all in. I think the watch itself is probably worth it, but I'd want something other than a 2824 (what I have no idea).
    I have been keeping one eye on C24 and at near retail I could be tempted, but at 5-6k I wil have to pass. Maybe they will soften in time when Ming releases other similar watches, I will jst have to bide time.

Nice, my favorite from Ming so far

Master
    Nice review, but I am wary of the enthusiasm for this brand. Expensive and , I assume, questions over servicing...does it have to go off to Malaysia? That would be daft. And when I read interviews with the founder, to cynical me it reeks of public relations with all sorts of claims about his range of abilities.
    So, not for me, but there are clearly braver buyers out there.
    Will it be around in a few years? It’s a tough world out there with ferocious competition. I don’t wish Ming harm, but it has to be a struggle.To attract me , it would need a firm base in the UK to keep it going over the years.
    After all, several thousand pounds is a lot of money.
    Last edited by paskinner; 29th December 2020 at 10:38.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Nice review, but I am wary of the enthusiasm for this brand. Expensive and , I assume, questions over servicing...does it have to go off to Malaysia? That would be daft. And when I read interviews with the founder, to cynical me it reeks of public relations with all sorts of claims about his range of abilities.
    So, not for me, but there are clearly braver buyers out there.
    Will it be around in a few years? It’s a tough world out there with ferocious competition. I don’t wish Ming harm, but it has to be a struggle.To attract me , it would need a firm base in the UK to keep it going over the years.
    After all, several thousand pounds is a lot of money.

But this is inherent with any Independent/micro brand - if for instance I bought a Grubel Forsey and the company went bust, who would service it? In the case of Ming, all their watches are ETA apart from the 19 series, so any independent watchmaker could service. If the brand went bust and/or you really want to send it back to manufacturer, well Schwartz Ettiene will likely be servicing it anyway (so no need to send it back to Malaysia). Incidentally SE have also made plans for a contingency supply of parts of their existing movements so if they go bust, a watchmaker can get parts to service the 19 series movements (for instance). So I see this as not really an issue.

Your comment on base I do not agree with - we live in a truly digital/global world, having a firm base in the UK seems a bit of an odd requirement. They'll survive if they continue to make products that get good feedback and reviews and also people feel the value proposition is worth it.

Great review and that's a lovely collection... so hard to find these! the 2701 is definitely my favourite out of the 4:)

Outstanding review wear it in very best of health and that Lume is amazing!

Crazyp, it has been 8 months now, how are you finding the Ming - is it with you for the long term? How do you find the bracelet, I would only wear it on the bracelet so that's an important consideration?

I am considering buying one to try, and as is often the case with his hobby, the only way to know if the watch is what you hope is to take a chance. Re-reading your review makes me even keener.

Cheers

But this is inherent with any Independent/micro brand - if for instance I bought a Grubel Forsey and the company went bust, who would service it? In the case of Ming, all their watches are ETA apart from the 19 series, so any independent watchmaker could service. If the brand went bust and/or you really want to send it back to manufacturer, well Schwartz Ettiene will likely be servicing it anyway (so no need to send it back to Malaysia). Incidentally SE have also made plans for a contingency supply of parts of their existing movements so if they go bust, a watchmaker can get parts to service the 19 series movements (for instance). So I see this as not really an issue.

Your comment on base I do not agree with - we live in a truly digital/global world, having a firm base in the UK seems a bit of an odd requirement. They'll survive if they continue to make products that get good feedback and reviews and also people feel the value proposition is worth it.
    Exactly, well said, I for example bought a
    Marine Chronometer Offshore Professional. UK independent, with a lifetime warranty. Very sadly, with Lorne’s passing, so has that warranty.
    Grand Seiko’s don’t they have to go back to their homeland?

Turning back to your original review, that’s a nice piece. Lume looks epic. You still liking it? Loving it?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Crazyp, it has been 8 months now, how are you finding the Ming - is it with you for the long term? How do you find the bracelet, I would only wear it on the bracelet so that's an important consideration?

I am considering buying one to try, and as is often the case with his hobby, the only way to know if the watch is what you hope is to take a chance. Re-reading your review makes me even keener.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Exactly, well said, I for example bought a
    Marine Chronometer Offshore Professional. UK independent, with a lifetime warranty. Very sadly, with Lorne’s passing, so has that warranty.
    Grand Seiko’s don’t they have to go back to their homeland?

Turning back to your original review, that’s a nice piece. Lume looks epic. You still liking it? Loving it?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Hi chaps - damn 8 months since the review and incidentally the last watch I've bought. Been managing to keep to my self imposed ban!

I think my comment in my review stands -

So which one is my favourite? All four are rather different. I think the 1901 still edges it, its audacity and design is still unmatches and on the bracelet we have the perfect combo. The 2701 probably embodies what Ming as a brand stand for best but most will see the 17 as their way into the brand. But the diver is the watch I will be wearing every day.
    I am wearing this a lot and finding it very comfortable. I wasn't initially sure on the bracelet matching with the diver, but having tried lots of other combos I think it is the best match so if that is a preference then that should be no issue. As a daily wearer its a very good watch - I would have liked a better movement (power reserve is a bit short on the 2824) but otherwise no complaints in fit and finishing and the titanium is holding up well. The bezel action really is excellent btw, but I can see how people get confused with the markings.

Hope that helps mondie - no doubt price plays a big factor. Looking at chrono24, $7k ish feels a bit rich, at around $5k though if you can find it I think its worth it.

I'm still also totally ok with independent brands and the risk and continue to like Ming's approach to mostly ETA apart from their high end. Though even that can go awry as with the latest release, but they're working to fix all that so that should give confidence in the brand regardless of the comments flying around!

A very late thanks CrazyP, for your follow-up comments.

I am back on the 1801 thought train and went looking for this thread, then noticed I never responded to your post If the 1801 was 42mm I would have bought one last year, 40mm is the only thing that gives me pause for thought. Buying blind is always difficult!

Master
    Sorry, but I really don’t get it. Looks like it’s come out of a Christmas cracker. If it were £40 I wouldn’t buy one but at £1,000s they’re taking the piss. Each to his own I suppose.