closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Posting/insuring a watch with Royal Mail

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    640

    Posting/insuring a watch with Royal Mail

    I sold a watch on Chrono24 (after there was no interest on here) for £1,200.

    I am now arranging for it to be sent today and it looks like Royal Mail would be the easiest option (Special Delivery Guaranteed) as I understand you can just declare the full value and add on compensation cover for this amount should anything go wrong. Itís also fully tracked and signed for.

    Has anyone sent a watch through Royal Mail around this value before?

  2. #2
    I have sent quite a few of that value and more, service was fast, cheap and no problems but I have never had to make a claim for anything over £50 lost in transit so I don't know what they would be like if anything went wrong.

  3. #3
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nr London or Carvoeiro, Portugal
    Posts
    10,463
    Blog Entries
    20
    RMSD it one of the remaining great services that RM provides for packages up to 20kg. Do make sure the package is securely packed - if you shake it and you can hear it moving it needs repacking (parcels are thrown around during transit).


    https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...-item-specific

    itís one of the safest ways to post within the UK.

  4. #4
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    640
    Is there any safeguards I should do before sending in case the buyer says nothing was inside?

    I suppose itís still based on trust but how much would a video showing the contents before I send go in my favour in case it was a scam buyer and a dispute was raised?

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    1,004
    RMSD is a great service, used it loads and only slight issue I've ever had is one parcel being one day late.

    I always use the Special Delivery silver envelope/bags available free from the post office in different sizes. Package well then place in the bag and seal the tamper proof adhesive seal. Makes it really stand out as a special delivery and I feel is a bit more secure.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    5,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    RMSD is a great service, used it loads and only slight issue I've ever had is one parcel being one day late.

    I always use the Special Delivery silver envelope/bags available free from the post office in different sizes. Package well then place in the bag and seal the tamper proof adhesive seal. Makes it really stand out as a special delivery and I feel is a bit more secure.
    Yes Iíd echo the use of the bag

  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    892
    Iíve used this service up to £1500.00 no issues,use plenty of packing round the watch.

  8. #8
    Master huytonman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    oxfordshire
    Posts
    2,578
    Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post
    Is there any safeguards I should do before sending in case the buyer says nothing was inside?

    I suppose itís still based on trust but how much would a video showing the contents before I send go in my favour in case it was a scam buyer and a dispute was raised?
    take a video of you packing the watch, clearly showing you sealing it up and the address, make sure to also show the watch condition. I do this regularly now with Ebay sales. If you cant video, take photos.

    Keith

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    take a video of you packing the watch, clearly showing you sealing it up and the address, make sure to also show the watch condition. I do this regularly now with Ebay sales. If you cant video, take photos.

    Keith
    I will do thanks

    Interestingly even with this, the buyer could argue it wasnít in the packaging

    The only way around this would be asking them to video when received opening it but even then itís down to them not having tampered with the package in advance

    Iím just a massive cynic and always looking at what could go wrong, especially if itís with someone Iím not aware of (at least on the forum it is much less likely to happen and trust isnít usually an issue at all)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    N Ireland
    Posts
    3,532
    Goes without saying I am sure but don't accept PayPal for the watch. Scammers charter.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    take a video of you packing the watch, clearly showing you sealing it up and the address, make sure to also show the watch condition. I do this regularly now with Ebay sales. If you cant video, take photos.

    Keith
    Never seen the point of this - whatís to stop you then opening and repacking w/o watch?

  12. #12
    Master PhilipK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    3,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Package well then place in the bag and seal the tamper proof adhesive seal.
    Just to be pedantic, it's a tamper evident seal, not a tamper proof one (i.e. it will show if the package has been tampered with, but it doesn't do anything to prevent the tampering occurring). It's a "detective" security control rather than a "preventative" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    take a video of you packing the watch, clearly showing you sealing it up and the address, make sure to also show the watch condition. I do this regularly now with Ebay sales. If you cant video, take photos.
    Utterly pointless - it proves nothing.

  13. #13
    Unless someone has made a claim I don't think they can truely recommend this service - all couriers are fine when things work perfectly !

    I've used Recorded/Signed for and the compensation is USELESS !
    RM terms are that you have to PROVE what the item cost you, and they will only cover you for that value.
    The price you sold it for has no impact on this.

    Clearly those terms may be just fine in this case, but...

    The info is out there if you search.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Gren View Post
    Unless someone has made a claim I don't think they can truely recommend this service - all couriers are fine when things work perfectly !

    I've used Recorded/Signed for and the compensation is USELESS !
    RM terms are that you have to PROVE what the item cost you, and they will only cover you for that value.
    The price you sold it for has no impact on this.

    Clearly those terms may be just fine in this case, but...

    The info is out there if you search.
    Years ago I sold a Bell-matic case back to a guy in the UK and posted it first class recorded and it never arrived, no problem its insured, so I got in touch with RM and they would only compensate for the loss if I could supply the original receipt from when the part was originally sold in 1968, I gave up and I think the response from RM was to make you think lifes to short to mess about like this for £30 and hope you would go away.

  15. #15
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nr London or Carvoeiro, Portugal
    Posts
    10,463
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Gren View Post
    Unless someone has made a claim I don't think they can truely recommend this service - all couriers are fine when things work perfectly !

    I've used Recorded/Signed for and the compensation is USELESS !
    RM terms are that you have to PROVE what the item cost you, and they will only cover you for that value.
    The price you sold it for has no impact on this.

    Clearly those terms may be just fine in this case, but...

    The info is out there if you search.

    From RMSD site:

    Seems the lower limit is the market value of the item (I guess, may differ from the sale price and needs to be proved somehow) and also depends on the maximum cover purchased..

    Special Delivery Guaranteed by 9amģ
    Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pmģ


    The LOWER of:

    • The market value of the Item (not including the market value of any message or information it carries) at the time the Item was lost; or
    • £750 or the maximum amount of additional compensation you have paid for (whichever is the higher).
      The sterling equivalent value of foreign exchange bank notes or travellerís cheques which you include in an Item will be the value worked out at the date you give us that Item and will apply until the later of the date we deliver the Item or the date we settle any claim you make.



  16. #16
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    From RMSD site:

    Seems the lower limit is the market value of the item (I guess, may differ from the sale price and needs to be proved somehow) and also depends on the maximum cover purchased..

    Special Delivery Guaranteed by 9am
    Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm


    The LOWER of:

    • The market value of the Item (not including the market value of any message or information it carries) at the time the Item was lost; or
    • £750 or the maximum amount of additional compensation you have paid for (whichever is the higher).
      The sterling equivalent value of foreign exchange bank notes or travellerís cheques which you include in an Item will be the value worked out at the date you give us that Item and will apply until the later of the date we deliver the Item or the date we settle any claim you make.


    Market value is very subjective with watches, especially vintage...

    Well itís sent now (compensation for full Ďvalueí)

    Letís see whatís happens...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information