closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steeldive service and parts availability

Apprentice

Steeldive service and parts availability

I am wondering what solutions, if any, Steeldive offers regarding service and spare parts. I have contacted them but they never replied. I am not so much worried about the movement itself as I am about the potentially not standard o-rings and crowns. This is specifically in regard to the SD 1969, an Omega Ploprof hommage. That watch costs just a tad too much to be considered a disposable watch. Does anybody here know if Steeldive offers service or if they at least can supply parts to an independent repair place?

Don't they all use NH35 movements? I wouldn't have thought there would be any problem sourcing parts

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Don't they all use NH35 movements? I wouldn't have thought there would be any problem sourcing parts
    Like I said, I am not worried about having the movement serviced. The watch in question has a custom crown and it may not use common size o-rings and crystal gasket. This watch also has a crown guard that could potentially be lost since it does come off.

Last edited by chronocommander; 27th December 2020 at 22:03.

Quote Originally Posted by chronocommander View Post
    Like I said, I am not worried about having the movement serviced. The watch in question has a custom crown and it may not use common size o-rings and crystal gasket. This watch also has a crown guard that could potentially be lost since it does come off.

I would have thought O rings were of a standard size so would be available with a bit of search, with regard to specific parts, such as the crown guards, bezel or any other part of the watch that may be damaged, I am afraid you are at the mercy of the manufacture, and the cost point of these watches means they are a disposable watch. You may be able to get parts but any watch maker will charge the going rate to effect repairs.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I would have thought O rings were of a standard size so would be available with a bit of search, with regard to specific parts, such as the crown guards, bezel or any other part of the watch that may be damaged, I am afraid you are at the mercy of the manufacture, and the cost point of these watches means they are a disposable watch. You may be able to get parts but any watch maker will charge the going rate to effect repairs.
    As for repairs, sure they cost. I should know since I have several chronographs with 7750 movements. I don't mind spending money on repair and service but I'm hesitant to buy a >$400 disposable watch. I have been hoping Steeldive would reply to me.

I'd have thought they will have designed them to use proprietary o-rings that are cheap and already available.

Master
    Perhaps Steeldive are closed down for the Christmas period, hence lack of response, maybe?

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

As for repairs, sure they cost. I should know since I have several chronographs with 7750 movements. I don't mind spending money on repair and service but I'm hesitant to buy a >$400 disposable watch. I have been hoping Steeldive would reply to me.
    I hope they do reply to you but I fear that anything under $500 these days is a disposable watch. The cost of parts and man hours means that anything other than the most basic repairs are no longer financially viable and it becomes a question of head vs heart in any decision.

Apprentice
    I'll give Steeldive another 10 days or so to reply. I may bite the bullet anyway and risk ending up with a waterfilled paperweight in the future. I presume the crystal seal and the crystal to be off-the-shelf parts. I also presume the crown stem, stem o-ring(s) and the screwback o-rings to be of a common size. I believe the NH35 uses a crown stem that is screwed into the crown. The crown on this watch is custom made and I don't know if it has a gasket in the bottom of the crown but considering the supposed water resistance implies a crown gasket. If I get word from Steeldivce I'll report here.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I hope they do reply to you but I fear that anything under $500 these days is a disposable watch. The cost of parts and man hours means that anything other than the most basic repairs are no longer financially viable and it becomes a question of head vs heart in any decision.
    I'd hope that any manufacturer or a commercial product will at least supply or make available spare parts for a reasonable period of time.

Homage? That’s a joke. I am sorry but these type of companies really get my goat.

This copy is a fake in my book. It is as near as an exact copy as can be. Just because they stick their own name on it makes it does not make it any more worthy than a fake and no wonder it has failed.

People get into a tizz with Chris Ward or Bremont but at least they are coming up with their own designs rather than lazily stealing other brands designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    There are differences between hommage, knock-off, and fake (euphemistically called a replica) but that is really a topic for its own thread.

I always thought these brands were just mushroom brands and what you find badged steeldive you can find Parnis, San Martin or whatever other new name that springs to mind (German sounding names seem to be popular) Like someone said it may be the holidays and in the new year you may get lucky and someone replies to you but you may be better off just looking on ebay or somewhere for parts or just buying another if you like it.

Master

I'll give Steeldive another 10 days or so to reply. I may bite the bullet anyway and risk ending up with a waterfilled paperweight in the future. I presume the crystal seal and the crystal to be off-the-shelf parts. I also presume the crown stem, stem o-ring(s) and the screwback o-rings to be of a common size. I believe the NH35 uses a crown stem that is screwed into the crown. The crown on this watch is custom made and I don't know if it has a gasket in the bottom of the crown but considering the supposed water resistance implies a crown gasket. If I get word from Steeldivce I'll report here.
    I wouldn’t assume it’ll be fit for swimming/diving purpose so I’d buy a Seiko turtle or similar for that if you want some water resistance guarantee.

Otherwise if you have to buy, send it to a watch repairer and have it pressure tested before use maybe?

I’d be surprised if they respond to such emails to be honest, most people that buy these type of ‘brands’ understand they’re for the aesthetic and also that the company will no doubt be gone soon.

Three things.

Firstly, I'd be shocked if it uses anything other than generally available o-rings.

Secondly, an NH35 is a cheap movement, you can buy watches with it for under £60, so there's no reason it would ever need to be a paperweight.

Thirdly, I've dived in all three Steeldive/Heimdallr watches I've owned with no issues, so they obviously build them to have decent WR, although whether they meet the actual rating on the dial is a different matter.

The crown protector is probably not something you could easily replace if lost, but how likely is that?

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Homage? That’s a joke. I am sorry but these type of companies really get my goat.

This copy is a fake in my book. It is as near as an exact copy as can be. Just because they stick their own name on it makes it does not make it any more worthy than a fake and no wonder it has failed.

People get into a tizz with Chris Ward or Bremont but at least they are coming up with their own designs rather than lazily stealing other brands designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This thread is not about the rights or wrongs of Homage's or as you say fakes, however I understand your stance on the subject and the easy answer for yourself is buy the original, it really is that simple.

Surely the trade-off of buying this knock-off stuff because you are too tight to buy the real thing is that you cannot expect the same level of after service you get from Seiko et al?

As mentioned beyond getting their logos slapped on this stuff and acting as a middle man - I would be pretty surprised if Steeldive had any infrastructure?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Surely the trade-off of buying this knock-off stuff because you are too tight to buy the real thing is that you cannot expect the same level of after service you get from Seiko et al?

As mentioned beyond getting their logos slapped on this stuff and acting as a middle man - I would be pretty surprised if Steeldive had any infrastructure?
    To be fair its an Omega knock off not a Seiko and the Omega costs several grand its not like the difference of a few quid.

Interesting thing I find about brands like Steeldive is their "Homage" to micro brands. Pretty much suggests that they are cased up in the same place with a different branding (and different price tag) Also makes you wonder regarding Seiko themselves considering many people seem to have fallen for the mystery of the brand just as much as Swiss watches. You would think a SKX was made by Samurai warriors in villages covered by clouds high in the mountains and not some outsourced factory in Indonesia, China or Korea the way people talk about them.

I always thought these watches were a bit of fun for as long as they last and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    .I always thought these watches were a bit of fun for as long as they last and nothing more.
    Exactly this. The OP seems to be approaching this as though it's an heirloom piece and not fashion jewellery.

'Gerald Ratner, what's your opinion of Steeldive watches?'
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post

Interesting thing I find about brands like Steeldive is their "Homage" to micro brands. Pretty much suggests that they are cased up in the same place with a different branding (and different price tag)
    I think that pretty much is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    'Gerald Ratner, what's your opinion of Steeldive watches?'
    Not sure the factory owners of Steeldive are losing sleep over this one.......