closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex 16570 Authenticity - help

Rolex 16570 Authenticity - help

I came across this S series (1993-94) Rolex 16570 on Chrono24, from a supposedly trusted dealer (over 400 good reviews). However, the dial looks a little off to me - the “II” looks quite wide and extends to the left of the “D” on top of it (see picture 1), however almost every other 16570 from the same era I could find has a narrower “II” that stays well within the D and the A (such as example in picture 2). The two lines of chronometer fonts look slightly off too.

The dealer has insisted that it’s all original (not a service dial either). But what do you guys think? The movement looks fine to me but the dial just feels a bit off..).

Forgive me if this has been covered or is common knowledge! Thanks for your input :)

Cheers,

Tommy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does that look like glue-seepage around the outside of the cyclops?

You wouldn’t get that on the kosher item

The “Y” in OYSTER overlaps the “O” In the top one too.
    Last edited by blackal; 26th December 2020 at 23:19.

The crown doesn't look thick enough either, or at least they differ.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

‘Seepage’ is just the hands magnified in the cyclops.
    Not that I’m saying it’s kosher. I don’t know enough about them.

Blog Entries
    The Rolex Crown symbol looks very different as well.
    Is it a bricks and mortar dealer?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Run. Must be a ton of these around, why bother with a dodgy sample ...

Example picture 2 the crown does look too small and the lugs don't look right, picture 1 looks okay but a higher res image of the dial would be better, the Explorer font is different but this could be a change by Rolex, below is another S serial -

Master
    I would advise filtering for all 1993/1994 16570 on chrono24 and just compare them, paying particular attention to the most expensive and best examples, there are 20 of them in that date range on there. My hunch is that there has been little study of these particular models of the 1990 vs others, so might be a case of doing own due diligence. Pioneering the way!

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

well spotted..

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    They have a shop in Hamburg (with good reviews too) under a different name, which also has been changed once in the last few years it seems

They have a shop in Hamburg (with good reviews too) under a different name, which also has been changed once in the last few years it seems

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Example picture 2 the crown does look too small and the lugs don't look right, picture 1 looks okay but a higher res image of the dial would be better, the Explorer font is different but this could be a change by Rolex, below is another S serial -
    This looks fantastic - congrats if it's your watch:)

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    I would advise filtering for all 1993/1994 16570 on chrono24 and just compare them, paying particular attention to the most expensive and best examples, there are 20 of them in that date range on there. My hunch is that there has been little study of these particular models of the 1990 vs others, so might be a case of doing own due diligence. Pioneering the way!
    Tried to do this just now and saw a few variations (small things here and there) so thought I'd ask on the forum.. will study them a bit more tomorrow:)
    Last edited by tommyzzj; 27th December 2020 at 01:47.

Blog Entries
    Ask yourself this.

If it all goes tits up will you be able to get your money back?

Is it... so cheap/such a good watch/the one you have to have... or could you buy one in the UK from a shop or Watchfinder etc.?

How much do you trust the seller?

I've owned three of these and I see absolutely nothing wrong with the crown. Looks just perfect.

These always have some variation in the dial print, just like other sports Rolexes.

I see nothing wrong with the watch, either.

Looks just as nice as my white version. Mine is just newer, SEL version.

There's only one thing... in this picture the watch looks like it has different (smaller 1675-type) winding crown than in the other picture (which looks perfect). There should be no gaps between the crown guards and the crow when the crown is screwed in. Is this the same watch?
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f3d2352800.jpg
    Last edited by JPE; 27th December 2020 at 06:07.

I think people are confusing the pictures, the OP posted image 2 as an example from the web, this one has the small crown but is not the watch the OP is considering, image 1 is the watch.

Craftsman
    In which case I think the OP is comparing his target watch with an imperfect example in the second photo. The second picture for example, has a cyclops that doesn't look the correct size. The top one does.

Does anyone have any references from the Mondani books to see about ExpII dials?

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    In which case I think the OP is comparing his target watch with an imperfect example in the second photo. The second picture for example, has a cyclops that doesn't look the correct size. The top one does.
    Was just using picture 2 as an example for the font situation I was talking about - didn’t pay much attention to much else when choosing that picture. Sorry if that added a bit of confusion:)

Ask yourself this.

If it all goes tits up will you be able to get your money back?

Is it... so cheap/such a good watch/the one you have to have... or could you buy one in the UK from a shop or Watchfinder etc.?

How much do you trust the seller?
    I think even if I have the watch in person I would still have the same questions (as they show many pictures of the watch on Chrono24) - hence wanted to ask on the forum first:) It's just that I'm looking for S series in particular and there aren't that many I can find within the UK. think I will stay away from this one though
    Last edited by tommyzzj; 27th December 2020 at 11:16.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I think people are confusing the pictures, the OP posted image 2 as an example from the web, this one has the small crown but is not the watch the OP is considering, image 1 is the watch.
    Yes indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've taken as look in the David Silver vintage book but all photos are set to 01:50 so the hands block the explorer text.

Nothing wrong with that.

Dials vary lots depending upon where they were manufactured. Around the cyclops is merely fluff and dirt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    Was just using picture 2 as an example for the font situation I was talking about - didn’t pay much attention to much else when choosing that picture. Sorry if that added a bit of confusion:)

I think even if I have the watch in person I would still have the same questions (as they show many pictures of the watch on Chrono24) - hence wanted to ask on the forum first:) It's just that I'm looking for S series in particular and there aren't that many I can find within the UK. think I will stay away from this one though
    I’m not trying to put you off what may be a genuine watch but I’d hate to see anyone make a mistake with that amount of money. Perhaps someone with enough knowledge may offer an opinion on it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    I've owned three of these and I see absolutely nothing wrong with the crown. Looks just perfect.

These always have some variation in the dial print, just like other sports Rolexes.

I see nothing wrong with the watch, either.

Looks just as nice as my white version. Mine is just newer, SEL version.

There's only one thing... in this picture the watch looks like it has different (smaller 1675-type) winding crown than in the other picture (which looks perfect). There should be no gaps between the crown guards and the crow when the crown is screwed in. Is this the same watch?
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f3d2352800.jpg
    The more I look at these the more I want one!

I don’t know a great deal about these things but I’d expect the tritium to be far more creamy on that age of watch and the filling on the 12 o clock marker isn’t what I’d expect either.

Like I said though, I’m certainly no expert.

Looks fine it's not a vintage Matt dial Rolex, If was service dial would more than likely be swiss only at bottom.

Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Laying in the sofa with wifey and nicked hers off her wrist for a quick pic.

This is a U Series so 4-5 years newer and she practically wears it all the time, no need for the dressy YM these days.

Enjoy

Pitch

jalaluddin rumi poems

OP I really don’t think it’s anything to worry about. I bought my 16570 4 years ago and did a lot of comparisons from pictures etc and found that on a lot of dials,the II after explorer extended past the D in date and in a lot of others it didn’t so nothing to worry about

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    The more I look at these the more I want one!
    Nah, you really want one of these.................