closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Music memorabilia

Master

Music memorabilia

It’s my brother’s birthday in January and it’s a significant one so we thought we’d get some him something that he wouldn’t buy himself but would (hopefully) like to have.

Thinking about music memorabilia related to his favourite bands/artists.

So any ideas where to look?

Could be memorabilia or even a special or rare vinyl pressing.

He likes Hendrix; Iron Maiden; The Doors; Pink Floyd - that kind of thing. Budget is about £150.

Cheers

Off the top of my head have a look at
    UK
    rockpopmem.com
    tracks.co.uk
    roughtrade.com
    sisterray.co.uk
    US
    rockaway.com
    recordmecca.com

all are trusted within the industry and sell interesting memorabilia items & vinyl.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    Off the top of my head have a look at
    UK
    rockpopmem.com
    tracks.co.uk
    roughtrade.com
    sisterray.co.uk
    US
    rockaway.com
    recordmecca.com

all are trusted within the industry and sell interesting memorabilia items & vinyl.
    Fabulous! Thanks will have a look...

Speaking as a collector, I can think of a few rare records that would fall within your budget, something like this self-titled Doors album released by DCC in 1992 and mastered by Steve Hoffman, for example:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Doors-Th...elease/2510944

Or you could buy the two Iron Maiden EMI100 releases from 1997 that are about as good as Iron Maiden get on vinyl

https://www.discogs.com/Iron-Maiden-...elease/2479446
    https://www.discogs.com/Iron-Maiden-...elease/3301378

If you open to collectible CDs, I can think of a few more items along with a few other records depedning on what you are thinking. Your budget is a bit low for anything autographed, you would need about £300 and up for a signed Maiden album. If you are buying for long term collectability remember that condition is absolutely everything, buy the best copies you can find within your budget.

https://www.the-masque.com/mainpage.html

This would be a good option as he likes iron maiden

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Speaking as a collector, I can think of a few rare records that would fall within your budget, something like this self-titled Doors album released by DCC in 1992 and mastered by Steve Hoffman, for example:

Or you could buy the two Iron Maiden EMI100 releases from 1997 that are about as good as Iron Maiden get on vinyl

https://www.discogs.com/Iron-Maiden-...elease/2479446
    https://www.discogs.com/Iron-Maiden-...elease/3301378

If you open to collectible CDs, I can think of a few more items along with a few other records depedning on what you are thinking. Your budget is a bit low for anything autographed, you would need about £300 and up for a signed Maiden album. If you are buying for long term collectability remember that condition is absolutely everything, buy the best copies you can find within your budget.
    Thanks. I was thinking of having a browse through Discogs as well.

If I bought some vinyl I’m not sure he’d play it anyway but maybe something that can be framed for etc.

Are there any Hendrix or Pink Floyd vinyls worth considering with display in mind? I think he actually has most of the music on cd etc already but thought this would be a way to get him something special.

I’ll see if I can think of any other bands or artists he likes too.

I know that collectible vinyl is a minefield for the uninitiated (me) so any advice or pointers would be good.

Thanks

I couldn't really say as far as display goes, nothing particularly comes to mind. Anything rare that you might frame will be outisde of budget I suspect. The only records I stick on the wall are signed covers. I am happy to help if you come up with some more artists.

I bought myself the Jimmy Page Anthology book for Christmas it’s superb for any Zeppelin nut. Why not get him a signed copy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Thanks to this post I’ve now started dragging all my vinyl out the garage and spreading all round the lounge because I know I have that Doors album somewhere, I’m now in the process of roughly pricing them up on discogs but I haven’t hit any major gold yet, plenty round the ten and twenty quid mark but I won’t be retiring any time soon. The Mrs doesn’t seem to be enjoying it as much as I am

Good one Micky, I bet before you are done you will hit a gem. Remember condition is everything so take good notice of the sellers gradings when comparing values to your copies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I bought myself the Jimmy Page Anthology book for Christmas it’s superb for any Zeppelin nut. Why not get him a signed copy?

Do you have a link as to where I could get a signed copy?

Blog Entries
    Good one Micky, I bet before you are done you will hit a gem. Remember condition is everything so take good notice of the sellers gradings when comparing values to your copies.
    I seem to have quite a few round 10- £20, a few between 40 - £70 but they are far outnumbered by the 50p - £5.
    One thing I have learnt is that all money I spent on imports, coloured vinl and picture discs would have been better spent on bottles of cider

Possibly slightly left field, but I'm very attached to a magazine I got framed.
    Rolling Stone with a cover date of the very day I was born - bought it from eBay because of the birth date and I liked the cover.
    Massive added bonus, inside there is a very small article on a new up and coming band doing a promo kissing contest to promote their debut album. That band being my favourites - Kiss.
    I have a few other vintage mags with adverts for various albums and tours etc. Maybe something from one of the artists you mentioned was released or included / advertised in one of the music printed press publications of the time?

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Do you have a link as to where I could get a signed copy?
    I can’t believe the price of the signed copies, they are leather bound but the cheapest I found was £880Jimmy uses a stamp these days as well?
    My mate has hundreds of Rock star autographs, he worked for Motorhead for 30 years, they must be worth thousands!
    Good luck with your present search

I can’t believe the price of the signed copies, they are leather bound but the cheapest I found was £880Jimmy uses a stamp these days as well?
    My mate has hundreds of Rock star autographs, he worked for Motorhead for 30 years, they must be worth thousands!

I bet your mate could tell some stories! Motörhead are (were) one of my favourite bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I bet your mate could tell some stories! Motörhead are (were) one of my favourite bands.
    Yes many. I accompanied him at a few gigs, I met Lemmy a few times.
    I spent an evening with Ronnie James Dio another time Motley Crue. All sorts came back stage, from Gary Numan to Debbie Harry. 5th Anniversary of his death today

Yeah RIP Lemmy, I would have loved to have met him. What was he like in person?

Master

Yes I had a look yesterday at the option of a signed copy. That option very quickly wasn’t an option!

At the moment I think I’m going to buy a copy of the Anthology anyway and then supplement it with some other stuff. His birthday is early Jan so running out of time!

Like the idea of the magazine and also very jealous that someone here met Lemmy!

Music memorabilia

Nice as pie, very unassuming. I introduced him to my ex wife (who was German) at a Hanoi Rocks show, she said who is he? I said he’s Lemmy!
    She turned back to Lemmy and said I’m so sorry I don’t know who you are??? Lemmy laughed like a train.
    She also had a run in with Girlschool, but that’s another story

Last edited by wildheart; 29th December 2020 at 00:11.

Please start a thread detailing some of these stories. Perhaps in the Bear Pit so it’s not easily accessible to the wider world! I’m sure many of us would be fascinated.

I met Lemmy on a job, most time was spent with Mikkey Dee but they were both gents and good company.
    Lemmy was quiet and polite, Mikkey was the louder crazy one!

Blog Entries
    Just love this place when threads like this pop up, now going for a fudge in the garage roof....

There is a lot of old 60's up there which were my dads, I know there is an original Please Please Me LP, Srgt Peppers, he was a big Beatles fan but I can remember buying U2"s I Will Follow/Gloria double A side 7" when it was released and long before they made it. My copy has the same I Will Follow label on both sides obviously a mistake. Are these oddballs worth anything??

Pitch

Master
    The only rock star autograph I have is this one but it did come attached to a useful object.

Blog Entries
    I just spent 2 days going through my old vinyl and all the stuff that I thought would be worth something is now worth less than I paid for it 30+ years ago, don't think I can face another 2-3 days finding out how little my CDs are worth.
    I used to buy a lot at record fairs and spent way too much on 'rarities' like imports that seem to be worthless now, the stuff that seems to have done OK is early New Order and Bob Marley, none of my U2 vinyl is worth anything to write home about, same with Prince, Big Country, Led Zep and Simple Minds.
    I seem to be missing an awful lot that I probably lent out and never got back and obviously The Doors album never turned up that started me off on all this malarky, it's all mondie's fault
    Need to get my arse in gear and sell the lot as it's no good stuck in the garage

Thats unlucky Micky, you never know though, if you were buying CD's in the mid 80s into the early 90's some of those could be worth a few quid. Its time consuming to check but useful to know anyway if you are planning to sell.

Definitely worth a rummage through everything, I had a go a couple of years back and was proper surprised at some stuff I had.

Only started when I mentioned to a friend I had the first Motley Crue album going back to 1982 and he suggested looking it up as might be worth a couple of quid. Turns out mine wasnt on the main label Elektra but on their own label, Leathur so was one of the very first copies. Looking at a couple of these that were for sale, they were up at up to £1500, which got my attention!! Whether they get that is another thing but certainly made me look through all my stuff

Malc