closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shark or Dyson?

Master

Shark or Dyson?

Time has come to replace the Dyson cordless vacuum we’ve had for a few years. We have had to replace the original motorised head due to the motor clapping out - mainly because of hair getting wrapped around it. The head was replaced FOC by Dyson as it was still under warranty at the time.

Anyway, now if only runs for a few secs before stopping so we need to get another.

The Shark ones seem to get good reviews and advertise the anti hair wrap which would be really good for us.

My wife and daughter both have long hair so I blame them. It really gets into the carpets. We have hard floors downstairs and carpets upstairs.

Anyway, any experience of going from one to the other or strong opinions (based on usage) of either??
    Last edited by bambam; 26th December 2020 at 22:53.

We use Shark. I recommended it to some relatives and all think they are brilliant.
    Seen very well made and well thought out.

Master
    No experience of the Shark, but would buy another Dyson cordless with no hesitation, it's just so convenient that I now do most of the vacuuming

BTW. you can buy replacement batteries and parts. https://www.dyson.co.uk/vacuum-clean...cement-battery

or cheap batteries on ebay.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I’d go for Shark.

We’ve had a couple of Dysons in the past and although they have been great initially we’ve always found that they’ve become less effective through use over a relatively short space of time. Plus we’ve not been that impressed with the robustness & reliability of them. Both the ones we have had broke more than once.

The Shark,on the other hand,has remained very effective and the build quality & reliability seems much better.

This is based on a house with 2 young kids (although they are a bit older now!) and so the machines saw lots of use.

Never had a Dyson but I'm impressed with the Shark I have. Great suction hoovers up anything and everything but most of all I got a 5 year warranty so I'm not worried if things go wrong. 1 year trouble free so far.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Can only speak about the Shark. Parents have this and I borrowed it for the day and ended up buying one. Great bit of kit.
    I also have a corded Dyson Ball and this has been resigned to cupboard as we don’t tend to use this anymore.

My only gripe with the Shark is how the hair gets wrapped around the roller, however I do believe this has been addressed in the lasted revision.

B

Master
    Definitely a shark
    All our family have one

Journeyman
    I had the same dilemma not so long ago, we went for a refurbished Dyson on eBay keep on eye out for 20% off offers which meant we got a v10 cordless for £280. can’t complain so far with a dog and 2 females as well as me. But I don’t shed as much as the others.

Master
    Love our Dyson’s we have several across the homes and find them great. Have not used a shark so can’t comment. Warrenty has been great when needed and I would not hesitate to buy again.

Question crops up regularly, to summarise: -

Shark owners like Sharks.

Dyson owners like Dysons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Question crops up regularly, to summarise: -

Shark owners like Sharks.

Dyson owners like Dysons.
    I had a dyson and replaced it with a shark because the deal was good - the shark was better.

Dyson's Brexit views and latter hypocrisy, means his company will never get a penny of my money.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Shark > Dyson

Shark or Dyson?

I could have predicted this.

Nevertheless 5 more pages of Shark owners saying how good their Shark is, and Dyson owners saying how good their Dyson is, is further predicted by me.

At least it is not a car thread. Thankful for small mercies.

Gave up on Dyson, rechargeables etc and bought a Henry. Frankly it’s brilliant, does the job with loads of suction and hoovering the house is a much quicker. The fact it’s British made and £150 makes it even more satisfying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Just moved house and carpet pile is quite long. Our Dyson (mains powered) is almost impossible to push as suction is too much. Do any have variable suction? Downstairs is all hard floors so not a problem

Shark. Every Dyson product we've had has been vastly overpriced for what it is with none of them performing any better than other brands.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Shark. Every Dyson product we've had has been vastly overpriced for what it is with none of them performing any better than other brands.

Yep, I'll go with this or rather my Mrs will. She's gone through 3 different Dyson's over the years but rates the Shark better, so much so, I'm not allowed to use it, winner!

We’ve had a shark for about 4 months and have to say it’s brilliant.

We replaced our Dyson with a Shark and wouldn’t go back. Both handheld rechargeable.

The Dyson was good though it needed a LOT of maintenance - it seemed to get clogged with dirt very easily and the disassembly process was a right faff.

The Shark is better though heavier.

We have a Miele Triflex which I have been really impressed with, if you want an alternative to either of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Gave up on Dyson, rechargeables etc and bought a Henry. Frankly it’s brilliant, does the job with loads of suction and hoovering the house is a much quicker. The fact it’s British made and £150 makes it even more satisfying!

This is the comment that’s not allowed on these threads, but I agree with it 100%.

Shark - more bite for your money

No brainier

Master
    Had a Dyson and it didn’t last long enough. Now have a Shark which has been great, plus a Henry for heavy duty work. Oh and a Eufy RoboVac which has vastly exceeded my expectations.
    Last edited by benny.c; 26th December 2020 at 21:09.

Had a dyson v10 which was used everyday for the past 2 years (2 dogs) without issue until the lad dropped it and smashed a hole in the side. It was about to be sent off for service as well which was a bit of a gutter. Before Xmas the wife spent hours researching all the battery hoovers, Miele, Hoover, Dyson and shark.
    The Dyson had the largest dust box and they all had similar battery life.
    We went up to currys to check them all out and the sharks just felt naff, the hoovers were just awful, the Miele was massively heavy and chunky, and pricey.
    The biggest difference was with pick up, most of them were full of crud which we emptied on the floor and sucked up- by far the Dyson v11 animal was better than everything so that was what we went for.

Shark are a clunky pile of poo compared to the Dyson. No competition, we deviated from Dyson last time and now we have returned with a V11 Animal.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I need a new vac and have just spent the last 90mins or so watching review videos on YT. I still don't think I'm much the wiser.

The TV tonight is dire so I'll probably watch a few more...

Miele for proper corded cleaning. Few things this side of commercial kit compare.

I’ve just today ordered a GTech Pro 2 to sit alongside it for cordless convenience cleaning. I love the fact it’s bagged so I don’t have to mess about cleaning filters to make it work effectively, nor get covered and inhale dust from it every time it’s full. Time will tell if it was a good choice...

Dysons always seem disappointing and don’t last as long as they should. No experience with Shark.

Craftsman
    I’m a long term Dyson customer and the customer service has always been outstanding. Any issues/replacement parts required always sorted very quickly. Can’t recommend the company enough.
    Last edited by MTM84; 26th December 2020 at 23:28.

Have you tried replacing the battery. It’s a serviceable item and replacements can be bought from Amazon/EBay. It’ll give your Dyson a new lease of life.

Master
    Are any of the battery vacuum cleaners good enough for a whole house clean yet? We need to replace our Miele canister corded one and have been weighing up the options. We already have a Dyson v8 which we use for small daily cleanup on the hard floors downstairs but it’s nothing like good enough battery life or cleaning for the whole house. It’s 210sqm over 3 floors / 6 different levels so something light and portable would be good

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've got a corded Miele upright, a wet'n'dry shopvac, and a Dyson V10 (and a dog and two cats). The Dyson is great for everyday clean ups and quick jobs, but the battery wouldn't last long enough for a proper whole house clean. I only have carpet in two bedrooms, and on the stairs. It's not brilliant with 'larger' things like leaves, but is simple to unclog.

The Miele's built like a tank, and weighs almost as much. The Dyson's built like an Airfix tank. I'm pretty sure the Dyson cost more than the Miele. The Dyson didn't come with any sort of flexible hose, so it's pretty much useless for car cleaning, unless I stump up the £25 to buy one.

In summary, the Dyson's expensive, does a good job for everyday light cleaning, and is easy to use. Don't play football with it; it will break. Don't play football with a Miele either; it will break your foot.

Master
    Thanks all.

It’s the motorhead on ours which has gone - only spins for a few secs then stops. The other heads are fine with it.
    So prompted by one of the earlier posts, I’ve seen that a new head is about £60 so initially I think I’ll just do that.

Good tip to keep an eye out for one of those EBay deals too. That way I don’t need to rush out and get something straight away and can wait for a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    Are any of the battery vacuum cleaners good enough for a whole house clean yet? We need to replace our Miele canister corded one and have been weighing up the options. We already have a Dyson v8 which we use for small daily cleanup on the hard floors downstairs but it’s nothing like good enough battery life or cleaning for the whole house. It’s 210sqm over 3 floors / 6 different levels so something light and portable would be good
    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes, the V11 has 3 power settings. If you go flat out you’ll get about 15 minutes, medium is about 23 minutes and eco is about 50 minutes. You have a real-time count down timer on the front which is helpful. We do the living rooms / study carpets flat out, the stone floors, kitchen, utility and cloakroom on eco and the other 4 bedrooms, 2 sets of stairs on medium.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 26th December 2020 at 23:03.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    We have a Miele Triflex which I have been really impressed with, if you want an alternative to either of the above.
    This. Recently went from Dyson v8 to Miele Triflex cat and dog....

my sister is obssesed with hoovering 7 days a week and has half a dozen dogs and cats.

both brands regularly break down with her but the Dyson warranty is better, they send out a man quickly who inspects it and then gives her a new one or refurbished one.

the toughest hoovers in my experience are the corded hendry types, easiest to repar and get cheap cloned parts for the dyson dc07 and best quality the Kirby brand. i still have a Kirby from the early 1990`s

We have had Dyson cordless uprights for years, the last one had to have two new brush heads as totally worn out and a generic battery (I should have bought a Dyson battery) when the generic battery gave up after a year my wife said she would like to try a Shark cordless because in the adds it looked good so we got one.

The Shark had nice LED lights on the brush head and that was the only thing we liked about it, everything seemed a faff when using it even down to storage after use.

Two weeks after buying it we bought a new Dyson and put the Shark in the attic for if any of the family need one quick.

For us the Dyson wins hands down over the Shark.

Master
    Dyson, don’t get the V6/7 you need V8 or above.
    The warranty swings it for me they don’t quibble just post out the new parts for any worn parts.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Has anybody noticed the repeated references to the excellent Dyson warranty whereby they keep replacing parts,or even whole machines,when they keep breaking?

Has anybody noticed that this seems to point to Dyson having poor build quality and reliability? And that Dyson are so good at fixing/replacing parts because they have so much practice at it?

I had a Shark lift away for 5 weeks, till it broke. It was heavy and very loud. My partner hated it. Changed it for a cordless Hoover no comparison the Hoover is much better all round, though we do have a Dyson as well. Shark are over Hyped and Way too expensive IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Has anybody noticed the repeated references to the excellent Dyson warranty whereby they keep replacing parts,or even whole machines,when they keep breaking?

Has anybody noticed that this seems to point to Dyson having poor build quality and reliability? And that Dyson are so good at fixing/replacing parts because they have so much practice at it?

To be fair I have replaced many parts, some purely due to warranty expiring that way get another few years out of them ;)

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    Not a proper answer but perhaps another way of looking at it. I have two of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K8S68IC/ which I bought when they were on sale 4 years ago for £100. The only negative reviews at the time were all about issues with the battery failing after a few months and needing an in-warranty repair. So I thought for that price, I can just buy two and if one needs to go off for repair, I still have a spare. It's also very handy if one battery runs out, I can use the other one while it's charging. I have a small flat so this is really overkill but it works very well. This allowed me to get rid of my corded vacuum, which took up more space than the two of these combined.

So my suggestion would be to look for something similar on offer, especially now we're into sale season there might be some good offers around on less well-known but also good vacuums. If you have 3 floors, just buy one for each floor, rather than looking for something with an impracticably large battery.

I also like Bosch in general, their stuff tends to be well engineered: simple and robust. I see there are still a few negative reviews of that model, but without knowing what % of units have had faults, all I can say is mine have been excellent over 4 years of ownership. My old corded vacuum which I really didn't want to let go of, but now do not miss, was an LG. Another brand I like as they tend to over-deliver for the price. Until quite recently they were not well known and seen as "cheap", despite being one of the main manufacturer of things for other companies. Hence often provided exceptional VFM. The LG (cylinder) I had was far better than the equivalent Dyson.

I own a small handheld Dyson and have previously owned an upright, both have been exceptionally unreliable. Based on this thread I'm considering a Shark to replace that handheld if/when it stops working entirely (it may be hard to tell, it's only ever worked intermittently for most of the time I've owned it, although of course it did work pretty well while it was still in warranty).

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Time has come to replace the Dyson cordless vacuum we’ve had for a few years. ... Anyway, now if only runs for a few secs before stopping so we need to get another.
    This sounds like the same problem I have with mine and it's a very common fault on handheld Dysons because of the way the battery is designed. It may have been fixed on some of the newer models, I'm not sure, but an extremely simple fix is detailed here:

http://taner-riffat.blogspot.com/201...r-problem.html

In my case despite identical symptoms, what fixed it was not this but cleaning the contacts on the battery and inside the handle (with some isopropanol on cotton buds), which probably oxidised more than they should because of poor contact. That got it back to working reliably for the last couple of years although annoyingly it does the same random cutout when the battery is low (but of course it does not have a battery level or charge status indicator) and it's been getting a bit worse recently. As someone else mentioned, lithium ion batteries don't last forever, so another possibility is to replace the battery pack, which may be what mine needs next if another clean doesn't do it.

Ordered the Shark when our Dyson packed up (after a good innings to be fair), as it had really good reviews.

It was very good but we found it was scratching our hard floors, so I sent it back and ordered a Dyson V11 Absolute, which is brilliant.

I had a couple of Dysons that both lasted for a good long while. I recently changed to a Shark and find it better.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    We have only had Dyson, currently a v6 and a v10 which have been great.

Cannot compare to any of the other cordless vacs but am more than happy with what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I could have predicted this.

Nevertheless 5 more pages of Shark owners saying how good their Shark is, and Dyson owners saying how good their Dyson is, is further predicted by me.

At least it is not a car thread. Thankful for small mercies.
    Not so! Had lots of Dysons last one didnt last as well as previous models so went for a Shark anti hair wrap and wouldn’t go back to Dyson in a hurry!

Anyone uses an AEG?

They seem to be on Mrs SJ's list (CX7)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

AEG are an Electrolux brand these days.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    AEG are an Electrolux brand these days.
    Indeed. So much so that the one she saw in France WAS an Electrolux, and I had to play Clouseau to find the equivalent here....
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.