closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shark or Dyson?

Edited: deleted as ‘tis the season of goodwill so we probably don’t want another thread invoking Brexit!
    Last edited by Kirk280; 27th December 2020 at 21:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Indeed. So much so that the one she saw in France WAS an Electrolux, and I had to play Clouseau to find the equivalent here....
    My Mother has AEG/Electrolux (not sure which TBH) and it’s appalling.

Shark or Dyson?

Another vote for Henry, but then we’re not brand snobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I had a dyson and replaced it with a shark because the deal was good - the shark was better.
    Same here. All family members have now also replaced their Dysons with Sharks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Another vote for Henry, but then we’re not brand snobs.
    Tell me since when was did a Henry become cordless

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Don't know whether those that have recommended a Henry have the cordless model however they do exist - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/home-a...54429-pdt.html

Shark or Dyson?

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    2017 I believe .
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 28th December 2020 at 08:26.

Master
    We have a corded Henry for when we have the workman in; I can’t believe they do cordless ones. Ordering one now I love TZ threads like this.

After 15+ years with Dyson (DC01 then DC07), my wife was finding the Dyson DC07 very heavy to lug around due to her osteo-arthritis.

She opted for the Shark upright, which is significantly lighter and appears to work well.

After 10 months of daily use, the Shark base plate cracked where the handle joins the base plate.
    The wand would not stay in the vertical position, which was annoying.

I phoned the Shark 0800 service number at 1000 on Christmas eve (Thursday), and a full replacement arrived yesterday (Sunday) by courier.

Impressive service, but as commented above, a major fault after 10 months is not encouraging.

I should point out that our Dyson DC07 was a 'trigger's broom' - the base plate, wand, hose x3 and motor were replaced within the 5 year warranty period.
    Last edited by W124; 28th December 2020 at 10:08.

Master
    I don’t understand the number of people who manage to break their Dysons, what on earth are you doing with them?

We have had a Dyson for the last 20 years and never had anything go wrong with any of them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Don't know whether those that have recommended a Henry have the cordless model however they do exist - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/home-a...54429-pdt.html
    Everyday's a school day

Master
    Blog Entries
    Vax Blade 4 better then Shark and Dyson

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I don’t understand the number of people who manage to break their Dysons, what on earth are you doing with them?

We have had a Dyson for the last 20 years and never had anything go wrong with any of them.
    I believe Dyson were very well made originally but they have since moved production out of the UK (shouldn't really affect anything apart from cost of manufacturing I guess) but also the quality of materials has declined. As with most things these days, they're all built to a price point where quality is lacking over previous versions / years.

Ive had 3 dysons and have seen a decline in quality of the plastics.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I tried a cordless Henry and whilst I liked the idea, it’s was nothing like a corded version.

B

Craftsman
    I recently replaced a 10yr old Dyson animal with a Shark corded stick one. Very impressed so far.

Blog Entries
    This thread made me take a look (online) at the Shark range - for anyone interested they seem to have a sale on at the moment with upto 50% off on some models.

FWIW my only experience of either brand, is a Dyson DC01 years ago - it was good but heavy and I had to keep replacing parts.

Incidentally, my wife and I still have the first vacuum we bought when we moved in together 25 years ago (arrrhhh, I hear you say), a Hitachi bagged model, which is still going strong - and you can still buy bags for it today! We gone through many others vacuums in the mean time - though we're not ones to spend upwards of £300 or so in a "Hoover".

I have a friend who bought a £1.7k vacuum cleaner, can't remember the brand but swears by it. Horses for courses....

Can't comment on the Shark but have to say the Dyson (V10) has been disappointing.

Returned twice for warranty repairs and others have said it's a bit of a faff in terms of cleaning and emptying.

Also feels really cheap for a £500 vaccuum cleaner. I know it needs to light as a handheld device but overall feels like a success for marketing over quality/ability.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Looked at reviews and recommendations for both and decided to get a Vax ONEPWR Blade 4 - battery hasn't charged yet so can't give a review...but it all fits together well :)

Blog Entries
    So …. Do we have a winner yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    I have a friend who bought a £1.7k vacuum cleaner, can't remember the brand but swears by it. Horses for courses....
    Probably a KIRBY? I worked as a saleaman for them for about three months in the early 90's. Outstanding pieces of kit, but D to D selling a vacuum cleaner at £874 (at the time) a pop was not very successful

Journeyman
    We switched to Shark from Dyson about 12months ago now and can't fault it at all.

Would definitely recommend the Shark to anyone.

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post

A big house, three teenage children and two large dogs - the vac is used at least once a day, every day.

Maybe we are at the higher end of the usage scale, but certainly not exceptional.

Craftsman
    replaced our aged Dyson corded job with a cordless V10.

My only gripe is when cleaning the car/s (not a common occurrence) I find it hard to get into all nooks and crannies. On the plus side the motorised heads - large and small are brilliant and getting tangled hair etc out of them is a breeze as the head removes from one end.

Since this thread is as close to Mumsnet as I'll ever go, any thoughts on Tineco (A11 Hero, for example)?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Since this thread is as close to Mumsnet as I'll ever go, any thoughts on Tineco (A11 Hero, for example)?
    After going round and round in circles I've literally just ordered an A11 Master from Amazon, they have a £55 discount voucher valid up to and including tomorrow bringing the price down a decent chunk.

A chose the A11 Master over the A11 Hero simply due to the increased number of tools that comes with it, particularly the hard floor motorised head (coupled with the already supplied regular motorised brushed head) as it would be ideal for my hard and carpeted floors - the A11 range also gets some really good YT video reviews compared to other brands in terms of battery power, suction, head efficiency and so on. I'm used to one of the cheaper Dysons which occasionally cuts out for no apparent reason, the battery life isn't what it used to be and I'm sure that the suction isn't quite the same either despite trouble shooting each issue.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Looked at reviews and recommendations for both and decided to get a Vax ONEPWR Blade 4 - battery hasn't charged yet so can't give a review...but it all fits together well :)
    One of the best decisions you have ever made

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No experience of them and had to look them up and was shocked to see thats its just a clone of the Dyson albeit cheaper.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Two pages and nearly 80 posts and not one mention of the correct answer MX5, this place is slipping...

The other correct answer is Sebo obviously...

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but we've just had a really poor experience with Dyson

About 5 years ago we bought an Dyson Ball Animal corded upright. It did a good job, but failed after about 14 months. Dyson replaced the machine with a similar model that also worked pretty well until about a month ago.

The switch on failed. The machine would turn on, but not stay on for more than a few seconds.

We reported it to Dyson who confirmed the machine was still under warranty but could not take it in for inspection / repair for over 2 weeks.

They had the machine for a further 2 weeks. A few days ago I had 2 emails within 4 minutes of each other. The first said they would replace the machine. The second said the machine could not be repaired and as it was out of warranty we'd have to pay for either a new or a refurbished replacement, albeit at a discounted price. The 2nd email did not say that the first had been sent in error.

I responded to both emails the same day pointing out that the machine was in warranty & accepting the offer of a replacement.

Today (4 days later) I got a call saying that as the fault was a result of water ingress they would not replace our machine. It's never been near any water. They are telling lies to avoid honouring the warranty.

They have offered me 25% off a new vacuum - not applicable in conjunction with other offers, but I'm disinclined to give more money to a firm that tells lies.

Checking on Trust Pilot, Dyson's current score is 3.4 & Shark's is 4.4.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

After that you'll be mad to stay loyal and that blokes got enough ££ for 100 lifetimes.

Shark for the win.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

It is like the royal family in my Mums house. She is always telling me how she loves her Shark, lol.

I do not buy Dyson anything full stop.
    I have a corded Sebo and a Miele triflex and have been pleased with them both.

I really liked the early Dysons. The quality seemed good and they were very practical to use. But I am now using a Shark which does the job fine - my only gripe is that the head, on the model I have anyway, has a small footprint and it's very easy to pull the whole machine over when using the extension tube. Have 'thumped' myself no end of times using it!

We had a Dyson and swapped for a vax cordless. So much better. We had a German Shepherd and it picked up everything. You push a button to start which was so much better than the Dyson where you have to hold the trigger down. Can’t fault it

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    We had a German Shepherd and it picked up everything.
    Wow, hadn't thought of that option. How often did it need emptying?
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Wow, hadn't thought of that option. How often did it need emptying?
    Well spotted. ROFL.

Master
    We bought a shark in France around 3 years ago - the flexology (bendy hinge bit) was never used, but somehow it has now broken. Shark uk have washed their hands of the problem and have told us to return it to shark france............... yeah right. The costs and the red tape involved make that a complete non starter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    We bought a shark in France around 3 years ago - the flexology (bendy hinge bit) was never used, but somehow it has now broken. Shark uk have washed their hands of the problem and have told us to return it to shark france............... yeah right. The costs and the red tape involved make that a complete non starter.
    If that’s where you bought it then that’s fair enough.

Their UK service (both Shark and Ninja) have been spot on for me and family. The head on my sons broke (hose split) and they sent a new one by return under the five year guarantee.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    If that’s where you bought it then that’s fair enough.

Their UK service (both Shark and Ninja) have been spot on for me and family. The head on my sons broke (hose split) and they sent a new one by return under the five year guarantee.
    That's not quite the way I see it.

Apart from the plug it is the same as a UK model, and would probably have been made in the same factory, and owned by the same company. So my take on it is that I bought a Shark item with a 5 year guarantee - and they have not honoured it. The part that broke (the knee joint for want of a better description) would probably cost them a couple of quid.

I wouldn't buy one of their products again. So it'll be Shark (wherever they operate in the world) who have now lost a customer.
    Last edited by catflem; 14th February 2024 at 18:04.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've used a few sharks. I don't think they are that great. Had a few Vax and they were Garbage. Have a Dyson upstairs which is about 15 years old still going. Have a Dyson V11 downstairs which performs great for a cordless .

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    That's not quite the way I see it.

Apart from the plug it is the same as a UK model, and would probably have been made in the same factory, and owned by the same company. So my take on it is that I bought a Shark item with a 5 year guarantee - and they have not honoured it. The part that broke (the knee joint for want of a better description) would probably cost them a couple of quid.

I wouldn't buy one of their products again. So it'll be Shark (wherever they operate in the world) who have now lost a customer.
    Have you called the French Shark Customer service? Considering the circumstances they might have a word with their English counterparts to deal with the issue and avoid the red tape nightmare.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Went for a Shark a couple of years ago - it was pretty poor TBH in terms of construction and use. Ended up back with a Dyson which is now 4 years old and working without issues.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Used to have a Dyson. It’s in the garage now to just do the car and the Shark does the house.
    I’d have the shark every time

Anyone tried the Henry cordless ??

Master
    Have you called the French Shark Customer service? Considering the circumstances they might have a word with their English counterparts to deal with the issue and avoid the red tape nightmare.
    To be honest, I was so annoyed by Shark UK's shoulder sloping, and my wife complaining that she'd have to be without a vacuum for weeks - I immediately set about doing a bodge repair using epoxy. So I've probably invalidated the warranty.

I decided on buying a shark because of their 5 year warranty, and purchased it directly from Shark themselves (albeit their French subsiduary). It's very short sighted of Shark uk to refuse to honour the guarantee because they will be the supplier that have lost any chance of selling any more of their products to me in the future.

Master
    This thread goes the way of all such similar ones.

Dysons are great. Dysons are rubbish
    Sharks are great. Sharks are rubbish.
    Vaxes are great. Vaxes are rubbish.

Have we tried Gtech yet?

Sebo & Miele are great by the way.

Just to add my 2p.

I’ve had both and in all honesty they are both the same really

Both need cleaning and filters changing. The best thing I did living with 3 girls is get an anti hair tangle shark. But Dyson to this too

So pic the one you want at the price you can afford and your sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post

Have we tried Gtech yet?
    They are rubbish.......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Had a few dysons but found the quality of plastics to be lower each time and pretty brittle. Went with a sebo x7 pet and while heavy it is very good

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Anyone tried the Henry cordless ??
    Yes we have one. It works fine. Our first cordless so nothing to compare it to. Before we had an original Henry, which has lasted for ever (she’s tried killing him in many ways, amazingly he still lives), but is now seen as heavy and awkward.
    Cordless Henry was picked because it did well in some review, maybe Which?
    Only downside is we have to buy the pod filter things for it, an ongoing (minor) cost.