closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Candles on Commonwealth war graves. Christmas Eve Tradition

Blog Entries

Candles on Commonwealth war graves. Christmas Eve Tradition

I've written about this Dutch tradition in the past. And now, with Covid going on, the people who are behind this, have come up with a Covid-proof version. One of my former pupils' mother is chairwoman for the foundation responsible for maintaining and spreading this tradition.

It's a good tradition that Dutch locals lit candles and put them in front of Commonwealth war graves on Christmas Eve. It started arout 30 yrs ago. Over the years, it has become bigger and bigger. It started in Holten, a small, rural and idyllic town in the County Twenthe (30 miles east from where I live) and it has spread across the country - to every town and village where there are allied WWII war graves.

Normally this is done around (local time) 8PM, but now with the lockdown rules, there was a change of plan. The candles were lit by local soccer team members Under 13. Lockdown rules for youngsters are not that strict. And it was done around dusk: 5PM. No bag pipes playing this year, only an ancient traditional instrument, typically for Twenthe: a Mid Winter Horn. (More info on that here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwinter_horn ).

Again, it's custom for the people in the village of Holten to come to the cemetery for this ceremony. Instead, the local folks have decided to put a burning candle on the doorstep of every house in the village. To emphasize the relation between the village as 'caretaker' of the cemetery.

Menno

EDIT: here's a FB page of this tradition: in this case, lighting candles on the Airborne Cemetery in Oosterbeek, near Arnhem (Market Garden). Pics tell more than 1000 words. The cemetery is across the street where the allied Airborne HQ was located during those days in September '44.

https://www.facebook.com/LichtjesAirborneOosterbeek/

Last edited by thieuster; 25th December 2020 at 08:25.

That’s lovely to read.
    I wish we did similar over here.

I became aware of this Dutch tradition a few years ago - utterly brilliant.

Craftsman
    This is a lovely tradition which like others have said, we should do here.
    There is a war graves cemetery not far from here. I might pop down with some candles tomorrow if I can nick some off the Mrs.
    It will give me a bit of peace in an otherwise mad day.

That is such a lovely tradition - thank you for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently it is a Finnish tradition that the Dutch have made their own...link. Quite something to read about and reflect upon.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s made my night, and really is what this is all about.

Amazing stuff.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Really grateful for your posting this; absolutely splendid.

That's a very moving sight.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

That's incredible. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

What a beautiful tribute.

Thanks for posting.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

That is simply beautiful, and such a moving tribute to those that gave their today for our tomorrow.

Today always makes me think of friends that gave the ultimate sacrifice, and I always have a dream for them later.

Sent from my HD1910 using Tapatalk

That's a wonderful thing to do.

Hello

Merry Christmas to all and thank you to the Dutch people for this incredible act of kindness.....

Blog Entries
    Bob (PickleB) showed us here that the tradition started with a single initiative.

The last 12 years we spent the Christmas holiday abroad, but I'd set my mind to it to participate in the first year at home. Early this year, I already knew we would stay at home this Christmas this year, so my plan to participate took shape, enhanced by the fact that I spoke with the (prementioned) parent of my former pupil. In fact, I wrote it in the household agenda, back in January: December 24th 'Holten'. Then came Covid... So, it stays on my to-do list. Whenever possible.

Thinking about it made me wonder if it's not possible to start something in the UK with the power of a forum like this. Surely, people here have connections with veteran groups, councils, cemetery officials, your local MP etc (who else do you need?) Why not take a year to start this in the UK in '21?

Menno

Thats so nice and respectable, my dad said the Dutch he met and lodged with during the War were some of the nicest people he met during that time.

It has spread to at least one UK CWGC cemetery, that at Thornaby, see link.

Edit And the The Czechoslovakian Military Cemetery at Brookwood...link.
    Last edited by PickleB; 25th December 2020 at 14:11.