closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sales Corner post Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    The related subjects of VAT leakage and double charging often see theory and real life diverge.

It’s likely that airport customs officers will become a lot busier processing VAT refunds on personal exports and of course VAT payments on personal imports in both directions between Britain and the EU. Unless some common sense prevails of course...
    You say common sense, I say airport customs officers just throw in the towel
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    The related subjects of VAT leakage and double charging often see theory and real life diverge.

It’s likely that airport customs officers will become a lot busier processing VAT refunds on personal exports and of course VAT payments on personal imports in both directions between Britain and the EU. Unless some common sense prevails of course...
    With effect from 1st January claiming VAT refunds at the airport ceases. The only way to reclaim the VAT will be for the store to post items directly to overseas address. So, customs officers won't be as busy as we think (maybe). This from Gov.UK site:-

"VAT Retail Export Scheme

As part of these changes, VAT refunds for overseas visitors in British shops will be removed. Overseas visitors will still be able to buy items VAT-free in store and have them sent direct to their overseas addresses, while the costly system of claiming VAT refunds on items they take home in their luggage will be ended."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/duty-free-extended-to-the-eu-from-january-2021

This of course is going to work both ways, I purchased an bonklip strap from France a few weeks back before this mess kicks in. There is not a chance in hell I will be buying from the EU for a good while until its actually clear what will happen, there are a few watches I have in mind for 2021 Stowa and Guinand spring to mind and both remove VAT from non EU purchases so I will wait and let the dust settle first.

Likewise if UK businesses think they are suddenly going to get a rush of customers ready and willing to roll over to whatever prices are offered to them I think they may be in for a big shock. I dont think people seem to realise that this isnt the 1970s we have this thing called the internet where customers can easily compare prices.

I predict a lot of mess to achieve little.

Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post
    As part of these changes, VAT refunds for overseas visitors in British shops will be removed.
    It's not clear (to me) whether this applies to all shops, or just to ones which are airside at airports.

If it's the former (which it seems to be), then I expect that this will have a huge impact on places like Bicester Village.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Likewise if UK businesses think they are suddenly going to get a rush of customers ready and willing to roll over to whatever prices are offered to them I think they may be in for a big shock. I dont think people seem to realise that this isnt the 1970s we have this thing called the internet where customers can easily compare prices.

I predict a lot of mess to achieve little.
    I find quite a lot of UK businesses are well priced and competitive compared to those abroad.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    It's not clear (to me) whether this applies to all shops, or just to ones which are airside at airports.

If it's the former (which it seems to be), then I expect that this will have a huge impact on places like Bicester Village.
    What's unclear about "VAT refunds for overseas visitors in British shops will be removed"?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I find quite a lot of UK businesses are well priced and competitive compared to those abroad.
    There are at least two German dealers who are cheaper than the UK. Iguana Sell are in Spain and much cheaper than UK dealers for pens and other stuff so thats three off the list for a while.

Be interesting re steinhart for example. You can buy from Germany direct or from chronomaster which is their U.K. distributor - curious how that’ll pan out

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    What's unclear about "VAT refunds for overseas visitors in British shops will be removed"?
    Because it is in a section of the web site which primarily deals with airports, it is not completely clear whether the scope of the statement is "shops in airports" or "all shops". Also, as this information was published in September, it is possible that the Trade Deal may have amended it, but I will admit to not having read all 1200+ pages of that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Be interesting re steinhart for example. You can buy from Germany direct or from chronomaster which is their U.K. distributor - curious how that’ll pan out
    At the moment it seems Chronomaster is a bit cheaper

Blog Entries
    Because it is in a section of the web site which primarily deals with airports, it is not completely clear whether the scope of the statement is "shops in airports" or "all shops". Also, as this information was published in September, it is possible that the Trade Deal may have amended it, but I will admit to not having read all 1200+ pages of that yet.
    Bit early to be making assumptions then, based on what is quite possibly the wrong information.

Blog Entries
    There are at least two German dealers who are cheaper than the UK. Iguana Sell are in Spain and much cheaper than UK dealers for pens and other stuff so thats three off the list for a while.
    Interesting, who are the dealers?

Bit early to be making assumptions then, based on what is quite possibly the wrong information.
    Yep, you're absolutely right. I'm sure that you must therefore also share my feelings that if only we had elected a competent government and Prime Minister who had actually provided up-to-date advice long in advance of 31st December, then both businesses and consumers would have a much better understanding of, and be much better placed to deal with, the consequences.

At the moment it seems Chronomaster is a bit cheaper
    And it is likely to stay that way. It would be unusual for the manufacturer to undercut his foreign distributors by selling cheaper direct.

Interesting, who are the dealers?
    Well I already mentioned Iguana Sell in Spain, Watch Deal KG are in Germany which is another that springs to mind. Iguana Sell pens are considerably cheaper than UK dealers not to mention they sell a lot of Japanese pens. They are also an authorised watch dealer and brands like Eberhardt, Ball etc are much better priced.

There are plenty of German and French dealers who sell 3rd party on Amazon too.

Did you think I was lying or something?

Blog Entries
    Yep, you're absolutely right. I'm sure that you must therefore also share my feelings that if only we had elected a competent government and Prime Minister who had actually provided up-to-date advice long in advance of 31st December, then both businesses and consumers would have a much better understanding of, and be much better placed to deal with, the consequences.
    How could they provide details until they were agreed?

I think you will find that HMG has been trying to put a deal in place for months, yet once again the EU didn’t agree until the 12 hour.

Just as they have done previously with everything and just as it was predicted it would happen years ago.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Well I already mentioned Iguana Sell in Spain, Watch Deal KG are in Germany which is another that springs to mind. Iguana Sell pens are considerably cheaper than UK dealers not to mention they sell a lot of Japanese pens. They are also an authorised watch dealer and brands like Eberhardt, Ball etc are much better priced.

There are plenty of German and French dealers who sell 3rd party on Amazon too.

Did you think I was lying or something?
    No but you said there were "at least two German dealers who are cheaper than the UK", inferring you knew who they were, as well as a company that sells pens. So I thought I'd take a look at their cheap prices. Why did you only tell me one of the German dealers who are cheaper than the UK that "springs to mind", I thought you already had two in mind?

Can I just check, because I am not an economist or tax advisor, that after Jan 1st I will have to pay charges on anything I buy from the EU with a value above £390?

Is that correct?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Looks like i've just been royally screwed then. I bought a watch off a German eBay seller on 17th December. Paid him immediately.
    He shipped it on 18th December by DHL parcel. I was hoping it might arrive in time for Christmas. It didn't.
    Instead it was returned to the seller on 24th December, because Brexit negotiations hadn't been finalized.

https://www.dhl.com/global-en/home/t...=CY210665204DE

I've asked him to re-send it. Will I have any recourse to claim back the VAT ?
    TNT have told us anything with a shipping date of 31/12 is deemed as having been exported under the old rules even if it gets held up. So if he reships you should still be OK I think.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Can I just check, because I am not an economist or tax advisor, that after Jan 1st I will have to pay charges on anything I buy from the EU with a value above £390?

Is that correct?
    You will probably have to pay VAT on import of anything you do not personally carry back from the EU. As a business you would of course be able to have items shipped without EU VAT and pay the UK VAT on import (plus associated clearance fees). As a private individual, returning from holiday, I would expect the 390 will apply as it does now from RoW. I would also expect you could reclaim the VAT paid at the airport as again you often can now.

Mail order from non VAT registered EU people will be a problem as will have to pay UK VAT and clearance fees and they will be unable to ship to you EU VAT free.

No but you said there were "at least two German dealers who are cheaper than the UK", inferring you knew who they were, as well as a company that sells pens. So I thought I'd take a look at their cheap prices. Why did you only tell me one of the German dealers who are cheaper than the UK that "springs to mind", I thought you already had two in mind?
    Seriously?

Yep. Don't forget the Royal Mail Ransom fee... it's going to be a real boon for the Post Office income charging the handling fee for ALL items being sent to the UK, no more hoping an incoming parcel "slips under the radar" as anything not sent via a courier is going through the RM system.

Blog Entries

Is that correct?
    Most products have zero tarrifs since that was a large part of the reason for the EU trade agreement. Tarrifs can be checked here: for example a watch with automatic winding mechanism code: 9102210000

https://www.look-up-commodity-code-t...service.gov.uk

But looks like 20% VAT is payable on import (but if buying from an EU shop they should deduct local VAT from sale price for items over £390) - much like when you import from non-EU countries like USA etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Most products have zero tarrifs since that was a large part of the reason for the EU trade agreement. Tarrifs can be checked here: for example a watch with automatic winding mechanism code: 9102210000

But looks like 20% VAT is payable on import (but if buying from an EU shop they should deduct local VAT from sale price for items over £390) - much like when you import from non-EU countries like USA etc.
    Thanks, so just to be clear, if I buy a nice watch, maybe even a Rolex, from an EU country after the 1st Jan, am I going to be slapped with a lot of tax and duty that up until now I wouldn't have paid?

Thanks, so just to be clear, if I buy a nice watch, maybe even a Rolex, from an EU country after the 1st Jan, am I going to be slapped with a lot of tax and duty that up until now I wouldn't have paid?
    Not duty.

But VAT is likely to be payable unless they come up with something sensible for non-business imports.

Best case will be that the supplier doesn’t charge local VAT, and you’ll pay UK VAT plus the inevitable handling charge. And probably your parcel will take a week or more longer to clear the process.

Not paying the supplier’s VAT in the country of supply won’t necessarily be a given though, leaving the possibility of double charges.

If you buy new from a shop then they should be able to send to you deducting their local VAT and you pay UK VAT, duty (if any) and a handling fee on arrival.

If you buy from a private individual you will pay the price advertised plus UK VAT etc. on entry to the UK.

I am not sure about a 2nd hand watch from a dealer as but I would expect local VAT will be deducted but that one would need checking. I expect so as a "new" Rolex is effectively 2nd hand as will have been sold several times before- Rolex > Distributor > Reseller.

- - - Updated - - -

If you buy new from a shop then they should be able to send to you deducting their local VAT and you pay UK VAT, duty (if any) and a handling fee on arrival.

If you buy from a private individual you will pay the price advertised plus UK VAT etc. on entry to the UK.

I am not sure about a 2nd hand watch from a dealer as but I would expect local VAT will be deducted but that one would need checking. I expect so as a "new" Rolex is effectively 2nd hand as will have been sold several times before- Rolex > Distributor > Reseller.

Further possible issues are-

1. Many suppliers of pre-owned goods in the UK operate under the VAT margin scheme where VAT is calculated on their element of profit, not on the full selling price. Not sure if other EU countries do this, but I’d fully expect VAT on import to be charged on the full value of the goods. And that won’t be all...

2. ... because VAT will also be charged on the shipping cost.

3. A further complication for people like me who buy bigger heavier items in the UK and have them shipped by an independent shipper may be that suppliers sending goods to the shipper’s UK depot will not be prepared to invoice without VAT. And reclaiming the overpaid tax is likely to be difficult at best, impossible at worst. So in the 21st century with all the technology at everyone’s fingertips, there will be double tax charges. Plus the dreaded handling charge.

I HOPE that there will be a sensible dispensation in both directions for personal imports/exports so that if VAT is paid in the country of supply there won’t be a further VAT charge in the destination country. But I won’t hold my breath.

Master
    Further possible issues are-

1. Many suppliers of pre-owned goods in the UK operate under the VAT margin scheme where VAT is calculated on their element of profit, not on the full selling price. Not sure if other EU countries do this, but I’d fully expect VAT on import to be charged on the full value of the goods. And that won’t be all...

2. ... because VAT will also be charged on the shipping cost.

3. A further complication for people like me who buy bigger heavier items in the UK and have them shipped by an independent shipper may be that suppliers sending goods to the shipper’s UK depot will not be prepared to invoice without VAT. And reclaiming the overpaid tax is likely to be difficult at best, impossible at worst. So in the 21st century with all the technology at everyone’s fingertips, there will be double tax charges. Plus the dreaded handling charge.

I HOPE that there will be a sensible dispensation in both directions for personal imports/exports so that if VAT is paid in the country of supply there won’t be a further VAT charge in the destination country. But I won’t hold my breath.
    I believe you are correct on all points.

Blog Entries
    Seriously?
    Nah, was only wondering who they were! I know you weren’t making it up. :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Yep. Don't forget the Royal Mail Ransom fee... it's going to be a real boon for the Post Office income charging the handling fee for ALL items being sent to the UK, no more hoping an incoming parcel "slips under the radar" as anything not sent via a courier is going through the RM system.
    If you don't want to pay this fee all you have to do is ask the seller to state "Goods to be customs cleared by the importer" on the customs declaration form accompanying the package. Border Force will then contact you direct to claim VAT/duty. Good luck.

More info here:-

https://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/con...importing-post

However, the pertinent part is:-

Declaring the goods yourself

As the importer you can carry out your own Customs procedures. If you want to do this, you will need to ensure the sender clearly marks the Customs declaration form (CN22 or CN23) 'goods to be Customs cleared by the importer'. Do not write on the wrapping. If the Customs declaration form (CN22 or CN23) is not marked in this way by the sender, the goods will be cleared by customs in the normal way; once goods have been Customs cleared you cannot then retrospectively apply to self clear them.
    For items that have been marked for clearance by the importer, a full declaration will be sent to you to complete and return to the appropriate customs postal office.
    They will calculate any import charges and write and advise you of your tax liability.
    When you have paid this and the funds have been cleared, your goods will be released for delivery.
    However, as a manual procedure there could be a considerable delay in the receipt of your goods.
    You can obtain copies of the import declaration form and further information on the HMRC VAT Helpline on Tel 0300 200 3700.

The bottom line is that it all looks like far too much hassle, with the probability that any and all purchases (including private ones from TZ forum members) will be subject to VAT and "handling" charges, and I could even be charged twice.

Looks like I am unlikely to be buying or trading any more watches from EU forum members in future, which is a shame.

Alternatively once travelling is back to some sort of new normality, some of us can have a day trip to France and use the local post office once there...

Sales Corner post Brexit

I will of course be honoured in such instances to stump up 20% VAT in the hope that it is used to fund improvements to essential, currently underfunded, public services.

On 1st January EBay might give us a clue on future VAT arrangements as online market places will start collecting VAT (on transactions up to £135 and if the seller has not provided a U.K. VAT registration number). Perhaps keep an eye on how an EU business seller to a U.K. private buyer and how a EU private seller to U.K. private buyer transactions are processed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 28th December 2020 at 23:59.

The bottom line is that it all looks like far too much hassle, with the probability that any and all purchases (including private ones from TZ forum members) will be subject to VAT and "handling" charges, and I could even be charged twice.

Looks like I am unlikely to be buying or trading any more watches from EU forum members in future, which is a shame.
    I expect to fly over to UK should something super interesting catch my interest on SC and then just go ahead and smuggle it back home. But certainly going to miss out on most watches under +-8k I might had been otherwise be interested in..

Maybe you guys can start a referendum a couple of years from now on rejoining the EU. Or your kids might in some 10-20years from now..

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

Maybe if you personally visit a shop they’ll do the paperwork but I’ve never known foreign websites (US, Australian, Japanese etc) to deduct local VAT, they just aren’t set up to do so.

I often hear this being said usually by people who have a small business, why would you think a consumer is suddenly going to either pay more for British made "cheap tat" and I say pay more as if the prices were the same nobody would be buying cheap tat from abroad in the first place? It seems delusional to say the least that customers who are used to paying X for an item are suddenly going to happily pay Y for it now. All you are going to really achieve is a lot of very annoyed customers who will just vote with their feet.

Same goes for pretty much anything, now we are out I am not going to suddenly pay more for a watch in the UK that I could have got cheaper a month ago from the EU I just wont buy it.
    Actually my points was more towards it reducing the flow of cheap tat altogether, some people will think twice before ordering said items. And its also about the formidable waste that occurs when people order billions of tiny plastic envelopes coming from Asia vs buying locally. Not everything is cheaper to buy from Asia, because of course they have a shipping cost to factor in, so maybe it will dissuade many. Its also a messed up system where the Universal Postal Union (nothing to do with EU) has been for many years favoring certain Asian countries with ridiculously low so called terminal dues, which were designed in a time decades ago where they wanted people to be able to send personal mail at a cost reflective of their income. Now though they are taking advantage of those to be able to mail the billions of billions of envelopes with various tat, those same envelopes filling up our landfills. Its much more cost effective and environmentally friendly to ship containers of stuff together rather that 1 item at a time in a plastic bubble envelope. And as for UK, there’s pound stores all over the place where one can find the same cheap tat from eBay etc but without the crippling environmental effect of having it sent to you in a big plastic envelope.
    https://www.joc.com/regulation-polic..._20200108.html

I was reading somewhere that an up to 100g packet/envelope sent from China costs few cents to send whereas we all know what it will cost to send vice-versa, a few good quid in the case of UK and a lot more from countries like US, Australia that buy even more from China (due to imbalance created they had to keep jacking up their rates for local users of postal system to stay afloat; I used to live in the US circa early to mid 00’s and clearly remember using USPS 1st Class Intl. to mail stuff and it was reasonable, 10$ or less for large envelopes or small box (of tat 藍) sent to family back in Europe. After leaving I had used for a long time a forwarding address to buy things once in a while, especially watches when I used to live in Cyprus, until the local post smartened up and dropped the very generous personal import limit they had in place without having to pay any VAT or anything, used to be £100 (CY pound) ; I was buying mostly Seikos , Orient, Citizen, etc which were 3-4x cheaper in the US than any local place, that is if I could find those models at all. I remember having bought some very decent Seiko and Citizen automatic models, was sticking only to autos for as cheap as 19$ on Black Friday...gone are those days

In terms of postage in general, since I was also flipping those watches like crazy, prices went up and up and up, don’t know if you feel or realize that but it has gone up tremendously not only in the US. Here in CZ rates for intl. small packets or envelopes have nearly doubled in the less than 5 years since I moved here. And I’m sure it has a lot to do with the large wave of small goods flowing in from Asia.

I am not one to condone curtailing of international commerce but at the same time I think that encouraging and heavily subsiding the postage cost so that all that river of small cheap tat can flow in from Asia is completely reckless.

That is 100% true and the reason why most of my (new) watch purchases big or small have either came from some UK online store or US more seldom and I've hardly ever bought local (here in CZ a couple of times only, but when I used to live in Cyprus, except buying used from some local blokes, I've only once bought a watch at the duty-free, out of the 100s I had bought throughout near a decade of living there.

Is that correct?
    Doesn't seem to be , the correct figure is now £0, anything above £0 will have charges applied (either just VAT or VAT + import taxes, depending what the product is). UK is dropping the EU small purchase VAT exemption altogether, as I wrote before in this thread and here are some links that confirm it (the deal reached makes no changes to this so basically either the seller is going to be forced to collect VAT if he wants to reach the UK customer, or for small purchases of any value you will have to pay VAT on arrival)
    https://www.sage.com/en-gb/blog/cust...7-c76b88bbc6b8
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-value-parcels

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Indeed so, I would imagine it will bring a breath of new life to the lot of them at least for a while before people get stung enough to figure it out. I can assure you the average person on the street, not only in the UK but in general have no clue of the real implications of Brexit like all this nitty gritty stuff, because of course nobody told them how it will impact their life.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    I expect to fly over to UK should something super interesting catch my interest on SC and then just go ahead and smuggle it back home. But certainly going to miss out on most watches under +-8k I might had been otherwise be interested in..

Maybe you guys can start a referendum a couple of years from now on rejoining the EU. Or your kids might in some 10-20years from now..
    Last edited by Dan83bz; 29th December 2020 at 07:09.

Blog Entries

So funny. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Alternatively once travelling is back to some sort of new normality, some of us can have a day trip to France and use the local post office once there...
    Whatever is to be decided, whole buying-selling process with EU members (talking about non-business sellers) is going to take more time. And just because of that and possible complications (delays, procedure, VAT) means the watch hobby community will suffer. Unfortunately.
    I do have a cousin in London who flies often to EU so I ll try to make some arrangements like that if I decide to buy sth from UK. Let us wait till this start, maybe we are still rushing ahead with conclusions

Poslano sa mog SM-G960F koriste?i Tapatalk

Interestingly, I have now come across a number of EU based online stores now stating that they will not be accepting orders from the UK due to Brexit

Most likely due to all the upheaval and unknowns and so I wonder how pong it will take them to be comfortable to open orders back up to UK customers again?

I've just written to Sinn regarding my deposit-paid U50 along the following lines (not the first time I've chased, incidentally):

Any update on this please, as it's now a month and a half past the delivery date provided when I ordered it? I'm assuming that any VAT-related issues post January 1st will be managed between you and Sinn, by the way, as I won't be paying any additional costs.

I await their response.

Edit: And here it is:

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your email, the brand are closed at the moment for the Christmas break but rest assured orders will resume next week and once they're back open we will be sending them our backorder list for them to advise on the delivery from Germany.

The price you have paid will not increase.

Warmest regards,
    Last edited by learningtofly; 29th December 2020 at 11:49.

There is a workaround for avoiding taxes / duties for second hand watches. Not entirelly honest though as it requires the receiving party to lie to customs and the sending party to cooperate..

There is a workaround for avoiding taxes / duties for second hand watches. Not entirelly honest though as it requires the receiving party to lie to customs and the sending party to cooperate..
    That’s like saying “there’s a workaround for reducing your shopping bill. Just walk out of the store without paying”.

That’s like saying “there’s a workaround for reducing your shopping bill. Just walk out of the store without paying”.
    Not quite. Walking out the shop without paying means you took something from the owner of the shop (he now has less) and you gained something (you have more)

By receiving a package for which you paid, the other party gets what they wanted as do you. The gov is not losing anything, just as it didnt lose anything pre brexit.

Not endorsing the scheme, just correcting your mistake in logic.

Grand Master
    A ‘workaround’.......that’s a euphemism I wouldn’t have thought of!

The difficulty with these ‘ workarounds’, apart from the legality, us the disparity between declared value and insured value......think about it!

Sales Corner post Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A ‘workaround’.......that’s a euphemism I wouldn’t have thought of!

The difficulty with these ‘ workarounds’, apart from the legality, us the disparity between declared value and insured value......think about it!
    Nope. The workaround works with full insured and declared value as well.

If anyone wants a top tip for free blueberries at Sainsbury's just let me know. Hint; you'll need a rucksack:)

In all seriousness there is a loophole with Parcelpro in so far as in order to remain compliant with their terms and conditions you have to declare an item at $500 or lower. Declare it any higher and any claim might not be honoured.

I believe Ming use Parcelpro. Anyone who has ordered a Ming will know it always arrives with customs declaration of $500 even though the watch will have cost many multiples of this. VAT is charged by HMRC on this declared value.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Nope. The workaround works with full insured and declared value as well.
    Really? I bow to your superior knowledge. It’s still fraud and nothing to brag about on a forum. I’m not claiming to be whiter than white, just questioning the wisdom of bragging about it.

Like it or not, we are no longer in the EU and taxes will apply to watches and watch parts bought from Europe. I don’t like it, I buy parts from Spain and Germany because there’s no alternative, prices are not favourable owing to the exchange rate, so adding 20% on top is bad news. If stuff sneaks in under the radar I won’t complain, but I certainly won’t try to engineer the situation in my favour by encouraging false declarations, 20 years ago I might’ve done so but now I’m mature enough to realise it’s nothing to be proud of.

Not quite. Walking out the shop without paying means you took something from the owner of the shop (he now has less) and you gained something (you have more)

By receiving a package for which you paid, the other party gets what they wanted as do you. The gov is not losing anything, just as it didnt lose anything pre brexit.

Not endorsing the scheme, just correcting your mistake in logic.
    The government is losing taxes it's due.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Really? I bow to your superior knowledge. It’s still fraud and nothing to brag about on a forum. I’m not claiming to be whiter than white, just questioning the wisdom of bragging about it.

Like it or not, we are no longer in the EU and taxes will apply to watches and watch parts bought from Europe. I don’t like it, I buy parts from Spain and Germany because there’s no alternative, prices are not favourable owing to the exchange rate, so adding 20% on top is bad news. If stuff sneaks in under the radar I won’t complain, but I certainly won’t try to engineer the situation in my favour by encouraging false declarations, 20 years ago I might’ve done so but now I’m mature enough to realise it’s nothing to be proud of.
    You too are mistaken. I did not brag about it nor did I share the scheme.