closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple

Thumbs up Apple

My daughters Apple iPad Pro 10.5 has given up the ghost after just 2.5 years from new. My wife took it to the Apple store in Bristol today but they explained they can't open up the device and it is effectively dead. The alternative was to pay £340 for an alternative model which I am reluctant to do just before Christmas.
    We are a household with 11 Apple products from iPad to phones so we are fully invested in the brand. I know the warranty is just 12 months, I would expect the device to last longer than 2.5 years though. Grumble grumble! Is it worth complaining or should I just bite the bullet and buy another in the hope it lasts!

I would write to Apple customer support.

Apple products usually carry on working.

Has anything happened to it?

Does your iPad charge up?

I would try a different charge lead/adapter and power socket. Leave charging for 15 minutes and then try switching on whilst still charging. I still have a iPhone 4s which one refused to power up.

It may be worth checking charging port is free of dirt/dust.

Thanks, they power tested it in the Apple store and nothing was working.

"Apple Products and Consumer Laws in the United Kingdom" https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    "Apple Products and Consumer Laws in the United Kingdom" https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/
    This

Show them and then it’s foods not fit for purpose blah blah small claims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I have charged the device on three different iPad plugs and cables and with no joy on powering up holding the home button and up button simultaneously.

TBH that’s not bad going

Our Dell laptop failed after 18 months and our Sony TV failed after 14 months, also lost a Kindle after 13 months

So for that prices seems fair

Quote Originally Posted by nick67 View Post
    TBH that’s not bad going

Our Dell laptop failed after 18 months and our Sony TV failed after 14 months, also lost a Kindle after 13 months

You need to start buying your TVs from Costco. 5 years no quibble money back on the spot.

It was a a great number of years ago and. CRT

- - - Updated - - -

It was a a great number of years ago and. CRT

I would go back and complain apple are usally good with things like this i have has a iphone and a ipod replaced

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

That seems poor. My first iPad (3rd gen) is still going after 8 years of reasonable use, and my current one (iPad Air 2, about 3 years old) is going great guns, still putting in 8-10 hours on a charge. Write to Apple customer services and see if they will do anything under goodwill. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Cheers,

Plug

Craftsman
    I know it wouldn't have helped this time as 2.5 years old, but I buy all my Apple products from John Lewis. Price is identical to Apple store around the corner but they offer 2 years rather than 1 year warranty on Apple products.

Craftsman
    My iPad Pro 2018 model (I think) appeared to be dead ; not charging etc after being left on charger overnight. None of the usual tricks would work.

I was in the process of arranging a return when Google recommended trying it with a 30W charger. I got one off Amazon and it brought it back to life. Maybe worth a try.

Jake

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...51#post5597351

See this thread^ you have rights:

Master

Apple

That is strange and very annoying I’d imagine.

Just for balance though I have had many Apple products of all types over the last 15 years and not one has developed a single fault. That includes a 10 year old laptop.

While in some ways I love the freedom of other products that are based in windows or android etc, I have found Apple products to be by far the longest lasting and most reliable.

Craftsman
    That's not good for an Apple product, Mrs R's iPad Air 2 is 5 years old on Christmas day.. and still going very well and holding great charge.

Quote Originally Posted by nick67 View Post
    TBH that’s not bad going

I'd suggest a) you've been very unlucky there or b) you are Reg from the Kenny Everett show.

After 25 years in IT, I always make sure I have factored in AppleCare when buying new products. Apple have history, as do others, of releasing products with faulty parts and flaws. Laptops and iPads are at the forefront of these all too frequent "foibles."

Master

Apple

Quote Originally Posted by barty9 View Post
    My daughters Apple iPad Pro 10.5 has given up the ghost after just 2.5 years from new. My wife took it to the Apple store in Bristol today but they explained they can't open up the device and it is effectively dead. The alternative was to pay £340 for an alternative model which I am reluctant to do just before Christmas.
    We are a household with 11 Apple products from iPad to phones so we are fully invested in the brand. I know the warranty is just 12 months, I would expect the device to last longer than 2.5 years though. Grumble grumble! Is it worth complaining or should I just bite the bullet and buy another in the hope it lasts!
    I’‘ve just had a very similar experience.
    Make sure that when trying to charge it you use a genuine Apple cable and plug. I was in the process of having to buy a replacement iPad at the store when my broken iPad sprang back into life because it was plugged into their charging leads. I’’d been using non OEM leads.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 24th December 2020 at 02:43.

This doesn't seem like Apple; in my experience, their products last for ages.
    I don't have an iPad, but we have 11 iPhones from over the past 11 years which all work perfectly, including the oldest iPhone 3GS from 2009.
    I think you should definitely speak to Customer Services.
    Last edited by noms2000; 24th December 2020 at 02:44. Reason: spelling

Apple

My youngest son has Down’s and isn’t exactly careful with his iPad! He’s on his second - last one just got old and wouldn’t load newer games or run all the software, we used it towards the new one at Apple and, safe inside an otter box case it’s been fine.
    Well, I say fine - I noticed the other day the whole thing has been bent like a banana, inside the case - he must have sat on it or something - but it still works absolutely perfectly - I’m amazed, the screen is really noticeably curved, we’ve got about 3 years out of it and I don’t think that’s too bad.
    Apple were pretty good when we bought this one - we mentioned it was for our son and they threw in AppleCare for free. Long expired but I was impressed - as soon as I mentioned our son loved his iPad as he had learning difficulties the sales guy apparently spoke to the manager and they gave us complimentary Apple care without us even asking. I thought that was a lovely gesture and have to admit I now have a house full of apple kit partly as a result of that salesman!

If the battery is shot they are very reluctant to open them up in store due to the lithium.

I had this issue when my iPhone X battery expanded, the device had to be returned for a replacement.

It might be worth discussing the issues with a local ‘fixit’ device repair store, my local one changed a broken screen and replaced the battery in my sons 7+ phone and they were great, and it was so much cheaper than Apple, the fingerprint I’d still works and the guys running the store were proper geeks and might have some suggestions, I expect most of these stores are the same.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Apple

I have found in the past Apple goodwill in excellent, and once had a iPhone that developed a fault replaced at a similar aged as your iPad without quibble.

I would escalate it to a manager, and explain that that the Sale of Goods act covers faulty goods up to 6 years from the date of sale.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20....howtocomplain

Master
    Disappointing indeed. One would hope that customer loyalty would play a part in some goodwill decisions by Apple but maybe those days are over :(

They wanted to charge me £420 for a new keyboard for my 370day old MacBook Pro. The manager stuck to his guns and I had to accept it. Then, when the tech put the repair through his ipad - it came up as FOC.

On the proforma invoice it quoted “No charge -UK consumer law”.

So - they will push it, but if you know the law in respect to this - you can call them on it.

With hindsight I would have raised the volume on our conversation so that everyone in the store heard me telling them that Apple/The manager were trying to screw me.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    They wanted to charge me £420 for a new keyboard for my 370day old MacBook Pro. The manager stuck to his guns and I had to accept it. Then, when the tech put the repair through his ipad - it came up as FOC.

On the proforma invoice it quoted “No charge -UK consumer law”.

So - they will push it, but if you know the law in respect to this - you can call them on it.

With hindsight I would have raised the volume on our conversation so that everyone in the store heard me telling them that Apple/The manager were trying to screw me.

They are going to get the dead iPad back in the post alongside a snotty letter as I am running around in circles on the telephone and we are now restricted in terms of covid travel to Bristol/Reading or any other Apple store they fancy sending me! Happy Christmas!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    It might be worth discussing the issues with a local ‘fixit’ device repair store, my local one changed a broken screen and replaced the battery in my sons 7+ phone and they were great, and it was so much cheaper than Apple, the fingerprint I’d still works and the guys running the store were proper geeks and might have some suggestions, I expect most of these stores are the same.
    My thoughts exactly. Only thing to bear in mind is they may not use authentic Apple replacement parts.

I know it's disappointing to have something fail after 2.5 years, but no electrical gadget is 100% guaranteed to last dozens of years, even Apple ones!

As someone suggested there are lots of good independents who will fix it for far less than Apple will.

Presumably Apple used genuine parts when they built it, but that hasn't helped the OP has it?

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    I’m sure it’s been said

John Lewis give 3 years warranty and Costco longer I believe

Handy for next time maybe

Have to say I had a disappointing experience. We are Apple whores too- between Mrs Draft and myself currently four iPhones in various iterations, 3 iPads and 2 MacBook Airs. The last Mini IPad I bought, from an eBay reseller, suffered a stuck home button at 14 months old. The Stratford Apple Store inspected it, agreed it was otherwise in perfect condition and not abused, but flat refused to exchange or repair it unless I paid the best part of £300. Their advice was to take it up with the reseller, who predictably ignored my emails.

The good news is that the button freed off to an extent and the machine is still usable, sort of.

Even so, I thought this was a piss-poor way to treat a multiple and repeat user of their products.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Have to say I had a disappointing experience. We are Apple whores too- between Mrs Draft and myself currently four iPhones in various iterations, 3 iPads and 2 MacBook Airs. The last Mini IPad I bought, from an eBay reseller, suffered a stuck home button at 14 months old. The Stratford Apple Store inspected it, agreed it was otherwise in perfect condition and not abused, but flat refused to exchange or repair it unless I paid the best part of £300. Their advice was to take it up with the reseller, who predictably ignored my emails.

The good news is that the button freed off to an extent and the machine is still usable, sort of.

Even so, I thought this was a piss-poor way to treat a multiple and repeat user of their products.
    I personally don’t see the problem here and I’m not trying to antagonise you.

You are expecting goodwill because you have bought many Apple products before, but Apple is not interested in providing goodwill because you bought from a reseller.

Your contract is with the eBay reseller and not with Apple, so quite rightly Apple exercised their right not to provide you with any goodwill.

If you want Apple goodwill beyond the standard 12 months warranty then you have to be prepared to buy direct from Apple, and in some circumstances pay more for the item.

My wife’s phone was replaced by Apple without quibble after 30 months. She bought it direct from Apple. She paid extra to buy it from Apple and therefore I believe Apple rewarded that behaviour with goodwill.

A bit of quid pro quo.

^^^^^

I agree.

Buying from resellers is potentially fraught with issues.

So far - 10+ years in, having bought direct exclusively the service has been exemplary.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Of course you’re right gents. Frustratingly all our other I-devices had come from Apple so it was Sod’s law that the one that went wrong, apparently with a manufacturing fault, was the one bought from a reseller. I think my main irritation was that it was out of manufacturers warranty by just a few weeks, and for that I think they could have reciprocated brand loyalty with a degree of flexibility and goodwill.
    Last edited by draftsmann; 28th December 2020 at 00:07.

I think the irritation might also be from the fact that repairing Apple products through Apple (without warranty) is agonisingly expensive.. although my previous Macbook lasted 6 years without an issue and I've not had a problem with my iphones either (except for when I dropped them drunk)

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    I think the irritation might also be from the fact that repairing Apple products through Apple (without warranty) is agonisingly expensive.. although my previous Macbook lasted 6 years without an issue and I've not had a problem with my iphones either (except for when I dropped them drunk)
    And Apple has cleverly and effectively put a stop to cheaper 3rd party repairs for its latest phones. Expensive Apple repair is the only option.

https://youtu.be/FY7DtKMBxBw

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    And Apple has cleverly and effectively put a stop to cheaper 3rd party repairs for its latest phones. Expensive Apple repair is the only option.

https://youtu.be/FY7DtKMBxBw
    wow...

Update: without doubt this post was what stopped the merry-go-round with Apple.

I was put though to the consumer law department numerous times via the apple chat ‘service’ and they requested I visit the apple store again, which I couldn’t due to the Covid restrictions, eventually they buckled and asked for the item to be collected and returned for testing again and sure enough the item was found to be faulty and a replacement is on its way.

Thanks for all the messages with regards to this - knowledge is power with Apple as I very much felt fobbed off early on.

Master
    Great result. Well done!

Great result, well done for perseverance , I had a similar experience with LG, brand new tv, had wavy lines all at the edges, contacted their CS and asked to send photos, did that and their ‘remote inspection’ told them I had damaged it, after some fruitless phone calls where I was told they had closed the case, I complained on their FB page and got a message and a contact email, they agreed to have it back for physical inspection and a new TV was sent out in less than a week.

Just to say I had a positive experience with Philips.

Bought a light gradient bar, set it up and had a section that was not lit. Took some photos and sent a message via FB. Got a response confirming that it was faulty and they arranged a new one to be sent out.

They then arranged to pick up the faulty one after the new order me had been delivered and set up.

Excellent customer service.

Master
    I've had fewer issues with all my iPhones / iPads than previous comparable android and windows devices (samsung and sony mainly)
    The samsung galaxy I had, had multiple battery issues (no help from samsung so had to shell out hundreds on replacement batteries), poor firmware updates that frequently broke more than they fixed, were late and then stopped after 18 months.
    Various sony windows phones all had physical issues with key 'flip' pads breaking.
    The single time I've had to take an apple product back to the apple store they replaced the battery under warranty in under an hour.
    My daughters iPhone was practically destroyed (her being a typical teenager at the time) and yet it still functioned until we replaced it as it was shedding glass and she sustained a minor cut from it.
    Another company that gets a thumbs up from me is Dell. They replaced the battery in my XPS FOC when it started expanding and popped the mouse pad out of the housing.

I don't regard myself as an apple 'fanboy' - I prefer windows as an OS but wouldn't even look at another make for phone or tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by barty9 View Post
    Update: without doubt this post was what stopped the merry-go-round with Apple.

I was put though to the consumer law department numerous times via the apple chat ‘service’ and they requested I visit the apple store again, which I couldn’t due to the Covid restrictions, eventually they buckled and asked for the item to be collected and returned for testing again and sure enough the item was found to be faulty and a replacement is on its way.

Thanks for all the messages with regards to this - knowledge is power with Apple as I very much felt fobbed off early on.
    Good to hear and happy you got it sorted. Sad when even the world's most admired brand (and richest company in history) play games to try do over one of their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I've had fewer issues with all my iPhones / iPads than previous comparable android and windows devices (samsung and sony mainly)
    The samsung galaxy I had, had multiple battery issues (no help from samsung so had to shell out hundreds on replacement batteries), poor firmware updates that frequently broke more than they fixed, were late and then stopped after 18 months.
    Various sony windows phones all had physical issues with key 'flip' pads breaking.
    The single time I've had to take an apple product back to the apple store they replaced the battery under warranty in under an hour.
    My daughters iPhone was practically destroyed (her being a typical teenager at the time) and yet it still functioned until we replaced it as it was shedding glass and she sustained a minor cut from it.
    Another company that gets a thumbs up from me is Dell. They replaced the battery in my XPS FOC when it started expanding and popped the mouse pad out of the housing.

I don't regard myself as an apple 'fanboy' - I prefer windows as an OS but wouldn't even look at another make for phone or tablet.
    I agree that they’re great, until they’re not. At that point what counts is how they deal with the problem. Or not, as I found. Thankfully for me it was one let-down out of numerous examples of their products, but for me they didn’t deal with it well.

Master
    Thread resurrection. Would this same law apply to TVs?
    My cousin has an OLED tv and it’s packed up. The images are all green. The tv is about 4 years old.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Thread resurrection. Would this same law apply to TVs?
    My cousin has an OLED tv and it’s packed up. The images are all green. The tv is about 4 years old.
    If you have an extended warranty you would be OK. My LG OLED is having the green screen replaced as we speak. It’s a known fault if you Google.

Absent an extended warranty, you’ve probably got a fight on your hands. As far as I am aware, the 6 (5 in Scotland) years referred to is the length of time you have to make a court claim.

I did ring LG about my TV and they would have replaced my screen for £200 - including collection and return. As galling as it is, you’d probably be as well paying up, if you don’t have an extended warranty, as retailers and manufacturers will try very hard to avoid paying up under general consumer law - certainly after 4 years.

I documented my LG OLED saga here

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...68-LG-B7-to-CX

Blog Entries
    You need to start buying your TVs from Costco. 5 years no quibble money back on the spot.
    That is why I have only bought TV’s from Costco over the last 10 odd years, unlike the well known high street outfit, Costco do not engage in petty quibbling and stalling tactics! I have never had to return a TV to Costco but I am happy knowing I easily could if I had one that became faulty within five years.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    That is why I have only bought TV’s from Costco over the last 10 odd years, unlike the well known high street outfit, Costco do not engage in petty quibbling and stalling tactics! I have never had to return a TV to Costco but I am happy knowing I easily could if I had one that became faulty within five years.
    Do you still need an active membership though..?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk