closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Opinions required - Brand New watch

Master

Opinions required - Brand New watch

So I received this brand new watch today from a reputeable Higt Street AD

Maybe I am being too fussy, but I was expecting cellophane on the back and the crystal and the crown seems to have lost some of its colour, along with the calf leather strap being disformed and stretched.

What do I do?

Depends on your appetite to keep the watch in its current state.

If you are happy to keep it as is then you should contact them and I'm sure they'll either give you a partial refund or maybe even replace the watch.

That simply isn't brand new!

Craftsman
    Blimey. I’d suggest that’s even more wear than a display model. Not easy to stretch a strap hole like that without properly wearing a watch for a while. That crown looks awful. I’d get back to them ASAP and get a new, box fresh model.

EJ by any chance?

Journeyman
    Pffffff I'd be straight back to the AD with that!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    return it.
    Stretching on the strap can be from where they've been stored on cushions but theres no excuse for the wear on the crown.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Simple answer is...............return it.

Looks like a customer return to me and you have been sent a second hand watch.

Unacceptable.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

I'd agree unless you bought it as a display model.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I think this is why I would rather if possible see the watch in the metal before buying.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...il-order-watch

Master
    Thanks everyone, you have confirmed my thoughts that it's ex display or customer return.
    There was a hefty discount but it was still offered as brand new
    I will see what they say in response to my email.

You ordered a brand new 'Fastrider' - not to be taken for one ..

its fairly second hand from looks of it = not acceptable if your expectation and contract was to supply factory new...

what is worrying is if the crown has lost colour now how will it stand up long term ?

sorry for your experience always a bummer when you are looking forward to a new incoming and its a let down..

I am sure you will get it resolved and have a Happy Ending....

Craftsman
    Blimey, that's awful. Get it returned ASAP!

Return and refund. Dont wait or it can get complicated.

A month ago I ordered new Tourby Lawless diver (egzibition model to be precise). It arrived with scratched bezel. I was offered a full refund but I liked it and didnt want to wait for another so I kept it. After 2 days there was another problem with handwinding (I could get it to handwind 1 out of 10 times which I didnt realize at beginning). And then when the story begins...why did you wear it?You were offered a full refund?etc etc. After 50 emails we finally settled for a partial refund with me needing to keep the strap (becacuse I wore it...)

Report it and return it ASAP. End story

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Thanks everyone, you have confirmed my thoughts that it's ex display or customer return.
    There was a hefty discount but it was still offered as brand new
    I will see what they say in response to my email.
    If it's EJ - normally they will offer you another 10% off straight away - now with the other discount - down to you if that is enough...

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    return it.
    Stretching on the strap can be from where they've been stored on cushions but theres no excuse for the wear on the crown.
    Yep, strap is no big deal but that crown is unacceptable.

Well that’s not new

I’d want a good lump off it or my full money back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Take it back straightaway and either get a new one or a refund. Why would you pay good money for something either damaged or secondhand?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    If you could live with the watch as it is, you could ask for a further discount. Alternatively, return it for a replacement.

Grand Master
    The crown would trouble me, not so much because its worn, but the fact that it’ll end up looking like that after a short while. Black watches are a bad idea and this is an example of why they’re a bad idea, the black coating always gets damaged and they can’t be refinished.

If the discount is big enough I’d keep it, but I’ wouldn’t bother with e- mail, I’d definitely be having a talk to some about it. Someone’s tried to pull a fast one and pass this off as new or ex- display, I would say it's a customer return.

Master
    So the response is as follows:-

I can see the areas the you are referring to as worn in your images, and would like to assure you that this watch is not pre-owned and has not been worn. These are likely areas of wear and tear from being on display in our store.*

What I would like to propose is that we order you a new strap with our compliments to rectify the issue of the stretching and disfigurement that you mention, and please keep the original strap as well. However with regards to the worn PVD on the crown and caseback, regrettably there is not much that can be done and I am very sorry for the disappointment that this has caused you. This particular timepiece was substantially reduced as it was on display for longer than usual. As a gesture of goodwill, I would like to refund you £300.

So ball is in my court again.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

I can see the areas the you are referring to as worn in your images, and would like to assure you that this watch is not pre-owned and has not been worn. These are likely areas of wear and tear from being on display in our store.*

What I would like to propose is that we order you a new strap with our compliments to rectify the issue of the stretching and disfigurement that you mention, and please keep the original strap as well. However with regards to the worn PVD on the crown and caseback, regrettably there is not much that can be done and I am very sorry for the disappointment that this has caused you. This particular timepiece was substantially reduced as it was on display for longer than usual. As a gesture of goodwill, I would like to refund you £300.

Without knowing how much you paid for the watch it's difficult to comment really but that seems to be a fairly generous offer so again it really depends on whether you're willing to put up with the crown as is or if it will bother you moving forward.

Blog Entries

Don't mess about. Get a full refund. Unless you're happy with a watch which is at best faulty and at worst second hand, if so keep it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I'd still get the refund. Strap isn't the issue here, the crown is.

Don't know if I could live with the crown looking like that but if you can it sounds like a fair enough offer from the AD.
    The strap wouldn't be a problem but it's you're call.
    Maybe enquire how much a new crown is from the manufacturer of just send the whole lot back if it's to much of a hassle. Or even maybe try and claim on the warranty for the new crown?

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Return it, it is a second hand watch.

I would return it personally, that crown is really quite an eyesore.

Master
    Did you buy online? If so just return, no questions asked for a full refund.

I'd take screen shot of any web page that says the watch in new/unworn just in case they get funny and claim the big discount was because it was sold as ex-display or a return.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Don't know if I could live with the crown looking like that but if you can it sounds like a fair enough offer from the AD.
    The strap wouldn't be a problem but it's you're call.
    Maybe enquire how much a new crown is from the manufacturer of just send the whole lot back if it's to much of a hassle. Or even maybe try and claim on the warranty for the new crown?

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Warranty repair was also my initial thought, or even a paid repair.
    Will try and speak to Tudor direct.

Question becomes, would you pay your original price less £300 for this watch in as-is condition (with new strap) if you walked into a store and saw it?

Forget about what's happened and just ask yourself the above question. If yes, keep it. If no, return it.

If you do keep it, it's worth a cheeky try at a warranty repair afterwards direct to Tudor. Make a point to Tudor that it can't be fair 'wear and tear' on a watch that's been purchased days ago. Never know!

Pay a few hundred £s more to get a 'new' one, and the crown and strap could look like that in a few months anyway.

Depends how much you think a bit of finish on the crown is worth? It was already reduced, they're offering you another £300 and a new strap, so …

Just turn the crown to face downwards so you don't see it

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Pay a few hundred £s more to get a 'new' one, and the crown and strap could look like that in a few months anyway.

Depends how much you think a bit of finish on the crown is worth? It was already reduced, they're offering you another £300 and a new strap, so …

Just turn the crown to face downwards so you don't see it
    Agree 100%, take the new strap and the money. I’m surprised the crown has lost its PVD so easily, but after a few months you could ask for it replacing under warranty. PVD watcges are a no- no for me but I wouldn't expect a crown to deteriorate so quickly.

Silly question but I’ll ask it: are you sure pale appearance of the crown is really due to the PVD rubbing off, or could it be residue deposited on the crown from someone winding it with their nails. I’ve seen this before, that’s why I’ve asked the silly question.

Master
    That crown looks like a manufacturing defect to me. PVD is a very durable coating so no way it's rubbed off from customers playing with it in the shop. If you're happy with the price you paid then I'd be asking the shop to send it back to Tudor for a warranty repair.

‘Brand new’
    Assuming the crown coating has worn off it’s had a pretty tough life already imo.
    If it hasn’t, and was never fully coated it shouldn’t have made it passed qc.

Unless you got a bargain and are completely happy with it, then it’s refund time...

Craftsman
    Without knowing the watch, I would say you have a good offer there. Although, if the Crown can pick up that level of ware whilst on display, surly it will only get worse once you start to use it.

Craftsman
    Return it, clearly used, the fact they have sold you it, in that condition is awful.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Buy one of these for £3 then you'll have £297 left for hookers and coke. Or another watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally I would take the new strap and refund because PVD will always wear, now or in a few months.

I would likely rub the rest off the crown and give it the IWC look.

How do you normally make decisions in day-to-day life?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a fair offer from the AD, but only you can decide if all things considered it represents a good deal.

With the £300 offer what would the watch cost you?

mega bargain or just an ok one?
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Silly question but I’ll ask it: are you sure pale appearance of the crown is really due to the PVD rubbing off, or could it be residue deposited on the crown from someone winding it with their nails. I’ve seen this before, that’s why I’ve asked the silly question.
    Does seem odd it’s not worn just on the high points.

Up to you but the £300 and a strap (you keep the old one right) lid the chance to bang it to Tudor as an issue I’d be swayed I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Buy one of these for £3 then you'll have £297 left for hookers and coke. Or another watch.

Brilliant

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

Opinions required - Brand New watch

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post

£297 to use on hookers(plural?!) AND coke.
    There’s something fishy there...
    My guess would be the hookers.

Master
    I would be pissed if that was sent to me!
    That would be sent back for a full refund and I would never use them again.

I’ve received pre owned watches in better condition than that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Sounds like a fair offer from the AD, but only you can decide if all things considered it represents a good deal.

With the £300 offer what would the watch cost you?

mega bargain or just an ok one?
    With the initial discount and the £300 it's down to £2350.
    New strap is worth a few quid I guess and after speaking to Rolex today, they would like to look at the crown issue under warranty.
    Looks like I'm keeping it.

New strap is worth a few quid I guess and after speaking to Rolex today, they would like to look at the crown issue under warranty.

Looks like a win to me.

Job done. And you have the back up of buying it 'new' from an authorised dealer so they'll probably stick a new crown on it.

Master
    Sounds like a result on Xmas day !

Master
    So I just had a call from RWC.
    The bad news is they are closing until Jan 26 due to Covid.
    The good news is they feel the best course of action is to replace the caseback and crown, the retailer has already shipped me a brand new leather strap!
    A good news story on TZ for once!

So I just had a call from RWC.
    The bad news is they are closing until Jan 26 due to Covid.
    The good news is they feel the best course of action is to replace the caseback and crown, the retailer has already shipped me a brand new leather strap!
    A good news story on TZ for once!

Great result