closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered the prototypes - prototypes received

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet Ocean View Post
    Possible amendments for consideration -

1) Cross Hairs on the dial look great and really help to improve any negative space.
    2) Definitely keep the hand-set shown on the render, adds elegance to the dial.
    3) Movement change to a bi-directional winding to eliminate any rotor whir - replace the Miyota 9039 with the Seiko NH38A (cheaper to purchase).
    4) Make the Trans-Global one word.
    5) Remove the movement name and replace with simply Automatic on the case back.

All just my personal opinions of course....

Personal you said, but I just have to say no, no, no to the NH38A, the Miyota is the far better movement of those two. 6r15 would be fine as well ;)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Personal you said, but I just have to say no, no, no to the NH38A, the Miyota is the far better movement of those two. 6r15 would be fine as well ;)
    I agree, the Seiko 6r15 would be a better choice over the NH38A, really any good bi-directional winding movement would be a consideration, however, as I mentioned this would just be a personal choice as I just cannot get along with a noisy rotor.

Having said that, my Everest (which has the miyota 9039) is very quiet with minimal rotor whir but I do have other watches with miyota movements and you can hear them spinning from a mile away, so to speak.

Either way, Eddie supplies some excellent watches and if the PRS-54 does come into fruition then I would most certainly consider picking one up, loving the Salmon dial variant.

Craftsman
    The Miyota movements in the Everest and Dreadnought seem very good movements to me and not noticed any particular noise from either.

Oh another name maybe for consideration having been involved in aviation in the past; Globemaster

The Globemaster name is currently used by Omega, so that would be rather problematic.

The Miyota movements have the advantage of being slimmer than the Seiko calibers, which would allow the case to be slimmer as well.
    Last edited by dschaen81; 6th January 2021 at 11:41.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    The Globemaster name is currently used by Omega, so that would be rather problematic.

The Miyota movements have the advantage of being slimmer than the Seiko calibers, which would allow the case to be slimmer as well.
    Thanks forgotten about the Omega, oh well nice idea while it lasted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post

Very true, and quite important with this new design, this should look sleek and have a slim profile on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed875 View Post
    The Miyota movements in the Everest and Dreadnought seem very good movements to me and not noticed any particular noise from either.

Oh another name maybe for consideration having been involved in aviation in the past; Globemaster
    I’ve regulated my Everest 2 weeks ago and it’s running absolutely bang on - I can position it at night to speed it up or slow it down, but it’s still only varying +/- 2 secs. Just incredible. And with the movement cover the rotor isn’t noticeable at all, only when it put it close to my ear. I’ve owned watches with many different movements, but these ones are right up there for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I often wonder if Hodinkee is a forum lurker, it's not the first time an article has appeared connected with a recently announced project.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Enjoyed that article with my mid afternoon tea and scone! Thanks for posting.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

"Poledancer"?

Seriously, how about a display back and a micro-rotor movement?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Now that really would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    "Poledancer"?

I've never found micro-rotors to be particularly efficient at generating a decent power reserve.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

As it happens, I think the salmon dial would look better without the cross-hairs. But I am not here for that.

What I would like to first talk about is... instead of sunburst, how about linen?

(a video of the linen salmon dial) Habring² Chrono-Felix Salmon Dial
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJAbNp-IW10

Secondly, "the salmon colour". I know that computers have different ways of interpreting colour... I have a desktop, a laptop, and two phones at home, so between them all I've got a rough idea of the colours presented.

Right, the salmon I see, looks a bit wishy washy. I am not sure what the final rendition will be... but I like this hue:

"Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Ed875 View Post

If it's a Smiths, how about Smiths Astral, stars, navigation and all that and simpler branding of SMITHS ASTRAL in a 50s nuclear/jet age/space age style and font?

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Very good read, thank you.

I see your point re the crosshairs on the salmon version.
    Last edited by Passenger; 7th January 2021 at 17:31.

Black, crosshairs, 36mm would be about as good as a watch gets.

Unfortunate that a microrotor movement would be impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I often wonder if Hodinkee is a forum lurker, it's not the first time an article has appeared connected with a recently announced project.

Eddie
    I wouldn't take it personally - Hodinkee have had a UG fetish for some time and they're more likely to showcase something either if one of their team is sitting on a load of inventory in their personal collection or if they're about to shift some in the Hodinkee shop. They claim to have a firewall between the editorial side and the retail bit but I don't believe any of it.

I've never found micro-rotors to be particularly efficient at generating a decent power reserve.

Eddie
    I may be wrong but the only Chinese microtor movement is the Hangzhou 5000A and that, weirdly, has a sub-second at 7 . Seems to have a 42 hour power reserve.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 8th January 2021 at 12:13. Reason: errant s
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    I’ve regulated my Everest 2 weeks ago and it’s running absolutely bang on - I can position it at night to speed it up or slow it down, but it’s still only varying +/- 2 secs. Just incredible. And with the movement cover the rotor isn’t noticeable at all, only when it put it close to my ear. I’ve owned watches with many different movements, but these ones are right up there for me.
    The Everest is my more accurate watch, but also the loudest by a big margin. I thought my SARB035 was loud until the Everest arrived.
    It is not just loud, you can feel the rotor moving on your wrist. Considering my ears are not getting any younger, I wonder if I got a bad apple or if I actually have hearing superpowers.

Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    The Everest is my more accurate watch, but also the loudest by a big margin. I thought my SARB035 was loud until the Everest arrived.
    It is not just loud, you can feel the rotor moving on your wrist. Considering my ears are not getting any younger, I wonder if I got a bad apple or if I actually have hearing superpowers.
    Just the way the movement is, unidirectional winding and all. It’s all good!

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzick3 View Post
    Just the way the movement is, unidirectional winding and all. It’s all good!
    I guess one could always pull off the rotor and manual wind...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    Unfortunately this is Miyota movements for you, the uni-directional rotor winding feature giving it the trademark whir & wobble.

Whilst the movements are accurate and robust, the rotor noise is something that some people (including myself) just can't seem get along with, depending on how bad the noise is, I feel that it some how cheapens the watch in my personal opinion.

Having said that and having experienced the miyota rotor noise with several other watches that I have owned, especially the 8 series movements, my Everest is by far the quietest that I have ever had, with hardly any whir or wobble at all.

Will the crystal be flat or domed, sapphire or acrylic on this model?
    Can´t help thinking some lume would be useful.

Interestingly Baltic and Hodinkee did a couple of LE sector salmon dials last year, only 100 pieces, which looked nice.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...ax-introducing
    Last edited by Passenger; 19th January 2021 at 16:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post

Can´t help thinking some lume would be useful.

Lack of lume is the bane of dress watches. Also dauphine hands and lume don't particularly mix well. How about TailLight? Mondaine call it BackLight but that is not where I got it from.

Mondaine Backlight
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSG54hdw4w

I was reading a thread on MWR...

British Watch Industry, 1963
    https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/show...-Industry-1963

On page 58 of the 1963 document (about Westclox Ltd) it states:

"On some of the luminous watches, the hands are painted on the underside. A reflected glow comes from the specially finished dial."
    I haven't managed to find any of these Westclox watches but the Mondaine Stop2go Backlight popped up. It might be worth trying on the silver Worldmaster.
    Last edited by abraxas; 21st January 2021 at 16:19.

Lack of lume is the bane of dress watches. Also dauphine hands and lume don't particularly mix well. How about TailLight? Mondaine call it BackLight but that is not where I got it from.

Mondaine Backlight
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSG54hdw4w

I was reading a thread on MWR...

British Watch Industry, 1963
    https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/show...-Industry-1963

On page 58 of the 1963 document (about Westclox Ltd) it states:

I haven't managed to find any of these Westclox watches but the Mondaine Stop2go Backlight popped up. It might be worth trying on the silver Worldmaster.
    A rather novel and nifty solution there, thanks for the info.

Screw down crown ? Domed sapphire? Any AR? I'm liking this one

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Seiko had a similar idea for their vintage M77 Sea Lion model, which featured lume on the underside of the hands as well as on the back of the indices.

Pics shamelessly stolen from the interwebs...

Late to the game and to comment - especially the version with the salmon dial is yummy (pun intended).
    If one could wish: heat-treated blue hands, maybe just the second-hand. I do realize that would be a costly mod / add.

Keeping my eyes on these, a salmon dial is missing in my collection.

Eddie

Just ordered the prototypes - prototyps received

Eddie
    Absolutely Beautiful!!! Particularly love the twisted lugs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TheGent; 27th May 2021 at 13:53.

You have my attention...! Very nice Eddie, all three are beauties. It will be tricky to decide which one to buy!

Master
    Smashing job. I won't be in the market for one but if I was I would really struggle to choose between them - they all look really excellent - well done Sir

Blog Entries
    Ohwww, those look classy, really couldn't decide which is the best looking, but the black version comes close.

Blog Entries
    Very nice - I particularly like the look of the salmon dial

z

Journeyman
    Beautiful, Eddie. Just got to work out which one!

Journeyman

Stunning!

Gorgeous! Version A is particularly fine. Love that there's no lume and no date. What is the thickness and lug to lug please Eddie?

Quote Originally Posted by Calumets View Post
    Gorgeous! Version A is particularly fine. Love that there's no lume and no date. What is the thickness and lug to lug please Eddie?
    38mm diameter,46.5mm lug to lug and 12.2mm thick. 20mm lug spacing.

Eddie

I'm in, take my money

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Did I mention that the salmon dial has a sunburst dial? Looks rather fetching.

Eddie

Journeyman
    38mm diameter,46.5mm lug to lug and 12.2mm thick. 20mm lug spacing.

Eddie
    Thank you kindly sir, that is pretty much on the money as far as I'm concerned. I'm in.

Eddie
    That is rather lovely.

Eddie
    This watch is waaaaay out my comfort zone, I don't have a watch:

• Smaller than 40mm
    • With funny hands like that
    • Has a dial that is not black nor white

...but I'm strangely drawn to the salmon dial. Now it features a sunburst dial I think I'm in.!

Looks a stunner Eddie.!

Thanks
    deano

Journeyman
    I would love to see a fully black imperial and would be interested in an Astral National design. Also the Smiths De Luxe railway service watch with case similar to the other PRS48, perhaps even gold look case

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I must say the bulls eye Is very cool though...please more 36mm, I can’t pull off a 38mm on my skinny wrists

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Absolutely love these, nice one Eddie

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Oh my goodness me. IN. Please take my money!

Expected arrival time anybody?

Journeyman
    I do really like the looks of these, but I think 46.5 mm is a bit long for a 38mm dress watch. 36 mm diameter and 44 - 45 mm lug length would be stunning.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    I do really like the looks of these, but I think 46.5 mm is a bit long for a 38mm dress watch. 36 mm diameter and 44 - 45 mm lug length would be stunning.
    Yep, that size would be perfect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post

Too small. At least the lug length gives some heft/presence, that's how Nomos gets away with a dinky little 38mm.

I'd personally prefer 39mm in this watch.