closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Learning to motorcycle

Journeyman

Learning to motorcycle

Hi guys,

I know there is a budding motorcycling community on here and I’m sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn’t find anything relevant using the search function...

I want to start a journey to an unrestricted license and was wondering if there were any recommendations for where to learn?

I’m based in south west London but have in laws near st Neots so was thinking of staying there and learning near them to save cost. The best I can find so far is to do the BMW Rookie to Rider, £650 down payment and then you can cancel the bike order they make you put through if you don’t want to get a brand new BMW at the end of it...

Anyone got any other suggestions I can steal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    Hi guys,

I know there is a budding motorcycling community on here and I’m sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn’t find anything relevant using the search function...

I want to start a journey to an unrestricted license and was wondering if there were any recommendations for where to learn?

I’m based in south west London but have in laws near st Neots so was thinking of staying there and learning near them to save cost. The best I can find so far is to do the BMW Rookie to Rider, £650 down payment and then you can cancel the bike order they make you put through if you don’t want to get a brand new BMW at the end of it...

Anyone got any other suggestions I can steal?

Phoenix Motorcycle Training
    http://www.phoenixtrainingonline.co.uk/

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just go ahead and do a DAS course, with ANY motorcycle training company, doesn't need to be BMW.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Phoenix Motorcycle Training
    http://www.phoenixtrainingonline.co.uk/
    I did speak to these guys, but the cost is closer to £900 which seems a bit steep...

I used these, https://invictamotorcycletraining.co.uk/

Genuinely good people, I got to know them personally after the course.

They are charging 880 for the 5 day, no experience course, so that will be the going rate at the moment.

Loaction wise they are no good for you, but if you email them and say someone you know used them, they may give you a recommendation for your area.

It could be the best £900 you ever spent.

Master
    I did the BMW rookie to rider programme - although mine was in the north midlands. It was a good course. The bikes and equipment were excellent and the standard of training was good. Mine was a 7 day course including CBT etc.

Prior to my course I hadn't really been on a motorcycle for almost 40 years, but that did not prove to be an issue.

One of the best things I've done.

I did speak to these guys, but the cost is closer to £900 which seems a bit steep...

Getting on two wheels for £900 sounds like a good deal to me. sometimes cheap is not the way to go.

Master
    Once you get into it, an off road course is good

I used North London Motorcycle Training. They were superb, although Edgware may be too much of a trek from St Neots.

When you take into account not just the training but use of equipment and bikes, fuel, insurance etc. I don't think that's steep.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    When you take into account not just the training but use of equipment and bikes, fuel, insurance etc. I don't think that's steep.
    Then there is the mod 1 and 2 costs which are usually included.

our neck of the woods it's £650, not inc cbt or fuel.

Journeyman
    So it seems the bmw option, which includes everything (kit, test fees, fuel etc) except the theory test and is over 7 days is a great option in terms of value and has some endorsement.

Thanks guys, I’ll let you know how I get on.

I probably wouldn't recommend a brand new BMW as a first bike anyway. Better to spend a while on something you sent mind scratching a bit. BMW bits don't come cheap

Master

Worth every penny. I speak for both me and my father

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I probably wouldn't recommend a brand new BMW as a first bike anyway. Better to spend a while on something you sent mind scratching a bit. BMW bits don't come cheap
    That’s why I checked you can do the course then cancel the bike. But cheeky but if my tastes don’t change and it rides like it looks then I’ll eventually get an r nine t so bmw will take my money...

You probably need to speak to Tony....

That’s why I checked you can do the course then cancel the bike. But cheeky but if my tastes don’t change and it rides like it looks then I’ll eventually get an r nine t so bmw will take my money...

I had an R9T waiting in the garage before I passed DAS. I used a local school up in Sheffield. I bought the bike whilst I fitted the lessons and tests around my on-call commitments as a doctor.

There are mostly pros but a few cons to getting straight off a DAS bike and onto an R9T. Drop me a PM if you want my take.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I had an R9T waiting in the garage before I passed DAS. I used a local school up in Sheffield. I bought the bike whilst I fitted the lessons and tests around my on-call commitments as a doctor.

There are mostly pros but a few cons to getting straight off a DAS bike and onto an R9T. Drop me a PM if you want my take.
    That’s a kind offer, but I do plan to start in something less expensive and lower power that I can learn on. I don’t really fancy starting on something that can bite too hard with an accidental twitch on the throttle...

That’s a kind offer, but I do plan to start in something less expensive and lower power that I can learn on. I don’t really fancy starting on something that can bite too hard with an accidental twitch on the throttle...

With respect, that’s what a DAS bike is compared with a 125. There is a definite step up that you will notice straight away.

The R9T isn’t a 200BHP 1 litre sports bike. In many respects, the crappy Suzuki DAS bike I learnt on was snappier on the throttle and harder to ride than the R9T ever was.

Good luck with your choice and ride safely.

The R9T is a great post-DAS bike. Don't make the mistake of buying something that will feel underpowered very quickly (ask me how I know).

Before you buy a bike make sure you check out what your insurance premiums will be as a new rider - bike type, engine size, value, your location and bike storage will all affect premiums.

Craftsman

Also

I can throughly recommend some form of additional training once you’ve passed your test. Most police forces do Bikesafe days but not sure how the current pandemic has affected those.

Who'd have thunk it, motorcycle is also a verb. I've learned a few things today.

Before you buy a bike make sure you check out what your insurance premiums will be as a new rider - bike type, engine size, value, your location and bike storage will all affect premiums.
    I'll never forget the shame of having to ask for my deposit back on a new GS in 2014 when the cheapest insurance quote was £3k.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'll never forget the shame of having to ask for my deposit back on a new GS in 2014 when the cheapest insurance quote was £3k.
    lol i had to do the same @17 , after passing my car test i went and put a deposit on a golf GTI without checking the insurance first (which turned out they wanted almost half the price of the car to insure)

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    lol i had to do the same @17 , after passing my car test i went and put a deposit on a golf GTI without checking the insurance first (which turned out they wanted almost half the price of the car to insure)

My traing costs were £25 for a 7 year old Honda C110 and £5 for 12months TPFF insurance...................
    but that was a "little while ago".

Merry Christmas all!

A couple of years ago I had a quote of £5500 for my 83 GPz750 with a £4000 excess because it has been modified.

Last year I got classic insurance for about £80.

Craftsman
    Oh and just in case you past your test and become a biker, it's called a Motorbike.