closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OceanX Sharkmaster Diver SMS1014 - a blue dial/bezel Rolex DSSD homage, thoughts?

Anyone else with a gritty crown thread?

Time keeping is ok, SW say they check all watches before shipping and if so they must class the gritty thread as ok.

Once unscrewed all works perfectly.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    Are you amazed that a company that is copying a design is complicit in fraud, really? Personally I am tired of these companies in general and I do not like this watch. Should you have the wish to wear a DSSD or a Cameron (which I do not) either buy the real stuff or chose another watch in your priv’ce range that is not a blatant copy or homage or fake...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Clown

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Clown
    lol this!
    I have a Sea Dweller and one of these and I’m mightly impressed.... really tempted by one of the two tone models, a cost efficient way of trying the style

Do they do any models which are 40mm or a shorter lug to lug? I'd like to try one but know it would be too large and heavy for me.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Anyone else with a gritty crown thread?

Time keeping is ok, SW say they check all watches before shipping and if so they must class the gritty thread as ok.

Once unscrewed all works perfectly.

I've just checked both of mine. When unscrewing I'd say that there is a slight grittiness, and I really do mean slight, it's probably best described as feeling a touch dry and that the tiniest dab of oil would make it butter smooth. They feel exactly the same which, based only on my two watches, says something for consistency, and I've operated crowns on more expensive watches that were no better or maybe even worse.

I know that these have Seiko's NH35 movement inside them however I wasn't expecting it to share a particular trait with the 9R65, that's to say a fine-toothed 'zip' sensation when hand winding. It's not exactly the same however the similarity is quite satisfying.
    Last edited by CardShark; 16th January 2021 at 22:01.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Do they do any models which are 40mm or a shorter lug to lug? I'd like to try one but know it would be too large and heavy for me.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk
    42mm is as small as any of the OceanX range goes, I think. The '1000' models are 44mm and everything else is 42mm.

Clown
    Very contructive and educated critique! Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I've just checked both of mine. When unscrewing I'd say that there is a slight grittiness, and I really do mean slight, it's probably best described as feeling a touch dry and that the tiniest dab of oil would make it butter smooth. They feel exactly the same which, based only on my two watches, says something for consistency, and I've operated crowns on more expensive watches that were no better or maybe even worse.

I know that these have Seiko's NH35 movement inside them however I wasn't expecting it to share a particular trait with the 9R65, that's to say a fine-toothed 'zip' sensation when hand winding. It's not exactly the same however the similarity is quite satisfying.
    Thanks, that give me some peice of mind then. Mine is gritty in both directions, I suspect the thread is not as well tapped in the case as it could be.

I would concur with CS, no real feeling of grittiness but a tiny dab of oil would make the crown feel buttery smooth, I must try that for myself.

There doesn't seem to be any smaller models from OceanX, 42mm is where they stop. I gather they haven't been around for more than a few years though so maybe we will see something in the future. A blue SD43 would be about perfect for me.

Thanks, that give me some peice of mind then. Mine is gritty in both directions, I suspect the thread is not as well tapped in the case as it could be.

Mine are the same winding out and then back in, though I only mentioned out in my post above. I did say that it feels like a dab of oil would perfect it I won't actually bother trying, for one it's not really worth it and two I wouldn't be sure how an oil might affect any seals it comes into contact with.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Mine are the same winding out and then back in, though I only mentioned out in my post above. I did say that it feels like a dab of oil would perfect it I won't actually bother trying, for one it's not really worth it and two I wouldn't be sure how an oil might affect any seals it comes into contact with.
    Good point re the oil, I will leave it well alone. It works perfectly once unscrewed and the time keeping is good as I stated earlier.

Blog Entries
    Good point re the oil, I will leave it well alone. It works perfectly once unscrewed and the time keeping is good as I stated earlier.

Steinharts can be gritty Ive found out of the 4 I've had. These are NH movement so some degree of allowance should be given . It's not going to be silky smooth and buttery in every oceanx as some people described I'd assume .

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    I find the size ok, even with my skinny wrist. What I find remarkable about this particular watch is how well the lume looks, this shot is just wearing around the house, just looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's the legibility of this one like please? It's hard to judge from the photos as it seems to vary, depending on the lighting conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    What's the legibility of this one like please? It's hard to judge from the photos as it seems to vary, depending on the lighting conditions.
    Being honest I have never had a problem with legibility with the hands and markers being white against the ice blue dial. Admittedly I haven't spent much time in the sun with the watch so any reaction to lume may affect this.

A few things that I love that surprised me about this particular watch is the sunburst dial and the bezel colour normally appearing black but occasionally in the right light showing its true dark red/brown colour.

Anyway a poor pic showing contrast of hands/markers against dial

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    Very contructive and educated critique! Bravo

You are at risk of sounding like a stuck record, though.

Personally, I think the DSSD is one of the most vulgar Rolex designs, so a homage of it is of less than zero interest to me, but people can wear what they like.

From the comments it seems, at least, that it's a well made watch.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    You are at risk of sounding like a stuck record, though.

Personally, I think the DSSD is one of the most vulgar Rolex designs, so a homage of it is of less than zero interest to me, but people can wear what they like.

From the comments it seems, at least, that it's a well made watch.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    I agree with you snowman, even if I sound like a broken record....

Being honest I have never had a problem with legibility with the hands and markers being white against the ice blue dial. Admittedly I haven't spent much time in the sun with the watch so any reaction to lume may affect this.

A few things that I love that surprised me about this particular watch is the sunburst dial and the bezel colour normally appearing black but occasionally in the right light showing its true dark red/brown colour.

Anyway a poor pic showing contrast of hands/markers against dial

That’s really useful information. Thank you so much. I’ve been on the fence about this, but I do find the colour combination very attractive and your feedback is certainly pushing me towards placing an order!

Blog Entries
    Sorry to derail the thread - has anyone ordered any of the v-series (vintage ) such as the vsms571?

That is a good looking watch Bond, I am not 100% on the hands and would need to see some real life pics to be sure. Maybe that could be from you

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    That is a good looking watch Bond, I am not 100% on the hands and would need to see some real life pics to be sure. Maybe that could be from you
    Here you go , maybe not real ' in the wild ' life but close enough. Not those ocean X stock renditions.

Thanks Bond, that looks fantastic, much better than the stock photos suggested.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Bond, that looks fantastic, much better than the stock photos suggested.
    No problem glad to help. I know what you mean about the handsets (on both for me) they look a little small in my eyes . Especially the hour hand . They don't extend out far enough

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Sorry to derail the thread - has anyone ordered any of the v-series (vintage ) such as the vsms571?

V series is a good choice.
    Not exactly 571 but you get the idea

A few more 'photos of the SMS1052, the copper that I referred to in a previous post shows well in the last shot even if the watch head itself is out of focus...

SMS1052

SMS1052

SMS1052

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I was so tempted to get one - or possibly two - of these from Watchia (going as far as working through checkout almost to the end) but decided that no matter how good they looked and fantastic value they represent, they would be too big to enjoy wearing for anything other than the occasional day. My Seiko Sumos are (AFAIK) around 170gm each and 12.5mm thick that is about as heavy and thick as I want to go.

But I still keep revisiting this thread so can't rule out weakening at some point!
    I am the same myself now a days, love the design but no longer want an uncomfortably heavy watch, some of todays extra large watches need to be made from Titanium in my opinion. Its a strange one as many a year ago the bigger and heavier the watch the better, I can only assume that it is an age thing for me, lovely watch though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    V series is a good choice.
    Not exactly 571 but you get the idea

Thanks for sharing Rajen. I believe these are lume monsters with green on the dial plots and blue on the bezel?

Anyone have or seen any write ups on their quartz gmt watches? I quite like the look of them.

I have sold my SMS1014 because while I thought it was a great size, I just couldn't live with the small dial large bezel ratio that 1000m WR dictates. This was my concern before I bought it. I am now mulling over one of their 42mm models, possibly the black dial/dark green bezel VSMS526 which looks fantastic on YouTube, the bezel is an appealing very dark green. But I like the heft of the 44mm models.

So, that brings me back to the SMS1017; the white dial should blend with the inner bezel ring to make the dial feel bigger. The dial has a lovely texture to it too. Thoughts TZ'ers, could this be the answer to my slight dislike of the 1014?

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

^^^^
    i can’t say if the white dial is better. But I have to say the dark black/blue (opulent blue) looks fine to me! Thanks for letting it go.

I have sold my SMS1014 because while I thought it was a great size, I just couldn't live with the small dial large bezel ratio that 1000m WR dictates. This was my concern before I bought it. I am now mulling over one of their 42mm models, possibly the black dial/dark green bezel VSMS526 which looks fantastic on YouTube, the bezel is an appealing very dark green. But I like the heft of the 44mm models.

So, that brings me back to the SMS1017; the white dial should blend with the inner bezel ring to make the dial feel bigger. The dial has a lovely texture to it too. Thoughts TZ'ers, could this be the answer to my slight dislike of the 1014?

There's certainly a chance that the dial will appear to be larger on that model, with the silver hobnail dial (seriouswatches website says silver rather than white) and the black lume surrounds and handset that could be a real looker, especially in the summer.

I still have my all blue 1000 as well as the rose gold 'bi-metal', the former has been my most worn watch over the last couple of months or so. I'm wearing a Sinn 104 today, as lovely as it is it looks and feels a bit puny compared to the OceanX!

You are correct CS, it is silver rather than white, there are plenty of good closeups of the dial in this video:

I really don't like buying watches without being able to fondle them first but unless I take a chance on the 1014, I will never know if it works in person. I have had a Rolex ExpII for years and the black hands and plot surrounds are some of its best features, they look fantastic and offer great legibility, so this model has the potential to be great.

I don’t think the plot surrounds and hands are black. Have a close look at the end of the video when you see the glint of silver hands.

I’m currently wearing my Sharkmaster procured from this very manor and love how something so big and chunky sits so well on my wrist. The lume is outstanding and the timekeeping is splendid. I really like the dial/bezel ratio and can’t believe I’ve waited so long to try a ceramic bezel. I haven’t noticed a gritty crown thread but the crown is definitely wobbly when unscrewed, similar to my Seiko PADI Turtle.

You are correct CS, it is silver rather than white, there are plenty of good closeups of the dial in this video:

I really don't like buying watches without being able to fondle them first but unless I take a chance on the 1014, I will never know if it works in person. I have had a Rolex ExpII for years and the black hands and plot surrounds are some of its best features, they look fantastic and offer great legibility, so this model has the potential to be great.

I think you could be right after watching the video again on a big monitor. Rather than being painted black, perhaps they are dark chrome. Either way, the dark finish aids legibility and adds depth to the dial as they appear to float above the textured dial. Still on the fence about ordering one ...

There is nothing on the net about this watch but I managed to stumble onto some pics belonging to a seller in Asia. They are taken under strong artificial light but were enough to push me over the edge. SMS1017 ordered!

Here’s my VSMS521.
    Nice vintage look, solid build and timekeeping is awesome

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andymonkey View Post
    Here’s my VSMS521.
    Nice vintage look, solid build and timekeeping is awesome

Fine looking that one.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th March 2021 at 19:03.

Yep, really like that one Andy. I spotted that pic on the Friday thread. Got any more pics to tempt us with? I did think about a 42mm model but decided to give the 44mm Sharkmaster one more chance first.

Yep, really like that one Andy. I spotted that pic on the Friday thread. Got any more pics to tempt us with? I did think about a 42mm model but decided to give the 44mm Sharkmaster one more chance first.
    I’ll take some photos tomorrow.
    It’s not been off my wrist since Thursday and is running about five seconds slow to the time on my phone.
    The whole package is amazing for the price.

Nice buy, I look forward to some pics. It is a great size at 42mm. A pity it's losing and not gaining, maybe it will settle down.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andymonkey View Post
    I’ll take some photos tomorrow.
    It’s not been off my wrist since Thursday and is running about five seconds slow to the time on my phone.
    The whole package is amazing for the price.

Try lying it face down if you don’t wear it overnight. That may counter the slowdown. Still 5sec/d is very good rate!

I don’t wear it overnight so it sits dial up when I’m not wearing it. I’ll try it dial down to see if I can speed it up

Took a daylight lume shot of this one earlier today, was going to post it in the "show us your lume" thread however I found this one first

The SMS1052 glows green with an aged orange/brown look to the plots when the glow isn't obvious, the SMS1014 I have has white plots and a brighter blue lume much like my Pelagos.

SMS1052

Thats a good photo, the lume on these watches is pretty insane, especially with the lumed bezel.

The watch arrived from Watchia quite quickly all things considered. Watchia is complying with the new UK VAT rules so I paid VAT on checkout, only to have UPS stop my parcel and charge VAT again. The service from Watchia was fantastic again and they didn't hesitate to reimburse me for the double VAT; I hope they are able to recover the money from HMRC.

Unlike my first OceanX, removing two links from the bracelet was more difficult this time. My 1.6mm screwdriver shattered on the second link and I had to wait for a replacement in the post. Finishing the job required extra care, the screws were very tight from threadlock but I was able to complete the job with a few nerves.

The watch is fantastic, the quality comes as no surprise but the silver dial adds a hint of the vintage feel and hides the inner bezel as I had hoped. The dial texture adds an extra something, for the money it's a ridiculous bargain. Let's see if this one stays for the long term, as much as I love it, I won't make any predictions on that just yet

I think I need a light tent, this was particularly hard to photograph without reflections rendering the image useless.

20210318_145426 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

20210319_145027 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

Looks great!

So, what colour are the lume surrounds and hands?

Not sure, black maybe? my middle-aged eyes cannot tell more than the photos show Legibility is good, perhaps not quite as clear as my ExpII, but that's down to the OceanX having a silver rather than a white dial