closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Think I’m done - farewell for now folks

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    One month later and I regard this thread I started as a silly one. Hotel California it is then, though I’m on the purchase abstinence sign up list. I’m selling down to the Sub, Speedy and Polar. Seamaster is gone already and the black 16570 will be going today!

Too many nice folk on here and interesting stuff to read about to turn off :)
    Glad you made a return... Cheers!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Better to accept who you are than remain in denial.... ;-P

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quite!

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    I have to agree with you. When I joined back in 2015 there was a lot of great content in here. It seems like the last couple of years the quality of whatever is being posted has fallen off a cliff.
    Most frustratingly, whenever something genuinely interesting is being posted such as a review of a vintage piece etc. It doesn’t receive the attention it should and quickly falls to the back of the grid, effectively, discouraging people for devoting the time to post something similar in the future.
    Yet the “how soon will I be on the top of the list” threads seem to get hundreds of responses without any real value added by most of them....
    There are other forums out there that seem to have managed to balance this much better than we did here

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Maybe we should ask Eddie for Rolex-only subforum?

I'm heartily sick of the "I had to buy Yachtmaster to be in with shot of a Sub" stuff.

History and horology have been trumped by five figure bling bracelets.

Give the jewellery boys their own playground and let the rest of us get back to the hobby.
    I enthusiastically support the views expressed above. A most thoughtful review of a GS earlier this week received 3 responses and less views than the most mediocre SC offerings . The Rolex lobby sometimes behaves in an insidious way towards doubters - Huertecilla's content was at least interesting. Rolex has become the pondweed of TZ UK.

The majority of people participating in Rolex only sub forum will be people saying I don’t want to buy Rolex / I am not interested in Rolex because......blah blah
    Just like the usual Rolex threads 😂😂😂

Master
    Once again I agree with you. The simple, if unpalatable, reality is that Rolex owners are hardly interested in any other make and thus tend to restrict their comments about Rolex. However there is also a contingent who spend a lot of time slagging off Rolex just because the Rolex owners enthuse about Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    I enthusiastically support the views expressed above.
    And I heartily agree too. A Rolex sub-forum would be extremely welcome.

@RAJEN I’m allergic to Rolex.*

* Rolex uses 904L steel, and the high nickel content causes an allergic reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Maybe we should ask Eddie for Rolex-only subforum?

I'm heartily sick of the "I had to buy Yachtmaster to be in with shot of a Sub" stuff.

History and horology have been trumped by five figure bling bracelets.

Give the jewellery boys their own playground and let the rest of us get back to the hobby.
    I think a Rolex only sub forum makes sense and you can be the star participant since that is all you seem to talk about these days

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Once again I agree with you. The simple, if unpalatable, reality is that Rolex owners are hardly interested in any other make and thus tend to restrict their comments about Rolex. However there is also a contingent who spend a lot of time slagging off Rolex just because the Rolex owners enthuse about Rolex.

There are quite a few members that will not waste an opportunity to have a moan about Rolex, which then continues the threads about Rolex - it’s almost funny...

The reality is that Rolex owns the luxury watch market, with an almost 25% share of the global market - the next player is Omega with only around 8.5%. Poor Longines at number 3 slot and 6.5% of the market hardly get a look in on a lot of forums (but that’s improved in the last year with a better range of watches); Patek at 6% and Cartier at 5.5% also only sporadically get the spotlight.

So just looking at the figures, it’s bloody obvious that Rolex is going to get a lot of attention. Bitching about it isn’t going to change reality.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I just cannot see the problem in being able to frequent the TZ forum on a regular basis without buying watches all the time.

I'd be happy to see the Rolex topics in a sub-forum, then I could just ignore it like the Bear Pit.

We all know what a Sub or a Daytona look like, any changes will be so small as to be irrelevant to anyone but the already interested.

The threads asking whether someone should prostitute their daughter/sell a kidney/buy a laughable undesirable Rolex to have a vague chance of being allowed to buy a stainless steel diver are, surely we all agree, tiresome too.

But, of course, they'd creep back into the general topics, because someone would ask for advice on a sub-£500 diver and in 10 posts, people would be suggesting he get down to 'his AD' to get on 'the list' and wait for 'the call'.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I hope you’ll be back. I dropped out of the watch world about 10 years ago but my interest has returned and after selling off a bunch of stuff I had hiding in my sock drawer, I’ve gone a bit “ Gary Busey” and have been having fun buying loads of stuff with a Space and Pilot watch theme. At first I thought everything was so much more expensive but it didn’t take long to readjust and find some gems.

Regards

Jon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    One month later and I regard this thread I started as a silly one. Hotel California it is then, though I’m on the purchase abstinence sign up list. I’m selling down to the Sub, Speedy and Polar. Seamaster is gone already and the black 16570 will be going today!

Too many nice folk on here and interesting stuff to read about to turn off :)

Don’t forget the TZVGTG :)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

But, of course, they'd creep back into the general topics, because someone would ask for advice on a sub-£500 diver and in 10 posts, people would be suggesting he get down to 'his AD' to get on 'the list' and wait for 'the call'.

M
    Just like pondweed!

Besides, as TZUK sells advertising and a demographic of Rolex buyers presumably attracts advertisers, so the incentive to change might not be immediately obvious.

For each of us amateurs, it really comes down to whether or not, on aggregate, we find the time spent hanging out here worthwhile and enjoyable. For myself, that depends on the variety and interest of the contributions but equally on a prevailing ethos of enthusiasm, friendliness and general good humour and I do believe certain of these fundementals have changed in recent years.

The likes of me wouldn’t be such a great loss here, but interesting and insightful contributors draw in viewers. They are scarce, carry an intangible but disproportionately high net value and their voices deserve consideration.

Pete

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Very good! Hopefully see you at another vGTG soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Don’t forget the TZVGTG :)
    You bet! I’ll be on the next one hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'd be happy to see the Rolex topics in a sub-forum, then I could just ignore it like the Bear Pit.

We all know what a Sub or a Daytona look like, any changes will be so small as to be irrelevant to anyone but the already interested.

The threads asking whether someone should prostitute their daughter/sell a kidney/buy a laughable undesirable Rolex to have a vague chance of being allowed to buy a stainless steel diver are, surely we all agree, tiresome too.

M
    But surely you can just bypass opening the threads that are obviously Rolex related? I just don’t get it. Even as a Rolex buyer/collector I ignore a huge percentage of Rolex related threads, but then I ignore other threads and topics quite easily as well.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

Lightbulb

The interest in Rolex is surely exactly what we should expect. The brand outsells all other similar brands by a large margin. All this forum does is reflect that. The logic of some of these threads is ‘ we should ignore the most popular brands.’.
    Good luck with that.