closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think I’m done - farewell for now folks

Master

Think I’m done - farewell for now folks

I think I’ve finally had my fill of collecting and flipping watches. After considering another trade or two, I realised how jaded I am with it.

I have a nice set of 5 and I’m going to go and enjoy them offline. If I even need 5...

The best way for me is to switch off from the hobby (especially tempting forums!), so I shall bid you lovely chaps farewell for now.

I’ve met some great people on here - especially on the virtual gtg’s and those few that have bought multiple of my flipped watches (always a pleasure)! Wishing you all the best :)

Have a great Christmas and new year.

The 5:

D15B1DD2-E659-478C-A1CC-4044CA71CDF7 by Berty234, on Flickr

CB3044E1-F449-4012-9F01-9B69B154A91B by Berty234, on Flickr

36471524-F78D-4205-84DE-77B5B0B263C5 by Berty234, on Flickr

F8A5EC0F-4597-44E8-A2BF-8983BD6D4F4B by Berty234, on Flickr

64564ED6-5D01-4F9E-88F6-209014718017 by Berty234, on Flickr

* Edit: ok, so having read through the replies and thought about it, maybe I’ll combine plan A (Sub, Speedy and Polar, sell the other two and then add a dress watch) with plan B (walk away with the 5) and try living with my core 3 for a while and not buy anything!
    Last edited by Berty234; 22nd January 2021 at 12:36.

Know the feeling, have found myself only really wearing my g shock recently. Have stuck around as still enjoy reading about some pieces, but the urge to expand the collection has waned.

Still have 13 or so, may think about getting rid of a couple.

Good luck wherever you end up, this year has definitely been one that has forced some thought about what is important in life

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

don’t we get to see the final 5

Good for you. Lovely collection and enjoy it offline. Have a good Christmas. TZ is a bit like Hotel California so enjoy your time away.

Its a nice 5 to bail out on (the SM and Speedy are lovely.)

Enjoy the contentment!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Master
    Best wishes! That Sub is pretty much perfection..

A nice five to enjoy a hiatus.

I sold all my watches a few years ago bar one and to be honest was quite ambivalent to that one too. Never thought I’d revisit the hobby with any vigour but interest was reignited with a Seiko release and I’ve been steadily adding to the collection since. Still enjoyed frequenting the forum though.

Think it’s cathartic to have a break. Enjoy.

Craftsman
    Life is one big change, tastes change, people change and their interests and what they enjoy can change.

Good luck and there is nothing at all wrong with it, perfectly healthy in my opinion.

Master
    You’ll be back before you know it! Want to know why? Because you don’t need a black and white explorer gmt.....

All the best mate!

I'm sure you'll be back, this watch collecting malarkey has a way of always pulling you back in. But enjoy the break and contentment for now, nice place to be.

Ta ra - Pop back and see us soon

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

See you soon

Let's see if you can double that next year.

Enjoy your break.

Master
    Done for 2020 more like.

But seriously, well done for finding your watch nirvana. Wish I can say the same.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Magnificant.. congratulations on "completing" the collection, hope I will feel the same soon...

That's a nice collection to go out on, but as others have said after a break I'm sure you will be back.

Certainly removes the temptation, the number of watches that have appeared on SC over the years that I didn't know I needed.

You’ll be back. I stepped away for a couple of years and enjoyed my collection. The desire to replace my unloved Orient Bambino was the thing that brought me back to the forum

Merry Christmas Rob and all the best to you and yours, was good to meet you on the VGTG.

Master
    Lovely collection.

scooter

Blog Entries
    Look after yourself Rob. Enjoy what ever the next phase brings you. Merry Christmas. Maybe keep in touch with any friends you have made via the forum?

Martyn.

Craftsman
    Congrats. I love all those watches and would be happy to own them too, the Sub would be my top choice.

The problem I have found with having similar watches on the same band is that my OCD kicks in and I start compare the stretch, which then triggers me to do something about it

Master
    Good to take a break from the hobby sometimes and just enjoy what you have. I’m sure you will be back at some point though!

Have a great Xmas and new year!

Master
    Thanks chaps.

Martyn - good idea. Anyone, please feel free to PM if you would like to stay in touch. I have a fair few of you on WhatsApp already from our dealings :)
    Last edited by Berty234; 21st December 2020 at 17:43.

Master
    Cheers Rob, stay safe.
    I am sure the VTG organisers can include you in the monthly meets :)
    Pm me your number so you can add me to the WhatsAp group.

Excellent collection you’ve get there, and putting the forum on hold will definitely help keep you from straying....

All the best sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every collection needs a Seiko!

All the best Rob mate, hopefully see you at a vGTG again (I’ll keep reminding you!), and hopefully at an in-person GTG in 2021.

Honestly I don’t get the sentiment Rob - there is so much more to horology than just the tantalising aspect of buying. Use the opportunity to broaden your horizons into complications, movements and things that would not normally interest you.

see you in six months or less, hell make that three or less

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Honestly I don’t get the sentiment Rob - there is so much more to horology than just the tantalising aspect of buying. Use the opportunity to broaden your horizons into complications, movements and things that would not normally interest you.
    No, that's fantasy island stuff. Most on here are only concerned with price rises, waiting lists, building a dealer relationship, warranty cards, box and papers, getting the call and then ultimately flipping their prized trinket with a healthy mark up.

Who needs to know how the damn thing works

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    No, that's fantasy island stuff. Most on here are only concerned with price rises, waiting lists, building a dealer relationship, warranty cards, box and papers, getting the call and then ultimately flipping their prized trinket with a healthy mark up.

Rather uncomfortable as to how true this is.....

Greetings from Hotel California Rob :))

That's a fine final five to go out on.

I've been feeling similar for a while. (I'm at 15-ish but total value probably a third of your lovely Swiss pieces. Maybe less.)

There's a couple of pieces I wouldn't mind owning -- including a vintage Speedie -- but I think I'd have to sell something first, partly from sheer financial necessity and partly because one in, one out is a healthy motto when you have more than you could wear in a fortnight.

Wishing the OP and everyone here as good a Christmas as possible under the circumstances and a very much improved new year.

Master
    I got burnt out about 8 years ago. Sold pretty much everything and kept just a couple watches.
    I have since bought a few things, much cheaper watches. I got a nice new Oris diver 65 in January, I haven’t even sized the bracelet and worn it yet! What a waste.
    Still nice to log in here and see what’s going on every now and then though.

Master

Think I’m done - farewell folks

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

I have to agree with you. When I joined back in 2015 there was a lot of great content in here. It seems like the last couple of years the quality of whatever is being posted has fallen off a cliff.
    Most frustratingly, whenever something genuinely interesting is being posted such as a review of a vintage piece etc. It doesn’t receive the attention it should and quickly falls to the back of the grid, effectively, discouraging people for devoting the time to post something similar in the future.
    Yet the “how soon will I be on the top of the list” threads seem to get hundreds of responses without any real value added by most of them....
    There are other forums out there that seem to have managed to balance this much better than we did here

Last edited by Ar.parask; 22nd December 2020 at 19:06.

When I posted on a 1961 Seiko Alpinists being restored I thought it might generate a bit of interest, something a little different. It did receive a handful of responses from the minority who appreciate such things, whilst at the same time 'the AD kept my warranty card' thread received over 500 responses - that sums up the way WT has gone.

Maybe we should ask Eddie for Rolex-only subforum?

I'm heartily sick of the "I had to buy Yachtmaster to be in with shot of a Sub" stuff.

History and horology have been trumped by five figure bling bracelets.

Give the jewellery boys their own playground and let the rest of us get back to the hobby.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post

I'm heartily sick of the "I had to buy Yachtmaster to be in with shot of a Sub" stuff.

Give the jewellery boys their own playground and let the rest of us get back to the hobby.
    Yes I agree, the two camps could just ignore each other and the place would be more peaceable.

Absolutely.

Craftsman
    Like many, I’ve ebbed and flowed over the years.

I’ll know I mean to go when I ask for my account to be deleted.

How does dividing it into two buckets help more than just not engaging on the threads that don't interest you? It wouldn't create more viewers of the other content, it'll have the exact opposite effect, so I struggle to see who benefits.

Obviously many enthusiasts can and do enjoy Rolex, not just 'jewellery boys'. Beyond that, Rolex is an aspirational brand and gateway for many people into the hobby, anything that increases the interest in wristwatches and horology should be encouraged IMO.

That's an amazing collection there!

Cracking collection.

See you in March. April at the latest! ❤️

But, on the Sub YM thing Rev-o,

I prefer a YM. Subs in the draw, but they are so . . . Well rough.

16622 of course. Nothing crass. But still. Sub is an entry watch. . . . Let’s not forget it . ����*♂️
    Last edited by neppip; 23rd December 2020 at 01:13.

Master
    Lovely collection. Matches my taste exactly.

You wisely bailed out before I pmd you on the 60th seamaster edition, lol.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I give it six months until having two versions of the same watch has you wondering if there’s a really great dress watch out there with your name on it. Best of luck!

Master
    One month later and I regard this thread I started as a silly one. Hotel California it is then, though I’m on the purchase abstinence sign up list. I’m selling down to the Sub, Speedy and Polar. Seamaster is gone already and the black 16570 will be going today!

Too many nice folk on here and interesting stuff to read about to turn off :)
    Last edited by Berty234; 22nd January 2021 at 12:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    One month later and I regard this thread I started as a silly one. Hotel California it is then, though I’m on the purchase abstinence sign up list. I’m selling down to the Sub, Speedy and Polar. Seamaster is gone already and the black 16570 will be going today!

Yep TZ-UK, more addictive than crack. :)

Welcome back.

Master
    Here he is...

Very good! Hopefully see you at another vGTG soon.

Master

Better to accept who you are than remain in denial.... ;-P

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app