closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Negative result

Negative result

...for mince pies

Japan has never really got to grips with the mince pie. It is considered far too sweet, domestic reviewers likening it to wet candy wrapped in sugary pastry. Walkers import their shortbread cookies and find a market year-round, but the seasonal pie eludes mass appeal. When available at all, it will be found in the more international supermarkets, in areas popular with foreigners and tourists, and likely hidden in the ethnic food aisle.

At this time of year, members-only social media support groups for marooned Brits provide daily updates as to locations and stock availability. Websites offering imported grey-market pies at inflated prices flourish. I narrowly missed a six pack of mini pies this week. With no long-standing relationship with the dealer nor history of extravagant purchases of other pies I don't really like, I admit I had little chance.

I hope you are all keeping well, in the increasingly dismal circumstances. May 2021 provide everyone a better slice of whatever pie makes you happy.

Paul

Oh dear, very sorry to hear about your trials. We love a mince pie in this house. My partner makes the mincemeat, which lasts amazingly well, and then bakes batches over the Christmas period ... perhaps making your own is the way forward?

Edited to add: thoroughly endorse your closing paragraph, please let 2021 be a significant improvement.

Master
    I’m surprised the Japanese would find anything too sweet given the extreme sweetness of the goodies we buy from Tofu Cute for the kids every now and then.

My best mate at uni would always lift the lid from a mince pie and pop a slice of Red Leicester in there. Surprisingly good!
    Last edited by benny.c; 21st December 2020 at 09:59.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    My best mate at uni would always lift the lid from a mince pie and pop a slice of Red Leicester in there. Surprisingly good!
    I could see this working, mincemeat is no different to many overly-fruited chutneys. Will give it a try should the shelves at the supermarket not be bare.

Master
    As an expat living in France I feel your pain. It's the little things that make the difference.

I spotted a posting on one of the expat sites a couple of weeks ago, whereby someone was asking if anyone wants anything bought over from the uk via click and collect, they'd be happy to bring it over for a 20e contribution towards their travel expenses. Click and collect Friday evening, they'd be on the friday night ferry from Portsmouth and it would be dropped at my door Saturday morning at 9a.m. I quickly banged in an order on the tesco website, thinking at best I had a 50/50 chance of receiving the grub that I'd ordered (possible scammer, car breaks down and order not collected etc). But the best thing was that as it would only be on the road for 12 hours, and its nice and cold in winter - I would be able to order the fresh goodies that are very difficult to come by.

Order placed, then I get admitted to hospital. The goods arrived on time, and my wife was soon stuffing herself with Tiger bread and taramasalata (amongst other things). I was released from hospital 2 days ago, and was greeted by the wondrous sight of a fridge stacked with cheddar, bacon and sausages. The cupboards have overflowed to such an extent that she's had to stack the mince pies, christmas puds, and numerous other goodies on top of the cupboards.....................it's going to be a bloody good xmas, and as I lost about 5kg in weight whilst in hospital - I shall be filling my boots

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    As an expat living in France I feel your pain. It's the little things that make the difference.

I spotted a posting on one of the expat sites a couple of weeks ago, whereby someone was asking if anyone wants anything bought over from the uk via click and collect, they'd be happy to bring it over for a 20e contribution towards their travel expenses. Click and collect Friday evening, they'd be on the friday night ferry from Portsmouth and it would be dropped at my door Saturday morning at 9a.m. I quickly banged in an order on the tesco website, thinking at best I had a 50/50 chance of receiving the grub that I'd ordered (possible scammer, car breaks down and order not collected etc). But the best thing was that as it would only be on the road for 12 hours, and its nice and cold in winter - I would be able to order the fresh goodies that are very difficult to come by.

Order placed, then I get admitted to hospital. The goods arrived on time, and my wife was soon stuffing herself with Tiger bread and taramasalata (amongst other things). I was released from hospital 2 days ago, and was greeted by the wondrous sight of a fridge stacked with cheddar, bacon and sausages. The cupboards have overflowed to such an extent that she's had to stack the mince pies, christmas puds, and numerous other goodies on top of the cupboards.....................it's going to be a bloody good xmas, and as I lost about 5kg in weight whilst in hospital - I shall be filling my boots
    Haha every cloud.

As for mince pies - home made always better but the “fresh” supermarket ones with a real generous helping of caster sugar are great.

Failing that - Eccles cakes year round!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    As for mince pies - home made always better but the “fresh” supermarket ones with a real generous helping of caster sugar are great.
    Will be having both - the best before on the shop made pies are mid january, the 2 jars of mincemeat we also ordered will be consumed in home made pies during the year.

A little disappointed that the 8 tesco finest xmas puds have a best before date of March 21........I was hoping to discipline myself to one a month, I suppose I'll just have to settle for one a week

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I could see this working, mincemeat is no different to many overly-fruited chutneys. Will give it a try should the shelves at the supermarket not be bare.
    Works beautifully - we normally have ours with blue cheese (normally Stilton), lovely!

Craftsman
    Will be having both - the best before on the shop made pies are mid january, the 2 jars of mincemeat we also ordered will be consumed in home made pies during the year.

A little disappointed that the 8 tesco finest xmas puds have a best before date of March 21........I was hoping to discipline myself to one a month, I suppose I'll just have to settle for one a week
    I’m running out and need to stock up. Will be at least 2 a day between now and jan 3rd..

Enjoy!

I am starting to think that perhaps I like the idea of mince pies better than the actual thing. Once the grail pie is found, consumption rarely stops at one. I just start fantasising about the next one. I should really be more disciplined. It's increasingly clear I simply enjoy the chase. It's lucky the box only accommodates six.

I like to heat mine up a little in the oven and serve with cream. You?

Mince pies are OK, but the daddy is the Ecclefechan Tart (also known as Borders Tart).
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I like to heat mine up a little in the oven and serve with cream. You?
    Spot on, especially if the cream has a touch of whisky or brandy added to it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I am starting to think that perhaps I like the idea of mince pies better than the actual thing. Once the grail pie is found, consumption rarely stops at one. I just start fantasising about the next one. I should really be more disciplined. It's increasingly clear I simply enjoy the chase. It's lucky the box only accommodates six.
    You should probably stick to a one in, one out rule....

Perhaps you should try one of those 'all butter' mini mince pies that have a tendency to cause terrible acid reflux.

I feel that there's always room in a collection for a minute repeater.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I've got some of their puds from last year (not even Finest) - never had a problem eating old ones.

Lets be honest here, in Japan a square mellon is a thing apparently.
    Not sure they are known for having good taste

Perfectly illustrating both the joy and the pain of this forum:

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    You should probably stick to a one in, one out rule....
    ...sound advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I feel that there's always room in a collection for a minute repeater.
    ...and wanton enablement

May all your pies be fulfilling,

TT