closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What's wrong with the Smell of Rubber

What's wrong with the Smell of Rubber

I have bought two rubber straps recently. A Zulu Diver and a Crafter Blue. Both have been scented in some way. The Zulu Diver smells very strongly of vanilla. It's not unpleasant but very strong. If I have put the watch down somewhere, my nose usually locates it before my eyes. I can actually smell it when I walk into the room. The Crafter Blue also has a kind of oily vanilla scent, but not so strong. It's not particularly pleasant though. Both straps are really nice but the smell is puting me off. I have other, older, rubber straps that don't smell at all. Is there a reason for this horrible infusion? I wish they wouldn't.

Craftsman
    Yes I have a Zulu diver too. The vanilla is quite strong, and I've had mine for around 6 months. The smell doesn't seem to dissipate either.

When you open the watch box, you notice it the most. But once on the wrist it isn't a problem for me.

Maybe submerging it in water overnight might get rid of it?

I know exactly what you mean. Every quality rubber strap you buy now has a smell impregnated in to it. I hate it.
    The smell on an isofrane tends to wear off eventually but crafter blue, Zulu etc lingers for years. The worst I have found are Marathon ( made by BC as are Zulu Diver I believe) it just lasts and lasts.

A strong smelling strap is quite ironic for a military issued watch. Their camouflage works but their position is potentially given away by the smell of vanilla or chocolate.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 21st December 2020 at 12:33.

I actually think some manufacturers add that vanilla scent. I believe it’s a sign of a good quality rubber strap.

I once had an Oris which had a strap that was heavily vanilla scented. Around the time I got it I also picked up a pretty bad stomach bug and was ill for a few days, the watch was on my bedside table and ever since I’ve associated that smell with being ill. I can’t stand the heavily scented straps anymore. Although the smell should fade over time.

Edit: based on the above, perhaps the smell doesn’t fade.
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 20th December 2020 at 22:41.

Glad I'm not the only one then. I'm sitting here at the computer and I can smell my strap. I've been swimming in the sea with the Zulu Diver but it still smells of vanilla. :( I would be interested to know if the Rubber B straps also stink.
    Last edited by Kaffe; 20th December 2020 at 22:55.

I believe that vanilla essence is added to natural rubber to keep it smelling nicer, as in it's natural state rubber has a rather unpleasant odour to it.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I must say I like it on my Zulu Diver. It certainly doesn't seem to dissipate over time.

I couldn’t tolerate it on the ZD. I bought a used watch which had a (new) one fitted and ended up selling the strap as I found the smell intolerable.

Master
    I've a Bonetto Cinturini that has retained a lovely vanilla essence for a number of years. I love the smell but cannot detect it unless I try to smell the strap (which I only do very occasionally!).
    Last edited by deepreddave; 21st December 2020 at 18:10.

Master
    Buy silicone straps instead - similar looks, probably longer lasting, no smell!

I'm with the OP on this - I do like Bonnetto's straps, they're great quality and look splendid, especially the more vintagey ones. But the smell! It's just unpleasant to me, really artificial and way too strong.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    I have bought two rubber straps recently. A Zulu Diver and a Crafter Blue. Both have been scented in some way. The Zulu Diver smells very strongly of vanilla. It's not unpleasant but very strong. If I have put the watch down somewhere, my nose usually locates it before my eyes. I can actually smell it when I walk into the room. The Crafter Blue also has a kind of oily vanilla scent, but not so strong. It's not particularly pleasant though. Both straps are really nice but the smell is puting me off. I have other, older, rubber straps that don't smell at all. Is there a reason for this horrible infusion? I wish they wouldn't.
    Shark repellant?
    Last edited by usedtobelurch; 21st December 2020 at 11:47. Reason: missing puntuation

I've just recently bought 2 Zuludiver 400's. One Black and one Blue which I will admit we're rather overpowering with the vanilla smell but after a week or so I can't notice it unless I smell the strap.
    Personally I like it but some people's sense of smell is stronger than other's so it could just be some are more sensitive in the smell department which I guess could be a bad thing in some cases but good in other's

As for the strap quality it's excellent in my view.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Id prefer a good malt whisky impregnated rubber strap......

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Id prefer a good malt whisky impregnated rubber strap......
    Now you're talking! Flavoured straps. Sounds like Kickstarter project.

What's wrong with the Smell of Rubber

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    Now you're talking! Flavoured straps. Sounds like Kickstarter project.
    I believe flavoured latex has been pioneered in other fields...
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 21st December 2020 at 18:23.

Blog Entries
    Oysterflex don’t smell, neither does the strap on a 5167A.