closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Shoulder Pain Anyone?

Shoulder Pain Anyone?

So over the last 3-4 months I’ve gone from normal right shoulder movement, to a really restrictive movement. Just came out of the blue and expected it to get better, but it hasn’t. I’m a desk jockey just turned 50 and in fairly good shape, so no obvious causes.

The worst part is the pain. I don’t normally have pain even though I now have some restrictive movement.

But, sometimes through instinct you just stretch or twist beyond what is comfortable and then the upper arm pain is so intense for about 30 seconds it literally makes me scream. Never experienced a pain intensity like it. On a scale of 1 to 10, it’s a Spinal Tap 11.

I’m being referred for an X-ray and ultrasound. Anyone else have something like this?

Master
    Sorry to read about your situation.

I have a rotator cuff issue in my left shoulder. Painful, but not to the extent you describe.

We are the same age, and I keep myself reasonably fit. Time should resolve my issue.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Frozen shoulder?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Frozen shoulder?

I’ve suffered from awful shoulder pain on and off for years which come to a head just before the first lockdown. It started about 2 years ago and due to the physicality of my job it very slowly got worse to a point where I could barely pass the wife her cuppa. I was heading to the doctors just before lockdown and was struggling for an appointment so googled the symptoms and frozen shoulder matched. Rest seemed the key however most cases disappear with little intervention.
    After the 2nd week of lockdown I realised one day that the pain had completely gone and full movement returned, since then I’ve had no other pain and had full movement.

i have the same issue have been told its a frozen shoulder by physio over the phone have been given exercises. to do which have done sod all .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I would definitely recommend visiting a reputable Chiropractor.
    It's not on the NHS, but a few sessions with the one I went to see changed my life.

I had pain in my left shoulder that gradually got worse (very painful), to cut a long story short it was a calcium growth, the surgeons went in from the back with micro grinders and camera I could see the work going on all the while they were doing it by a computer screen, clever, took a few months after the operation before pain free but good stuff and the hospital and staff were better than superb.

Craftsman
    I had similar late last year, excruciating pain in the left shoulder when raised above horizontal and sleeping was a nightmare. I work outdoors and was challenging to say the least. Was lined up for a scan but covid put pay to that. Went back to the doctor who said he could give me a cortisone, wasn't keen on taking steroids (more my mind set) but gave in. The doctor said it would last about 6 months, I instantly got relief and slowly started exercise to build the shoulder. 6 months has passed and all good, but still have to be careful. Managing rowing, press-ups, small weights and even kayaking, need to get back to swimming though after the festive period

Theres one thing for sure, theres always something as you get older and I think when injuries occur it can overload other parts of the body as you are trying to compensate for your injury

Its not fun!

I've had a similar problem with my right shoulder since March. Low level discomfort all the time, awkward to sleep on my right side and the same shooting pain if I threw anything, moved my arm too quickly or other triggers. My work has direct free access to physio and she thought it was a frozen shoulder and gave me some exercises that didn't really help the pain or mobility. To stop the pain I used the arm less and whilst less pain I also lost mobility, bad mistake.

Went to an osteopath who was brilliant, I wouldn't recommend a chiropractor for this sort of thing. Osteo got me some more mobility and then through work I did an intense 2 week rehab course. This involved daily physio and some new stretches as well as more strength work. This made a massive improvement and I ended up with a 15 min program of stretches which has really helped to improve mobility and lessen the sharp pain.

Additionally I've had x-rays to rule out osteo athritis and spurs but the best thing was an ultrasound showed acute sub-acrominal bursistis, which is the main cause of my pain. This has led to me, today,having some jabs into the bursa, to help relieve the pain and into the joint, again more pain relief and to help mobility.

If its similar to mine it can be a real long term slog but the stretching exercises I do most days have really helped.

Summing up - it can be a long term issue but does get better if you do the right thing, I found an osteopath and a good physio have been great, first physio was pretty rubbish and there can be lots of umming and ahhing from docs as the shoulder is a complex joint, don't let them fob you off!

Got it in both shoulders but the right is a real bastard. I use a combination of palliative remedies. The steroid injection worked in the left but not the right fsr. So it's CBD, paracetamol, voltarol and I've recently dug out the old Slendertone thingy to send big volts into the joint (like a superannuated Tens machine) which actually works quite well. Last resort is booze and night nurse but that buggers me up for half a next-day.

Master
    Had two years of it and about thirty physio sessions and two cortisone injections. Insisted on a scan in the end and showed various damage inc ruptured bicep tendon and torn rotator cuff. Had an operation, debraidment etc. And it’s been fine since although without a bicep tendon a bit weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I had pain in my left shoulder that gradually got worse (very painful), to cut a long story short it was a calcium growth, the surgeons went in from the back with micro grinders and camera I could see the work going on all the while they were doing it by a computer screen, clever, took a few months after the operation before pain free but good stuff and the hospital and staff were better than superb.
    I've had a subacromial decompression on both sides due to this. I was originally prescribed with steroid injections and physio, which were never going to work given the condition and prolonged the time to actually getting it sorted.

I suffered virtually zero pain on both of mine after the ops (still got loads of tramadol left!)

Master
    My wife is going through the Frozen shoulder issue and our GP has referred to an NHD Physio who has provided exercises and she too was referred for an ex-ray. She is waiting for the results but the physio is suggesting a hydro distention injection may be the way forward.

At times she is in severe agony with it, apparently Frozen Shoulder can take along time to rectify.

Master
    I had this for getting on for a year - couldn't lift my arm vertically above my head without so much of a sharp pain I'd have to scream or pass out.

Obviously just got on with it, didn't see the Doc as I'm not really ill...
    Good grief it hurt like a (*&(*&*&stard.

Then it seemed to sort itself out over a week (unless my brain has just switched off that part of the pain receptor).
    Only down side is by elbow now hurts and I cant even pick up a cup of tea without a yelp and have to use the other hand underneath.

Will bury my head in the sand and see what it's like in a year :(

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    I've had a subacromial decompression on both sides due to this. I was originally prescribed with steroid injections and physio, which were never going to work given the condition and prolonged the time to actually getting it sorted.

I suffered virtually zero pain on both of mine after the ops (still got loads of tramadol left!)
    Same for me
    Operation on right shoulder now all fine
    Left shoulder now starting had injection but didn’t work
    So its going to be another operation when all this covid madness is over

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If anyone's in need of a surgeon in the SW London area, I'd thoroughly recommend this one:

https://www.newvictoria.co.uk/consul...iles-heilpern/

Craftsman
    Some of the symptoms on this thread sound a bit like what I have. Brachial Neuritis aka Parsonage Turner syndrome. Google it and see if it fits your experience. Not pleasant but it passes eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    My wife is going through the Frozen shoulder issue and our GP has referred to an NHD Physio who has provided exercises and she too was referred for an ex-ray. She is waiting for the results but the physio is suggesting a hydro distention injection may be the way forward.

At times she is in severe agony with it, apparently Frozen Shoulder can take along time to rectify.

Hydrodilatation https://www.wsh.nhs.uk/CMS-Documents...dilatation.pdf (PDF download). The info sheet also has some exercises that may help.

Wow, I posted this at 11pm last night and over the graveyard shift maybe thought a couple of people would chime in.

It seems like shoulder pain is much more widespread than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    So over the last 3-4 months I’ve gone from normal right shoulder movement, to a really restrictive movement. Just came out of the blue and expected it to get better, but it hasn’t. I’m a desk jockey just turned 50 and in fairly good shape, so no obvious causes.

The worst part is the pain. I don’t normally have pain even though I now have some restrictive movement.

But, sometimes through instinct you just stretch or twist beyond what is comfortable and then the upper arm pain is so intense for about 30 seconds it literally makes me scream. Never experienced a pain intensity like it. On a scale of 1 to 10, it’s a Spinal Tap 11.

I’m being referred for an X-ray and ultrasound. Anyone else have something like this?
    Twice in the right shoulder, and once in the left. I'm getting the odd niggle in the left that suggests another bout may be incoming. Steroid injections helped with the right shoulder, but didn't touch the left. My consultant was going to do hydrodilatation, but it got better by tself.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Will bury my head in the sand and see what it's like in a year :(
    Don’t do that. That what I’ve done for 3 months, but COVID is no excuse.

I used the LIVI app and saw a GP for free online.

The online GP then requested a X-ray and ultrasound.

All done from the comfort of my home. Highly recommended. God bless the NHS.

Had shoulder issue since about May, in the rear deltoid area. You don't say where your pain/restriction is. Anyway after trying rest I did a bit of Googling and found a load of exercises and stretches for shoulder impingement. I've been doing them most days for about 5 weeks and the improvement is good. The only thing I can't really do in the gym is wide grip chins. Mobility isn't the same as the other yet, but it's improving and the movements causing pain are getting less. Impingement is the main cause of shoulder pain for people who spend a lot of time at a desk.

Everything I read suggested movement was better than rest, although I appreciate that's contentious without a diagnosis. I fing the stretches and exercise hurt while doing them,but that quickly subsides and they ultimately improve things.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The typical pattern of a frozen shoulder is pain, then pain and stiffness, then stiffness (ie loss of range of movement) and it can take around 2 years to regain full movement without treatment. Treatment is often focussed on pain relief in the early stages (especially if it's stopping the patient sleep) and then exercise to regain range of movement - or to try to optimise the rate at which movement naturally returns. Resolution is not usually quick however you address it - though unless you need to do overhead activities in your normal life, the final stage is a lot less problematic overall than when it's painful.

With anything as disruptive as the symptoms you describe, I would get a proper assessment by your GP or physio to determine the diagnosis and discuss management options.

ATB

Jon

I would highly recommend a consultation with Lennard Funk @ theshoulderdoc.co.uk
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I injured my shoulder playing squash back in February - googled around and asked on here and I think I probably damaged the rotator cuff somehow. Was about to see the doctor (after I got into a cab awkwardly in London and for a horrible moment felt light headed from the pain in my arm) for a proper diagnosis when COVID intervened and we were all forced into lockdown. A few months of heat / ice and gradual built up of movement has seen it recover to 90% I’d say and I’m back playing again... well, until tonight!!!!

Good luck. I have to say I was in a lot of pain for a while; nasty injury

I managed to rip the bicep tendons out my elbow the other day... that hurt! Waiting for surgery to reattach them now

Quote Originally Posted by darko View Post
    I managed to rip the bicep tendons out my elbow the other day... that hurt! Waiting for surgery to reattach them now

I understand you need to get those reattached within 3 weeks or so or it can't be done, so if they're delaying consider paying. Friend of mine did his when he was installing a wine cooler. He didn't realise he'd done it until someone pointed it out in the gym a couple of weeks later. He was almost too late. The good news is that 6 months later, the affected arm was stronger than the other, even though it's his non-dominant arm.

Amazing how many people with shoulder pain, not only that but a lot started this year! i am a 30-year veteran at sitting at a desk 8 hrs a day 5 days a week, retired in april, hit the manual work hard, within 2 months started getting pain in both shoulders same pain on the outside of the arm at the shoulder joint, first intermittent then more frequent till permanent, last 4 months in constatant pain difficult to sleep(i have always slept on my side) so after x-ray left shoulder all clear, right signs of arthritis,i am sure its down to rotor cuff but doc has suggested steroid injection had one in right, eased paint not gone due one in left on tuesday, but has asked to be refered to hospital muskoskelital dept, ongoing!

Craftsman
    Last year, I had terrible rotator cuff pain in my right shoulder. I self-referred myself to physio and ultimately had a cortisone injection which together, cured me. I was given an exercise band to do various exercises with and they really helped.

Craftsman
    Frozen shoulder and Bursitis for me (confirmed by MRI). Have been seeing an osteopath since August, initially every week. I feel I am back to 85% from the awful beginning when pain was excruciating on any type of over-stretch.

Sessions started off with light stretches, but not to pain points as this causes tensing up.

Started using a lacrosse ball against a wall to act as pressure/massage point on tense external shoulder and under arm rotator cuff. Keep it still rather than roll it around. Pain will subside on the pressure point. It will release tension.

Use a yoga/gym ball to roll out a gentle stretch.

After 3 months, I started strengthening exercises using stretch bands.

I'm now seeing the osteopath once a month.

I am now at a point where I can do DIY without worrying about my shoulder spiking me with pain.

See a doctor or osteopath. Some good stretches available on YouTube too, once you have an inkling of the problem. Best of luck.

Try some Accupuncture, that helped my capsulitus and rotator cuff muscle reducing the inflammation. I also had an osteopath work on it too, so both treatments have made the condition bearable.

Hope it improves soon.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I've had rotator cuff and impingement injuries many times as a result of not warming up properly before hitting the weights. Many injuries are a result of poor mobility, imbalances and flexibility and other muscles compensating for this. In many cases a programme of dynamic mobility/flexibility exercises will help and also prevent the same thing happening again. I'm saying this but have myself to blame for not following my own advice, hence I have a niggling shoulder injury myself :(

Currently waiting on surgery to reattach my bicep tendon at the elbow after ripping it last week. Suffered with various shoulder dislocations over the years; started when playing cricket.
    I’m guessing problems elsewhere in my arm/ shoulder joints have led to compensation by other muscles and tendons leading to more problems.

Do not assume that shoulder pain is something that will be cured by a visit to a chiropractor or osteopath.

Some twenty years ago a girlfriend of mine made the same mistake, despite me urging her to at least go to a doctor to get things x-rayed and checked first before seeking alternative treatments. She didn't and a year down the line died in her early fifties of bone cancer in her shoulder ...... Better safe than six feet under ....

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I had a shoulder issue about 2 years ago....got progressively worse and used to wake me up constantly when I moved around at night. As a result I was getting chronically knackered. I was convinced it was something to do with the rotator cuff and I was sure I could narrow it down to an incident when I was shifting a washing machine. The doctor wouldn’t have a bar of it and just said to take over the counter pain relief. I had to strenuously discuss with him before he was prepared to take it further. Short version was it was established to be an issue with the rotator tendon rather than the cuff and required an intensive course of physiotherapy followed by a few months of being careful with that shoulder.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    Do not assume that shoulder pain is something that will be cured by a visit to a chiropractor or osteopath.

Some twenty years ago a girlfriend of mine made the same mistake, despite me urging her to at least go to a doctor to get things x-rayed and checked first before seeking alternative treatments. She didn't and a year down the line died in her early fifties of bone cancer in her shoulder ...... Better safe than six feet under ....
    Totally agree. Several years ago I had shoulder pain, identical pain in left right shoulder joints and in the exact same positions which I thought was odd. Went to the doctor who checked me over and then took a blood sample, thought nothing of it and when I went back she said blood was clear. I initially thought it was strange taking a blood sample but she explained that it was to see if there was any cancers causing the issue. The pains went after a few months, so never knew to this day what it was all about but like Artistmike says - never assume, Better safe than six feet under

I had frozen shoulder few years ago. Hard to raise arm above shoulder height. Bloody painful.

Think he said it normally occurs in opposite favoured arm and cause is a mystery.

Dr. referred me to physio. Prescribed exercises which I never did. Eventually went away.

Journeyman
    I had awful shoulder pain last month and it was waking me up at 4 every morning.
    Pain killers didn't work. Deep Heat spray didn't work. Stick on patches didn't work.
    Doctors wouldn't prescribe stronger pain killers and sent me to see a physio. Within seconds of the consultation he said that he could see what the problem was - can't remember the exact name but a shoulder bone had rotated slightly causing strain on the soft tissue around it.
    He gave me some exercises which I did every day.
    Eventually I found my own solution.
    Pretty sure it has been caused by my work from home set up. I got a stand to raise the laptop, new separate keyboard and office chair and immediately found an improvement.
    The bad news is I have now developed Sciatica!!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman53 View Post
    I had awful shoulder pain last month and it was waking me up at 4 every morning.
    Pain killers didn't work. Deep Heat spray didn't work. Stick on patches didn't work.
    Doctors wouldn't prescribe stronger pain killers and sent me to see a physio. Within seconds of the consultation he said that he could see what the problem was - can't remember the exact name but a shoulder bone had rotated slightly causing strain on the soft tissue around it.
    He gave me some exercises which I did every day.
    Eventually I found my own solution.
    Pretty sure it has been caused by my work from home set up. I got a stand to raise the laptop, new separate keyboard and office chair and immediately found an improvement.
    The bad news is I have now developed Sciatica!!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    I think my problems are due to my WFH set-up. I suffer from RSI at the wrist and elbow. The shoulder feels like at natural progression.

All these 5 years olds brought up and the keyboard and mouse. It’s going to be a chronic problem for the next generation. It took me 25 years to get my RSI. Some of these kids will have it by the time they are 30.

I suffered years ago from shoulder pain. I guessed it was using the mouse, so I swapped hands. Gradually my right shoulder got better (yippee) but then I started to get the same issue in my left shoulder (boo.)
    So I bought a finger operated trackball. No more holding my arm up to move the mouse, instead the wrist rests on the desk. Problem solved.

I've been in a similar situation to others it seems. Ever since lockdown and working from home, I've had back and shoulder problems. Despite working in an office environment for too many years, I've rarely spent extended periods sat behind a desk - there is always a meeting to go to, somebody to find and talk to, coffee to buy and drink.

Lockdown starts, Zoom hell begins, and suddenly I'm spending 10-hours a day in the same place. My body can't cope. I bought a lovely new chair and that helped, but the biggest improvement came from buying a height adjustable desk. It gives two different benefits - I can stand regularly and alternate between sitting and standing, which has helped significantly. However good your chair is, sitting for an extended period will screw you up. But also, having the height adjustment means I can get the combination of the chair height and desk height perfect for me, so I'm not hunching my shoulders while typing.

The first few weeks were horrible as I adjusted, it felt like my shoulders were being pulled downwards and out of position. But now it's a revelation! As a bonus, when I start getting a bit tired, I find standing and working gives me renewed focus and concentration. I can also shuffle about more, stretch a bit, and generally move more and avoid the aches and pains I had before.

I have been using a heat pad (the type you heat in the microwave)the last few Days and it seems to have helped

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

As Op I thought I'd come full circle on this in case it helps anyone else in the future. I have BUPA through my job so managed to fast track myself and had an appointment with an orthopedic consultant last week. Within 5 seconds he said that's a frozen shoulder, but we'll send you for an MRI to rule out arthritis or any other insidious disease.

He was spot on and it is a frozen shoulder. He said because I'd delayed presenting and had been through the freezing very painful phase for a few months, I'm now in the frozen/early thawing phase. He said it can take 2 years to clear, but it will go away. Interestingly he said that if you go through the NHS the waiting lists are so long that it often sorts itself out before you get it treated.

As I'm over the worst of the pain for now, he has prescribed physio, but if that is too painful I will need a cortisone/dilation injection deep into the shoulder.

Who knew a frozen shoulder could be so bad?

Journeyman
    have a look through the diagram on the link and see if it helps shed light on what the issue might be https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/shoulderandel...2010poster.pdf

as other's have said, see a Doc and push for a scan if you can.
    acupuncture and other therapies can help, but always best to try and establish exactly what the issue is first

As Op I thought I'd come full circle on this in case it helps anyone else in the future. I have BUPA through my job so managed to fast track myself and had an appointment with an orthopedic consultant last week. Within 5 seconds he said that's a frozen shoulder, but we'll send you for an MRI to rule out arthritis or any other insidious disease.

He was spot on and it is a frozen shoulder. He said because I'd delayed presenting and had been through the freezing very painful phase for a few months, I'm now in the frozen/early thawing phase. He said it can take 2 years to clear, but it will go away. Interestingly he said that if you go through the NHS the waiting lists are so long that it often sorts itself out before you get it treated.

As I'm over the worst of the pain for now, he has prescribed physio, but if that is too painful I will need a cortisone/dilation injection deep into the shoulder.

Who knew a frozen shoulder could be so bad?
    Post 3&4?
    Glad it’s sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Post 3&4?
    Glad it’s sorted.
    Good initial call. You where spot on.

You’re wasted in the motor trade!

Good initial call. You where spot on.

You’re wasted in the motor trade!
    I can instal a grease nipple that might help.