closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2021.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    This must be the most pointless thread ever. How many of you have the ability to remain resolute.
    Mike* some people like to have a bit of fun - it’s harmless and humorous. You should have a go son :-)

* Martyn called you this on another thread accidentally I’d imagine (or maybe he sees you as a Mike? Might be worth asking him) and I found it funny. Apologies I’m quite juvenile

I’ve bought 4 watches this year.

I respectfully withdraw myself from this thread.

See you all in January.

Hmmmm... now sold 2 and bought 2.

To be fair, I NEEDED a new chronograph to time my wife’s contractions.

Master
    I've not bought any yet... however it's my birthday in a couple of days and I know I'm getting amazon vouchers.

Vostok watches look nice....

Master
    I think I failed to submit my membership application when this club was setup (I was distracted buying a watch).

Having bought three watches this week I suspect my application would be somewhat insincere and lacking the commitment to abstinence. However, I wish you all well and if you branch out to a group that help break addictions or offers relationship counselling please do let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    This must be the most pointless thread ever. How many of you have the ability to remain resolute.
    I don't know Mick, but perhaps you're right, a little throwaway fun shouldn't be encouraged.

Anyway, now that Annie Wilkes has had her say, let's get back on topic.

I have sold some and bought nothing this year, I have remained resolute and remain resolved to remaining resolute.

I’m out

I've sold two and bought none so far this year.

Won't last much longer I reckon but we'll see.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I don't know Mick, but perhaps you're right, a little throwaway fun shouldn't be encouraged.

Anyway, now that Annie Wilkes has had her say, let's get back on topic.

I have sold some and bought nothing this year, I have remained resolute and remain resolved to remaining resolute.
    You are the perfect role model for others to emulate.

I joined a different club today, a watch stolen from the packaging.

Nothing particularly special, a Davosa Axis, a sort of field watch in the mould of the Tudor Ranger. Ordered just yesterday afternoon from watchshop.com, I was impressed to find it sitting on my doorstep this morning!

On picking up the box, it was clear some corners had been cut... this "box" was a cardboard sleeve with the Davosa box slipped inside. Not secured, not sealed with tape, nothing. A far cry from the usual watchshop packaging; a brand new box padded out with polystyrene chips.

If the guys in the warehouse aren't being particularly conscientious, some kudos go to Stuart in customer services, I sent off an email and received a quick, polite and apologetic response. As the watch is now out of stock I'm getting a refund.

And after all that preamble, I suppose the point is that I don't need to hand in my membership card for this illustrious club!

That really sucks. Loved the look of that Davosa.

Although a new (old) watch arrived yesterday, I'm still at +2 for the year, as it was traded against another in my collection.

Yeah, that's right, I can stop at any time man... ANY. TIME.

Journeyman
    Last year I got 5 more taking me up to 12 and was happy till a few weeks ago I got the urge to look at forums in the sales corner. 2 more watches have arrived since then and still not quite there. A full watch box has not deterred me, just put them in the drawer

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I've bought only 2 watches in the last 12 months. Very proud of that fact.

I was doing really well, then lockdown happened and I've rediscovered the love - i'm oot.

Back to level par for the year.......saving for a 233 now....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Th-th-th-THREAD-NECRO!

...aaand it's purely to parade some insufferable smugness... . . . ...behind which lies the inevitable guilty secret...

Like everyone in this thread I started 2021 resolved to buy no-more watches . . .

A resolution that didn't even last the length of January, as I bought a used Tissot Seastar chrono on the 31st, albeit a model I'd been looking-for for a good while.

I resolved once again to knuckle-down and sell some of the FAR-too-many-watches and buy no-more.

That got me as far as March, by which time I'd bought a (bargain, honest) Damasko DC56 and sold a grand total of 0 watches...

Cometh April, cometh a slight change of habit and I actually traded something I already had for a nice Damasko DSub3: 1 in / 1 out!

Things finally kicked-off properly this month, during which I have sold, donated or traded 7 watches - all at a nice satisfying loss you'll be pleased to hear, and not all of them here (lest Eddie slap Evil Dealerscum Tax on me ).

So, by the wonders of Man Maths, I now consider I am at -6 for 2021, with more stuff to flog at a swingeing-loss in due course...

There is, however, a reason, as I'm raising funds to pay for this beauty . . .

That’s a mighty fine looking damasko

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    That’s a mighty fine looking damasko
    It needs to be - full fat new price + I've let some items go which I didn't think I would ever sell!

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    It needs to be - full fat new price + I've let some items go which I didn't think I would ever sell!
    What does that model set one back?

Brothers and sisters, I bought another watch.
    I'm doing fine though for the year:
    • 2 in
    • 5 out
    • 1 on SC

I may not be abstinent but I'm heading in the right direction.

Started the year with two, but now have 5, however that doesn't tell the full story.

I reckon I have bought and sold again somewhere between 10 and 15 watches, so 20 to 30 transactions and we are still in May.

Happy days..

Master
    So far i haven't bought a watch this year and went the whole of 2020 without buying one.

However there have been one or two on SC that would have been mine if i hadn't dithered.

What does that model set one back?

Um...

[whisper] £2900 [/whisper]

Still on zero purchases for the year!

Sold a few and did have one watch arrive with me after an extended trip away; my Bell and Ross which doesn't count because I bought it last year.

Craftsman
    Still in.

I'm at 0 out and 0 in.

Still a few on the wants list.

should any of them appear on SC it could spell the end of abstinence.

Um...

[whisper] £2900 [/whisper]
    Ooft and yet a palatable ooft

Ooft and yet a palatable ooft

The headvoices agree with you...

That Damasko is superb. Is there no discount on that? Surely Jura would do at least 10% unless it is a limited edition?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Managed 2 years 2019/20 none in or out after a fairly major reshuffle in 2018.
    So far this year 6 out and 1 in, 1 more hopefully to go out and 1 possibly 2 more
    to come in.
    The ones in won’t exceed the total value of the ones out.

I was going to say how well I was doing, but I checked and I've bought 4 watches since January 1st!

Oh dear, not so well, then...

Still, I have moved the same number on, so it's not all bad news!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 18th May 2021 at 15:12.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    That Damasko is superb. Is there no discount on that? Surely Jura would do at least 10% unless it is a limited edition?
    It's a brand new model, a special order for the orange chrono hands, plus I've asked for some extra buckles and straps, and the trade-in value for my watch was high end of market rate for it, and certainly more than I could have got for it here, so overall, no bargain, but satisfactory.

Also means I don't have to deal with Jura...

It's a brand new model, a special order for the orange chrono hands, plus I've asked for some extra buckles and straps, and the trade-in value for my watch was high end of market rate for it, and certainly more than I could have got for it here, so overall, no bargain, but satisfactory.

Also means I don't have to deal with Jura...
    Ah fair enough. Enjoy it as it is stunning

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3 in 1 out - not me best year but not my worst.

2 in none out and I'm most likely not done yet either. I'm on track to pay the mortgage off though plus I'm going to open a S&S ISA as soon as I've worked out who to use and how to do it 😆

5 out 5 in.

Just jogging on the spot. If I can get my Cermit I would definitely be able to commit to no more ins or outs for the rest of the year.

I've not been keeping track of sales this year, all I know is that sold some but didn't buy anything.

Sadly, that is at an end. I fell off the wagon last week, buying two in the space of two days. Clean for almost five months then two days of debauchery and the rest of the year in shame.

I started with good intentions, this thread was supposed to be the big declaration, the thing that would force me to maintain abstinence. And it's gone.

Oh well, f**k it, the two incomings are 100% worth it.

... Oh well, f**k it, the two incomings are 100% worth it.

C'mon then, let's have the rest of the confession!?

__________________________________________________ ____

Quite pleased with progress so far, after a rocky start -

PURCH'D 2021:

1. Tissot Seastar
    2. Damasko DC56
    3. Damasko DSub3 (part-traded)

SOLD 2021:

1. Damasko DC56
    2. Bulova Devil Diver
    3. Citizen Brycen
    4. Citizen Promaster Tough chrono
    5. Ollech & Wajs P-104 (traded for Damasko DSub3)
    6. Oris Aquis Small Seconds (part-ex'd)
    7. Q&Q
    8. Yema Superman Heritage
    9. Glycine Combat Sub
    10. Certina DS Active

I'll draw a veil over the losses incurred on most of them...

C'mon then, let's have the rest of the confession!?
    I wasn't going to say anything, just casually drop them into a Friday thread at some point, but what the hell.

Wednesday saw me try and fail to buy the Ming x Massena. The hype was through the roof and the website crashed. The sale was put off to the next day, the same day as Kurono were releasing their Toki. I fancied both but only intended on buying one; with the Ming originally slated for release the day before the Kurono, the Kurono was the back-up plan.

It was beyond hope I was going to get my hands on one of the Mings so I plumped for the Kurono instead. The ten minute window opened up and I bought one.

A little while later, I thought I'd try for the Ming again. Predictably, the website crashed again. After smashing the refresh button for around an hour, I saw the announcement on Instagram that the watches would now be allocated by lottery. Again, I gave up hope, consoled by my Kurono.

But then the email came through! I was amongst the first 50! Naturally, I went for the honey, it'll be with me in a couple of months.

Zero f**ks given, totally worth it.

Nearly 6 months in..... Not one purchase made. Not even a strap.

Why? Well, after years of flipping, the last watch I bought in late 2020 really is perfect for me. Haven't felt the need to look around at all and wear it daily.

Master
    Last year zero, this year 2 so I'm off the wagon again.
    Watch collecting always reminds me of that line in the Eagles song. Hotel California.

"You can check- out anytime you like
    but you can never leave"

Lost count of the ins and outs, but the important figure is that I now have 4 watches, which is where I want to be. I sold that Airborne 80 limited edition G10 on e-bay in a few hours, didn't even bother to list it here. The watch kitty is fairly full if any of the early CWC watches on my WTB become available.

For once I'm just going to sit and wait and do nothing and see what shows up.

Master
    I think I have managed not to buy a watch so far this year. Much improved on my 2020 performance.

I did in theory receive 1 by courier but that doesn’t count as it was ordered last year.

I am hoping to make it through to Q4 without purchase. Once we get there who knows… could be the whole year.

Well done to all of those sticking with it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I think I have managed not to buy a watch so far this year. Much improved on my 2020 performance.

I did in theory receive 1 by courier but that doesn’t count as it was ordered last year.

I am hoping to make it through to Q4 without purchase. Once we get there who knows… could be the whole year.

Well done to all of those sticking with it.
    It gets easier, year by year. I bought one last year and don’t plan any for this season. Somehow, you enjoy your solitary watch rather more.

I wasn't going to say anything, just casually drop them into a Friday thread at some point, but what the hell.

Wednesday saw me try and fail to buy the Ming x Massena. The hype was through the roof and the website crashed. The sale was put off to the next day, the same day as Kurono were releasing their Toki. I fancied both but only intended on buying one; with the Ming originally slated for release the day before the Kurono, the Kurono was the back-up plan.

It was beyond hope I was going to get my hands on one of the Mings so I plumped for the Kurono instead. The ten minute window opened up and I bought one.

A little while later, I thought I'd try for the Ming again. Predictably, the website crashed again. After smashing the refresh button for around an hour, I saw the announcement on Instagram that the watches would now be allocated by lottery. Again, I gave up hope, consoled by my Kurono.

But then the email came through! I was amongst the first 50! Naturally, I went for the honey, it'll be with me in a couple of months.

What a pair of absolute stunners - they're so nice I'm unashamedely quoting the whole post, pics'n'all. Damn, that Ming is amazing! I wasn't convinced by the prepub pics, but just wow!

Yeh, if you're gonna fall off the wagon - what a way to go!

Brilliant to see a few of these new Mings go to forum members. Congrats!

Cheers chaps. I feel like I missed the boat with the first Mings, I liked the look but baulked at the price in the world of £2-300 microbrands, a big mistake. The copper 17.06 has been something I've wanted for the past couple of years but no way was I paying someone a big premium... yet now Ming is a little more established I'll happily pay the asking price on these new ones, a couple of times more expensive than the early models. Of course, undoubtedly a part of that is knowing that I'll likely make a few quid if I decide to sell, but as with everything I buy, it's for me to enjoy.

Craftsman
    I’ve gone from 50+ to around 30. Still got some more to sell. The current goal is 20. I’ve got my name down for a Tudor BB chrono, DJ 41 and Daytona. Not buying anymore apart from those 3 if they come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I failed ...

...but I got to the mid-May before I succumbed ( & I did let one go to fund it ).

z

Well, it will be June in a couple of days and I still haven’t bought anything this year. So I’m quite pleased with myself.

Mind you, I have been dealing with a few health issues so buying watches has not really been at the top of my agenda.

Still need to sell a few though

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I'm doing fine though for the year:
    • 2 in
    • 5 out
    • 1 on SC

I may not be abstinent but I'm heading in the right direction.
    I will end the year with less watches than I started it with and I will see you again in December for the 2022 Abstinence Club.