closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2021.

Sniffing round something on ebay...

Need to stay away from the drink this w/e or...

God, I suck...

I didn’t pledge my allegiance to this thread at the start of the year, but fully subscribed to it (in my own mind). I just received a free spring bar in the post: does that count as a violation?

After seeing jocke's collection I ask myself 1 question........

What would jocke do.......

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Does buying out of compassion count?

It was sitting on SC looking very lonely so I thought I would take it in......

Just one month in and I've fallen off the wagon. God I suck

And for a Tissot, albeit one I've been looking for at a sane price for a couple of years-ish.

Not that anyone else in their right mind would consider it desirable...

Yeesh.

One month in and all going well:
    • No watches bought
    • Two watches sold

I'm not counting:
    • the watch I 'sold' on Ebay that I was never paid for (so didn't send)
    • the watch I bought for my daughter
    • the watch I sold for my daughter

I did waver for a minute when I saw Eddie's 'gilt' PRS-25 but the chances of me being online at the exact 14 seconds it's on sale on a few Sundays in 2021 are slim.
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 1st February 2021 at 16:19.

One month down, holding strong here. I'll admit that part of why I've been able to hold out is a watch that had been sent off in 2020 for repair. I didn't really get to enjoy it at all so I'm looking forward to its return as a "new" watch.

Craftsman
    So far so good.....
    That Doxa in SC is giving me some shakes though.

A Damasko DC57 could tip me over the edge though.....

Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    That Doxa in SC is giving me some shakes though.
    I wobbled over that - it's an absolute beaut, and for me quartz is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    A Damasko DC57 could tip me over the edge though.....
    You may be "lucky" and not get tempted, there seem to be ten DC56s for every DC57 that's out there...

Master
    The problem for me is this thread started a year too late...i didn't buy a single watch in 2020 and got down to 3 watches.

Lockdown and 12 months of not buying a watch is really causing me to struggle.

If the right watch appears on SC...

I lasted just under a month and a half. The Baby Dreadnought on SC broke my resistance as I was after a daily wearer.

Been a busy two months. Sold the Daytona, bought a GS Godzilla, sold a Godzilla. Bought a CWC 1983 RN Reissue special edition, sold a CWC. Took delivery of two Undone Watches and a Zelos Meteorite watch all ordered and paid for during late 2020, sold all three.

Current SOTC:

Watch buying intentions for the rest of 2021: nothing...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Been a busy two months. Sold the Daytona, bought a GS Godzilla, sold a Godzilla. Bought a CWC 1983 RN Reissue special edition, sold a CWC. Took delivery of two Undone Watches and a Zelos Meteorite watch all ordered and paid for during late 2020, sold all three.

Current SOTC:

Wow Ken, I like it!!! How did you manage to get on the list

Current SOTC:

Blimey, Ken, I thought you had vowed to calm down a bit . What happened?!

And no, I really can’t see you staring at an empty wrist all year!

Simon

Current SOTC:

Slow start to the year by your standard I'd say....

Doesn't the wrist feel naked?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Slow start to the year by your standard I'd say....

Doesn't the wrist feel naked?
    It does feel a little strange

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Blimey, Ken, I thought you had vowed to calm down a bit . What happened?!

And no, I really can’t see you staring at an empty wrist all year!

Simon
    I just feel a little lost at present on the watch front. The temptation is to revisit watches that I have owned in the past and that tends to be the source of the problem as it's rarely the answer and leads to more flipping.

Not sure what I want next. I keep an eye on SC, but as the wife wisely says, you are buying something that's been offered and not something that you actually want. She wants me to think about it and try and decide what I actually want rather than what happens to appear for sale.

I was hoping those Omega Snoopy's would be out by now as a few are bound to end up on SC or failing that the Speedmaster Moonphase with the footprint. There was a nice blue one on the other week, but it was the ceramic case, had it been the steel version - who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Wow Ken, I like it!!! How did you manage to get on the list
    No more lists for me, I've not been offered anything from a list yet. I lack your perseverance (or luck) on that front.

Apprentice
    So far so good, with no watch purchased yet in 2021.

Master
    It does feel a little strange
    I was hoping those Omega Snoopy's would be out by now as a few are bound to end up on SC or failing that the
    The boutiques are getting the snoopy moon watch these have been and have been distributed already.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    The boutiques are getting the snoopy moon watch these have been and have been distributed already.
    I paid my deposit on one last year and am waiting patiently for it too arrive. I think there’s more chance of them eventually sending my deposit back rather than the watch based on the huge level of interest versus the potential future supply. I haven’t given up hope yet though !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    I’ve gone the other way, bought 5 in a month, hence the slightly desperate sales posts in sc...
    Pretty much the same story my end. Bought 5 in the space of 12 days and was doing well keeping them a secret until my Mrs found my secret stash of boxes !!!

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I registed my e-mail address with a few stores and on the Omega main website. Didnt pay any deposit, but equally haven't heard anything yet.

I don't think we have had one on the forum yet, just pics from other forums.

Master
    Do you only go over par on collection of a watch? Asking for a friend obviously

Do you only go over par on collection of a watch? Asking for a friend obviously
    Started 2021 with two watches. Despite the comings and goings I currently have no watches (therefore -2 below par). I have ordered one today for delivery on 1st March when it is officially released which will take me to -1 for the year.

I'm doing well

Master
    Started 2021 with two watches. Despite the comings and goings I currently have no watches (therefore -2 below par). I have ordered one today for delivery on 1st March when it is officially released which will take me to -1 for the year.

I'm doing well
    Good going indeed :-)

I’m about to double bogey

Good going indeed :-)

I’m about to double bogey
    Sounds good, knowing your luck it's probably a PP dealership who contacted you to say they had found a spare Nautilus and Aquanaut in the back of the safe and if you want them at list price, just pop in

Well I have completely failed in my abstinence. Just ordered the new Oris Whale Shark LE.
    Insert Picard gif here.

Master
    Sounds good, knowing your luck it's probably a PP dealership who contacted you to say they had found a spare Nautilus and Aquanaut in the back of the safe and if you want them at list price, just pop in
    Ha ha I wish. It’s the new white gold sub with blue
    Bezel. Don’t think I’ve seen any on here since they came out.

Ha ha I wish. It’s the new white gold sub with blue
    Bezel. Don’t think I’ve seen any on here since they came out.
    Wow, looking forward to seeing your new gold fix when it hits your wrist.

Master
    I’ve been on a no buy approach for months. I’m not one for selling though so that’s not a bad place to be or it would just get silly.

Master
    Wow, looking forward to seeing your new gold fix when it hits your wrist.
    I’m more curious about having a white gold watch for the first time. Next is to decide what to sell - I’ll soon have more watches than I’ll wear.

I’m more curious about having a white gold watch for the first time. Next is to decide what to sell - I’ll soon have more watches than I’ll wear.
    I've always like the WG Sub, Smurf isn't it?

Any of your watches would be an easy sell, but almost impossible to replace unless you are willing to pay crazy premiums, so you will need to think long and hard. Even if you don't wear them all they are better than money in the bank, so keep everything if you can afford to is my advice

Edit: just realised that sounds like a quote from the gospel according to Mick P

I am down to four watches and with the exception of two extremely unlikely wants I think I can happily stay at four more or less indefinitely.

If either of those two came up however ... 😉

Master
    I've always like the WG Sub, Smurf isn't it?

Any of your watches would be an easy sell, but almost impossible to replace unless you are willing to pay crazy premiums, so you will need to think long and hard. Even if you don't wear them all they are better than money in the bank, so keep everything if you can afford to is my advice

Edit: just realised that sounds like a quote from the gospel according to Mick P
    Yes it’s the new version of the smurf at 41m. No idea what’s it’s nickname is as I don’t think I’ve seen any on here and only two or three on the Rolex forum.

https://www.rolex.com/watches/submar...19lb-0003.html

There’s only a couple of my watches that I’d consider selling anyway, so it narrows down my options, but something will probably go to balance the books so to speak. Also about wear as well as I don’t like owning something that will just sit in a safe.

Yes it’s the new version of the smurf at 41m. No idea what’s it’s nickname is as I don’t think I’ve seen any on here and only two or three on the Rolex forum.

https://www.rolex.com/watches/submar...19lb-0003.html

There’s only a couple of my watches that I’d consider selling anyway, so it narrows down my options, but something will probably go to balance the books so to speak. Also about wear as well as I don’t like owning something that will just sit in a safe.
    Sorry, I was thinking of the old model with the Blue dial. The new version looks a stunner and looks far better with a Black dial.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures when you get it.

Two months in and I'm still abstinent (just).
    I do have an incoming tomorrow but I'm justifying that to myself. Nearly 3 years ago I had a Sinn 556i that I bought and sold on here at a bargain price. I've wanted another one almost from the moment I posted it but could never bring myself to pay what were, I'm sure, fair prices for the ones that came up. This weekend one popped up for close to what I sold my last one for (when I factor in that this one is on a bracelet which I would have bought separately) so I had to have it. I was always going to buy another one regardless of my year of abstinence so this one doesn't count, does it?

I'm currently at:
    • 2 out
    • 0 in
    • 1 incoming

and I will not buy another watch this year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I do have an incoming tomorrow but I'm justifying that to myself. Nearly 3 years ago I had a Sinn 556i that I bought and sold on here at a bargain price. I've wanted another one almost from the moment I posted it but could never bring myself to pay what were, I'm sure, fair prices for the ones that came up. This weekend one popped up for close to what I sold my last one for (when I factor in that this one is on a bracelet which I would have bought separately) so I had to have it. I was always going to buy another one regardless of my year of abstinence so this one doesn't count, does it?

I'm currently at:
    • 2 out
    • 0 in
    • 1 incoming

The way I see it was that you were -1 after you sold the original so you are only bringing yourself up to 0 with that purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post

I'm currently at:
    • 2 out
    • 0 in
    • 1 incoming

That’s my old Sinn556i that I’d literally just sold to Gav. It’s a good one with fantastic timekeeping, enjoy!

(Although to answer your question - yes, it counts!).

Master
    I failed spectacularly but I’m not remotely guilty about it.

Turns out life isn’t as fun if you’re not buying and selling watches! Get back in the game folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    ...life isn’t as fun if you’re not buying and selling watches!
    I'm way too good at the first one, really, really poor at the second one...

Craftsman
    Still in

But if I'd seen that 556i first I might have folded.

On the flip side im doing one in 2 out at the moment so net loss if I buy something.

I've narrowly avoided two purchases so far. I appear to have become addicted to Barton Elite straps. Got my third coming tomorrow. They don't count though, right?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I've narrowly avoided two purchases so far. I appear to have become addicted to Barton Elite straps. Got my third coming tomorrow. They don't count though, right?
    It doesn't say strap abstinence

I’ve just broken. I made the mistake of selling some. The watch box started to look a bit empty...

...then the sale money started to burn a hole in my pocket.
    ...then I said: only if something I like comes up at a good price
    ....then I found something I like but it was an LE and not widely available
    ....then I bought it despite not getting a good price

Still, it cost less than usual and I cleared space for it, so not a disastrous loss.

Better luck next year!

So..... we need to talk.

At 6pm last night I broke our agreement....

I've let you down and I've let myself down ....

But I'm still on track to pay the mortgage off and you only live once and all that...

So..... we need to talk.

At 6pm last night I broke our agreement....

I've let you down and I've let myself down ....

But I'm still on track to pay the mortgage off and you only live once and all that...
    Ye - about that. I reckon I’m guilty by association for enabling

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Ye - about that. I reckon I’m guilty by association for enabling
    You were/are a blatant enabler and I'm very grateful for it! 🤣

You were/are a blatant enabler and I'm very grateful for it! 🤣
    You won’t be saying that when you buy another 5 and still haven’t repaid the mortgage

State of Play so far in 2021:

Watches sold: 0
    Watches bought: +2
    Money: -£1050

Well this is going well...

Master
    This must be the most pointless thread ever. How many of you have the ability to remain resolute.

I’m late to the party but have t bought any watches this year either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk