closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2021.

Craftsman
    I bought a Zenith Defy during the 1st lockdown despite not planning to buy in 2020. I haven't had much work due to COVID so I doubt I will have the funds anyway to make a purchase in 2021. I will probably get some new straps if I get a bit bored.

Never made a new years resolution in my life and never will.

As every year, I won't go out actively seeking watches - I'll wait until they come to me.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    ...can I be the basher here as well?
    I don’t think they could handle that tbh

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I don’t think they could handle that tbh
    Well... Ok then

Lots of good responses (the harsher the better!), but this might just be the best -

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    I’m pretty sure the best way to do this would be to leave all watch forums and not return.
    I'm expecting a no-deal Brexit to make buying outside of the UK more expensive, and more hassle, which will be a useful disincentive.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Lots of good responses (the harsher the better!), but this might just be the best -

I'm expecting a no-deal Brexit to make buying outside of the UK more expensive, and more hassle, which will be a useful disincentive.
    Which also makes the "purchase by 22/12 for delivery before Christmas" ad from Germany dealers (on Chrono24) seems very attractive... must control myself

The only watch that will open my wallet in 2021 is the inevitable BB58 GMT.

One zelos and one seiko 5 orange in the last month... i think i will do the same for 2021... no watches

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm signing up to this before the clock strikes midnight. My addiction isn't as costly as some, my watch fix usually comes in the form of G Shocks but I've sold them all now, first time since 2003 that I don't own a GShock. I must have bought and flipped over a hundred of them over the years, sometimes the same model several times too, completely nuts.

I currently have an electric blue SMP that was a wedding gift from the Mrs in 2006 that I'm enjoying wearing a lot at the moment. Also a Citizen ecodrive chronograph that she surprised me with for our 10th anniversary (budget decreased, thanks kids!) Obviously will keep both forever. Casio F-91 now fulfils beater duty and is perfectly adequate for the job.

But as they say with all addictions, take one day at a time!

Craftsman
    OP, I'm with you 100%
    I pledge to not purchase a watch on January 1st 2021
    After nearly two decades of forgoing watch purchases, I'm finally mortgage free. Got some catching up to do
    Last edited by Mysqueek; 31st December 2020 at 22:30.

I thought I might thin the box(es) out a bit this year and a few went, but a few arrived , so, still around the 40 mark. I suppose I am not really committed to the process....

Clearly I need some support. I had 13 watches on January 2019, have now 57. Do not think I need more .

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carteianus View Post
    Clearly I need some support. I had 13 watches on January 2019, have now 57. Do not think I need more .

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
    Do post a 'group pic' if you can. 57 varieties (isn't that Heinz?) would be impressive.

The TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2021.

I think anyone on a Rolex Steel Sports waiting list should be an honorary member of the club!
    Last edited by paw3001; 2nd January 2021 at 20:30.

It's not started easy, quite a few nice watches listed on SC over the past two days - must resist, must resist

Master
    I didn't even last 2 days, needed a G-Shock. Just one last hit!

I'm in.

It's my 50th in March and I've a lovely Aqua Terra tucked away for it. I'm getting rid of 2 or 3 watches this month and after that... I just want a decent rubber strap for my SMP and a leather strap for the AT.... and I'm done.*

* probably

I'm not addicted. I could stop anytime I want. I'm just not ready.
    (I've got three in transit and two away for servicing. But I can handle it)

SydR
    I’m out already. Bought an Omega Speedmaster Sporting today. Hoping for delivery Tuesday.

Two days in, and sodding Dekla have just released a slew of coloured and gradient dial versions of the Turbulenz I originally had my eye on.

Saved the day by convincing myself that I am buying no-more no-date watches...

For now.

GAH!

Apprentice
    I stumbled upon this forum in 2019 (been a lurker mostly) and now I really want a way out. Where do I sign?

Quote Originally Posted by templebar View Post
    I stumbled upon this forum in 2019 (been a lurker mostly) and now I really want a way out. Where do I sign?
    You've already done it. Well done, you've taken the first step to curing yourself of this ridiculous affliction.

To the rest of you: stay strong. And if you haven't stayed strong over the whole TWO DAYS of this year: you're weak... but we knew this would happen.

Master
    Thing is, there’s peace of mind in getting off the treadmill. It’s so relaxing.

Maybe a whole year is over ambitious, perhaps a week would be a more sensible target.

Little steps

The one I’ve got in transit doesn’t count right? It’ll arrive in 2021 but I was very careful to ensure it was bought in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Maybe a whole year is over ambitious, perhaps a week would be a more sensible target.

Little steps
    2022, two weeks. 2023, three weeks. 2024, four weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    The one I’ve got in transit doesn’t count right? It’ll arrive in 2021 but I was very careful to ensure it was bought in 2020.
    Doesn't count. Even if this group fails and we all buy watches, we should at least use it to identify loopholes. Every cloud.

I was thinking seeing my collection that i bought 4 just in the last month... then i want to sign... but i saw one nice seiko diver... then, moral, is like my promises to reduce the weight at the end of the year. Nothing!
    Enjoy the life, wear the watches!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    There’s some lovely watches on SC last couple of days!

I can resist everything except temptation

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    There’s some lovely watches on SC last couple of days!

I can resist everything except temptation
    I bet that GS from Kash had a few considering breaking their New Year resolution. Some nice watches at the lower end as well.

Craftsman
    Forgive me, I have sinned.

At 14 hrs into the new year I ordered a watch, but it is quartz and cheap so it doesn’t really count does it...

Master
    I bet that GS from Kash had a few considering breaking their New Year resolution. Some nice watches at the lower end as well.
    That was one of the ones :-)

In fact everyone Kash posts something I’m having to refrain myself! That Moser especially.

Was chatting with martynw about his 16570 after he kindly responded to my WTB - ended up buying a 1016 from him as well.... I'm officially signing up for the club! (only 3 days in I'm sure it counts)

Master
    FWIW I made it through 2020 without a watch purchase, it was a year for servicing. Christmas was without doubt the hardest part. Do I get a prize?

My problem is that I start saving for a particular watch but am distracted by cheaper ones along the way. I blame the forum. :) Must try and refrain my urges in future. For example, I'm saving up for another Sinn at the moment but those Steeldive's are appealing. ARGH!

I'm definitely in.

So glad it's called watch PURCHASE abstinence club as I purchased a (Kickstarter) last year which will now not arrive until April 2021 (it would have been far earlier had the pandemic not hit) so I promise not to purchase another in 2021. Arrivals are fine if you paid last year.

I'm actually also in the 2022 version of this club too.

Promised the missus no more for two years as the first kid is on the way next month...how on earth will I manage this?

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    I'm definitely in.

So glad it's called watch PURCHASE abstinence club as I purchased a (Kickstarter) last year which will now not arrive until April 2021 (it would have been far earlier had the pandemic not hit) so I promise not to purchase another in 2021. Arrivals are fine if you paid last year.

I'm actually also in the 2022 version of this club too.

Promised the missus no more for two years as the first kid is on the way next month...how on earth will I manage this?
    Congratulations! I’m in a similar position: first one in April.

I’m not sure I can successfully commit to an absolute halt for 12 months but I can probably say no money into the watch account (i.e. all arrivals have to be funded by the sale of what I already have).

Straps, parts and servicing don’t count...

Blog Entries
    I'm definitely in....Promised the missus no more for two years as the first kid is on the way next month...how on earth will I manage this?
    Simple - delete your TZ account and all other watch forums / insta / YouTube / Snapchat whatever. Cold turkey is the only way.

Congratulations on the new family and for any more you may be having.

Craftsman
    I'm definitely in.

Pop into a few AD’s and say you have an event you wish to mark in two years time😀

I was planning on joining this, my only real 2021 goal was to stop buying watches and save for a Grand Seiko. But after spotting a cheap G Shock i've been trying to get hold of i've caved in...

Quote Originally Posted by templebar View Post
    You might want to listen to Hotel California

Master
    Yep. I meant to sign the pledge here as I really do need to cut down but just couldn't resist that beauty!

Having done AA in the past and kept sober, I'm wondering if there's a WA?...

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    Was chatting with martynw about his 16570 after he kindly responded to my WTB - ended up buying a 1016 from him as well.... I'm officially signing up for the club! (only 3 days in I'm sure it counts)
    You did better than me. I had an exchange with him over the weekend about a tritium SD, but after asking twice for lume shots and getting nothing I gave up.

Forgive me Paul, for I have sinned.

After dipping out on the SD at the weekend I was watching that Orange Orient Mako on SC, waiting for it to be reduced, but that hasn't happened yet then those nice people at Undone sent me an e-mail announcing a new limited edition for the Chinese New Year and celebrating the year of The Ox.

Well being from the Wirral, never having been to China, but liking Beef and Green Peppers with Black Bean sauce I took an interest in the watch. Also, John Entwistle of The Who was also known as The Ox, so my ducks or planets were starting to align. It is also a limited edition which as we know puts us into panic mode because we must order one before they sell out.

Anyway up, I've ordered one and therefore have let the collective membership of this thread down for which I must humbly apologise.

Quite why I want a Chinese watch I have absolutely no idea, but it is a little different and appeals. I'm sure as a fellow collector with let's say 'different' tastes to the norm you will hopefully understand.

I did go 5 full days without buying anything

Forgive me Paul, for I have sinned.

After dipping out on the SD at the weekend I was watching that Orange Orient Mako on SC, waiting for it to be reduced, but that hasn't happened yet then those nice people at Undone sent me an e-mail announcing a new limited edition for the Chinese New Year and celebrating the year of The Ox.

Well being from the Wirral, never having been to China, but liking Beef and Green Peppers with Black Bean sauce I took an interest in the watch. Also, John Entwistle of The Who was also known as The Ox, so my ducks or planets were starting to align. It is also a limited edition which as we know puts us into panic mode because we must order one before they sell out.

Anyway up, I've ordered one and therefore have let the collective membership of this thread down for which I must humbly apologise.

Quite why I want a Chinese watch I have absolutely no idea, but it is a little different and appeals. I'm sure as a fellow collector with let's say 'different' tastes to the norm you will hopefully understand.

I did go 5 full days without buying anything
    Have a pair of Chinese bone script dial UG for myself and my other half... love them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I aim to get around to selling a few and not buying any to replace those sold.

A positive start to the year so far - numerous “bargain” sale watches contemplated, added to basket, before coming to my senses and changing my mind at checkout.

Master
    Hello,my name is Wimm and I am a WIS.

I haven't bought a watch in six weeks.

But only because I was out-bid.

But I didn't put in a follow up bid which is good isn't it?

PS does buying one for spare parts count? Asking for a friend.......

I have not bought a watch in 2021.
    I have bought a strap.

My name is Sinnlover and I am a watch-aholic
    I fell off the wagon today and I am disappointed in myself.
    I must try harder over the next 11 months...
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 23rd January 2021 at 18:31.

Master
    If you’ve sold a watch does that mean you are currently at -1 so if you buy one you haven’t really bought one because you’re now at 0?

Asking for a friend obviously