closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2021.

Hybrid View

The TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2021.

Fuelled by boredom with the tedium of 2020, I have gone a bit silly with purchases this year. It started with good intent, I was on a mission to reduce to ten watches, but as I type this, I have 23 with another one to pick up tomorrow. Ridiculous.

As a result of the ridiculousness, I've decided to have a clean 2021. Will I sell some? Yes. Will I buy straps? Maybe.
    Will I buy watches? I'm going to try not to.

Who is with me?

Where do I sign?
    Two years ago I got down to six watches with the aim of getting to four, I'm currently at eleven - best laid plans eh.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I have my eye on one watch that may/may not be possible for me to pick up in 2021 but I am definitely in to have less watches by the end of the year than the start. Its a big purchase (VC Overseas 4500), so I would love to sell several to finance the VC.

I am definitely going to sell a load; with regard to buying others, I will try to consolidate but only plan to buy if one on small list of must haves turn up.
    I won't be repeating the 'bored' watch purchases of this year.

I've found making plans pretty futile.

I didn't plan to buy or sell any watches this year, but I did. Overall number slightly down, but money tied up increased.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Mmm - Tempted, but as I've already signed up for two Kickstarters with delivery in May/June 2021, I feel I've lost already!

I will try, though, to keep it at that and reduce my total collection.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    This confirms this thread:
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...times-of-Covid

Which leaves me to hope that come 2021/2022 there are going to be a raft of sales of some very nice watches at discounted prices... So I'm definitely going to abstain from abstaining.

I'm with you OP and I publicly sign up to the PAC21. I have set up some ambitious overpayments to clear my mortgage in 2 years so I'll be taking the time to enjoy my little 5 watch collection during this period. I do, however, have a caveat if that's permissible? I'm on the list for a Pepsi so if that comes through I'll be forced to buy it. I'm a nobody so the chances are slim to none but it would the closest thing to a solid and prudent financial investment at RRP.

The TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2021.

I’ve been on the Wus equivalent thread for couple of years. I was buying maybe 12 watches a year maybe more but lucky if I buy two now.

I also had 40+ now down to 21

I am not going to buy any watches in 2021.

Craftsman
    OP, I'm with you 100%
    I pledge to not purchase a watch on January 1st 2021
    After nearly two decades of forgoing watch purchases, I'm finally mortgage free. Got some catching up to do
    Last edited by Mysqueek; 31st December 2020 at 22:30.

I thought I might thin the box(es) out a bit this year and a few went, but a few arrived , so, still around the 40 mark. I suppose I am not really committed to the process....

I lasted three weeks
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I’ve been on the Wus equivalent thread for couple of years. I was buying maybe 12 watches a year maybe more but lucky if I buy two now.

I also had 40+ now down to 21
    ...can I be the basher here as well?

Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    ...can I be the basher here as well?
    I don’t think they could handle that tbh

Master
    I don’t think they could handle that tbh
    Well... Ok then

I am signing sish101 up to this in whatever form it takes.

Yours.

Mrs Sish101

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

This subject comes up every year and despite best laid plans and good intentions another year of unnecessary buying and selling seems to have occurred, almost by accident.

I have consolidated and got my one decent watch, so happy on that front. Currently down to three watches and have observed a strict 'one in, one out' rule for the past few months, so will continue on those lines.

I have put a deposit down on a watch, but might call it quits on that one and get my money back. It was supposed to be a 60th birthday present to myself for 2021, but in all honesty that is just stupid - it's just another watch purchase and would carry no sentimentle value and would no doubt be flipped in time.

What I will commit to is a promise to stop titting about with watches that I have had many times before. Oh, I think I need yet another G-Shock full metal etc. That nonsense absolutely ends here.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 17th December 2020 at 18:09.

I don't think I can do it … not without drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Source some really mellow weed and join us!!! :-)

I’ll sign up - for a month or two.

It's not started easy, quite a few nice watches listed on SC over the past two days - must resist, must resist

Master
    I didn't even last 2 days, needed a G-Shock. Just one last hit!

I'm in.

It's my 50th in March and I've a lovely Aqua Terra tucked away for it. I'm getting rid of 2 or 3 watches this month and after that... I just want a decent rubber strap for my SMP and a leather strap for the AT.... and I'm done.*

* probably

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Move to the Marshall Islands https://apple.news/Abx8UlbScQhCby_ulMOldqA

Move to the Marshall Islands https://apple.news/Abx8UlbScQhCby_ulMOldqA
    Love the guy burning it without a mask. I wonder how his day went

Master
    Having an aim to get to 3 earlier this year and getting close to my target by going down to 4, I’m currently languishing on 7! So I’ll sign up.

I’m extremely disciplined and can resist most temptation as long as I don’t get any calls saying ‘hello Devonian we’ve just had a BLANK (fill in the blank it could be any one of half a dozen, okay a dozen watches) come in, pop the money over and it’s yours. Obviously if that happens I’ll deny all knowledge of this thread.

My actually goal for next year is to get my first gold watch and I’ve narrowed it down to a few. I’m not spending any more on watches so at least 2 will have to go, more likely 3. That bit I’m sure of.

Master
    This is one of my many annual resolutions that l annually never manage to stick to, and, like many of us l've been on a lockdown boredom buying spree but hoping to sell a few and get down to 6 by New year or thereabouts, then go cold turkey and break the addiction!

Have been enjoying watches for 4 years now but I reckon 2021 could be the first year I abstain. I’ve been making way to many unnecessary watch purchases lately too. Hoping to catch a special one next week that should A) get me to where I wanted to be collection wise, B) lead me into a phase of selling rather than buying and C) clean me out! So I’m in for this👍

I am tempted to sign up, 2020 has really made me stop and think about what matters, what I spend my money on, and what I really enjoy about watches (and endless buying and selling is not what I enjoy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried this in 2020. Lasted about 2 weeks! Good luck!

Maybe a whole year is over ambitious, perhaps a week would be a more sensible target.

Little steps

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Maybe a whole year is over ambitious, perhaps a week would be a more sensible target.

Little steps
    2022, two weeks. 2023, three weeks. 2024, four weeks...

Master
    Breath in, relax. Breath in, relax. Breath in, relax. Breath in, relax. Breath in, rel..............

Does this help?

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I effectively stopped about a year ago and now have one mechanical watch. I find it pleasantly relaxing. There must be plenty of others who do the same.
    So, do you have a hobby, or does the hobby have you......

You are in a forum with watch addicts. Just saying..

I tried it in 2020, and after all good intentions faded dismally, I picked up some nice additions to the collection (a couple of repurchases after prior sell offs)

I'm happy now, so no new watches are in '21.....

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Master
    This is also my intention. I’ve had at least twenty incomings through my hands so far this year. Right now I’m down to four, one of which is a Garmin Instinct. Two Hanhart chronos, one automatic and the new 417 ES manual winder. Last week I bought another manual wind chrono, a Tutima flieger. Much too much churning has taken place. Lockdown boredom has definitely contributed to this self indulgent nonsense. Can I remain part of this community but without the need to buy and sell that has characterised this year?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    ........... Can I remain part of this community but without the need to buy and sell that has characterised this year?
    Good question. You’re going to find out....there’s plenty of things to interest and engage you without having to keep buying. To put it another way, you can be engaged with watches without having to own them. But first, you have to be honest with yourself, do you really want to change . Because if you’re not sure, probably best just to happily carry on.....

Was chatting with martynw about his 16570 after he kindly responded to my WTB - ended up buying a 1016 from him as well.... I'm officially signing up for the club! (only 3 days in I'm sure it counts)

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    Was chatting with martynw about his 16570 after he kindly responded to my WTB - ended up buying a 1016 from him as well.... I'm officially signing up for the club! (only 3 days in I'm sure it counts)
    You did better than me. I had an exchange with him over the weekend about a tritium SD, but after asking twice for lume shots and getting nothing I gave up.

Guys, think twice before signing any abstinence pledges. Don’t you want to be ready to buy when the bubble bursts?:-)

Master
    2020 was 2 in and maybe 1 out back at the start of the year and I’m thinking 2021 will be equally as quiet. On the ‘waiting list’ for one but if that comes through I’ll bare my arse in Fenwicks window as they say.

I think it's good idea, and a nice aim!

I've spent a lot of 2020 buying with no ability to sell, stuck as I am here in Qatar. Back to the UK next summer, and I have a few to offload.

I'm going to say, "In! (Unless a JLC MasterCompressor Geographic comes up at a cheap price.)"

I’m on the list for a couple of Rolexes so it’s safe to say I won’t be buying any watches next year!

Master
    FWIW I made it through 2020 without a watch purchase, it was a year for servicing. Christmas was without doubt the hardest part. Do I get a prize?

My problem is that I start saving for a particular watch but am distracted by cheaper ones along the way. I blame the forum. :) Must try and refrain my urges in future. For example, I'm saving up for another Sinn at the moment but those Steeldive's are appealing. ARGH!

I'm definitely in.

So glad it's called watch PURCHASE abstinence club as I purchased a (Kickstarter) last year which will now not arrive until April 2021 (it would have been far earlier had the pandemic not hit) so I promise not to purchase another in 2021. Arrivals are fine if you paid last year.

I'm actually also in the 2022 version of this club too.

Promised the missus no more for two years as the first kid is on the way next month...how on earth will I manage this?

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    I'm definitely in.

So glad it's called watch PURCHASE abstinence club as I purchased a (Kickstarter) last year which will now not arrive until April 2021 (it would have been far earlier had the pandemic not hit) so I promise not to purchase another in 2021. Arrivals are fine if you paid last year.

I'm actually also in the 2022 version of this club too.

Promised the missus no more for two years as the first kid is on the way next month...how on earth will I manage this?
    Congratulations! I’m in a similar position: first one in April.

I’m not sure I can successfully commit to an absolute halt for 12 months but I can probably say no money into the watch account (i.e. all arrivals have to be funded by the sale of what I already have).

Straps, parts and servicing don’t count...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    I'm definitely in....Promised the missus no more for two years as the first kid is on the way next month...how on earth will I manage this?
    Simple - delete your TZ account and all other watch forums / insta / YouTube / Snapchat whatever. Cold turkey is the only way.

Congratulations on the new family and for any more you may be having.