closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2021.

The TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2021.

Fuelled by boredom with the tedium of 2020, I have gone a bit silly with purchases this year. It started with good intent, I was on a mission to reduce to ten watches, but as I type this, I have 23 with another one to pick up tomorrow. Ridiculous.

As a result of the ridiculousness, I've decided to have a clean 2021. Will I sell some? Yes. Will I buy straps? Maybe.
    Will I buy watches? I'm going to try not to.

Who is with me?

Where do I sign?
    Two years ago I got down to six watches with the aim of getting to four, I'm currently at eleven - best laid plans eh.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I am definitely going to sell a load; with regard to buying others, I will try to consolidate but only plan to buy if one on small list of must haves turn up.
    I won't be repeating the 'bored' watch purchases of this year.

I have my eye on one watch that may/may not be possible for me to pick up in 2021 but I am definitely in to have less watches by the end of the year than the start. Its a big purchase (VC Overseas 4500), so I would love to sell several to finance the VC.

Mmm - Tempted, but as I've already signed up for two Kickstarters with delivery in May/June 2021, I feel I've lost already!

I will try, though, to keep it at that and reduce my total collection.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I've found making plans pretty futile.

I didn't plan to buy or sell any watches this year, but I did. Overall number slightly down, but money tied up increased.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    This confirms this thread:
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...times-of-Covid

Which leaves me to hope that come 2021/2022 there are going to be a raft of sales of some very nice watches at discounted prices... So I'm definitely going to abstain from abstaining.

I'm with you OP and I publicly sign up to the PAC21. I have set up some ambitious overpayments to clear my mortgage in 2 years so I'll be taking the time to enjoy my little 5 watch collection during this period. I do, however, have a caveat if that's permissible? I'm on the list for a Pepsi so if that comes through I'll be forced to buy it. I'm a nobody so the chances are slim to none but it would the closest thing to a solid and prudent financial investment at RRP.

The TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2021.

I’ve been on the Wus equivalent thread for couple of years. I was buying maybe 12 watches a year maybe more but lucky if I buy two now.

I also had 40+ now down to 21

I am not going to buy any watches in 2021.

I am signing sish101 up to this in whatever form it takes.

Yours.

Mrs Sish101

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

This subject comes up every year and despite best laid plans and good intentions another year of unnecessary buying and selling seems to have occurred, almost by accident.

I have consolidated and got my one decent watch, so happy on that front. Currently down to three watches and have observed a strict 'one in, one out' rule for the past few months, so will continue on those lines.

I have put a deposit down on a watch, but might call it quits on that one and get my money back. It was supposed to be a 60th birthday present to myself for 2021, but in all honesty that is just stupid - it's just another watch purchase and would carry no sentimentle value and would no doubt be flipped in time.

What I will commit to is a promise to stop titting about with watches that I have had many times before. Oh, I think I need yet another G-Shock full metal etc. That nonsense absolutely ends here.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 17th December 2020 at 18:09.

I don't think I can do it … not without drugs.

Master
    This is one of my many annual resolutions that l annually never manage to stick to, and, like many of us l've been on a lockdown boredom buying spree but hoping to sell a few and get down to 6 by New year or thereabouts, then go cold turkey and break the addiction!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Source some really mellow weed and join us!!! :-)

I’ll sign up - for a month or two.

Have been enjoying watches for 4 years now but I reckon 2021 could be the first year I abstain. I’ve been making way to many unnecessary watch purchases lately too. Hoping to catch a special one next week that should A) get me to where I wanted to be collection wise, B) lead me into a phase of selling rather than buying and C) clean me out! So I’m in for this👍

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Move to the Marshall Islands https://apple.news/Abx8UlbScQhCby_ulMOldqA

I am tempted to sign up, 2020 has really made me stop and think about what matters, what I spend my money on, and what I really enjoy about watches (and endless buying and selling is not what I enjoy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Move to the Marshall Islands https://apple.news/Abx8UlbScQhCby_ulMOldqA
    Love the guy burning it without a mask. I wonder how his day went

Master
    Having an aim to get to 3 earlier this year and getting close to my target by going down to 4, I’m currently languishing on 7! So I’ll sign up.

I’m extremely disciplined and can resist most temptation as long as I don’t get any calls saying ‘hello Devonian we’ve just had a BLANK (fill in the blank it could be any one of half a dozen, okay a dozen watches) come in, pop the money over and it’s yours. Obviously if that happens I’ll deny all knowledge of this thread.

My actually goal for next year is to get my first gold watch and I’ve narrowed it down to a few. I’m not spending any more on watches so at least 2 will have to go, more likely 3. That bit I’m sure of.

Master
    I can’t do it as I already have the first few months of 2021 mapped out watch purchase wise. If anything I am buying more PM watches and living up to nostalgic memory’s of old watches. Getting back what I sold when I was younger and stupider.

Craftsman
    I sort of had that intention at the start of this year... and I've bought four. Ah.

It's funny - I declared that to the Mrs at the start of the year, and she rolled her eyes and gave me the 'yeah, OK' sort of reaction. When I owned up that I bought one (in fairness the first one wasn't until after the summer) she had a laugh but didn't give me a hard time like I might have expected, which did take me by surprise just a little. 'You really enjoy them so I don't mind' she said. Probably helped there were no budget busters.

You lot go on ahead.. I don't think I'm going to make it.

Tried this in 2020. Lasted about 2 weeks! Good luck!

In the last two years something like 60 watches have crossed my threshold.
    Perhaps a dozen have since found new homes.
    A pile of full watch boxes sits in my bedroom, also needing new homes.
    And yet another is on its way from Germany as I type...

This is absolutely effing ludicrous. Literally insane.

I've spent a great deal less than many of you spend on just one watch.
    But for a host of reasons my income is in steep decline, and I MUST stop.

Perhaps 15, at most, get fairly regular wear, the rest - months go by...

So any tips for snapping-out of this orgy of wanton consumerism?

Master
    Breath in, relax. Breath in, relax. Breath in, relax. Breath in, relax. Breath in, rel..............

Does this help?

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I effectively stopped about a year ago and now have one mechanical watch. I find it pleasantly relaxing. There must be plenty of others who do the same.
    So, do you have a hobby, or does the hobby have you......

You are in a forum with watch addicts. Just saying..

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

To be fair, I think acknowledgement is the first step with all kinds of addictions.

Next comes the realisation that you don't need to do it if you don't want to.

Hopefully...

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

The most simple tip is firm resolution. Making a resolution not to buy another watch is dead easy and sticking to it is also easy. You are talking about a watch not heroine. If you cannot do something so easy as not buying another watch then you are unfit to walk the streets. There are people in this country having to go to food banks in order not to starve and you sit there and say that not buying a little gizmo is difficult to do. Buy your wife some decent jewellery seeing as you have wasted a pile of cash on 60 watches and probably lost money when you flipped, hardly a role model for your kids.

You can do it with bugger all will power so JFDI.

PS I am saying this purely in a spirit of help and counsel and wish you well in your pursuit.

Master
    I’m pretty sure the best way to do this would be to leave all watch forums and not return.

I tried it in 2020, and after all good intentions faded dismally, I picked up some nice additions to the collection (a couple of repurchases after prior sell offs)

I'm happy now, so no new watches are in '21.....

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Master
    This is also my intention. I’ve had at least twenty incomings through my hands so far this year. Right now I’m down to four, one of which is a Garmin Instinct. Two Hanhart chronos, one automatic and the new 417 ES manual winder. Last week I bought another manual wind chrono, a Tutima flieger. Much too much churning has taken place. Lockdown boredom has definitely contributed to this self indulgent nonsense. Can I remain part of this community but without the need to buy and sell that has characterised this year?

Guys, think twice before signing any abstinence pledges. Don’t you want to be ready to buy when the bubble bursts?:-)

Master
    2020 was 2 in and maybe 1 out back at the start of the year and I’m thinking 2021 will be equally as quiet. On the ‘waiting list’ for one but if that comes through I’ll bare my arse in Fenwicks window as they say.

I think it's good idea, and a nice aim!

I've spent a lot of 2020 buying with no ability to sell, stuck as I am here in Qatar. Back to the UK next summer, and I have a few to offload.

I'm going to say, "In! (Unless a JLC MasterCompressor Geographic comes up at a cheap price.)"

I’m on the list for a couple of Rolexes so it’s safe to say I won’t be buying any watches next year!

Three in, zero out - all unplanned purchases. All new watches as well funnily. I tend to veer second hand, but nothing has caught my fancy.

The two watches I had on my radar did not materialise, and remain targets. However I am out of play money now, so unless I hit it rich I’m looking forward to a period of contentment...

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I’m looking forward to a period of contentment...
    Now that is something worth more than any watch, but as they say, you have to dream big

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Now that is something worth more than any watch, but as they say, you have to dream big
    Dammit, didn’t take long for someone to inject some reality

Master
    With less than two weeks left i haven't bought a watch in 2020 although i do tend to treat myself at Christmas due to another hard year at work.

I have got down to three which i never thought i would.

As for 2021 i am down for a Snoopy 50th so if i get the call i will probably buy just the one...fingers crossed.

Blog Entries
    2021 may be a further consolidation year for me - so won’t be signing up. I may fire up a “2021 wish list” thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    ........... Can I remain part of this community but without the need to buy and sell that has characterised this year?
    Good question. You’re going to find out....there’s plenty of things to interest and engage you without having to keep buying. To put it another way, you can be engaged with watches without having to own them. But first, you have to be honest with yourself, do you really want to change . Because if you’re not sure, probably best just to happily carry on.....

Grand Master
    A very low key year on the watch front for me, house move has taken priority and continues to do so. Enthusiasm has dropped markedly, I blame the virus situation plus advancing years. Activity on the repair front has been limited too and that won’t change for a while.

It’s been one in and one out, bought a 1962 18ct Omega Seamaster in early February (bought from SC whilst in a hospital bed awaiting knee surgery, a novel twist on retail therapy), sold a Rolex OP 116000 with blue Explorer dial later in the year. A watch I’d wanted for a couple of years but never really bonded with, bought in Nov ‘19, kept it less than a year, hardly wore it, sold back on the forum for what I paid.

2021 might see a paring down of the collection, I seem to wear the same 5 or 6 so I’m questioning the sense in owning 24. House extension and associated renovations will continue to soak up money, another incentive to move a few watches on, really don’t see myself buying any more unless they’re fixer uppers to restore and sell on.

I will sell 3 plus one needing work plus some bits and bobs.

None of my vintage pieces are going despite the fact I don't really wear them.

Current collection is at 16 and I plan to reduce this to 14 so there will be some purchasing as well but no more than 2.

I should just shut up

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I’ve been on the Wus equivalent thread for couple of years. I was buying maybe 12 watches a year maybe more but lucky if I buy two now.

I also had 40+ now down to 21
    ...can I be the basher here as well?

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    I should just shut up

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I hate humanity a little less every time you post bubi.

Craftsman
    A nice ambition to have. I say the same thing every year but never follow through with it

However, I am now very content with my collection and particularly its size so I don’t see any being replaced next year.

What I am considering is buying a kit from the DIY Watch Club and using that as a basis for building and subsequent further modding. This way I can just claim to have bough a few components rather than yet another watch

Master
    I have been contemplating selling a few for a while and finally got around to letting 3 go late this year. I think I'll probably sell a couple more next year but I rarely see anything nowadays that I really want compared to what I've got. I've a couple I'd like to try but my dedication to, and enjoyment of, the chase has definitely subsided, not sure why but I guess I'm always only one article/image/sales post away from that changing!