closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 116600 SD4K Ceramic opinions?

Master

116600 SD4K Ceramic opinions?

I have a hankering for one had my first when they first cane out and ex wife insisted on having it back as it was. birthday gift from her,. So that went I love the SD43 and deepsea blue, but still have a hankering for the watch again. Nostalgia is expensive and I am doing lot of it recently.
    Have we got many owners on the forum?

Master

Best of ceramic divers for me with the caveat of not having seen the new Sub(in the flesh)which looks good.

It wasn’t made for long. Took me a while to realise what it was then it was gone.

Maybe one of the most limited Rolex runs ever?

(Pure speculation as a layman).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s mine. I’ve got/had GMTc, Subs, GV etc and this one could be the best. Love that it was short run, no cyclops, glidelock ......

Prices keep creeping up so get another one quick.

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

Here’s mine. I’ve got/had GMTc, Subs, GV etc and this one could be the best. Love that it was short run, no cyclops, glidelock ......

Prices keep creeping up so get another one quick.

That is undeniably tasty.

Much less bloated than the SD43

Master
    I have a WTB for one !

I’m saying this in case any owners are selling ..

They have popped up on SC from time to time, usually around the £10k mark, but not difficult to find on dealers sites. WF had one a month or two back fresh from a Rolex service and still covered in the stickers and that was just under £12k. Most on here are probably approaching first service time, so factor another grand on top of any bargain price.

Master
    Thanks for the heads up wow a £1000 service, I will try and buy one thats come back from a recent service than.

Watch I most regret selling

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    Thanks for the heads up wow a £1000 service, I will try and buy one thats come back from a recent service than.
    I think a standard service is probably £600-£700 if you can get away with it, but by the time you add on a crystal, crown and anything else that Rolex insist on changing I think £1k is probably a more reasonable figure for planning purposes.

Master
    Ooh, I do love a 'dweller. 2 x 116600's in this pic. One beater, one stickered!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post

Not a bad place to be!

They only look slightly different in size but wear so differently. The SD43 feels very big.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    They have popped up on SC from time to time, usually around the £10k mark, but not difficult to find on dealers sites. WF had one a month or two back fresh from a Rolex service and still covered in the stickers and that was just under £12k. Most on here are probably approaching first service time, so factor another grand on top of any bargain price.
    There are several at the dealer in Milton Keynes ( eBay) but silly money.
    £10k for a full set, good condition and a service sounds good, above there I think I’d rather go for something else.

Master
    I have set a target for approx 11.5k with a service in that, that should get me a minty serviced example.

Master
    I have set a target for approx 11.5k with a service in that, that should get me a minty serviced example.
    Did you see the two on eBay

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    There are several at the dealer in Milton Keynes ( eBay) but silly money.
    £10k for a full set, good condition and a service sounds good, above there I think I’d rather go for something else.
    You won't get a SD4K for that now.
    3 months ago maybe but like all Rolex they have shifted northwards(for transparency I have one so have a vested interest) but if you spot anything with B&P under 11K I'd be surprised.
    I'm picking mine up after it's Rolex service tomorrow and it was £550.

Blog Entries
    Vested interest also but they seem good value (in Rolex terms ) compared to other ceramic sports models

They are around, keep looking at Facebook selling sites, picked up a unworn full UK set last week, for under 11k.

Vested interest as well for good reason..I think the tide will turn upwards in a big way at some point..very very short production run.

Blog Entries
    Had one. Didn't feel special to me - moved it on. Probably not the best move financially but there we go.

Master
    My favourite Rolex, the only one I need.

Master
    Never had one for a period of time, would like to try one..........

Craftsman
    I’ve posted on this absolutely superb watch before (link below). It’s my favourite modern Rolex.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...a-Dweller-4000

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    You won't get a SD4K for that now.
    3 months ago maybe but like all Rolex they have shifted northwards(for transparency I have one so have a vested interest) but if you spot anything with B&P under 11K I'd be surprised.
    I'm picking mine up after it's Rolex service tomorrow and it was £550.
    Hmm.. okay thanks.

Quite fancy a Breguet but there’’s a gap in my collection for a 116600. Maybe will just have to see what comes along first.

I think it’s down fall was being too similar to the outgoing SD at the time.

Master
    The bracelet end link fit was constantly talked about. Remember seeing one in a dealer cabinet and didn’t give it a second look. Didn’t even try it on as was too busy enquiring about a submariner! Now that it is non current it is really gaining appeal. I like the look of it but have never tried one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    I think it’s down fall was being too similar to the outgoing SD at the time.

Personally, I dont think it sold well when it was current as it was considerably more expensive than the Sub date yet very similar in a lot of peoples eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and just to add, probably the only watch you would ever need.

Master
    Thank you everyone for contributing; I really liked mine for the period I owned it. I removed the diver extension and it was one of the most comfortable watches I have owned along with the daytona and YM. I do remember it was about a significant more than the standard sub.

Wow very nice Sir I only have the 2 myself

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    Wow very nice Sir I only have the 2 myself

you Sir have a magnificent pair!!

Craftsman
    The SD4k is quite top-heavy, so needs the bracelet well sized.

I've heard the SD43 sits more comfortably on the wrist, but it is a bit too chunky for me. The SD4k is a perfect size and just feels like a more special watch.

Hope you find one!

Master
    Here’s mine with its elder sibling.

My only safe queen, still stickered and bracelet unsized. It was bought from a forum member with the intention of wearing, but just haven’t got around to getting the bracelet adjusted yet.

Master

I think I’ve worked out why I can’t find one!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Here’s mine with its elder sibling.

My only safe queen, still stickered and bracelet unsized. It was bought from a forum member with the intention of wearing, but just haven’t got around to getting the bracelet adjusted yet.

It really doesn’t suit you and you should sell it to a forum member

Master
    All these dwellers, especially that DRSD are giving me movements in my erogenous bits...

Master
    The latest Sub and Sub Dates are slimmed down, 41mm, and look drop dead gorgeous. I would rather buy one of them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    It really doesn’t suit you and you should sell it to a forum member
    I concur 😂

I had one of these for quite a while and now have 41mm ND Sub ... and I have to say that I do prefer the latter. The proportions are sublime.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Master
    Have we got many owners on the forum?

Bought mine new because I'm a (pre SD43) Sea-Dweller fan boy. Reaction was very negative - "overpriced Submariner" was the gibe.

Arguably still underappreciated. They ain't making any more of them so I'd get one with no hesitation.

Craftsman
    I have one which i am unlikely to sell, bought this a few years ago, well above retail. Shame, as i use to travel a lot and were regularly available at Heathrow!

I remember these not being sought after and being sold relatively cheaper.....and then they got pulled.
    I tried one at my AD who had one in the window and thought it was just ok

Master
    Well I managed to get one and love it again:) it’s lovely forgotten how much so. Its just come back from service and had a new bezal insert, crown and glass. Also almost a complete set only thing missing is the outer white box.

Congrats on getting one. I love mine and have worn it daily for 2.5 years since getting it...

I've got two

One is the fullest set you'll ever see. It has got the original coffin box with the serial on a sticker as it came from Rolex.

Copied this from a previous thread about the sd4k and was my opinion at the time..

When this watch first came out I really really liked it for the aesthetics alone. I resented paying the full RRP because as others have said, it was unloved and I remember thinking this would probably be the first watch that if I paid retail, it would no doubt lose a few quid if I had to resell. (I remember when this came out all the old ways of getting 10 per cent off from the AD etc were a distant memory and the watch was making a lot less than rrp on the pre owned market).
    Anyhow, I took the plunge and bought one new on interest free over two years. From memory it was around £7k.
    A little while after, the news came that it was being discontinued and I thought to myself, this is a watch that wasn’t popular when on sale, low sales numbers and only made for around 3 years. This has got to be a future classic. This is the last seadweller at 40mm, no cyclops and all the updates that the modern sports models have. (Ceramic bezel, wonderful bracelet etc).
    Anyhow, I remember a dealer friend telling me when I had one of my numerous 16610lvs over the years that the LV would never be a classic and expensive watch due to it being made in big numbers. Well he got that wrong. The LV has risen dramatically since I was buying “Y” serials at £4500 which are now £25k.
    I’m going to confidently predict that the sd4000 will become an über rare watch for the discerning collector in the future. How long this may take, I don’t know. What I do know, judging by history, is that all the rare watches that nobody wanted at the time of sale (early Daytona’s?) that Rolex couldn’t shift and stopped producing, have all become holy grails of some sort and values risen accordingly.
    What other watch in the last 10/15 years+ has Rolex made for such a short period of time, and even when it was on sale, didn’t sell well?
    I honestly think this watch is so cool compared to normal sub and that it was definitely worth the premium at the time. This watch has cool writing on the case back which other Rolex dont. It has a cool helium escape valve. Technically, it can go deeper than a sub. In general, it just has more going for it.
    Il also say, every Tom, dick, and Harry has a sub, when was the last time you saw one of these in the wild? I haven’t seen one apart from mine and online ever. And I always get asked, “what Rolex is that?”..in short, I’d advise anyone with an interest in modern Rolex to buy the best tool watch available in 40mm before they unfortunately become super expensive and unreasonable to wear as an every day watch...(like the £4500 lv which is now £25k and if I still had it wouldn’t wear it for fear of damaging the £5k bezel..) enjoy them while you can guys!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    I've got two

One is the fullest set you'll ever see. It has got the original coffin box with the serial on a sticker as it came from Rolex.
    Would you want to part ways with either one ?!

Well I managed to get one and love it again:) it’s lovely forgotten how much so. Its just come back from service and had a new bezal insert, crown and glass. Also almost a complete set only thing missing is the outer white box.
    Congrats, really nice. These pictures aren't helping me at all...

Blog Entries
    Perfect fit for a smaller wrist

Master
    I am on my 4th SDc and will probably let this one go too in order to balance the books a bit.
    There's a bit of a nagging doubt that I'd be making a bit of a financial mistake doing it though.
    My last 3 were traded for a Kermit plus £800 from me,a Seadweller 1665 plus £6,200 from me and an Explorer 1016 -pretty much straight swap.
    I still have those 3.
    I suppose it maybe indicates I like the SDc but it's expendable in collectors terms.

Crikey, you don't hang around. Well done and a freshly serviced watch as well.

Looks great. Like the sneaky Milgauss trying to muscle in on the photo.

I still regret selling mine for around £7.5k, but it was a couple of years ago and the money went to buying a 5512 at the time.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 19th December 2020 at 22:10.