closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 116600 SD4K Ceramic opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I am on my 4th SDc and will probably let this one go too in order to balance the books a bit.
    If I move house without sacrificing any watches by the end of March I'll chop something for it if you still feel the same way then.

I am on my 4th SDc and will probably let this one go too in order to balance the books a bit.
    There's a bit of a nagging doubt that I'd be making a bit of a financial mistake doing it though.
    My last 3 were traded for a Kermit plus £800 from me,a Seadweller 1665 plus £6,200 from me and an Explorer 1016 -pretty much straight swap.
    I still have those 3.
    I suppose it maybe indicates I like the SDc but it's expendable in collectors terms.
    Still have it mate :)

Love Sd especially the sd4k and the 4 5 dig models.
    Don't think sell it but then again never say never

Master
    I know I should slow down I absolutely love my Z blue it’s my daily wearer. I am very lucky to have been able to buy one that has just come back from a full service; stickers on the case.

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Would you want to part ways with either one ?!
    I used to have three. And needed money for something. I sold one for -15% from list price three weeks before it was announced they'd be discontinued. It was untouched in stickers.

I'm not very good at timing the market. If I sold one today, they'd probably fly a few weeks later. So I'll hold on to them for now.

Thanks though!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I’m going to confidently predict that the sd4000 will become an über rare watch for the discerning collector in the future. How long this may take, I don’t know. What I do know, judging by history, is that all the rare watches that nobody wanted at the time of sale (early Daytona’s?) that Rolex couldn’t shift and stopped producing, have all become holy grails of some sort and values risen accordingly.
    Not going to happen - for the very simple reason: I've got one! The time to buy is if I ever get rid. Prices will rocket the day after!

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Not going to happen - for the very simple reason: I've got one! The time to buy is if I ever get rid. Prices will rocket the day after!
    You and me both. And I said that as I'm trying to buy one now. The second it's in my hands everything will drop.

Craftsman
    Bit of a story with mine so would struggle to let it go but a true future classic for sure.
    Sadly due to the prices of these now and the fact I always feel it wears small I never seem to have it on the wrist.
    Maybe a show on Christmas Day as per the last time I had it on my wrist as per the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    Bit of a story with mine so would struggle to let it go but a true future classic for sure.
    Sadly due to the prices of these now and the fact I always feel it wears small I never seem to have it on the wrist.
    Maybe a show on Christmas Day as per the last time I had it on my wrist as per the photo.
    Yes you could easily pull off a DSSD.

It’s difficult when watches become sentimental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Love mine! Don’t think I could ever bring myself to sell it...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    I remember these not being sought after and being sold relatively cheaper.....and then they got pulled.
    I tried one at my AD who had one in the window and thought it was just ok
    I bought mine new from Goldsmiths it was in the window for £6,900 and I was able to pay less using a gift card scheme through work, think I saved 12.5%. I sold it as I preferred my 5513 at the time, think it sold for c.£6k unmarked. Then it was discontinued...

I keep trying to own a modern Rolex and let my 5513 go but after a Milgauss GV, Hulk (bought and sold for under £6k), an Explorer I (sold for just over £4K) and the Sea-Dweller I’ve failed. Strange times when modern models that were relatively “meh” at the time seem to be appreciating at least as fast as some vintage.

Any

Craftsman
    What these at now guys? Quite fancy one

Master
    I still keep eyeing them. January saw one for around 12k at watchfinder but thought it’s too much, now they’re up at 14k….. 🤦🏽*♂️

Still really want one

Anyone else see pictures of a watch which looks stunning in everyone else's pictures but looks meh on your wrist? This is the SDc for me.

I've worn the SDc two or three times since I got it late December but wear my Sub 41 ND almost daily. Maybe it needs more time and maybe I need to diet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Anyone else see pictures of a watch which looks stunning in everyone else's pictures but looks meh on your wrist? This is the SDc for me.

I've worn the SDc two or three times since I got it late December but wear my Sub 41 ND almost daily. Maybe it needs more time and maybe I need to diet.
    I’ll take it off your hands :)

Ironically I’ve just put myself on ze list for a sub ND

Master
    I’ve become more aware of how Rolex, and competitors, are trying to ‘future proof’ their designs. Ceramic is very tough, resilient. As they move to Oysterflex, they offer watche’s capable of many years of tough use while still looking good. For example, I’ve been wearing a 42mm white gold Yachtmaster nearly every day for a year. And it looks just fine. That’s pleasing.
    Earlier models don’t age so well, especially bracelets, which are scratch magnets.

Poor fitting endlinks, positioning of the date window and matt dial are all negative for this watch but that said I’d probably switch my 126600 for one again because that just doesn’t get worn, too big.
    Last edited by Justin Case; 9th June 2021 at 11:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Poor fitting end, positioning of the date window and matt dial are all negative for this watch but that said I’d probably switch my 126600 for one again because that just doesn’t get worn, too big.
    Prime candidate for safe queen although I don't really believe in those.

Prime candidate for safe queen although I don't really believe in those.
    Just think of Uncle Mick. Put it in the safe and don't sell - a sure fire winner in the long term.

Remember, a Rolex is not to be worn and enjoyed as a watch, it is an astute piece of financial management

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Just think of Uncle Mick. Put it in the safe and don't sell - a sure fire winner in the long term.

Remember, a Rolex is not to be worn and enjoyed as a watch, it is an astute piece of financial management
    "You never actually own a Rolex. You merely look after it for the next generation." :D

Craftsman
    Passed on one of these for 8.5k in 2019. I just couldn't get over the date window placement. Having sold my Sub I'm hankering for another diver now and am talking myself around.

In a few years, when these are selling for £30k, it will seem nuts that they were once available for only £14k.

Master
    Poor fitting endlinks, positioning of the date window and matt dial are all negative for this watch but that said I’d probably switch my 126600 for one again because that just doesn’t get worn, too big.
    No skin in this game now as I sold mine to Wileey but I don't think you will get anyone swapping it for a 126600 nowadays.

No skin in this game now as I sold mine to Wileey but I don't think you will get anyone swapping it for a 126600 nowadays.
    Would be a few K their way I think.

The 126600 is the nicer watch but just too large, sadly.

Holding it for the sake of it really.
    Last edited by Justin Case; 9th June 2021 at 19:35.

Master
    Would be a few K their way I think.

The 126600 is the nicer watch but just too large, sadly.

Holding it for the sake of it really.
    Lol wrong thread for that opinion
    The 126600 was when the music died for the seadweller.

Lol wrong thread for that opinion
    The 126600 was when the music died for the seadweller.
    Haha well hopefully they kill it off as they did the SD4K.

Master
    Always been keen to try the SD4K. I love the 43mm, wear it fairly regularly.

Wiley's views have made me think I already have the right watch!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Always been keen to try the SD4K. I love the 43mm, wear it fairly regularly.

Wiley's views have made me think I already have the right watch!
    If you have wrists like Wiley's then you're probably correct.

Master
    For me, there needs to be more emphasis on the thickness of the design. That, together with the shape of the lugs, has a central role. Both the Daytona and the YM 42 make strong use of both features. The width is just one feature, and not always the defining one. Also, bracelet or strap size is pretty key.
    It’s the whole package, not just one case measurement.
    Last edited by paskinner; 9th June 2021 at 20:22.

Master
    If you have wrists like Wiley's then you're probably correct.
    I don't - but I just like the feel of the 43. I could be an anomoly here. I prefer it to the 41mm sub.
    However, I still want to try the 4K - and maybe that will win. I have never tried one.
    It took me a few weeks of wearing the 43 to bond with it, was not love at first sight...but now I wear a smaller watch and it feels weird.

Perhaps just becomes a habit.

I bought my SD4k a few years ago to try whilst my GMTc was at service

At first it seemed bit too heavy but it wasn’t long before it’s charms won me over. No cyclops, matt dial, and 40mm make it a great package.

Out of my 4 Rolex (SD4k, Hulk, GV and GMTc) this one would be the last to go. I wear it a great deal and whilst I don’t abuse it wear it hiking etc and it’s built like a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD4k and SD43 are the best of modern Rolexes and for me the best Rolexes of all time. Choice depends on your wrist size and preference. No idea when or if SD43 will be discontinued or how the prices will be in future but that does not deter me from having or wearing them.

I do like a unique Rolex that has its own dial, bracelet, case etc

116600 excels in this regard.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought mine on the week they were released in 2014. It’s a perfect all rounder. But I never wear it. If I want a modern ceramic, I’ll wear the BLNR. If I want a tool watch, it’s the older 16600. Funny that it’s the last watch I’d choose to wear in my collection but also the one I’d keep if I could have only one. It does everything pretty well. Jack of all trades etc..
    Last edited by Dave O'Sullivan; 9th June 2021 at 22:29.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I also think this is the one that people will go batty over in about 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I also think this is the one that people will go batty over in about 30 years.
    Think you're spot on there and is probably why owners seems so reluctant to sell.

Think you're spot on there and is probably why owners seems so reluctant to sell.
    It does tick a few of the quirky boxes that suggest in years to come people will be willing to kill for one. Last 40mm SD, only 40mm Ceramic SD, only available for a short time, wasn't initially popular due to people loving the 16600, disappeared over night when the SD43 was announced.

Definitely one to bung in the safe and take a longer term punt on...

I really miss mine, sold it on here for 5.8k, I only moved it on as I was raising funds for another quite expensive watch, my plan was as they weren't very popular at the time to buy another one for similar money a short time later, Rolex then discontinued it, if I'd had any idea I never would have sold it. Just trying to see if i can come to terms with paying 14k for another one now

Craftsman
    Considered one myself, but I still prefer its predecessor the 16600 even though it is technically an inferior watch.

Master
    I was wondering. Ceramic is very useful, and tough. But look at the wg Daytona , 116509, models. Some come with ceramic, others have been left with the older metal bezel, which marks far more easily.
    Is this expressing itself in used prices? Probably not. I have become a fan of ceramic, but a pure metal bezel may become more ‘desirable’.
    We may start to see a similar division between metal bracelets and Oysterflex.

Craftsman
    I’ve had mine on the oysterflex for the last 6 months or so and it’s perfect

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhayward View Post
    I’ve had mine on the oysterflex for the last 6 months or so and it’s perfect.
    Which clasp do you have on that out of interest? I'm guessing you need to own an Oysterflex model to be able to buy the additional blades.

Master
    Unworn 116600's on Ch24 for £19k. Crikey!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Unworn 116600's on Ch24 for £19k. Crikey!!

I doubt the stickered watches remaining in the world will ever be worn now, just held as a commodity.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    I doubt the stickered watches remaining in the world will ever be worn now, just held as a commodity.
    Undoubtedly mate!

Craftsman
    Which clasp do you have on that out of interest? I'm guessing you need to own an Oysterflex model to be able to buy the additional blades.
    I use the clasp from the SD4K, the oysterflex blades pop up here for sale or you can order them from a Rolex AD also if you know someone that has a model which uses them.

You can order Rolex Oyster flex for a non Oyster flex watch? That's pretty cool

How much are they direct from AD?

I can concur a 116600 on a perfectly sized Oyster Flex it is a dream. Still gets more wrist time on the Oyster bracelet as that is pretty much perfection but its nice to have an option to change now and then.
    Last edited by paneristi372; 11th June 2021 at 15:39.

Anyone with a new Sub 41 and an Oysterflex? I'm guessing the Daytona OF might be a bit small and the YM42 might be too big?

Anyone with a new Sub 41 and an Oysterflex? I'm guessing the Daytona OF might be a bit small and the YM42 might be too big?
    I believe the WG Yachtmaster 42mm is a 21mm lug so that should work perfectly on the new Submariners.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    I believe the WG Yachtmaster 42mm is a 21mm lug so that should work perfectly on the new Submariners.
    Perfect, thank you. I'm on the list for the WG Yachtmaster so might try order an extra strap if I get to pick one up.