closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Telescopes

Craftsman

Telescopes

Looking to get one and whilst it will be more towards the entry level, I am still keen to spend enough to get one of decent quality. I am guessing it is all down to the lenses. It will be hobbyist stuff. I have good views from the house and also want to be able to do some night stuff. Even better if I can take photos from it. Appreciate any advice from users on must haves as well as any avoid type comments to help me narrow my search.

If you want good day time viewing and night viewing then there are scopes that could cope with both but probabley do neither to their best.

For astronomy you want aperture so the bigger the end optic or mirror the more light you will pull in and the more magnification as long as the optics stand up to the mag that is.

Daytime you have lots of light so aperture is not so vital, if you have good views I would buy some big binoculars and tripod mount them if you want 10x plus magnification.

Something like this SKYWATCHER STARTRAVEL 102mm would be a good starting point at around £200 for astro viewing, the reflector based scopes are good but often need cooling down before viewing, just to say telescopes can take up a bit of room once set up..

Last edited by murkeywaters; 16th December 2020 at 14:48.

If you can afford it I would recommend getting one with a decent goto system from Meade or Nexstar. Makes finding what you are looking for much easier and they will track object as well.

Blog Entries
    During my astronomy degree I learned a rule of thumb for a personal telescope is 3” primary optic for a refractor (lens) and 6” for a reflector. Anything less compromises on image quality as magnifications are like stretching a balloon instead of increasing resolution. Quite a few types of reflector telescope: A a Newtonian reflector is compact, Cassagrain (sp) is another. My personal preference is a refractor as it’s somewhat more robust.

If taking photos then a motor drive is almost a necessity for the mount - as objects move across the FOV quickly. There are two types of mount - equatorial and azimuth - equatorial is set to the angle (as a function of longitude) of your position and the telescope then moves just in one plain to track a celestial object.

Hope that helps.

try looking in “Sky and Telescope” for second hand.

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

... and Google 'choosing and using first astronomical telescope'

If you were to consider joining a local astronomy club you might have access to loan 'scopes ... and you'd certainly have access to advice

Many astro clubs / societies are meeting via ZOOM ... and some are still observing whilst maintaining social distancing at their chosen observing sites

Any books written by Neil English give excellent advice when choosing astro 'scopes ... and the books can be bought s/h

NE has a new book due for publication in the new year ... he favours Newtonian 'scopes http://neilenglish.net/new-book-on-the-way/

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the advice and recommendations. With a budget of around £200 to £250 that Startravel 102 looks like a strong contender, Can’t find if it can take a smartphone but has a DSLR connector. A scope with GOTO would be great but seems to add another £100 unfortunately to starting prices. Don’t know what is happening with stock but nowhere seems to have these available. Must have checked over a dozen sites. In fact generally, stock of telescopes just seems low everywhere. Dark nights and Christmas presents making them popular? Perhaps a good thing as finding out there is so much to read up on and learn before choosing. Forcing me to hold back from making an impulse purchase.

Global lock down has increased demand, and I assume that Asian production bottle necks have reduced supply.
    Stock is nearly none existent.
    We started with a beginners 3-inch reflector set up, then moved onto an 8-inch dobsonian telescope.
    A selection of 4 or 5 decent eyepieces will far exceed the price of a scope, but you can upgrade those later.

Good advice is try before you buy - the best place to do that is by talking with owners at a local club about the pros and cons, and see what spec you may need to add to the wish list.